• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Draft |OT| A McMahon on every show

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

No. They just did one on one backstage interviews on the WWE Network. you didn't get much of any reactions on Smackdown itself.

No. The best we got was post-draft interviews on the network

Edit: Beaten like smackdown's ratings in 3 months time.

Just baffling to me.

It's such a relatively simple thing, presentation-wise, that they could've done to help emphasize how unique this show is compared to the typical WWE weekly TV episode.

I always enjoyed the locker room reaction shots from the old Drafts.

BroBot

New commentary teams for Raw and Smackdown:

https://www.wwe.com/article/new-wwe-announce-teams-revealed

Raw = Michael Cole, Corey Graves, and Byron Saxton

SmackDown = Mauro Ranallo, JBL, and David Otunga

I hope Michael Cole is going to be a heel commentator again...

giphy.gif

Fuck no...Can't JBL stay on RAW?

Well that's SD down the toilet. RAW might be better with a heel Graves though, so that's cool.

Heroman

Banned
Just baffling to me.

It's such a relatively simple thing, presentation-wise, that they could've done to help emphasize how unique this show is compared to the typical WWE weekly TV episode.

I always enjoyed the locker room reaction shots from the old Drafts.

all we got was this
TiGfaFY.gif

Sephzilla

Just watched Cesaro's interview. He's probably going to get heat for it but everything he said there was 100% spot on. Smackdown's picks were out of line with the kayfabe message they were putting out and nobody gives a flying fuck about Stephanie

hamchan

https://www.wwe.com/article/new-wwe-announce-teams-revealed

Superstars = Tom Phillips and Corey Graves

Main Event = Tom Phillips and David Otunga

Goddamn it, adding a 3 Michelin star $1000 dinner to a piece of shit doesn't change the fact that you're still eating shit.

This is how I feel about this lineup.

We could have had Mauro and Graves on Smackdown instead and kept the crap on RAW, what a missed opportunity.

Ithil

I think there's a difference between an NXT crowd and a WWE crowd, and you already hinted at it. Sometimes wrestlers can make the transition from NXT to WWE with no problem. Maybe Bayley is one of them. I'm not sold on that particular notion.

We'll see.

That Brooklyn crowd was the same crowd that was there the next day for Summerslam. We're not talking 400 college kids in Full Sail here.

Raw64life

I joked with one of my friends that they were going to get rid of Lawler by simply not drafting him. Can't believe they actually did it lol. I hope they at least told him in advance.

I joked with one of my friends that they were going to get rid of Lawler by simply not drafting him. Can't believe they actually did it lol. I hope they at least told him in advance.

I wonder if he has a new role in the company or they are just sending him home.

Son Of D

how is gonna work the feud between Orton and Lesnar?
they just gonna do a speech in each show without the other guy
or they can go to the other show?

They'll just have Heyman do all the build and say that he isn't exclusive to either brand so he can appear on Smackdown to confront Orton.

wagamer

I haven't been following WWE for a while and few pages of this thread did not tell the answer: How are championships going to be handled now?

There are valid competitors for every championship on both brands. Are there going to be inter-brand storylines (makes the draft kinda pointless) or are they going to be switching champions/belts between brands somehow?

I haven't been following WWE for a while and few pages of this thread did not tell the answer: How are championships going to be handled now?

There are valid competitors for every championship on both brands. Are there going to be inter-brand storylines (makes the draft kinda pointless) or are they going to be switching champions/belts between brands somehow?
We don't know but they'll probably be exclusive and new titles will probably be introduced

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anybody have a summary of what Cesaro said?

Sephzilla

Anybody have a summary of what Cesaro said?

• Not sure why he was taken in the 7th round or whatever. Figured he should have been a top 10 pick
  • Is curious why Smackdown didn't draft him since that was supposed to be the show about wrestling
  • Didn't give a shit about if Mick and Steph get along because that shouldn't be the center of attention
  • Says "hey, I can talk if i actually get chances to talk"

• Not sure why he was taken in the 7th round or whatever. Figured he should have been a top 10 pick
  • Is curious why Smackdown didn't draft him since that was supposed to be the show about wrestling
  • Didn't give a shit about if Mick and Steph get along because that shouldn't be the center of attention

Gotta catch that brass ring.

Sephzilla

Cesaro will probably catch heat for the bit where he straight up said he doesn't care about Mick/Steph. But he's right. Steph's teetering on X-Pac heat at this point because she's a heel who's basically untouchable and she hogs way too much spotlight.

Ithil

Cesaro will probably catch heat for the bit where he straight up said he doesn't care about Mick/Steph. But he's right. Steph's teetering on X-Pac heat at this point because she's a heel who's basically untouchable and she hogs way too much spotlight.

What he said is true anyway. It's absurd that the first thing you're supposed to talk about after you're drafted is authority figure drama, further emphasizing that Stephanie is the star of the show and you're nothing.

KingBroly

Banned

Teetering? She's been that way for years. Every time her music comes on, I mute it because I'm just tired of seeing/listening her. She's not Mr. McMahon, not even close. She's not entertaining. She's annoying.

Anth0ny

That stupid voice Steph would use when saying the name of the wrestler she drafted made me want to blow my brains out

She's the fuckingg worst

I don't mind Steph but I think we've all been overexposed to her. She needs to take a long break. The thing is, I don't expect Mick to be around as GM that long so I am sure we will still be seeing a lot of her.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Thanks. Wow.

GunBR

One thing that they proved with the draft is how they care about the (near) future of NXT

Only two man we're drafted, including one that nobody will miss (Mojo). Not even Tye or Aries got drafted as some people expected
The female roster got a bigger hit, but they made sure to leave the biggest name.

And I'm still more optimistic about Smackdown.
I can see some wrestlers that are stuck on the mid-low card like Del Rio and Ziggler (everyone hates him here, but he always get a good pop) getting better feuds, because the roster is smaller.

When did people turn on Ziggler? He used to be big on GAF.

He's down in the dumps with most of GAF sort of like how Miz was for so long.

I personally went cold on Ziggler because it felt like his feuds were going nowhere but I still think he could be championship material.

Caderfix

When did people turn on Ziggler?

He looks stupid, his voice is annoying, his showoff gimmick is irritating, he oversells EVERYTHING, his feuds are terrible and, the worst thing imo, he keeps selling the injury when he's going for the tag for 5 fucking minutes without moving an inch, and then just jumps across the ring to complete the tag.

Fuck Ziggler.

Hasney

Watching this now, those last televised picks were great in terms of hilarious delivery.

Foley: "I did something great here 18 years ago, here's Cesaro"

Shane: "We're going to add some FIRE to Smackdown, so we pick former World Heavyweight Champion Kane Alberto Del Rio"

DeathyBoy

Banned
I don't mind Steph but I think we've all been overexposed to her. She needs to take a long break. The thing is, I don't expect Mick to be around as GM that long so I am sure we will still be seeing a lot of her.

Nostalgic for 2000 when people gave a shit about his terrible fucking jokes.

Like I'm sorry, but the guy needs to just go away. He looks like shit, he's clearly not as sharp as he used to be, and everytime he shows up it gets a little more embarassing. And re: looking like shit, it's not the weight - it's the fact he doesn't give a fuck about looking slightly presentable.

At least in 2000 he got a semi-decent haircut.

Like compare him to DB, who cut his hair and beard for the gig, and you've got a world of difference in terms of how they're viewing the gig.

Sephzilla

When did people turn on Ziggler? He used to be big on GAF.

He's down in the dumps with most of GAF sort of like how Miz was for so long.

I personally went cold on Ziggler because it felt like his feuds were going nowhere but I still think he could be championship material.

Because Ziggler never evolved from being a shallow HBK knock off and in some ways actually regressed.

Nostalgic for 2000 when people gave a shit about his terrible fucking jokes.

Like I'm sorry, but the guy needs to just go away. He looks like shit, he's clearly not as sharp as he used to be, and everytime he shows up it gets a little more embarassing. And re: looking like shit, it's not the weight - it's the fact he doesn't give a fuck about looking slightly presentable.

At least in 2000 he got a semi-decent haircut.

Like compare him to DB, who cut his hair and beard for the gig, and you've got a world of difference in terms of how they're viewing the gig.

I mentioned this during Raw but he looks out of place compared to everyone else who is supposed to be running the show. The whole thing is embarrassing. I really like him but GM just isn't a good fit.

Sephzilla

The newest shit thing Steph has been doing lately is anytime a face gets a good zinger in at her Steph goes off script for a second to awkwardly cut into someone's promo and get some halfassed last word in. It's annoying as fuck because it's more of her not letting anyone get over plus it ruins the pace of a segment.

She wouldn't get away with that shit with Rock or Austin.

Sephzilla

The lesson for everyone today.

Hugely disappointing show. They just made the rosters shittier. Nothing changed. There's no spark.

Real sports drafts are about new stars. Don't know what last night was about.

Maybe now you understand why everyone is so cynical about WWE. This frequent disappointment has been going on for years at this point. At least now the ratings are starting to reflect it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
The newest shit thing Steph has been doing lately is anytime a face gets a good zinger in at her Steph goes off script for a second to awkwardly cut into someone's promo and get some halfassed last word in. It's annoying as fuck because it's more of her not letting anyone get over plus it ruins the pace of a segment.

She wouldn't get away with that shit with Rock or Austin.

Rock and Austin would just adlib themselves. So would Punk or Cena. Owens too probably. Everyone else cuts scripted promos and look confused when asked to adlib.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom