• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE makes an interesting change to this year's Royal Rumble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roman Reigns to defend WWE title in the Royal Rumble match

LGqQhGk.png

-For only the second time in history, the WWE World Heavyweight championship will be on the line in a Royal Rumble match. That's because the Chairman announced the not only would Reigns be defending his title at the pay-per-view (PPV), but he'll be doing it against 29 other men in the over-the-top rope elimination battle royal.

-There are currently nine other men in the match, including Roman's old foe Bray Wyatt and his family. Rumors have put Brock Lesnar as a likely participant, something that becomes even more interesting with this new stipulation.

I feel like WWE had to do something, not this necessarily, but some move to freshen up the Royal Rumble match. In years past there were many variables involved (World Heavyweight Title, Elimination Chamber PPV) that meant there was always a handful of credible competitors who could reasonably win the Rumble. Since the titles have been consolidated and the Elimination Chamber is gone, the burden of headlining Wrestlemania and selling out massive football stadiums rests of the shoulders of the Rumble winner and narrows the pool of potential winners drastically, making the match extremely predictable.

The only surprise left is which novelty acts will be trotted out as surprise entrants (with no believable hope of winning) and how Kofi Kingston will acrobatically stave off elimination. Now we have the potential for a title change and also the main event of 'Mania remains fluid since there's always the chance the title could change hands in the time inbetween. This is assuming that the winner of the Rumble no longer gets an automatic title match at 'Mania, the logic being they can't wrestle against themselves.

So now anyone can win the Royal Rumble since it's not locked to the main event of Wrestlemania, making this year's event a return to form for one of the funnest shows of the year.

yuraya

God damn it. And I was all excited for Roman winning the belt so he would stay far fuck away from the Rumble match itself.

3 years in a row now he ruins this PPV.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Roman Reigns is a great talent, this is an interesting twist to keep him out of the title picture...if they can.

Definitely the most exciting Rumble in quite some time, always unpredictable! Make sure you sign up for the WWE Network at network.wwe.com, and your trial month will give you the Rumble free!

Entropia

No One Remembers
While it's a neat idea, the entire purpose of it is to make the rumble focus on Reigns.

Do I think Roman will win? No. But, I also have no idea who could win.

Chopper

When they announced this on Raw, I just thought, "Great. Now Roman can ruin the Rumble again". I'm assuming he'll win it. And if not, he'll just win the title back at Mania. Hype deflated.

IconGrist

I wonder if the ones saying Reigns will eliminate the other 29 men are serious. Like the guys Reigns isn't currently punching won't be throwing each other out as well. He'll get maybe 11-15 on his own (assuming he wins which is likely but yea).

Pro

So with The Rock confirmed for Wrestlemania, Brock takes title from Roman Reigns/starts beef, then The Rock fights Brock at Wrestlemania to defend his cousin right?

BFIB

Just rewatch RR 92 instead to hear not only the greatest commentary of all time, but also one of the best Rumble matches of all time.

adj_noun

I wonder if the ones saying Reigns will eliminate the other 29 men are serious.

Give him a 1-30 Diesel style elimination angle. Just throwing dudes out one after another. Daniel Bryan goes out at 30.

I just want to hear how loud boos can get.

Just rewatch RR 92 instead to hear not only the greatest commentary of all time, but also one of the best Rumble matches of all time.

Heenan was so good on that one.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Roman Reigns will be last in the ring with all the new signings... AJ Styles will come out the winner.

Last year we got the amazing Cena-Rollins-Brock Triple Threat match for the title. While in the Rumble Roman spent much of his time resting in the corner. If putting the title on the line is telegraphing Roman winning the Rumble again this is going to be very disappointing. The fans will burn the arena down.

This isn't fair to Flair!

Although you'll have to watch the ending on YouTube for the real crowd reaction and original commentary by Monsoon.

Toki767

Either Reigns wins the Rumble and makes it boring or he loses and looks like a loser for having lost the belt twice in 2 months.

This is a no win situation. I don't know what WWE creative was thinking other than "We have to make Reigns look strong."

BFIB

Reigns is #1. Reigns ends up being eliminated by Brock. Rock is a surprise entrant at #30 and eliminates Brock.

Rock/Brock set for WM. McMahon continues his tirade against Reigns, and Reigns somehow ends up in the main event at WM. 3 way dance for the title. Brock vs. Rock vs. Reigns.

Reigns wins the strap at WM.

Heel

Make Roman Reigns look weak, in order to eventually look even stronger.

I think that's what the kids are saying, anyway.

rumble's been stale for a really long time. This should give it a good shot in the arm!

Y'all think Heath Slater can go the distance maybe? Imagine that!

So with The Rock confirmed for Wrestlemania, Brock takes title from Roman Reigns/starts beef, then The Rock fights Brock at Wrestlemania to defend his cousin right?

Lol, that would make Roman look like a pussy, which he doesn't need right now.

Brock vs. Roman 2 would be awful as well, as Roman would get booed going up against Brock. Vince is dumb enough to think otherwise though.

Most obvious is HHH wins at the Rumble, then puts Roman over at WM.

Pro

Lol, that would make Roman look like a pussy, which he doesn't need right now.

Brock vs. Roman 2 would be awful as well, as Roman would get booed going up against Brock. Vince is dumb enough to think otherwise though.

Most obvious is HHH wins at the Rumble, then puts Roman over at WM.

Just thinking The Rock has to fight someone like Brock at WM to make it the "Biggest event in History" like they are claiming. Barring Stone Cold showing up, The Rock is going to be the headliner. Could see Brock and him having a story line going in the coming months by way of Roman Reigns.

orioto

Good Art™
That's not interesting, that's just the WWE auto destroying itself by making 100% of its booking focused on Reigns. They could as much renamed the ppv "Will reigns overcome the odds"

Worst thing about this is that we all know that Reigns is gonna be of the last two in the ring. I think it would be insanely dramatic if Reigns got eliminated before the final two, but I think odds are likely that he is either going to win or lose and then be in the match for the title come Wrestlemania.

OrochiJR

The focus on Reigns and the title now is a little strange. I mean, he is a 2 time champion right now as it is. Do they want to use the Rumble to take the strap away from him (while he still can look strong with 20-something eliminations) to make him a 3 time champion at Mania?

The whole thing would have made more sense without the title and if he hadn't had held the belt yet. Like, Vince could have announced he had to enter as one of the first two entries and he would have to win the Rumble for a title match at Mania.

Modern rumble booking has always gone the most boring, predicable, "company man" route.

So my guess is Roman enters at Number 1 and still wins it.

klonere

Banned
I really hope they just have Roman murder everyone, struggle with some Authority fuckery and still win. Fastlane can setup some WM main event where if Roman wins the Authority is disbanded forever FOR REAL this time.

Just go all the way with making Roman the only credible guy on the roster, no half measures. At least then I can't be tempted into watching!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom