• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

Aiii

So not worth it
You can't lose what you never had. I feel like those people would never have subbed anyway, and would just download the content from torrent sites later.
If it was just the content I would agree with you, but the live PPV's are probably worth at least one extra out of those for people.

strobogo

Banned
DM, justify the New Generation to me.

One week has Mantaur, Mable, Henry Godwinn, Man Mountain Rock.

The 100th episode has a long Tatanka vs Lex match, and then the interview segment with LT and Bam Bam via satellite. For starters, Vince and Corny are clearly in front of a green screen when they were live moments earlier, and now Vince is wearing different clothes and is orange. During the interview, Bam Bam starts coughing and they leave it in, not bothering to do more than one take.

OMMohsk.gif

Then right after that, Vince and Corny are back in front of the live crowd for a face Doink squash match.

greyshark

So I had my wallet stolen the day before my payment for the WWE network was due. I had called to cancel my CC and was getting a new one mailed to me, and the next day I get an email from WWE saying my account was suspended. No big deal, I wasn't planning on using it over the next few days anyway. Fast forward to the day I get my new CC in the mail - I go to reinstate my WWE account and it's been completely deleted. I call and they say I can re-sign up as if I was a new subscriber if I wanted, but my old account is totally gone.

Why would they be so efficient at deleting my account? I would think they would want to make sure I made good on the six month commitment, but one missed payment and they immediately cut the cord on me. Very strange.

DMczaf

The 100th episode has a long Tatanka vs Lex match, and then the interview segment with LT and Bam Bam via satellite. For starters, Vince and Corny are clearly in front of a green screen when they were live moments earlier, and now Vince is wearing different clothes and is orange. During the interview, Bam Bam starts coughing and they leave it in, not bothering to do more than one take.

OMMohsk.gif

Then right after that, Vince and Corny are back in front of the live crowd for a face Doink squash match.

And all of that is more interesting than a standard episode of Raw today.

strobogo

Banned
There are two Nasty Eras. You can't escape them.

You have two guys who can't wrestler and are in terrible shape. It makes sense to book them in short brawls. Instead, they went about a year and a half of having the longest or second longest match on every PPV/Clash they were on.

jred2k

I find it weird that 2007 still had that story of dirty, smoky look to tge arenas. I associate that look more with 2001 - 2004 or so. I wasn't watching in 2007 so it kind of blows my mind that CM Punk and Benoit were in the company at the same time. WWECW just seems like it was such a weird mix of guys.

strobogo

Banned
The smokey look was probably because of the ridiculous amount of pyro and the smoke never really dissipated much. I don't really associate dirty smokey arenas with anything after 2000, even though the ECW show tried to invoke that look.

Hawkguy

Neo Member
Hey I never really watched too much WCW back in the day, I was always more of a WWF kid. I'd like to know what the deal is with Sting though. Everyone always talk about hows he this icon, but I never really got to understand what his deal is, or what he has done. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be super appreciative. I'd love to see the beginnings of his crow character and his rise to the top during the ppvs in chronological order.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There are two Nasty Eras. You can't escape them.

You have two guys who can't wrestler and are in terrible shape. It makes sense to book them in short brawls. Instead, they went about a year and a half of having the longest or second longest match on every PPV/Clash they were on.

See I never looked it up before and assumed their run in WCW coincided with Hogan coming back, nope. They are a cancer on the division nearly a year before he shows up.

strobogo

Banned
Hey I never really watched too much WCW back in the day, I was always more of a WWF kid. I'd like to know what the deal is with Sting though. Everyone always talk about hows he this icon, but I never really got to understand what his deal is, or what he has done. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be super appreciative. I'd love to see the beginnings of his crow character and his rise to the top during the ppvs in chronological order.

The crow stuff didn't start until towards the end of 1996 and all the best Crow Sting moments were on Nitro, which isn't up on the Network yet. But as Surfer Sting, his best work was in 1991-1994, with great stuff with Vader and Cactus Jack.

His rise to the top starts in 1987. He starts at the bottom of the cards but is super over right away before having a star making match with Ric Flair and then wins the title at the Great American Bash 1990 and was a top guy until Hogan came in.

Hawkguy

Neo Member
The crow stuff didn't start until towards the end of 1996 and all the best Crow Sting moments were on Nitro, which isn't up on the Network yet. But as Surfer Sting, his best work was in 1991-1994, with great stuff with Vader and Cactus Jack.

His rise to the top starts in 1987. He starts at the bottom of the cards but is super over right away before having a star making match with Ric Flair and then wins the title at the Great American Bash 1990 and was a top guy until Hogan came in.

Man I really wish the network had a superstars page. It's a shame I gotta go to a message board and ask people for advice. I think it would be real cool if I could just go to a wrestler's page, read a comprehensive biography on their career, and see a list of their greatest promos and matches and etc. I really appreciate the wide variety of content that the network offers, I really do feel like one of the few that sees the value in the 9.99 a month, but I think they can really refine the whole user experience. The network should really make it easier for people to discover new content because at the surface it really seems daunting and impenetrable for a casual viewer like me.

Btw from what I understand some of those early WCW ppvs were kinda bad, would I still be safe just watching Sting matches? Know of any duds I should just avoid?

strobogo

Banned
Man I really wish the network had a superstars page. It's a shame I gotta go to a message board and ask people for advice. I think it would be real cool if I could just go to a wrestler's page, read a comprehensive biography on their career, and see a list of their greatest promos and matches and etc. I really appreciate the wide variety of content that the network offers, I really do feel like one of the few that sees the value in the 9.99 a month, but I think they can really refine the whole user experience. The network should really make it easier for people to discover new content because at the surface it really seems daunting and impenetrable for a casual viewer like me.

Btw from what I understand some of those early WCW ppvs were kinda bad, would I still be safe just watching Sting matches? Know of any duds I should just avoid?

Matches to watch:

Sting vs Ric Flair Clash of The Champions 1
Sting/Dusty Rhodes vs Arn Anderson/Tully Blanchard COTC 2
Sting/Nikita Koloff vs Arn Anderson/Tully Blanchard Great American Bash 1988
Sting vs Barry Windham COTC 3
Sting vs Great Muta GAB 1989
Sting/Ric Flair vs Dick Slater/Great Muta COTC 8
Sting/Ric Flair vs Terry Funk/Great Muta Halloween Havoc 1989
Sting vs Ric Flair, Lex Luger, Great Muta all at Starrcade 1989
Sting vs Ric Flair GAB 1990
Sting vs Sid HH 1990 (maybe)
Sting/Steiners/Brian Pillman vs Four Horsemen War Games Wrestle War 1991
Sting/Lex Luger vs Steiners Superbrawl 1 1991
Sting vs Nikita Koloff COTC 15
Sting/Ricky Steamboat vs Rick Rude/Steve Austin COTC 18
Sting's Squadron vs Four Horsemen War Games Wrestle War 1992
Sting vs Cactus Jack Beach Blast 1992
Sting vs Vader GAB 1992
Sting vs Rick Rude COTC 21
Sting vs Vader Starrcade 1992
Sting vs Vader Superbrawl III 1993
Sting/Dustin Rhodes/British Bulldog vs Vader/Sid/Rick Rude COTC 23
Sting/Bulldog vs Vader/Sid Beach Blast 1993
Sting/Ric Flair vs Vader/Rick Rude COTC 26
Sting vs Rick Rude Spring Stampede 1994
Sting vs Vader Slamboree 1994
Sting vs Ric Flair COTC 27
Sting vs Vader vs Guardian Angel Triangle Elimination Match Fall Brawl 1994

After that it is all up in the air as Sting was downgraded with Hogan and Savage taking up the top spots, so he was shunted down and got stuck working with Meng or tagging with Hogan/Savage. After the Crow gimmick started, all of his best matches were on Nitro.

Hawkguy

Neo Member
Matches to watch:

Sting vs Vader GAB 1992

After that it is all up in the air as Sting was downgraded with Hogan and Savage taking up the top spots, so he was shunted down and got stuck working with Meng or tagging with Hogan/Savage. After the Crow gimmick started, all of his best matches were on Nitro.

HOLY CRAP!!!! Thanks stro! You're the man!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Best of Surfer Sting 5-DVD set, pictured above.

Today's minor update:

In Ring
Raw Replays
Money Changes Everything - 06/15/2014

RP912

Banned
Matches to watch:

Sting vs Vader GAB 1992

denzel_intro.jpg

bjork

OMMohsk.gif

They did all that in an hour instead of stroking it into three hours of yawns.

strobogo

Banned
LEGIT SHOOK

Presents

WWE Vengeance 2003

iXY9rJVog6JTE.gif

ilYzg7q6Uizow.gif

iKIiYQnl4M8ER.gif

i0puJyR9HfB6c.gif

Dope show. Smackdown was beating the dog shit out of Raw for the first 2 years of the brand split. This was the debut solo Smackdown PPV and they made it count. Eddie/Benoit and WGTT vs Kidman/Rey were excellent, Bork/Angle/Show was a super fun triple threat, Billy Gunn/Jamie Noble was surprisingly fun, Steph/Sable was better than it had any right to be, Vince/Gowen was ultimate evil Vince. Taker/Cena was the most boring match of the show. In ring wise, Cena DID NOT have it in 2003. People bitch about Roman Reigns now, but Cena was definitely less entertaining in the ring at the same point in their careers.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely going to be watching Vengeance. Knowing that's the first big show that Smackdown took personally to make as badass as possible makes me really want to sit down and enjoy it.

Here's today's updates:

Vault
Legends Of Wrestling
The Soul of Wrestling - 02/01/2009
In Ring
Wwe Superstars
CHANGED - Episode 275 - 07/16/2014

Dope show. Smackdown was beating the dog shit out of Raw for the first 2 years of the brand split. This was the debut solo Smackdown PPV and they made it count. Eddie/Benoit and WGTT vs Kidman/Rey were excellent, Bork/Angle/Show was a super fun triple threat, Billy Gunn/Jamie Noble was surprisingly fun, Steph/Sable was better than it had any right to be, Vince/Gowen was ultimate evil Vince. Taker/Cena was the most boring match of the show. In ring wise, Cena DID NOT have it in 2003. People bitch about Roman Reigns now, but Cena was definitely less entertaining in the ring at the same point in their careers.

I can't stop and notice how much bacne Eddie had on him. Sheesh.

strobogo

Banned
I can't stop and notice how much bacne Eddie had on him. Sheesh.

It was really, really bad. Some of the worst I've seen in the big leagues. Sid would often have it pretty bad, but he would be so tan that they were noticeable, but weren't so gross looking. Eddie was pale and that stuff was nasty. Jan the make up lady should have done some touch up before he went out there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Vault
Saturday Nights Main Event
Episode 14 - 01/02/1988
Episode 37 - 02/05/1988
Episode 15 - 03/12/1988
Episode 16 - 04/30/1988
Episode 17 - 10/29/1988
Episode 18 - 11/26/1988
Episode 19 - 01/07/1989
Episode 38 - 02/03/1989
Episode 20 - 03/11/1989
Episode 21 - 05/27/1989
Episode 22 - 07/29/1989
Episode 23 - 10/14/1989
Episode 24 - 11/25/1989
In Ring
Smackdown Replays
Cash Rules Everything Around Me - 06/20/2014

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WWE PPVs
Battleground
CHANGED - WWE Battleground 2014 Kickoff - 07/19/2014
In Ring
Wwe Main Event Replays
Episode 95 - 07/22/2014
Raw Replays
Episode 111 - 05/15/1995
Original
Wrestlemania Rewind
The Ultimate Underdog - 07/15/2014
Wwe Countdown
Riveting Rivalries - 07/15/2014
In Ring
Raw Replays
Episode 113 - 05/28/1995
Smackdown Replays
Episode 85 - 04/05/2001
WWE PPVs
Battleground
CHANGED - WWE Battleground 2014 - 07/19/2014

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Been a while since I've seen some Raw Replays, but glad to see we're deep into '95!

It's moving along pretty quick. We're gonna be up in the Attitude Era before you know it.

The following shows have been added to the WWE Network today:
Vault

Legends Of Wrestling
Southern Wrestling - 12/01/2009

In Ring

Raw Replays
Episode 115 - 06/12/1995
Episode 116 - 06/19/1995
Episode 117 - 06/26/1995
Episode 118 - 07/03/1995
Episode 461 - 03/25/2002

The March 25, 2002 Raw is the WWF Draft episode where Flair and McMahon draft 10 people each to Raw and Smackdown.

It was hilarious because Smackdown was totally loaded and Raw was shit.

Raw/Flair
1. The Undertaker
2. The nWo (yes, somehow the whole group counted as one pick)
3. Kane
4. Rob Van Dam
5. Booker T.
6. The Big Show
7. Bubba Ray Dudley
8. Brock Lesnar
9. William Regal
10. Lita (yes, Flair used one of his picks on a Diva)

Smackdown/McMahon
1. The Rock
2. Kurt Angle
3. Chris Benoit
4. Hulk Hogan
5. Billy & Chuck (again, somehow this counted as one pick, yet Flair couldn't pick the Dudleys together)
6. Edge
7. Rikishi
8. D-Von Dudley
9. Mark Henry
10. Maven (it must have been a battle of "how stupid can our 10th pick be")

Also, Triple H defends the WWF Title in a Triple Threat Match against Chris Jericho and Stephanie McMahon. Yep. Triple H and Jericho were not eligible to be drafted because of the title match. Triple H won, so he kept the ability to go on both shows while Jericho ended up on Smackdown. Stephanie ended up as the GM of Smackdown in July 2002 once McMahon got control of both shows.

FyreWulff

I seem to vaguely remember that Smackdown was doing so well at one point, that Raw almost got switched out for a relaunch of Nitro. Was there any truth to that?

strobogo

Banned
I seem to vaguely remember that Smackdown was doing so well at one point, that Raw almost got switched out for a relaunch of Nitro. Was there any truth to that?

No. There were plans to run WCW as its own brand, maybe taking over Raw or maybe getting a Saturday night show, until Buff and Booker killed all chances of that. Zero chance of that happening after the brand split. The brand split was done a year later because all plans for a WCW brand were scrapped after that one match. And then the Invasion happened. If WCW was going to take over Raw, it wasn't because Smackdown was doing so well, as the concept of which show was doing better wasn't even a thing at that point.

Smackdown ended up getting most of the best talent from WCW, the best mid card guys, the best of the OVW guys, plus Kurt/Brock/Taker. Beat the piss out of what Raw had and was doing.

The March 25, 2002 Raw is the WWF Draft episode where Flair and McMahon draft 10 people each to Raw and Smackdown.

It was hilarious because Smackdown was totally loaded and Raw was shit.

Raw/Flair
1. The Undertaker
2. The nWo (yes, somehow the whole group counted as one pick)
3. Kane
4. Rob Van Dam
5. Booker T.
6. The Big Show
7. Bubba Ray Dudley
8. Brock Lesnar
9. William Regal
10. Lita (yes, Flair used one of his picks on a Diva)

Smackdown/McMahon
1. The Rock
2. Kurt Angle
3. Chris Benoit
4. Hulk Hogan
5. Billy & Chuck (again, somehow this counted as one pick, yet Flair couldn't pick the Dudleys together)
6. Edge
7. Rikishi
8. D-Von Dudley
9. Mark Henry
10. Maven (it must have been a battle of "how stupid can our 10th pick be")

Also, Triple H defends the WWF Title in a Triple Threat Match against Chris Jericho and Stephanie McMahon. Yep. Triple H and Jericho were not eligible to be drafted because of the title match. Triple H won, so he kept the ability to go on both shows while Jericho ended up on Smackdown. Stephanie ended up as the GM of Smackdown in July 2002 once McMahon got control of both shows.

I may have to watch this episode.

I may have to watch this episode.

-- Mr. Perfect vs. Tazz
-- Booker T. & Christian vs. Edge & Diamond Dallas Page
-- Ivory vs. Trish Stratus
-- The nWo (Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, & X-Pac) vs. Hulk Hogan & The Rock in a Handicap Match
-- Billy Gunn vs. Jeff Hardy
-- Rikishi vs. William Regal (c) for the WWF European Title
-- Kurt Angle vs. Rob Van Dam (c) for the WWF Intercontinental Title
-- Chris Jericho vs. Stephanie McMahon vs. Triple H (c) in a Triple Threat Match for the WWF Title (if Stephanie doesn't win the WWF Title, she is banned from the company FOREVER! [until she gets named Smackdown GM less than four months later])

No. There were plans to run WCW as its own brand, maybe taking over Raw or maybe getting a Saturday night show, until Buff and Booker killed all chances of that. Zero chance of that happening after the brand split. The brand split was done a year later because all plans for a WCW brand were scrapped after that one match. And then the Invasion happened. If WCW was going to take over Raw, it wasn't because Smackdown was doing so well, as the concept of which show was doing better wasn't even a thing at that point.

Smackdown ended up getting most of the best talent from WCW, the best mid card guys, the best of the OVW guys, plus Kurt/Brock/Taker. Beat the piss out of what Raw had and was doing.

Supposedly, the angle where Linda busted Vince getting fresh with Torrie Wilson was supposed to lead to Linda giving Shane and WCW the Raw timeslot and letting it be Nitro for some undetermined amount of time. The original plan was for Raw to become Nitro and for Smackdown to become the main WWF show. Velocity would become the WCW b-show (possibly the new WCW Saturday Night) and Heat would become the WWF b-show. But yeah, the Buff/Booker trainwreck ended all that.

strobogo

Banned
Supposedly, the angle where Linda busted Vince getting fresh with Torrie Wilson was supposed to lead to Linda giving Shane and WCW the Raw timeslot and letting it be Nitro for some undetermined amount of time. The original plan was for Raw to become Nitro and for Smackdown to become the main WWF show. Velocity would become the WCW b-show (possibly the new WCW Saturday Night) and Heat would become the WWF b-show. But yeah, the Buff/Booker trainwreck ended all that.

Yeah. It was something like that, but had nothing to do with Smackdown doing so well at the time since the split hadn't happened yet.

Watching The very first WWE Draft from RAW in March 25, 2002. Man, it's great to get to watch this one again. Can't wait until we get to 1996/97 RAW episodes.

Top Bottom