• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

Is the free preview of the channel up for Canada?

ViTivPi.jpg

They wrestled with heart. They didn't do it for money, or a spot. They did it for the love of the sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imbS4v3pHD4#t=55

They cared.

I agree. NG era was fucking great. Been re watching it from the start of RAW and I am at 1994 right now. Everything is a good as I remember. I haven't hit 1995 yet and thats were it seems where most of the hate stems from. But from 92-94 all is good. 96 is kinda fresh in my mind and remember its awesomeness

DMczaf

I agree. NG era was fucking great. Been re watching it from the start of RAW and I am at 1994 right now. Everything is a good as I remember. I haven't hit 1995 yet and thats were it seems where most of the hate stems from. But from 92-94 all is good. 96 is kinda fresh in my mind and remember its awesomeness

*handshake*

Don't let these people soil the good name of New Generation.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
New Generation Had:

Backlund
1-2-3 Kid
Razor Ramon
Owen Hart, the Sole Survivor, the King of Harts.
Heel Doink
King making fun of Helen and Stu
Hakushi
BULL NAKANO
Double J and his song.

I mean, it had an much longer list of things that made it shitty, but that's a lot of good up there.

so my six months ran out and it didn't auto renew. I'm trying to resubscribe but it just keeps taking me back to the same how to watch page about ordering Summerslam. I feel like an idiot as I have ordered this before but now I have no idea how to do it!

New Generation also had Bret and HBK as top stars. These days that would NEVER happen. I can understand if you prefer 80's, Attitude and even Ruthless Aggression era, but New Generation era is much better than the god awful Universe era. Its been nothing but Cena, Orton and Batista with a drop of Punk. I'd take 10 years with Bret Hart at the top than to see John Cena and Randy Orton's mug 3X a week + 1 PPV a month. Awful.

Entropia

No One Remembers
New Generation Had:

Backlund
1-2-3 Kid
Razor Ramon
Owen Hart, the Sole Survivor, the King of Harts.
Heel Doink
King making fun of Helen and Stu
Hakushi
BULL NAKANO
Double J and his song.

I mean, it had an much longer list of things that made it shitty, but that's a lot of good up there.

Bob "Sparkplugg" Holly!!!!!!!!

strobogo

Banned
New Generation also had Bret and HBK as top stars. These days that would NEVER happen. I can understand if you prefer 80's, Attitude and even Ruthless Aggression era, but New Generation era is much better than the god awful Universe era. Its been nothing but Cena, Orton and Batista with a drop of Punk. I'd take 10 years with Bret Hart at the top than to see John Cena and Randy Orton's mug 3X a week + 1 PPV a month. Awful.

Bret was really only the truly top guy for about a year during the whole 90s. You remember him as being THE guy, but when you watch the shows, he was second fiddle to Lex and Yoko all year after WM (being stuck in the never ending feud with Lawler, KOTR as a consolation prize for Hogan being a dick), then Taker filling in Lex's spot while the Bret/Owen thing was being set up. Then he co-wins the Rumble with Lex, wins at WM, and by Summerslam, Taker vs Taker is the main program and Owen/Bret doesn't even main event Summerslam. Loses the title at SS, which is directly in the middle of the show, with Yoko/Taker being the real headliner both in promotional material and the show itself.

Has the great match with Diesel at Rumble 1995, then goes on to another middle of the card match at WM and continuing the shitty King feud, this time with an evil dentist, magical pirate, and evil Japanese dude fighting as surrogates for King until the end of the year, when he regains the title, has a solid 4 month reign before losing to HBK and taking months off. Then he does the Real Ass Stone Cold feud, which was awesome but also not the main focus of shows. By the time of the Hart Foundation run, there was no one top guy, as the shows were a joint focus on Harts/Austin/DX/Taker/Mankind. And he was injured for much of it.

What I'm trying to say is that his run as the true top guy was actually very short and most of the time he was being stuck in stupid mid card feuds for reasons I can't figure out. Even when he was champion, he rarely main events PPVs. I think he main evented more PPVs challenging for or winning the title than actually defending it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People keep mentioning a "magical pirate" and I have no idea who you're talking about.

strobogo

Banned
People keep mentioning a "magical pirate" and I have no idea who you're talking about.

image002.jpg

Jean Pierre Lafeitte. His grandfather was apparently Jean Lafitte and he is in possession of some gold coins that are imbued with the magical spirit and power of his grandfather. He stole Bret's leather jacket and they feuded over that for a few months.

Bret was really only the truly top guy for about a year during the whole 90s. You remember him as being THE guy, but when you watch the shows, he was second fiddle to Lex and Yoko all year after WM (being stuck in the never ending feud with Lawler, KOTR as a consolation prize for Hogan being a dick), then Taker filling in Lex's spot while the Bret/Owen thing was being set up. Then he co-wins the Rumble with Lex, wins at WM, and by Summerslam, Taker vs Taker is the main program and Owen/Bret doesn't even main event Summerslam. Loses the title at SS, which is directly in the middle of the show, with Yoko/Taker being the real headliner both in promotional material and the show itself.

Has the great match with Diesel at Rumble 1995, then goes on to another middle of the card match at WM and continuing the shitty King feud, this time with an evil dentist, magical pirate, and evil Japanese dude fighting as surrogates for King until the end of the year, when he regains the title, has a solid 4 month reign before losing to HBK and taking months off. Then he does the Real Ass Stone Cold feud, which was awesome but also not the main focus of shows. By the time of the Hart Foundation run, there was no one top guy, as the shows were a joint focus on Harts/Austin/DX/Taker/Mankind. And he was injured for much of it.

What I'm trying to say is that his run as the true top guy was actually very short and most of the time he was being stuck in stupid mid card feuds for reasons I can't figure out. Even when he was champion, he rarely main events PPVs. I think he main evented more PPVs challenging for or winning the title than actually defending it.

Lots of truth here, but I have always felt that Bret was still the most over face at the time. More over than Lugar, Taker and Razor. WWF was no doubt trying to make Lex the next Hogan from Summerslam till the Rumble, but to me Bret was really the top face till about 95 when Diesel won the title and HBK turned face.

The NG era was a very strange era in some regards as they were obviously experimenting a lot back then to see what clicks. It was most strange in 96 when there was no clear top face and we were on the dawn of the Attitude era.

Short runs were pretty common
-Diesel 1995
-HBK 1996-1998
-SCSA 1998-1999
Rock 1999-2001

strobogo

Banned
Lots of truth here, but I have always felt that Bret was still the most over face at the time. More over than Lugar, Taker and Razor. WWF was no doubt trying to make Lex the next Hogan from Summerslam till the Rumble, but to me Bret was really the top face till about 95 when Diesel won the title and HBK turned face.

The NG era was a very strange era in some regards as they were obviously experimenting a lot back then to see what clicks. It was most strange in 96 when there was no clear top face and we were on the dawn of the Attitude era.

Short runs were pretty common
-Diesel 1995
-HBK 1996-1998
-SCSA 1998-1999
Rock 1999-2001

Oh Bret was no doubt the most popular guy, and I think he was kind of portrayed as above the title for most of that period, but people who grew up during that era remember him as the top top guy, when he really wasn't. But facts are facts and Bret was stuck as a top guy doing shitty midcard spots for most of that run. You say Diesel's run was short, but he got way more of a full court push than Bret did. For that year, he was THE guy. In all the ads, doing all the press, actually main eventing PPVs in his title defenses. He was the guy in the same way Hogan was the guy. Bret never really got that treatment. Neither did HBK really. A little more than Bret maybe, since Bret was always portrayed as being the best wrestler in the company even when not champion, but HBK beat him and he didn't come back until Survivor Series, where Shawn lost the title.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In Ring
Smackdown Replays
Episode 6 - 09/30/1999

Oh Bret was no doubt the most popular guy, and I think he was kind of portrayed as above the title for most of that period, but people who grew up during that era remember him as the top top guy, when he really wasn't. But facts are facts and Bret was stuck as a top guy doing shitty midcard spots for most of that run. You say Diesel's run was short, but he got way more of a full court push than Bret did. For that year, he was THE guy. In all the ads, doing all the press, actually main eventing PPVs in his title defenses. He was the guy in the same way Hogan was the guy. Bret never really got that treatment. Neither did HBK really. A little more than Bret maybe, since Bret was always portrayed as being the best wrestler in the company even when not champion, but HBK beat him and he didn't come back until Survivor Series, where Shawn lost the title.

Bret was also pushed after he lost the title. He did win the KotR so he wasn't exactly mid card.
He was so popular that the year he lost the title and was in the high mid card while Lugar was in spotlight for the title, he still won superstar of the year. Back than WWF worked very differently. I remember title matches would be on the mid card at times. Even Ultimate Warrior vs Sgt Slaughter and Ultimate Warrior vs Randy Savage got mid card slots for their respective title fights. The only time I felt that Bret got REAL mid card treatment was during the Diesel era. Speaking of which I don't recall anything from him still he won the title back at Survivor Series.

I also wonder Vince's long term plan was for when he brought Hogan back at the start of the New Generation at WM9. Was Higan suppose to stick around after KotR if the steroid scandel didn't happen?

RBH

The WWE Network has launched in Canada, but the stripped down bare bones version has many loyal fans crying foul.

Available at launch are a handful of SummerSlam pay-per-views, the Great American Bash from 1989, three WCW Bash at the Beach shows, two ECW Heatwave pay-per-views and the One Night Stand show from 2005.

The content is not labeled by name, just meaningless numbers, titles and there are missing logos and images.

All told, the content on the Canadian version of the WWE Network amounts to approximately 39 hours of content
, a drop in the bucket compared to the enormous library available on the online version which has each and every WCW, ECW and WWE pay-per-view available, most episodes of WCW’s Clash of Champions, Saturday Night’s Main Event, ECW Hardcore TV, the original Legends’ House and Total Divas reality shows, an archive of old school WWE house show cards and a multitude of specials, past DVD releases which have been transferred to digital media and much more.

Many Canadian fans are expressing their disappointment online.

“This sucks, it sucks so bad. How could you defend this,” posted user “teambates” on Wreddit.

“Well, it looks like the first day of the WWE Network in Canada went over like a lead balloon. Good work, guys,” wrote user Al Creed on Twitter.

Canadian wrestling superstar Lance Storm took to Twitter to voice his dismay.

“Did some research just less that 20% of Canada uses Rogers, so 80+% still can't get @wwenetwork It's also a partial version for $11.99 :-(,” he wrote.

“Also, it seems the only archive we'll get is Max Moon and Bastion Booger matches,” joked Marc Poitras in reply.

One popular Internet unblocking service took advantage of the discontent to entice Canadians by stating, ”Watch SummerSlam on WWE Network no matter where in the world you are (even Canada).”
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2014/08/13/21871016.html

This is all the Canadian version is getting at the moment:

-SummerSlam 1992
-SummerSlam 1998
-SummerSlam 2000
-SummerSlam 2002
-SummerSlam 2005
-Great American Bash 1989
-Bash at the Beach 1994
-Bash at the Beach 1996
-Bash at the Beach 1998
-ECW Heatwave 1998
-ECW Heatwave 1999
-ECW One Night Stand 2005

Kaladin

Vince has always treated Canadians like the red headed step child of the WWE Universe, how should the Network roll out be any different?

What they did this time lol?

Booed all the babyfaces and cheered all the heels. They did the wave during Undertaker's title match with JBL. They booed the shit out of Edge, who was the big babyface coming home to Toronto. Pretty much took over the entire show. Vince had Lawler talk shit about them the whole broadcast, calling it Bizarro Land. Vince has never treated Canada the same since that show.

RP912

Banned
Booed all the babyfaces and cheered all the heels. They did the wave during Undertaker's title match with JBL. They booed the shit out of Edge, who was the big babyface coming home to Toronto. Pretty much took over the entire show. Vince had Lawler talk shit about them the whole broadcast, calling it Bizarro Land. Vince has never treated Canada the same since that show.

You screw bret...we screw your shows for life...

Aiii

So not worth it
So the SummerSlam panels aren't airing on the Network? I was hoping they'd record and air them live, don't want to watch shitty phone recordings on YT :(

If this had happened in New York, Vince wouldn't have given a shit.

strobogo

Banned
If this had happened in New York, Vince wouldn't have given a shit.

It has happened in New York. And Philly. I'm sure MSG would still be a regularly run building if they didn't charge so much. NY and Philly crowds have been shitting on faces and cheering heels since the mid 80s at the latest.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It has happened in New York. And Philly. I'm sure MSG would still be a regularly run building if they didn't charge so much. NY and Philly crowds have been shitting on faces and cheering heels since the mid 80s at the latest.

KING OF THE RING 1995

I remember Rey getting booed out of the building at the 2008 Royal Rumble in New York. That might have been the first time I've seen Rey get booed like that.

strobogo

Banned
I remember Rey getting booed out of the building at the 2008 Royal Rumble in New York. That might have been the first time I've seen Rey get booed like that.

Philly turned on Bob Backlund right away. And ALWAYS cheered the Horsemen no matter who they were up against. They cheered Jake over Sting in 1992. Cheered Vader over everyone. And so on. Philly has always been a heel territory. NY has been once Bruno passed the torch. Heel and smarky. But at the same time, they booed the shit out of HBK over Sid at SS 1996, and the smarks are supposed to think Sid is the worst wrestler ever. But because he was a heel, they cheered him over HBK.

KING OF THE RING 1995

WCW Halloween Havoc 1992 in Philadelphia. The opening match. They booed the FUCK out of the babyface team (Z-Man, Johnny Gunn, and Shane Douglas) and the heel team (Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton, and Michael Hayes) got a huge positive reaction. Even Jesse Ventura on commentary was talking about it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WCW Halloween Havoc 1992 in Philadelphia. The opening match. They booed the FUCK out of the babyface team (Z-Man, Johnny Gunn, and Shane Douglas) and the heel team (Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton, and Michael Hayes) got a huge positive reaction. Even Jesse Ventura on commentary was talking about it.

To be fair, the face team was...Z-Man, Johnny Gunn, and The Franchise. That just shows taste.

The heel team meanwhile is three really well known heels.

FDC1

Question abour PS3 & PS4 owners: is there any significant difference between the 2 versions of the app. I'm using PS3 version and it works perfectly fine so I would like if it's worth "the effort" to connect on my PS4 with my US PSN account (I'm French) to download the PS4 app.

RP912

Banned
To be fair, the face team was...Z-Man, Johnny Gunn, and The Franchise. That just shows taste.

The heel team meanwhile is three really well known heels.

Z-man will never get his due. I binged through the early 90s wcw and realize he needs to be in the hall of fame. He pretty much paved the way for legit mid card jobbers like Ryder.

Kornflayx

Philly turned on Bob Backlund right away. And ALWAYS cheered the Horsemen no matter who they were up against. They cheered Jake over Sting in 1992. Cheered Vader over everyone. And so on. Philly has always been a heel territory. NY has been once Bruno passed the torch. Heel and smarky. But at the same time, they booed the shit out of HBK over Sid at SS 1996, and the smarks are supposed to think Sid is the worst wrestler ever. But because he was a heel, they cheered him over HBK.

Those Sid fistbumps are enough to make anyone fall in love with him.

iDSVvt3cT3kKV.gif

Bandini

Yo what the fuck is up with the network on Firefox, I can play the default channel fine but any on-demand stuff just sits there and loads, never playing. Having the same problem on 2 devices. Been like this for at least a week... so dumb

And I just realized it works in IE. Get your shit together, WWE.

Top Bottom