• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

strobogo

Banned
what is it about sid that makes him the worst?

I mean, he's not good at all, but there have been plenty of big dudes that were worse getting big pushes. He had charisma and a physical presence that was hard to deny. Always felt like he was 100% into his character at all times on screen.

DMczaf

Those Sid fistbumps are enough to make anyone fall in love with him.

iDSVvt3cT3kKV.gif

Probably Sid's best night in wrestling.

strobogo

Banned
I figured I just remember him always denying it. Kinda hard to deny it when you look like that. Anyways what are some good PPV's for WCW to watch?

None in 2000 are worth watching. 1999 had Spring Stampede, which is a top five all time WCW show. It also had Halloween Havoc, which was Russo's first show and is bananas.

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. WCW 1999 is fascinating. Watch a Nitro in January 1999, June 1999, and December 1999. Three totally different promotions.

Philly turned on Bob Backlund right away. And ALWAYS cheered the Horsemen no matter who they were up against. They cheered Jake over Sting in 1992. Cheered Vader over everyone. And so on. Philly has always been a heel territory. NY has been once Bruno passed the torch. Heel and smarky. But at the same time, they booed the shit out of HBK over Sid at SS 1996, and the smarks are supposed to think Sid is the worst wrestler ever. But because he was a heel, they cheered him over HBK.

I was there for that match also. I must have been like 11 or 12 at the time and I was cheering Sid hardcore. There was something about HBK in 96 that I hated....maybe it was because he beat Diesel and Bret. Funny how now HBK is my top 3.

Speaking of SS 96, SCSA was very over in MSG from what I remember.

I was watching Summerslam at a friends house yesterday and his girlfriend was cyberbullying us by hogging all the bandwidth on their shitty internet connection causing a couple of freezes in the livestream. WWE should fix this problem.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Vault
Video Vault
The Best vs The Beast Re-Visited - 08/14/2013
Original
Wwe Beyond The Ring
The Roddy Piper Story - 07/27/2006
In Ring
Smackdown Replays
Dean. Kane. - 07/18/2014

TheBear

I signed up for Summerslam and I'm kinda confused by the content. I search for WCW PPV's and all could find were post-2000 garbage, except for stuff like Starrcade I think and fucking Hog Wild. I can't find any Nitros either, nor does there seem to be much ECW.

Also the Summerslam replay stream was dog shit. What am I missing here?

strobogo

Banned
I signed up for Summerslam and I'm kinda confused by the content. I search for WCW PPV's and all could find were post-2000 garbage, except for stuff like Starrcade I think and fucking Hog Wild. I can't find any Nitros either, nor does there seem to be much ECW.

Also the Summerslam replay stream was dog shit. What am I missing here?

Don't ever use the search for anything. If you want WCW PPVs, click shows. It's automatically on PPVs. Click WCW. All the PPVs are available by name. If you want to go for all shows by specfic years, scroll down a little and select the year you want. Like so:

iboc4GwOQw8DkU.gif

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I got the WWE network....

I don't have the best internet but this looks better than I expected. Gonna get my Booker T on.

Seen some footage of Kurt in 2001, some serious backnee.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Today's update:

Vault
Video Vault
Cena vs Punk at Raw 1031 - 02/25/2013
WWE PPVs
Summerslam
SummerSlam Backstage Pass - 08/18/2014

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You may be able to access it on consoles by looking at Friday's schedule and telling it to play.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In Ring
Raw Replays
Ill See You at SummerSlam! - 07/21/2014
Original
Total Divas
SummerSlam - 11/10/2013

Anyone watch the Shield doc ?

I just remembered something so random today. WWF actually tried to push Barry Horowitz as a "Superstar". What was the reason for his little push out of jobber territory? just seems completely random and out of the blue.

strobogo

Banned
I just remembered something so random today. WWF actually tried to push Barry Horowitz as a "Superstar". What was the reason for his little push out of jobber territory? just seems completely random and out of the blue.

I think it was to reward him for his years of service.

Shield doc was rad. Hope to see more of those. The Warrior and Bryan ones were also great.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In Ring
Wwe Nxt
CHANGED - Episode 236 - 08/21/2014
Wwe Superstars
CHANGED - Episode 280 - 08/21/2014

strobogo

Banned
6 months in and here is what the Network still doesn't have:

Any of the secondary/syndicated shows from WWF or WCW
Complete lack of any territories besides World Class, which hasn't been updated in months
Nitro
A ratings system, be it stars like Netflix, or votes/thumbs up
History of shows you've watched
Playlists
The ability to set update reminders for shows you want (IE, send a notification when a new Raw from 1997 is uploaded)
Group viewing with chat (Would be pretty fun, but not essential)
Videos playing back from where you left off
EVERY video having time stamps
Auto chronological play, be it to set to play all Raws/Smackdowns/PPVs from a period in order, or just in each category. Imagine if were watching a show on Netflix and had to back, find the right season, and then find the next episode instead of just auto playing the next one.
A player that doesn't die if you try to jump 10 seconds back while paused
Ability to change the size of the player or have a pop out version
A page that details ALL new uploads. There isn't even a *New* anywhere when things get updated.

As great of a value as the Network is, god damn are they really half assing on a lot of features that are standard for just about every video streaming service in the world. Especially egregious is that they use "Like Netflix, but better" as a slogan when they don't offer features they've had for years.

Complete lack of any territories besides World Class, which hasn't been updated in months
Nitro
Playlists
The ability to set update reminders for shows you want (IE, send a notification when a new Raw from 1997 is uploaded)
Auto chronological play, be it to set to play all Raws/Smackdowns/PPVs from a period in order, or just in each category. Imagine if were watching a show on Netflix and had to back, find the right season, and then find the next episode instead of just auto playing the next one.
A page that details ALL new uploads. There isn't even a *New* anywhere when things get updated.

As great of a value as the Network is, god damn are they really half assing on a lot of features that are standard for just about every video streaming service in the world. Especially egregious is that they use "Like Netflix, but better" as a slogan when they don't offer features they've had for years.

This would be amazing. I just want to sit back and watch all the RAWs without any interuption

Nitro
Playlists

They haven't released a single new feature since launch that I'm aware of. This is the most half-assed service I've ever used.

YouTube is still better for wrestling despite the usually shit quality because you can actually search for individual moments or just have a playlist of something auto-play.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Huh?

After the first PS3 update it has always remembered where I left off. Every single time.

It actually becomes annoying if I fall asleep during a PPV because it puts the mark during the shitty WCW PPV credits and I have to rewind.

dubq

One thing I'm actually surprised they haven't added (or have heard if they have plans to add) are their WWE Studios movies. I mean it's not a selling point by any stretch of the means, but I figure it would be something they'd want to have up there at some point..

RBH

So I'm watching an episode of Clash of the Champions right now on the Network, and the first thing I noticed is that they kept in Michael Buffer doing the introductions.

I remembered in the past that they took out Buffer's ring introductions on numerous WCW shows due to licensing issues. Did they recently resolve those licensing issues?

strobogo

Banned
So I'm watching an episode of Clash of the Champions right now on the Network, and the first thing I noticed is that they kept in Michael Buffer doing the introductions.

I remembered in the past that they took out Buffer's ring introductions on numerous WCW shows due to licensing issues. Did they recently resolve those licensing issues?

I don't think there are any licensing issues besides ECW stuff. For a while, some WCW entrance themes were edited, but those seem to have been resolved. WWE has all the licensed themes and PPV songs, plus old ads and logos. ECW is really dicked since they used real music ALL THE GOD DAMN TIME and didn't have the rights to use them even at the time, so now all the music is dubbed on those shows. For the most part, the new ECW themes aren't even sound alikes. Promos get cut off a lot. Like stuff where Joey is at ringside. Any promos that start while the music was still playing are mute until the music stops.

I can't get over how the first ep of MNW really tried to portray the Lex Express as this big thing that was really popular after 20 years of full on burying it any chance they got. All to make it seem like Lex jumping for the first episode of Nitro was a huge loss to WWE, when in fact Lex hadn't been a major player for over a year and had no solo PPV matches after Summerslam 1994.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I mean, he's not good at all, but there have been plenty of big dudes that were worse getting big pushes. He had charisma and a physical presence that was hard to deny. Always felt like he was 100% into his character at all times on screen.

Sid was also more of a bully heel than a monster heel, meaning he had no problem putting smaller guys over like Sting, Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels. In fact all his interesting feuds were with smaller guys. Larger dudes? Vader was alright, but anything with Kevin Nash was just plain awful.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Lex jumping was certainly big for WCW. Gave them the wow factor. Kinda like when they got Steamboat and Dusty back. WWF wasn't doing a ton with them but when WCW got them back the product got better.

strobogo

Banned
Sid was also more of a bully heel than a monster heel, meaning he had no problem putting smaller guys over like Sting, Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels. In fact all his interesting feuds were with smaller guys. Larger dudes? Vader was alright, but anything with Kevin Nash was just plain awful.

Well yeah. I don't think there is any big man wrestler who had his best work with another big man wrestler. Because that defeats the purpose of being a big man. Sid and Nash working together was a terrible idea in WWF and WCW because they were pretty much the same wrestler and had all of the same moves. Giant Guy vs Giant Guy is a match you run once as a big PPV match. Not carry it on for 3 months.

Lex jumping was certainly big for WCW. Gave them the wow factor. Kinda like when they got Steamboat and Dusty back. WWF wasn't doing a ton with them but when WCW got them back the product got better.

I mean it was big, but they portrayed it as if Lex was jumping in the middle of his run as Hogan's replacement. That wasn't the case at all. He hadn't been near anything main event in over a year and by the time he jumped, he was in a tag team with Bulldog that only won against jobbers. The closest thing in modern WWE would be if Ryback jumped to TNA.

I can't get over how the first ep of MNW really tried to portray the Lex Express as this big thing that was really popular after 20 years of full on burying it any chance they got. All to make it seem like Lex jumping for the first episode of Nitro was a huge loss to WWE, when in fact Lex hadn't been a major player for over a year and had no solo PPV matches after Summerslam 1994.
Regardless of how the WWF used him toward the end, Lex appearing on Nitro was still a huge deal. Furthermore, the promise of Luger vs. Hogan for the following week showed that Nitro was for real. It was was still a dream match in anyone's eyes back then, and it took place before giving away PPV main events on free TV was commonplace. That match made people tune in again for the second episode. Would Lex win the title? Was he a face or heel? Find out next week! It was brilliant.

I mean it was big, but they portrayed it as if Lex was jumping in the middle of his run as Hogan's replacement. That wasn't the case at all. He hadn't been near anything main event in over a year and by the time he jumped, he was in a tag team with Bulldog that only won against jobbers. The closest thing in modern WWE would be if Ryback jumped to TNA.
You're joking, right? The Ryback comparison makes zero sense, because regardless of how Lex was used in the WWF, he was still a former WCW main eventer and a huge deal to that audience. Not to mention, he was pushed as a big star for most of his WWF run anyway (Lex Express, etc.). I don't know where you got Ryback from, as the two aren't even comparable. Ryback was never a top star anywhere else. Luger was. Hell, Ryback has never been World Champion. Luger had (in WCW). The industry was a lot different twenty years ago. Luger had a main event push for most of his career. Six months with Bulldog did not destroy that perception among fans.

strobogo

Banned
Seems like a pretty accurate comparison to me. Lex was pushed as the next big star, repeatedly couldn't win the big one, and then was bussed down to the mid card, before forming a tag team that didn't go anywhere while being mostly a JTTS. Lex being a former WCW Champion didn't matter a whole lot, as many people tuning into WCW when Hogan showed up had never heard of WCW and wasn't aware of Lex's history in the company.

I was just pointing out how hilarious it was that WWE went full on revisionist history on Lex's WWF run because that makes it sound like more of a blow to them after burying Lex and that whole run for the past 20 years.

"They stole away Hogan and our Hogan replacement" sounds a lot better than "They stole a guy who was a main eventer a year and a half ago that we don't really use for anything more than to make other guys look good now".

Top Bottom