• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just so you know, the next Countdown is viewable right now along with some other shows like Wrestlemania Rewind.

Same with if you go a couple days ahead, the Steve Austin "Beyond the Mat" episode which is 2.5 hours long and fucking fantastic so far. Go go go!

blurrygil

(Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard I Quit match at Starcade 85 in a cage shames alot of the modern "grudge" type matches.
No need for chairs or sledge hammers.)
Edit..ok there was a chair kind of...

Kind of...?! They damn near had to set up a crime scene, son!!

images

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Starrcade 92 Battlebowl: Lethal Lottery was such an awesome gimmick for a pay per view. Random tag teams, winners get to be in BATTLEBOWL at the end for a special ring.

Plus BIG VAN VADER best of all Vaders.

Jamie OD

Starrcade 92 Battlebowl: Lethal Lottery was such an awesome gimmick for a pay per view. Random tag teams, winners get to be in BATTLEBOWL at the end for a special ring.

And they were legit random tag teams too. One of the reasons why the gimmick didn't work to be honest. Some of the pairings were so odd they couldn't get many good matches out of them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And they were legit random tag teams too. One of the reasons why the gimmick didn't work to be honest. Some of the pairings were so odd they couldn't get many good matches out of them.

Kind of like how Brawl For All was an AWESOME idea but it wasn't that wonderful. I tend to really enjoy concepts that let me see new and strange things and prefer that to a well worked match, but everything has its place.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Still can't log in with the 360 app, but finally got some streaming working well in the PS3. Seeing John Kronus do a 450° splash never gets old...

Penguin

It sucks, but I understand, that the WWE is so averse to randomness on their cards

I thought was one of the reasons cited for dismissing the King of the Ring PPV concept is they didn't have a full card to advertise.

Though would be awesome if tried it for like Survivor Series

pa22word

Got curious and tried the ps4 version because why not, and man it is awful. Constant buffering for 30 seconds of match followed by another 15-30 second buffer. Hope they iron it out for the ps4 guy's sakes....

Those pairs were too perfect to be legit random. Almost everyone was forced to pair with a rival.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Got curious and tried the ps4 version because why not, and man it is awful. Constant buffering for 30 seconds of match followed by another 15-30 second buffer. Hope they iron it out for the ps4 guy's sakes....

Yeah, it seems to be improving everywhere else but the PS4 app is still clown shoes.

Hex

Banned
Yeah, it seems to be improving everywhere else but the PS4 app is still clown shoes.

PS4 is fantastic on live, but On Demand is a crap shoot, but it is like that on everything unfortunately right now and it is a bit irritating.
It is better today than it was yesterday but their facebook page is still blown up.

Hasney

Definitely jynxing myself, but it's working wonders for me on PS4 also! Wouldn't play anything yesterday.

Yeah same. The VOD was barely working on anything for me last night.

I bet it's a case of the PS4 app wanting more bandwidth than what it actually needs. On a 120mbit connection wired here and we all know how shocking the wifi is on PS4.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
apple tv was largely fixed last night (though stuttered for a bit on VOD within the first 15 minutes)

omfg... Legends of Wrestling is one of the greatest things I've ever watched. Is every episode as awesome as the Renegades one?

Holy shit. I've been watching Halloween Havoc 1991 on VOD with no problem on PS3!!

lol @ Kevin Nash coming out at Oz with a rip-off of "Another One Bites The Dust" playing. WTF. Oh no. A green Nash vs. Bill Kazmaier? This definitely wasn't on the home video release.

Yeah OnDemand is real fickle. I can watch Summerslam 2002 with no issues but can't for the life of me watch the first match of Survivor Series 2013 with The Shield/Real Americans vs The Rhodes/The Usos. Each show has their own server?

Ryck

Seems to be running better today. Watching Wrestlemania III and on today. ( Wm3 was the first one I saw as a kid). Having it on in my office so that my clients can enjoy it as well haha. I had forgotten how the presentation used to make it seem like an actual competitive sport, so classy.

Also Rick Martel was pretty good.

Double also: Gorilla and Jessie add so damn much to these matches...

strobogo

Banned
Holy shit. I've been watching Halloween Havoc 1991 on VOD with no problem on PS3!!

lol @ Kevin Nash coming out at Oz with a rip-off of "Another One Bites The Dust" playing. WTF. Oh no. A green Nash vs. Bill Kazmaier? This definitely wasn't on the home video release.

Almost all the early 90s WCW PPVs had matches removed from the home video release to fit everything on a 2 hour tape. So the majority of those will have matches that a lot of people have never seen. Or wanted to see, in most cases, but one show cut like a 15 minute Eaton vs Pillman match.

PPVs are working a lot better for me today. Only a few buffers and they actually continue playing where they left off, which is a great improvement. Edit: I mean after the buffer, not them adding a resume feature.

Hasney

Shanes fingers are blurred too in Survivor Series 98. I wouldn't care, but they made such a song and dance about it all being uncensored.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
apple tv was largely fixed last night (though stuttered for a bit on VOD within the first 15 minutes)

omfg... Legends of Wrestling is one of the greatest things I've ever watched. Is every episode as awesome as the Renegades one?

Yes. There's like 7 or 8 of them, all wonderful with great guests. Hit up youtube instead of waiting, because they are fantastic.

strobogo

Banned
The SuperBrawl IX tag sure sounds TNAariffic...

He who has the belt...HAS THE POWER!!!

Nothing sounds more TNA/Russoriffic than the Tower of Doom at GAB 88. 3 tiered cage. 2 wrestlers start in the top cage. Every 2 or 5 minutes (it changed each time or wasn't explained properly), all the doors unlock (by ropes controlled by refs) and a wrestler from each team enters. The doors would stay open for a certain amount of time that also seemed to change each time. The first team to have all members exit the bottom cage would be the winner.

So it's like a reverse battle royal mixed with War Games with 2 extra cages and trap doors.

Nothing sounds more TNA/Russoriffic than the Tower of Doom at GAB 88. 3 tiered cage. 2 wrestlers start in the top cage. Every 2 or 5 minutes (it changed each time or wasn't explained properly), all the doors unlock (by ropes controlled by refs) and a wrestler from each team enters. The doors would stay open for a certain amount of time that also seemed to change each time. The first team to have all members exit the bottom cage would be the winner.

So it's like a reverse battle royal mixed with War Games with 2 extra cages and trap doors.

If a cheat sheet is required for a fan to understand a match's rules, you done fucked up somewhere.

strobogo

Banned
If a cheat sheet is required for a fan to understand a match's rules, you done fucked up somewhere.

I think a cheat sheet was needed for the refs and time keepers involved because the rules that were announced were not the rules actually used in the match. The rules made it sound like every 5 minutes the doors would open and new wrestlers would come in. Then the door would stay open for 5 minutes. But it was more like the guys came in every 2 or 3 minutes and the doors stayed open until someone got through them, or randomly closed.

Recall

Have myself an account and fully enjoying myself some WCW PPVs. Totally worth the price with all the PPV content alone.

They did that match again at Uncensored '96, with Hogan & Savage vs Flair, Arn Anderson, Meng, The Barbarian, Luger, The Taskmaster, Zeus & The Ultimate Solution, with Hogan winning, so I'd say that's more TNAriffic.

Rapstah

Kind of annoying how most of the In Your House PPVs are only called In Your House and a number and not the name of the show. To find Badd Blood 1997 I have to search for In Your House 18. At first I thought they were pretending the name of the thing was "Bad Blood" like when they edited Mick Foley's book to change that.

Top Bottom