• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

I wish I had a father to watch that with.

image.php

what would you consider 5-star right now?
Without thinking too hard about it, the ones that come to mind as being great are Bryan vs Wyatt at RR 2014, Wyatts vs Shield at EC 2014, Lesnar vs Punk at SS 2013, and Cena vs Punk on Raw early 2013.

Back around Rumble 2003 when that Angle/Benoit match happened, wrestling was just starting to get into breaking out of finishers/submissions a lot and doing chain reversals, and I think those are pretty common now with even lower card guys.

ok what the fuck, the player is straight up skipping the finishes and shit. Like I have to rewind it a minute before to see them. And these only happen to the finishes. I'm watching Vengeance 2003 and this happened to both the Sable vs Stephanie match and the Mysterio/Kidman vs World's Greatest Tag Team.

Is this happening to anyone else?

EDIT: Now it's skipping a lot now.

Balls.

Without thinking too hard about it, the ones that come to mind as being great are Bryan vs Wyatt at RR 2014, Wyatts vs Shield at EC 2014, Lesnar vs Punk at SS 2013, and Cena vs Punk on Raw early 2013.

Back around Rumble 2003 when that Angle/Benoit match happened, wrestling was just starting to get into breaking out of finishers/submissions a lot and doing chain reversals, and I think those are pretty common now with even lower card guys.

He was a time and place guy. He was outstanding for then, and a guy to root for when everyone else was doing the same shit, but just look at a Punk or Bryan match now and it's already better than anything Benoit (Balls) did minus the emotional burden of him being a murderer. The match would be more notable for being an Angle match than it would be notable as a Benoit (Balls) match even if he was still alive just because Angle is an actual GOAT.

I wonder what the delay will be for Main Event replays on the Network? They had last weeks episode up on Monday morning, so it can't be more than a few days.

Benoit was several levels above Punk and Bryan wrestlingwise.
I just don't think it matters if his story and entertainment value weren't there with that, which Punk and Bryan excel at even if they are sloppier and kind of weird in the ring sometimes. The only notable Benoit stories I can remember are his title win and his big tag match against Austin/HHH.

Raw64life

They could still put markers for Benoit matches without listing him. Just put "Kurt Angle defends the WWE Championship" and "Kurt Angle secures the win with the ankle lock" for RR '03 for example.

remnant

Banned

Hmm yeah i would agree. It just interesting to see how wrestling has changed from even 10 years ago

strobogo

Banned
Hmm yeah i would agree. It just interesting to see how wrestling has changed from even 10 years ago

Benoit/Angle was great at the time, but ended up being the birth of the Angle Formula, which was not a great thing at all. Angle went on to have that same match with everyone from Randy Orton to Matt Morgan to Jay Lethal to Abyss.

I'm finally able to watch an On Demand library program after absolutely nothing working for me on either my Mac or PS4. I started off with the first episode of Smackdown. I've been an off and on fan throughout the years but the main thing I remember about the WWE is sneaking and staying up late to watch some of the late night RAW action when I was in grade school during the Attitude era. The ability to watch this stuff (and get acquainted with some of the stuff I have never seen) is what has kind of brought me back to the product (that and the Royal Rumble being in my area).

One thing I'm remembering now that I'm watching again is all the fireworks at the beginning of each show. I don't see that on any of the new shows if I'm not mistaken. Not really important but I was wondering when and why they got rid of that?

NoTacos

LMFAO!!!!!!!! Survivor Series '97: Team America came out to Kurt Angle's theme. Did this really happen???? Or was it edited? I never saw it until now.

LMFAO!!!!!!!! Survivor Series '97: Team America came out to Kurt Angle's theme. Did this really happen???? Or was it edited? I never saw it until now.

That music was originally The Patriot's music during his WWF 1997 run. They re-used it for Kurt Angle when he debuted in 1999.

Signed up yesterday. Roku had some issues with buffering but seems to be better today.

Also have an AppleTV and it works fine. Saw Armagedden 2001. Forgot how good the preshow montages are to hype you up.

Wrestlemania 6 has a good Vince McMahon intro. What a voice.

B so far. Not a bad start

pa22word

Lol watching the '13 rumble live atm and that finish to the rock/punk was super lame.

Edit: oh shit they're restarting thebmatch?! Haha nice

Edit 2: only to end it less than a min later T_T meh...

foltzie1

They did come out to that music, though at that time it was previously The Patriots entrance music.

For some reason I think Mark Henry used it in his first match against Jerry Lawler.

In either event, WWE has certainly got their mileage out of that number and "Somebody better call my mama", since that song has now been used by six different wrestlers.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the ending to that Rumble really sucked.

Was quite a trip to see Ryback so over though.

geomon

Right now I'm watching WCW Hog Wild '96. I miss Heenan, Dusty, and yes, even Schiavone.

Next up: Fall Brawl '96. Can't wait for that Benoit/Jericho match.

Vylash

As someone who bailed on wwe during cena's big run, mind giving me the rundown on why? I thought the rock came back a year before that match?

2 years before actually, he came back and started a one year feud with Cena that killed Miz's title run and cultivated in an awful match at Mania, so the next year they gave the Rumble to Cena and the title to Rock so they could have an even more awful rematch for the title

foltzie1

As someone who bailed on wwe during cena's big run, mind giving me the rundown on why? I thought the rock came back a year before that match?

Rock going over Punk was not a problem. Punk got some great mileage out of that program, despite the forgone conclusion and went on to an Undertaker program and Rock went on to put over Cena at WM.

The Batista situation is different. The WWE seems to know they will have a heel/heel main event and that is very unusual for any PPV, let alone WM.

Top Bottom