• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

DMczaf

Bootista
Borton
B+ Player
Big Shoe

a McMahon in every corner

jm6SbgYc5qLZh.jpg

strobogo

Banned
The Wildman Marc Marro. Oh, Pettengill. WM12 is weird. Michael Cole does a voice over for the Piper/Goldust video package, but he didn't debut in the WWF until 1997, so he was recording over for someone at some point. I wonder when it was done and who he was dubbed over. I thought maybe it was Todd Pettengill, but he's on the show and all the other PPVs from the era. Maybe it was the music being used that needed to be dubbed, so the voice over needed to be redone as well.

GRW810

Oh man, Todd Pettingill. I'll shell out $10 just to see him on WWE programming again. Takes me way back to my childhood.

I made it halfway through Spring Stampede 2000 before having to shut it off. Holy shit, what garbage.

What's hilarious is that 7 months later, they couldn't even get 1,000 people in that same arena for Nitro.
I just went through all of the WCW 2000 PPVs. Almost finished with 2001 as I have to go through Superbrawl and Greed. My god they're terrible. I don't know how Stro did it.

pax217

Hi all, I've got the following for tonight:
  • Girlfriend is gone
  • Plenty of beer
  • An interest in signing up for this so I can watch it tonight

What I need for a perfect evening:

Some recommendation of stuff to watch on here. The unbelievable, over-the-top stuff that would be enjoyable alongside an increasing amount of alcohol and burrito intake. Can you give me some?

Thanks!

pax217

TLC from Wrestlemania X7, Edge falls straight to the outside from the top of a ladder with no table or anyone to catch him, that's insane.

EDIT: Hell of a match. What a show.

JavyOO7

Ah, I finally gave myself some time yesterday to watch the Wyatt family appear on RAW for the first time. Then I saw Bray against Kofi, Kane, and Bryan. One knock I'll give on the guy against Bryan was I felt Bray could have done more offense. But what little offense was there I felt was pretty good. That and Bryan did a great jump bumping for him.

What a heel he is! I can't see the Feb PPV until that pops up on the network, but he has great charisma and a great voice so I never mind hearing him talk.

pax217

Two beers, four matches down.

I feel like I'm going to go back and watch all the matches I want to watch, and without live RAW and SmackDown, I have no use for the subscription...?

Or, maybe, because most of the fans actually like The Big Show and understand the point that a massive giant should be in the main event picture instead of jobbing to I don't know, Dolph Ziggler in 30 seconds.
i think most people are indifferent to him and also he's shit and can barely go anymore. like rey.

ALTHOUGH i will say his heel run from late 2012-2013 was actually pretty good and he had some solid brawls with Sheamus and was responsible for the only decent feud babyface ADR had. Oh, and Kofi Kingston's best match ever

i think most people are indifferent to him and also he's shit and can barely go anymore. like rey.

No, people are indifferent to Damien Sandow and in non-smark areas, Dolph Ziggler. A 7 foot guy will always have a certain level of overness.

Also, Rey masks still sell tons at house shows and he's had better matches with no knee cartilage than whoever the indy darling of the week is.

In other words, what I want is Rey & Big Show pinning Ziggler & Sandow next week on RAW.

No, people are indifferent to Damien Sandow and in non-smark areas, Dolph Ziggler. A 7 foot guy will always have a certain level of overness.

Also, Rey masks still sell tons at house shows and he's had better matches with no knee cartilage than whoever the indy darling of the week is.

In other words, what I want is Rey & Big Show pinning Ziggler & Sandow next week on RAW.
aside from the fact that Sandow and Zig Zag haven't not been booked like the loserest of losers in a looooooooooooooooooooooong time (and before that, just normal losers), that part is most certainly not true. dude can't do much anymore. restrict him to tags. hell, team him with Show again. i still wouldn't want to see them, but at least they'd be combined to one segment

I bought in today and I'm already happy with the purchase, I started watching old wcw PPVs and I remembered that I went to Starcade 93 when I was 13.

During the Rick Rude Boss Man Match
woooo_zps2cbb2a29.png

I'm the fat kid with the sign. I got to meet Jesse after the show. My dad took my best friend and I for my birthday. The only ppv I ever went to and it was amazing!

Jamie OD

Watched WCW World War 3 '95 and saw one of the wrestlers looked like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. Turned out it was The Yeti. Yes, that Yeti. Funny thing is the announcers kept hyping him up as one of the favourites and he winds up becoming one of the first guys eliminated from the match.

BiSE754IIAE3_lH.jpg

Also apparently WWE did not expect the WCW content to be so popular on the Network (and possibly as a side effect some of their own archived shows haven't been watched as much as they expected). If that's true then they definitely will not be prepared for when Nitro gets uploaded.

Or, maybe, because most of the fans actually like The Big Show and understand the point that a massive giant should be in the main event picture instead of jobbing to I don't know, Dolph Ziggler in 30 seconds.

Guess The Great Khali should be in the main event picture instead of a goofy circus sideshow. He's huge, right? Hmm...

Also apparently WWE did not expect the WCW content to be so popular on the Network (and possibly as a side effect some of their own archived shows haven't been watched as much as they expected). If that's true then they definitely will not be prepared for when Nitro gets uploaded.

If this is true then it adds to this feeling I've got that the WWE are people who have been royalty for so long they forgot that the taxes they've been collecting aren't a sure thing.

jred2k

Of all the annoying shit King does, his marking out for his son may be the worst. His entire voice and demeanor is different when he talks about his son. It really feels like Brian Christopher is the only guy he ever legitimately tried getting over.

strobogo

Banned
All the WCW DVDs have always sold very well, so them being surprised that so many people would be watching WCW stuff right away is even more ridiculous. Particularly late 80s/pre-Hogan 90s shows since most video chains didn't carry WCW releases until Hogan was there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I bought in today and I'm already happy with the purchase, I started watching old wcw PPVs and I remembered that I went to Starcade 93 when I was 13.

During the Rick Rude Boss Man Match

I'm the fat kid with the sign. I got to meet Jesse after the show. My dad took my best friend and I for my birthday. The only ppv I ever went to and it was amazing!

That's awesome!

KissVibes

Banned
Of all the annoying shit King does, his marking out for his son may be the worst. His entire voice and demeanor is different when he talks about his son. It really feels like Brian Christopher is the only guy he ever legitimately tried getting over.

How disappointed do you think King is knowing it didn't work?

blurrygil

No way, even as repetitive as they were, nothing beats Gorilla/Brain, Gorilla/Jesse, Vince/Jesse. Also, Mikey Tenay fucking sucks and always has. He was a lame asshole nerd dropping stupid references and thinking he was super cool for them. Fuck Mike Tenay. He's proof that knowing the names of moves doesn't mean dick.

I REALLY liked early-WCW Tenay, as I tried to exhibit in my original post. He truly came off as the "Professor of Wrestling", at the time. He knew proper move names (which added much credit over the "wrasslin" stigma WCW was stapled with for so many early years), he added a different layer of excitement (not your typical post-career heel wrestler color grunting and hollering), and corrected/cleaned up the other commentators from their PPB botches, ESPECIALLY Schivone). Now in his later WCW work and then in TNA, he was absolutely awful. Should've just stuck with his original color work and he'd be legend, full stop.

Heenan and Monsoon had chemistry, a clear face/heel divide, and Heenan was hilarious. Anyone is going to be repetitive if you're watching weeks worth of content in a week.

This is setting aside WWE Network, however. I grew up on it all.

To each their own. But Bobby had those moments where he'd make something up and had absolutely nowhere to go with it or back it up. Those moments absolutely infuriated me, and not in a comical or character sense. I'm aware I'm in the minority here. But the Heenan era (at least in the WWF) didn't stick with me very well. He was certainly fun and hilarious, but perhaps not enough to my full liking.

*Disclaimer: He did provide a bit of jargon to my personal vocabulary that I still use to this day, the word "waffled"; ie. "He waffled him with that title belt, Schivone!"

That sounds like most peoples' bottom five except for Ross. Even Styles has admitted he was shitty at commentary before coming to WWE. Tenay is boring, Vince was a vanilla play by play guy who thought every count was a three count, and Lawler just screamed at tits for the entire Attitude era.

Then I suppose I'm in the minority and don't feel bad about it. I felt midway through the traditional ECW era was Joey's peak. I got to meet and chat with him once in San Diego, and yes, he totally sticks with saying he sucked at commentary from the start; I mean, name someone who didn't stink it up in some way from their beginnings. However, once he got his groove and some of his gimmicks down, he just called those matches from his heart and made it work. His work lent credit to the performers' work, sounded extremely (no pun intended, or not, I don't know) exciting, and he was by far the wittiest in any commentary booth. I was laughing so hard at some of his quips I would be in tears. When I shared that statement with him, he started on a list of his favorites, particularly the one from One Night Stand where Sandman screamed for a beer with Tommy Dreamer laid out and bloodied. Joey retorted, "....a beer?!? Roomy needs PLASMA!!". We died. He also told stories about Tracy Smothers and the FBI. Couldn't get enough of the one-liners he'd use about Smothers being the most un-Italian guy on the planet, yet, being part of the FBI. Awesome stuff.

I enjoyed Vince because his work lent credit to the level of competition; like anyone could truly win a match at any time. And there was none better at hyping up the upcoming pay per views or major events. He also got good at not calling moves that he had no idea to what they were. His reactions to heel commentary was great, too. Like most commentators that overstayed their welcomes, the latter years of Vinnie Mac were pretty poor. As always, he stuck with the same gimmicks and phrases for so long that like many others, would rely on them too much and just got stale.

Again, I'm the minority here, all in all. And I can live with that.

My favourite WWE commentary team was JR and Paul Heyman, even if it was only for a short time.

I would've really liked Heyman had he kept his hyperbole in check. The shit he would say was more over the top than Vince.

William Regal is by far and away the best commentator that WWE have at the moment. He has such an uncanny knack of really selling the characters and the importance of every action in a match.

He made NXT Arrival feel so much more important than it was.

I can certainly give that Regal lends a lot of credibility to NXT, while on commentary. But I just cannot call him a "good" commentator. He's mediocre, at best. I wish he would use more of his expansive knowledge of holds and moves in his dialogue. He's witty as fuck, and can come up with some hilarious on-the-fly responses to things. But he doesn't have a very good commentators flow or pace. Otherwise, if he sticks with it and picks up what I'm puttin down, he's got a shot at being really great.

Tenay, Tony S, WCW Heenan were garbage. Heenan should have went NWO and he would have been great on commentary. Heenan as a face just doesn't work

The early Monday Night Wars, for this trio, were great IMO. But Tenay was the only real bright spot for me. And they got progressively worse... and fairly quickly.

Watched Insurrextion 2001 last night as it was one of the PPVs from that era I'd not seen what with the UK shows not really being that common on DVD.

Anyway the in ring work was fine but the booking was stupid.

Stupid show.

House show. That's all it is, really.

That was the first "ecw" PPV I showed my gf and she now wants to watch ecw above all else.

She's a keeper.

Mine loves the wrasslin, but can't do the gore or stand crimson masks. She's ok with mediocre blood spots. But when it gets bad, she covers up or leaves... lol.

He hosted the recent WWF In Your House DVD.

WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!? He lives?? Noice!

Batigol

Banned
Guys, can you give me an attitude era ppv that is strong all the way through? Or close to it. Just not any wrestlemanias

strobogo

Banned
I'm 100% positive that Mike Tenay wears a fedora and has worn it in conjunction with a poor fitting leather jacket for over 25 years.

I have no idea what 'show' is on but I tune in this morning at the exact second Jake the Snake locks the Ultimate warrior in the room full of snakes lol. Warrior is just kicking snakes everywhere. I love this purchase so much.

I have no idea what 'show' is on but I tune in this morning at the exact second Jake the Snake locks the Ultimate warrior in the room full of snakes lol. Warrior is just kicking snakes everywhere. I love this purchase so much.

The fill time between shows by showing old vignettes and the like.

Aiii

So not worth it
Decided to just watch all WrestleMania's in order after doing the review for 11 to get at least some hype going into WrestleMania 30.

Top Bottom