• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

MattyH

can anyone recommend a DNS that doesnt crap out after 4pm (GMT) sounds odd i know but i can watch live and on demand all day up until around 4 or 5 pm then it goes to shit

Zach

So when do we find our how successful the Network is? Like, actual subscribers? I'd love to see an infographic about viewing habits, too.

Watching king of the ring 96. Pretty solid so far. I'm laughing at the crowd chanting for all the female valets, face or heel. I miss king of the ring and I hope they bring it back some time. The tournament format allows them to book the ppv differently to al the others.

mankind vs taker was great, and this goldust vs Ahmed Johnson match is solid too. But then it would be. Goldust has always been legit.

also, you can put me on team original heel doink. Matt was great. Shame about his problems outside of the ring. Rip doink.

blurrygil

SummerSlam is a better PPV though imho because it doesn't have that huge buildup with a Royal Rumble having to play into the plans for the main event and also the Undertaker match. Those are fine things, sure, but SummerSlam lets them take the gloves off and do whatever the hell they want.

+1 for SummerSlam as the best PPV event of all time. Royal Rumble would have been it, but there have been some BAD Rumble winners and the main event is almost always throwaway.

I agree with this 100%.

I think it was a Summerslam that had D'Lo Brown vs Val Venis as the opener and it went something like 20 minutes and was amazing. I never thought that matchup could be so good.

That was SS 98 for the European Championship, my friend. I remember it well. Probably the best opener since Sting/Koloff v. 4 Horsemen (Blanchard/AA) at GAB '88, to me at least. Never been so out-of-my-seat hyped for a mid-tier opening title match.

Underrated WM matches:

Hercules vs Ultimate Warrior WM4 Nope; Mostly a poor match. One of Herc's best matches, I'll agree.
Rockers vs Twin Towers WM5 Agreed
Rockers vs Faces of Fear WM7 Agreed; minus the FoF botches
Big Boss Man vs Mr. Perfect WM7 Yuuuuup!
HBK vs Tito WM8 This one was good, slow to the finish IMO
HBK vs Tatanka WM9 An all-time great
Steiners vs Headshrinkers WM9 Agreed; was there a solid rematch to this? Very good match, but had potential to be really REALLY great
Mr. Perfect vs Lex Luger WM9 This was as good as Perfect v BBM; agreed
Taka vs Aguila WM14 Agreed; And will say this was THE best lightheavy/cruiserweight match the WWE has ever had

* See edits

I actually think WrestleMania 8 as a complete package is a pretty solid PPV.

--Flair vs Savage

I wish this match had much more time for it. Would've been epic had it gone an old-NWA-time-limit length.

WM4 is the worst. Stro is downplaying the big event feel WM5 had though.

I was hyped until the Hogan match. Then stopped caring completely except for the finals and the Savage matches. Even the final was a bit of a let down, due to the dirty finish.

The other weird thing from that PPV was Owen Hart and Ken Shamrock fighting in an octagon while JR shits all over UFC.

Didn't notice it years ago but it's interesting to hear him talk about how you won't find octagon action like theirs anywhere else on PPV.

Didn't they only had like, 6 of these matches?! (checks...yup, mostly on Heat)

Man, I was excited to see them use that gimmick more often. :(

Watching king of the ring 96. Pretty solid so far. I'm laughing at the crowd chanting for all the female valets, face or heel. I miss king of the ring and I hope they bring it back some time. The tournament format allows them to book the ppv differently to al the others.

mankind vs taker was great, and this goldust vs Ahmed Johnson match is solid too. But then it would be. Goldust has always been legit.

also, you can put me on team original heel doink. Matt was great. Shame about his problems outside of the ring. Rip doink.

All of this. Especially KOTR. I miss that format SO much. Ditch the qualifiers for the most part. Just lock 8 solid guys into a room, let them figure out the whole finish, then throw them into a one-night grand prix and make some magic!! Winner gets a nice little push (likely gets buried).

Shiv47

Can't wait till they get more WCCW up. I used to watch it every Sunday morning when we went to my grandparents' house after church. Waiting for wrestling made sitting through the boring ass mass worthwhile. Just watched King Kong Bundy and Wild Bill Irwin attacking the Freebirds during their face run, I guess. I could never stand the Freebirds even as faces. Michael Hayes will always be a douche.

Downhome

Is surround sound through the network working for any of you on any device? I could have sworn it was coming through all of my speakers on my Roku before but I'm not getting anything out of my rear speakers now. The video quality is also horrible tonight as well.

strobogo

Banned
Austin/Rock at WM17 is the greatest WM main event of all time and very possibly the best WWE main event period. Such an amazing match. I forgot how good it was. Seeing the jump from WM15 to WM17 is staggering. I thought maybe nostalgia had made people rate it so high for so long, but it is better than what my nostalgia remembered. It's a god damn war. Austin breaking out moves he hadn't been doing since the Stunning Steve/Ringmaster days, teasing of previous big WM match finishes (Austin/Bret, Bret/Piper, among others), both guys doing whatever they could to win. It's so good. WM17 from Shane/Vince on is pretty hard to beat.

Dante316

Austin/Rock at WM17 is the greatest WM main event of all time and very possibly the best WWE main event period. Such an amazing match. I forgot how good it was. Seeing the jump from WM15 to WM17 is staggering. I thought maybe nostalgia had made people rate it so high for so long, but it is better than what my nostalgia remembered. It's a god damn war. Austin breaking out moves he hadn't been doing since the Stunning Steve/Ringmaster days, teasing of previous big WM match finishes (Austin/Bret, Bret/Piper, among others), both guys doing whatever they could to win. It's so good. WM17 from Shane/Vince on is pretty hard to beat.

I agree 100%. This match was beyond belief. The promos, the fast pace and even though austin regrets going heel. It added alot to it.

foltzie1

I'm loving the quality of the live feed and I'm pleasantly surprised how much the feeds for on demand shows have improved.

Just finished watching the next episode of NXT and it looks great. Adam Rose has the best entrance I have seen in some time. . . But how do they have the bodies to support that gimmick full time?

strobogo

Banned
I'm loving the quality of the live feed and I'm pleasantly surprised how much the feeds for on demand shows have improved.

Just finished watching the next episode of NXT and it looks great. Adam Rose has the best entrance I have seen in some time. . . But how do they have the bodies to support that gimmick full time?

They have a ton of people in developmental that aren't on TV and aren't close to being on TV. NXT runs house shows where those guys get used.

I somehow missed this upon my original viewing of Backlash 2000.

9zftyHr.gif

foltzie1

They have a ton of people in developmental that aren't on TV and aren't close to being on TV. NXT runs house shows where those guys get used.

I have no reason to doubt this, especially given the gladiator, but I have been to an FCW show and I wasnt aware they had so many under contract in developmental.

More than a week ago I called WWE Network services cause they charged me twice and nothing has happened so far. Calling them again.

I want Vince on the line godamnit.

Kinda cool that they use the Real Americans theme for their on-hold music though

strobogo

Banned
God damn, has there ever been a good musical performance at a wrestling show? I've seen Motorhead, Fozzy (fucking lol), Limp Bizkit, Saliva, Kid Rock, Puff Daddy, Machine Gun Kelly, Ozzy, Salt N Peppa, Lillian. I'm sure there have been more. And they all fucking sucked.

gatisimo

God damn, has there ever been a good musical performance at a wrestling show? I've seen Motorhead, Fozzy (fucking lol), Limp Bizkit, Saliva, Kid Rock, Puff Daddy, Machine Gun Kelly, Ozzy, Salt N Peppa, Lillian. I'm sure there have been more. And they all fucking sucked.

Aretha Franklin!

Living Colour was okay.

Nah man I remember no music at all after Taker pins Haitch at Mania 17. Is this Haitch's way of revising history and saying that the reaction of him losing to Taker was met with silence over our hero?

Still shitty that we don't get Highway to Hell tho

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
it was an awful time for rock music. I never liked the metal versions of themes they used either, like Austin's Disturbed theme.

I think Kane's theme was better with it, though. Austin's Disturbed theme was dogshit though.

strobogo

Banned
Nah man I remember no music at all after Taker pins Haitch at Mania 17. Is this Haitch's way of revising history and saying that the reaction of him losing to Taker was met with silence over our hero?

Still shitty that we don't get Highway to Hell tho

It seems weird to license Rollin for the entrance, but not after the match. I thought something was wrong with the stream when the sound cut out right after the match ended. But then Iron Man is used on some of the NWA shows for LOD unedited, sometimes Sting's classic theme is used on old stuff, sometimes it generic stuff.

My favorite dubbings are Cat's music, because it is hilariously awful, and the lack of Badstreet USA for Michael Hayes because FUCK MICHAEL HAYES.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It seems weird to license Rollin for the entrance, but not after the match. I thought something was wrong with the stream when the sound cut out right after the match ended. But then Iron Man is used on some of the NWA shows for LOD unedited, sometimes Sting's classic theme is used on old stuff, sometimes it generic stuff.

My favorite dubbings are Cat's music, because it is hilariously awful, and the lack of Badstreet USA for Michael Hayes because FUCK MICHAEL HAYES.

Some of the WCW dub overs are BETTER than the originals. Cat's is hilarious. Misfits in Action is equally as funny and gets a SHIT TON of play in the back half of 2000 as they are out 2 to 3 times a card.

strobogo

Banned
Some of the WCW dub overs are BETTER than the originals. Cat's is hilarious. Misfits in Action is equally as funny and gets a SHIT TON of play in the back half of 2000 as they are out 2 to 3 times a card.

And sounds nothing at all like the original song, which shouldn't be dubbed in the first place since it was written for WCW. Cat's is so bad it seems like it has to be a rib on him.

I need recommendations for amazing Rey Mysterio matches. Preferably where he wins. My 9-year-old is just starting to watch with me and he's her favorite. I love Rey too, but my memory sucks.

Ravager61

I need recommendations for amazing Rey Mysterio matches. Preferably where he wins. My 9-year-old is just starting to watch with me and he's her favorite. I love Rey too, but my memory sucks.

Rey Mysterio vs Psicosis at Bash at the Beach 1996 is amazing. I just watched it the other day. This is the show where Hogan turns heel too so it's worth watching the whole thing even if some of the other matches are duds.

Absolutely, incredible match from two of the best of all time. Austin was especially great in it. His ringwork in 2001 is some of his best after the neck injury, IMO.

jred2k

The Tuesday night programming on the network is pretty good. Main Event-WM Rewind-Countdown.

As a side note, nothing makes Mike Tyson happier than crotch chopping.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm almost done with 2000 in my watch of WCW in reverse. Got the main event(s) of Uncensored; THE YAPAPPI BROTHER and some title match no one cares about, then Superbrawl on the dock for tonight. Should be at the beginning of the Russo era by the weekend.

strobogo

Banned
I'm almost done with 2000 in my watch of WCW in reverse. Got the main event(s) of Uncensored; THE YAPAPPI BROTHER and some title match no one cares about, then Superbrawl on the dock for tonight. Should be at the beginning of the Russo era by the weekend.

The best part about WCW 2000 is that you can watch the PPVs in reverse order and they'd pretty much make the same amount of sense as if you'd watched them chronologically.

thomasos

So my attempts to get on the network have been an unmitigated disaster. I'm able to login via my PC, so I know my account is working, but no luck with Xbox 360, PS4, or iPad.

On Xbox 360, I get an error saying "User or Password unrecognized." On PS4, after I enter my email and password and hit continue, nothing happens. (It doesn't even make a clicking noise.) And on iPad, I get a "Log in failed" error.

Anyone else run into similar issues? I called support and they were no help at all.

Top Bottom