• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

JLynn

Slam City is basically John Cena's Slammin' Wrestling. To me it was similar to Hulk Hogan's Rock N Wrestling except Slam City is stop motion animation.

wwe-wwf2rs9x.png

Can someone explain to me how this happens? Screengrab from Survivor Series 1995.

Likely one of the transitions that they had to re-edit after the WWE name change, otherwise they would've have to blur out that screen which would've been dumb.

For example, for Wrestlemania XV they edited the transitions in the 2005 DVD release to say WWE. In the 2013 DVD release they were able to restore them to the original (a few years ago WWE struck a deal with World Wildlife Fund so that they don't have to edit out any mentions to WWF anymore in archival footage).

I'm sure as time goes on they will go back and restore original footage everywhere they can.

Based on story line, Ultimate Warrior is the WWF/E GOAT

Clean wins
- Squashes Andre
- Hogan
- Savage
- Taker (in pinfall and body bag matches)
- Squashes HHH

Playing Wrasslin Math

Warrior>>Taker>>HHH>>HBK>>Punk>>Brock (soon)>>The Rock>>Mankind>>Vader>>Diesel>>Sid>>Flair>>Hogan>>Orton>>Batista>>Cena

I can go on. Warrior is the GOAT and would crush anyone

jmdajr

Clean wins
- Squashes Andre
- Hogan
- Savage
- Squashes HHH

Playing Wrasslin Math

Warrior>>Taker>>HHH>>HBK>>Punk>>Brock (soon)>>The Rock>>Mankind>>Vader>>Diesel>>Sid>>Flair>>Hogan>>Orton>>Batista>>Cena

He lost what? Like two matches?
One against Rude and one against Slaughter. Both had interference.

MC Safety

I like the Samoan headbutt running gag a lot. It's up there with things like Flair going to the top rope or Angle hitting himself with a chair when it bounces off the ropes.

The thing about the Samoans and their hard heads is that it's subtle. If it's mentioned by the announcers at all they'll say something like, "That's not a good idea!"

But really, the high-flying, the face paint, the hard heads ... that's all a throwback to the WWF's Wild West days.

BFIB

Its weird watching old matches, where wrestlers are in submission holds, and are tapping the mat repeatedly.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Its weird watching old matches, where wrestlers are in submission holds, and are tapping the mat repeatedly.

yeah it's weird how once UFC struck up, people were more trained to look for the tap instead of the "gesture at the ref repeatedly to give up while in a bear hug"

foltzie1

Yeah, tapping out wasnt done until Tazz started using the MMA gimmick in ECW in 95 and it was picked up in the WWE when they started using Shamrock (97ish). I dont know when WCW started accepting tapout for submission, but I assume it was right around when the WWE moved.

Kind of amazing to see old Flair matches since him pounding the mat and shaking his head as it was such a great part of his character.

BFIB

yeah it's weird how once UFC struck up, people were more trained to look for the tap instead of the "gesture at the ref repeatedly to give up while in a bear hug"

It does add more drama when the wrestler is trying not to tap. Better than the "lift the arm 3 times."

I watched basjk at the beach last night; petter than I remember.
I did remember that Austin Steamboat match very clearly. It was an amazing match and not a single person in the crowd gave a shit; just dead pan faces.

The Team match with Pretty Wonderful went on WAY too long...
I thought it was a good PPV over-all

Q: Are they planning on adding all the mising RAW's? I assume so but honestly I thought they would already be there when I started. I, like everyone, wants to re-watch the Attittude era from the begining and I want all the Nitro's I didn't watch back in the day.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I did remember that Austin Steamboat match very clearly. It was an amazing match and not a single person in the crowd gave a shit; just dead pan faces.

Q: Are they planning on adding all the mising RAW's? I assume so but honestly I thought they would already be there when I started. I, like everyone, wants to re-watch the Attittude era from the begining and I want all the Nitro's I didn't watch back in the day.

Yeah that was a hell of a show. Loved Bash 94.

As far as Raw is concerned they're gonna probably do a content push when the Monday Night Wars show hits, or right after.

If I were in charge I'd release the episodes in question that went head to head after the MNW episode that discusses them so you can view them in the right context.

I fell asleep to the live stream and at one point woke up to a random old nitro. The schedule said it was a 93 episode of raw but it was actually a nitro from like 95 or 96. I hope this means were getting some in the vod soon.

jmdajr

All of the Raw Replays on the live stream don't seem to be in the on demand section. Just find it odd.

Rapstah

Likely one of the transitions that they had to re-edit after the WWE name change, otherwise they would've have to blur out that screen which would've been dumb.

For example, for Wrestlemania XV they edited the transitions in the 2005 DVD release to say WWE. In the 2013 DVD release they were able to restore them to the original (a few years ago WWE struck a deal with World Wildlife Fund so that they don't have to edit out any mentions to WWF anymore in archival footage).

I'm sure as time goes on they will go back and restore original footage everywhere they can.

Yeah, I know, but there's a WWF logo in the corner. As well as all over the event. I think that's the only time "WWE" appears in the entire thing. They also mute it every time Vince says "WWF" as a commentator, but Todd Pettengill says "WWF" in one of his interviews without being muted.

Yeah, I know, but there's a WWF logo in the corner. As well as all over the event. I think that's the only time "WWE" appears in the entire thing. They also mute it every time Vince says "WWF" as a commentator, but Todd Pettengill says "WWF" in one of his interviews without being muted.

WWE never had to blur the Block logo. The only one they weren't allowed to use was the Scratch logo. And I guess that the backstage interviews were never featured on any DVD sets, hence them remaining unedited.

BFIB

Watching a few more Legends of Wrestling, and yeah, Flair is almost as bad as Hayes. Dude will not let anyone else get a word in. Poor Taz trying to name his factions, and can't breathe a word out because Flair keeps interrupting.

Currently watching WM Rewind from tonight, two observations:

1. Big Show is in significantly better shape now than he was 10 years ago.

2. They censored commentary calling the FU. What the hell? lol

Shiv47

Watched one of the Old School shows from the 70s, and it was weird seeing the dude who murdered Bruiser Brody in the opening match. Also watched the WM Rewind about the Hogan-Andre match, and it would have been cool to see more of the build in full segments. I imagine Gary Thorne had to be rolling his eyes at some of the hyperbole in the narration.

As someone else said, that original WWF logo they were allowed to show, but any other arrangement of WWF they were banned from using, including the scratch logo and using the initials "W W F" in any other way. Also maybe they screwed up on the Pettengill interview or they edited that part back but not everything. I was reading there's a PPV on the Network where someone's music is there in his entrance but still edited out in his outro...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watched one of the Old School shows from the 70s, and it was weird seeing the dude who murdered Bruiser Brody in the opening match. Also watched the WM Rewind about the Hogan-Andre match, and it would have been cool to see more of the build in full segments. I imagine Gary Thorne had to be rolling his eyes at some of the hyperbole in the narration.

I hate seeing Carlos Colon. I really do, and I really hate the HoF this year is going to have him. Fucking horrible.

Clean wins
- Squashes Andre
- Hogan
- Savage
- Squashes HHH

Playing Wrasslin Math

I liked him as a child but he kinda represents everything I hated about wrestling in the 90s, mostly just total squashes and non-competitive matches.

I did however enjoy "The Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior" film, which I doubt will ever be added to the WWE Network now that Warrior is joining the Hall of Fame. Everyone is very critical of him and make fun of him pretty freely.

I think it's streaming here: http://www.veoh.com/watch/v17875888nDwazh4G

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
New shit:

WCW PPVs
Bash At The Beach
CHANGED - WCW Bash At The Beach 1996 - 1996/07/06
CHANGED - WCW Bash At The Beach 1997 - 1997/07/12
Battle Bowl
CHANGED - WCW Battle Bowl 1993 - 1993/11/19
Capital Combat
CHANGED - WCW Capital Combat 1990 - 1990/05/18
Vault
Ecw Hardcore Tv
#59 - 1994/05/30
Legends Of Wrestling
Wrestling with Patriotism - 2009/07/01
Old School
Maple Leaf Gardens 11/10/85 - 1985/11/09
Search Only
RAW
Episode 24 - 1993/07/05
Originals
Wwe Countdown
Biggest Backstabs - 2014/03/18

DMczaf

Why does Vince love Carlos Colon and Jimmy Snuka so much? Do they have dirt on Vince, which is why they haven't been blackballed and erased from WWE history?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why does Vince love Carlos Colon and Jimmy Snuka so much? Do they have dirt on Vince, which is why they haven't been blackballed and erased from WWE history?

Honestly, probably. Vince was no angel back then. Not on the level of murder, but...yknow.

Sephzilla

You couldn't just give the gimmick and intro to anybody else and expect them to be Warrior.

The intro simply requires you to be able to run around and shake ropes for a few minutes and not get gassed out. The gimmick bare-minimum requires you to ramble incoherently for a few minutes for promos and have a respectable looking body.

Top Bottom