• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

jmdajr

hey so like..this is in community now....

6ONCzuQ.gif

strobogo

Banned
I hope the Showdown at Shea Stadium shows eventually get put up. All 3 have things that sound interesting.

1972: Big John Studd before he was Big John Studd, Fuji vs Jack Brisco, Monsoon vs Ernie Ladd, 65 minute Pedro Morales vs Bruno which was like the Hogan/Warrior of the era.

1976: Andre vs Chuck Wapner, Inoki vs Ali, Bruno vs Stan Hansen

1980: Hogan vs Andre, Bruno vs Zbyszko in a cage, Fujinami vs Chavo Classic.

To my knowledge, the only matches released by WWE on any sets have been Hogan vs Andre and Bruno vs Larry. Research shows that it appears the 1980 show aired on 24/7 once.

Sigh, so that's what happened to some of the WCW ppv's that were there last week but disappeared.

Yeah, it's weird as hell to see Jericho in WCW and him coming out with his WWE Break the Walls Down Y2J music.

I never followed WCW growing up so this is the first time seeing the PPVs and even I can tell when something isn't right with the entrance music sometimes.

strobogo

Banned
For some reason, both ECW and WCW PPVs are now also listed under the Vault section. Including some that don't show up under the PPV section.

FyreWulff

So trialed again, trying the 360 app now.. no search?

Also, the WCW chronological seems to be missing Bash at the Beach 1996. Selecting a year will still show you all of the WCW PPVs, too.

Plus, there's no markers on any video - WCW, WWE, whatever.. It's like it's using the standard 360 video viewer, the basic FF/RW and "skip to next" is the end of the entire PPV.. bleh

strobogo

Banned
So trialed again, trying the 360 app now.. no search?

Also, the WCW chronological seems to be missing Bash at the Beach 1996. Selecting a year will still show you all of the WCW PPVs, too.

Plus, there's no markers on any video - WCW, WWE, whatever.. It's like it's using the standard 360 video viewer, the basic FF/RW and "skip to next" is the end of the entire PPV.. bleh

I don't know if it is the case on 360 or not, but missing WCW PPVs are under the Vault section. Even ones that don't show up under searching. It's weird.

I might be late on this but with the newest ps4 update it appears to resume from where you left it now. It did when I was watching the main event replay anyway!

The network is teaching me about all these unspoken rules. Like a tag team is only aloud one pin breakup during a match, or both feet have to be floored for a legal tag to take place.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Only one new piece of WWE Network content today but that's fine because WCCW is dope as fuck:

Vault
Wccw
#57 - 1983/01/22

Its fun pinpointing the start of the new eras through the PPV's You can really tell when WWF started their transitional eras from Hulkamania>New Gen>Attitude>Ruthless Aggression

Watch Survivor Series 92. That to me was the dawn of the New Generaion era. Passing of guard.

-Hogan was done as a full timer
-Warrior was gone
-Razor Ramon
-Mr Perfect elevated
-Bret as champ
-Yoko debut
-Taker as face in a casket match
-Tatanka
-Flairs last PPV
-HBK in the main

Attitude era has basically started at KotR 1996. Watch the PPV before that, which was still New Generation. 96 really was the start of the Attitude era

-More mature story lines. Look at the next PPV, that story line involving HBK sexual harassing Diana Hart

Attitude Era ended after Wrestlemania 18 imo with the brand split.

No clue after with the Ruthless Aggression and Universe era as I didn't really keep up and didn't go back to those eras yet. Im gonna guess that the Universe era started in 2006 or so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpJddNlGjxc

Bret vs. Shawn in the main event. Great match. You'd think they were heading toward good things, but then they do the Wrestlemania ending with Bret losing and Hogan capturing the title again. Just weird.

Bret and Perfect's KotR match was really good too.

Hogan was shoehorned in. Hogans run pretty much ended at Mania 8. He made less appearances than The Rock during his pre WCW stint. Which is why I still consider SS 92 the real start of the New Generation era.

Bret and Perfect matches were always great.

BFIB

Hogan was shoehorned in. Hogans run pretty much ended at Mania 8. He made less appearances than The Rock during his pre WCW stint. Which is why I still consider SS 92 the real start of the New Generation era.

Bret and Perfect matches were always great.

It still pisses me off to no end how WM9 went down though. That was all Hogan, and I had a huge smile on my face watching the KOTR PPV through scrambled lines when Yoko pinned Hogan.

Pretty much took Bret a year to be built back up again.

It still pisses me off to no end how WM9 went down though. That was all Hogan, and I had a huge smile on my face watching the KOTR PPV through scrambled lines when Yoko pinned Hogan.

Pretty much took Bret a year to be built back up again.

And the payoff was great. It was so satisfying when he finally beat Yoko, who at the time seemed unbeatable. Looking back, its great how he didn't get an immediate title shot after. He went on the win KotR and Yoko began his feuds with Lugar than Taker while destroying everyone in his path. Excellent booking

Striker

In that middle of '93 time was Owen finally getting a bigger role in the company. Easily became a legit performer and had everything you'd want in a heel. The Kliq kind of ruined the next few years, though.

I ended up hearing a few interviews about the famous Hart Austin match and I had to go watch it again. I had forgotten just how amazing it was.

The best part of the talk was that since vince has forbidden blading, they had to go behind his back. I was able to catch the moment Bret cut him and the reaction from Vince at priceless. It was such an appropriate ending; hearing about Bret requesting to work with Steve and coming up with that match ending....you forget what a badass Bret was and how much everyone loved him

I was surprised that Owen did the job at Survivor Series 92 vs the Headshrinkers. With those baggy pants and all. Bret really elevated Owen into a star.

geomon

That was pretty shocking to see, I remember. Was that real or kayfabe...? I never did look into that.

Kayfabe.

Was watching Regal/Edge at Vengeance 2001, I have a feeling they were really beating the shit out of each other. I haven't seen stiffness in the ring like that in a long time.

I can't believe how badly the 1-2-3 Kid squandered his career after one of the best launchpads in history other than the introduction promos of Razor and Undertaker.

Fucking X-PAC.

And no Punk/Cena at Summerslam was lame as was Lesnar/Cena at Extreme Rules because CenaWinsLOL. Punk/Lesnar at Summerslam however was a match for the ages.

Did Yoko really get up to 600lbs by the end of his career? or was that just WWF hyping up how large he was getting? He didn't look much different from his debut at 505lbs

Ban Puncher

Signed up for the free week to see how the WWE Network would fare through a proxy in Australia.

Not too shabby at all. Watched a whole bunch of mid 80's WWF and early 90's ECW through the PS4 and the stream only paused a couple of times.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The following shows have been added to the WWE Network today:
Vault
Ecw Hardcore Tv
#56 - 1994/05/09
#57 - 1994/05/17
#61 - 1994/06/14
Legends Of Wrestling
Canada - 2011/04/01
The Celebrity Effect - 2012/03/01
Evolution of Hardcore - 2012/09/30
Wccw
#61 - 1983/02/26
Search Only
RAW
Episode 25 - 1993/07/12
Episode 26 - 1993/07/19
Originals
Wwe Countdown
CHANGED - Coolest Catchphrases - 2014/02/24
In Ring
Wwe Superstars
Episode 258 - 2014/03/20

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Keep in mind when you're that fucking fat, the difference between 500 and 600 lbs isn't anywhere near as pronounced between 100 and 200, or even 200 to 300.

Aiii

So not worth it
I really love the network, but if there's one thing that keeps pissing me off it's that I can't properly navigate the slider on PC. Always jumps to a different point than the one I selected.

The -10 second thing is good, but if I want to go back two minutes I'm screwed.

strobogo

Banned
Keep in mind when you're that fucking fat, the difference between 500 and 600 lbs isn't anywhere near as pronounced between 100 and 200, or even 200 to 300.

You don't see a difference between those pictures? I can't believe anyone would think there wasn't much difference between Yoko when he debuted and Yoko at the end of his WWF run. It's pretty pronounced, which is even crazier considering how fat he was to begin with.

Cross posting: Everyone should watch the MSG show from 10/22/84. It features a 20 minute Dick Murdoch vs Afa match that is better than any comedy match you've seen in 20 years. Dick Murdoch was a gem.

ilh8SwtAUQbPe.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You don't see a difference between those pictures? I can't believe anyone would think there wasn't much difference between Yoko when he debuted and Yoko at the end of his WWF run. It's pretty pronounced, which is even crazier considering how fat he was to begin with.

No I do, but it's not a huge difference. Not HUGE, but I mean, he's definitely fatter.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Did Yoko really get up to 600lbs by the end of his career? or was that just WWF hyping up how large he was getting? He didn't look much different from his debut at 505lbs

Nah, dude, he was massive by the end. Like big enough I don't know how he was walking around, much less wrestling.

Ill give the Nasty Boys ONE thing. They had a great late 80's early 90's gimmick and look. The pit stop was pretty nasty and quite amusing too.

But yeah, everything else about them suck. Weren't they big douches outside the ring too? I saw them on a flight when I was in 2nd grade too.

BFIB

Ill give the Nasty Boys ONE thing. They had a great late 80's early 90's gimmick and look. The pit stop was pretty nasty and quite amusing too.

But yeah, everything else about them suck. Weren't they big douches outside the ring too? I saw them on a flight when I was in 2nd grade too.

Pretty sure the only reason they got work was because they were in Hogan's inner circle.

DMczaf

At the start of Yokozuna's career, they had him wear padded tights to make him look larger than he actually was.

At the end, he was not wearing padded tights

The following shows have been added to the WWE Network today:
Vault
Ecw Hardcore Tv
#56 - 1994/05/09
#57 - 1994/05/17
#61 - 1994/06/14
Legends Of Wrestling
Canada - 2011/04/01
The Celebrity Effect - 2012/03/01
Evolution of Hardcore - 2012/09/30
Wccw
#61 - 1983/02/26
Search Only
RAW
Episode 25 - 1993/07/12
Episode 26 - 1993/07/19
Originals
Wwe Countdown
CHANGED - Coolest Catchphrases - 2014/02/24
In Ring
Wwe Superstars
Episode 258 - 2014/03/20

Wait, they changed coolest catchphrases? How?

I don't know how true it is, but there was a RAW Magazine that claimed Yokozuna weighed in at 804 pounds at Survivor Series 1996, which prompted the company to send him on a weight-loss plan. Russo was in full effect at this point and had turned RAW Magazine into a very edgy magazine with "shoot" articles and almost-naked photoshoots of the women, so it was probably close to truth. He was fucking gigantic at that PPV.

Top Bottom