• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

somedevil

I see from the Raw from 98 has this forgotten Shawn Michaels troll after his win over the Undertaker at the Rumble.

ifoAZl6MHWIY2.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, you can type in venue names and see all the shows that went on there. That's kinda awesome.

Jamie OD

Now that there is a bunch of episodes added I'm starting to get into the habit of watching an episode each of ECW and WCCW before I go to bed. It gets depressing when you see a bunch of the Von Erichs together in the ring knowing what happened to the majority of them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Now that there is a bunch of episodes added I'm starting to get into the habit of watching an episode each of ECW and WCCW before I go to bed. It gets depressing when you see a bunch of the Von Erichs together in the ring knowing what happened to the majority of them.

Yeah it is. :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It likely will eventually. Netflix didn't start off perfect after all.

The network still has the most robust search engine for a streaming video site I've seen yet.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Wow, you can type in venue names and see all the shows that went on there. That's kinda awesome.

This is neat. I saw Starrcade '88 took place here and Magnum T.A. talked about being back home. Then I looked him up and he went to the same high school as my mom, and he's the exact same age as my mom... Aw shit maybe they hooked up some time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is neat. I saw Starrcade '88 took place here and Magnum T.A. talked about being back home. Then I looked him up and he went to the same high school as my mom, and he's the exact same age as my mom... Aw shit maybe they hooked up some time.

!!!

What if you're

MAGNUM NAME GENERATED :O

Watching the Hardcore Legends of Wrestling vid, JR made a good point about changing times. When I was growing up in the 90's watching WWE seeing a guy get busted open and bleed all over the mat was awesome. When I see those same matches today all I think is "that cant be safe/sanitary/healthy for another wrestler to be laying in someone else's blood. I turned on a recent TNA show a few months ago and the amount of blood was shocking to me and just made the entire thing seem trashy and unsafe to me.

strobogo

Banned
Sandman's transition to surfer dude to classic Sandman is so abrupt and out of nowhere. It literally went from wearing a wet suit in a ring to getting booze in his eyes to hitting his wife on accident to him smoking in his next promo and saying "Life's a bitch. And then you marry one." Paul E. took over in September and his creativity was really starting to flow by December/January. At least in terms of people saying a whole lot of shit that wouldn't fly even in the Attitude Era.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sandman's transition to surfer dude to classic Sandman is so abrupt and out of nowhere. It literally went from wearing a wet suit in a ring to getting booze in his eyes to hitting his wife on accident to him smoking in his next promo and saying "Life's a bitch. And then you marry one." Paul E. took over in September and his creativity was really starting to flow by December/January. At least in terms of people saying a whole lot of shit that wouldn't fly even in the Attitude Era.

I miss Duke Nukem Sandman. He's so perfect.

BFIB

I miss Duke Nukem Sandman. He's so perfect.

I'm so used to seeing Sandman drunk and bloody by the time he hits the ring, I completely forgot about earlier Sandman in ECW.

Rewatching the Raw with the Bigelow/Hart rematch. Man, kudos to the Hart Family for being OK with Lawler, because that was really hard to watch.

Man, I forgot how good the Razor/Flair vs. Macho Man/Perfect match was. Survivor Series 1992 is a solid PPV for what it's worth.

I remember people being pissed back in the day because they made it a regular PPV that year and only did one elimination tag. Vince must have listened because he went back to the traditional tag matches the next year.

blurrygil

I remember people being pissed back in the day because they made it a regular PPV that year and only did one elimination tag. Vince must have listened because he went back to the traditional tag matches the next year.

Now just bring back our KOTR/Grand Prix PPV, dammit... ;_;

The only bad booking I recall that was really bad during the New Generation era was Mable winning the KotR. What a bust. Anyone winning KotR that year would have been better. Like why not Razor Ramon?

DMczaf

The only bad booking I recall that was really bad during the New Generation era was Mable winning the KotR. What a bust. Anyone winning KotR that year would have been better. Like why not Razor Ramon?

Should have been Savio. He wrestled FOUR MATCHES IN ONE NIGHT.

Rapstah

He was injured at KotR 1995. They saw something in Mabel and wanted to turn him into something. Clearly being terrible at wrestling didn't stop them from attempting a push in that era

I see from the Raw from 98 has this forgotten Shawn Michaels troll after his win over the Undertaker at the Rumble.

ifoAZl6MHWIY2.gif

Best version of HBK.

Look how chubby he was in the early 90's, HBK built himself up pretty well by the late 90's. Than started to look like chit by retirement

BFIB

Just watched a little of the "celebrities" roundtable on Legends. Man, DDP got heated over the Arquette stuff with Ross.

Had no idea Arquette gave Pillman's wife all of the money he earned while in WCW.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched a little of the "celebrities" roundtable on Legends. Man, DDP got heated over the Arquette stuff with Ross.

Had no idea Arquette gave Pillman's wife all of the money he earned while in WCW.

DDP set that shit STRAIGHT. Fuck JR.

strobogo

Banned
Man, Hardcore TV is such a weirdly formatted show. It really was like nothing else being put out by wrestling companies. There really isn't a format. It's kind of hard to make sense of it a lot of weeks. Granted, part of that is because there are missing weeks, but it is usually because the format changes every week. Some weeks you'll have 70% of the show be promos. Some weeks you'll have 70% of the show be Joey talking about stuff. Some weeks the whole show will be clips from the last big show. Some weeks will be all angles. And the promos/angles are usually from multiple shows. It seems like it would have been very confusing for Paul to put together each week. Paul's creativity really started clicking around the end of 1993 and shit got crazier and crazier every show. I have no idea how this stuff was aired on local TV.

Like the Sherri/Madusa promo where Sherri says she fucked Greg Valentine and Madusa says the only thing Sherri carried was men's balls. And Shane spending a whole promo calling Terry Funk a piece of shit, son of a bitch, and using fuck over and over. Or Paul cutting promos about Funk's daughter being nick named "Canyon" and why Terry's kids look just like Dick Murdoch.

For instance, right now I'm watching a PE vs Mikey/other jobber match that is shown on a tiny monitor in the back ground while Joey and Matty In The House talk about the next Saturday show. There are no rules. Not even talking about the in ring stuff. There are no production rules. Anything goes. Multiple takes where there were multiple takes or the camera was left running and guys kind of sort of broke character. Or talking to the production truck and talked about specifics of the format. It really is SO far out of the norm for what was going on in WCW/WWF. It's fascinating even when the shows really aren't good.

Jamie OD

This moment from a WCCW episode made me burst into laughter. They just finished an interview with David Von Erich at his ranch and the segment ends with a shot of his horses along with a message advertising a King Kong Bundy match happening after the break. This is the scene we end up with.

next-devastation_zps6aad93ea.png

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
New updates:

Vault
Ecw Hardcore Tv
#64 - 1994/07/05
Legends Of Wrestling
WrestleMania - 2008/03/01
Rivalries - 2011/03/01
Search Only
RAW
Episode 29 - 1993/08/09
Smackdown
Episode 155 - 2002/08/08
In Ring
Uncategorized
Pre-Show to Raw #1087 - 2014/03/24
Raw Backstage Pass
Backstage Pass to Raw #1087 - 2014/03/24

Kaladin

Man, Hardcore TV is such a weirdly formatted show. It really was like nothing else being put out by wrestling companies. There really isn't a format. It's kind of hard to make sense of it a lot of weeks. Granted, part of that is because there are missing weeks, but it is usually because the format changes every week. Some weeks you'll have 70% of the show be promos. Some weeks you'll have 70% of the show be Joey talking about stuff. Some weeks the whole show will be clips from the last big show. Some weeks will be all angles. And the promos/angles are usually from multiple shows. It seems like it would have been very confusing for Paul to put together each week. Paul's creativity really started clicking around the end of 1993 and shit got crazier and crazier every show. I have no idea how this stuff was aired on local TV.

Like the Sherri/Madusa promo where Sherri says she fucked Greg Valentine and Madusa says the only thing Sherri carried was men's balls. And Shane spending a whole promo calling Terry Funk a piece of shit, son of a bitch, and using fuck over and over. Or Paul cutting promos about Funk's daughter being nick named "Canyon" and why Terry's kids look just like Dick Murdoch.

For instance, right now I'm watching a PE vs Mikey/other jobber match that is shown on a tiny monitor in the back ground while Joey and Matty In The House talk about the next Saturday show. There are no rules. Not even talking about the in ring stuff. There are no production rules. Anything goes. Multiple takes where there were multiple takes or the camera was left running and guys kind of sort of broke character. Or talking to the production truck and talked about specifics of the format. It really is SO far out of the norm for what was going on in WCW/WWF. It's fascinating even when the shows really aren't good.

It was a late night show wasn't it? At least I remember it being one in college when I saw most of my ECW stuff in the last few years of it's existence. I think cable companies gave less of a fuck after midnight when most people were watching late shows and only the die hards tuned in.

New updates:

Vault
Ecw Hardcore Tv
#64 - 1994/07/05
Legends Of Wrestling
WrestleMania - 2008/03/01
Rivalries - 2011/03/01

Search Only
RAW
Episode 29 - 1993/08/09
Smackdown
Episode 155 - 2002/08/08
In Ring
Uncategorized
Pre-Show to Raw #1087 - 2014/03/24
Raw Backstage Pass
Backstage Pass to Raw #1087 - 2014/03/24

edge-wwe.gif

Felt so gritty and underground. I discovered ECW at 2:00 am on a Saturday night on the MSG network. Been hooked ever since. I remember them hyping matches like Bret Hart vs Terry Funk and I think even Mankind made an ECW appearance (Not Cactus). My mind was blown. I remember reading about ECW in those black and white wrestling magazines but had no clue that it was on TV.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Another thing that's weird but not on the Network currently, and Strobogo got me into this, was that Vince "invaded" Memphis Wrestling in the mid 90s and did a whole Mr. McMahon heel turn a year or so before he did in WWE. He was more vicious and it was hellaciously entertaining.

strobogo

Banned
Felt so gritty and underground. I discovered ECW at 2:00 am on a Saturday night on the MSG network. Been hooked ever since. I remember them hyping matches like Bret Hart vs Terry Funk and I think even Mankind made an ECW appearance (Not Cactus). My mind was blown. I remember reading about ECW in those black and white wrestling magazines but had no clue that it was on TV.

That sounds like the Terry Funk retirement show from 1997 that was documented in Beyond The Mat.

Another thing that's weird but not on the Network currently, and Strobogo got me into this, was that Vince "invaded" Memphis Wrestling in the mid 90s and did a whole Mr. McMahon heel turn a year or so before he did in WWE. He was more vicious and it was hellaciously entertaining.

Years. McMemphis was in 1993. He was doing full on Mr. McMahon (early to mid 1998, not super over the top as he'd get in 1999-on) and it was so dope.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn that was 93? I thought it was 96 for some reason. Goddamn! What an awesome litmus test.

strobogo

Banned
ilLw8woZjzdBu.gif

ibl3zMr3SQ4CxT.gif

That's right, Pat Patterson was his heavy even in 1993.

ifrNfq04yreUP.gif

ibb7cHUG7yMni1.gif

LEGIT SHOOK McMemphis Part 1

LEGIT SHOOK McMemphis Part 2

LEGIT SHOOK McMemphis Part 3

For those of you not aware (which is probably most people, really), the WWF and USWA had a working alliance in 1993. WWF guys were heels in Memphis, while King was heel on WWF TV. No mention was made of any of the events on WWF TV, except for one bizarre cross over that happened with King and Vince at a WWF taping. Vince got a wild hair in his ass and decided he really didn't like King, so he was sending his guys down to Memphis to fuck with him. And eventually, Vince himself got involved. I cover the whole saga and it can be found on Youtube as well.

BFIB

Well Stro, you just made my entertainment for the next few days.

Had no idea Vince went down to Memphis. I do remember the "crossovers" that took place with USWA, but I never knew it reached those levels.

Top Bottom