• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X Rebirth |OT| Back In The Womb With You

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think a huge inclusion for XR over previous entries is the use of subsystems. So far I think we've only seen them on Cap ships and stations but even if it's just them and not some of the smaller ships it will still be a great addition. Subsystems have always been one of my most favorite aspects of Space Sims.

There is nothing better in a game like Freespace 2 than disabling an enemy's engines and weapons and just slowly poking them like an ant whose legs you just pulled off one by one.

Why would I don't get what's it about? It's a mid-budget game with medium skilled devs. The 50 euro makes the risk only greater. Should've been 35 imho.

What? They may be a small dev but there is nothing budget about this game or the X series. You may not find the game to be worth 50, but most fans do, and if they didn't this wouldn't be the only major Space Sim franchise to survive the past decade where all others failed and died. These games provide many dozens of hours of content in a huge universe with a great degree of depth and breadth.

Perkel

Banned
Can we maybe stop with the GIFs? Its crashing the browser on my phone and using up my data cap. Yeah, its a very GIFable game, but maybe we can have a separate GIF thread for this game when it actually comes out.

Configure your gaf mobile so it will not load gifs. I have it

KKRT00

FPS engines are designed around more or less fixed terrain (which includes LOD on heightmap terrain, various culling techniques, collision logic, etc), X is a space game. So there's no terrain. There's also no fixed "up" direction. It's not a level based game either so there's no "we only need these types of enemies in this level", all object types are always in play at the same time which alters the way asset handling works. X simulates a lot of stuff that's not near any player and varies the simulation fidelity based on what the player sees. It may be possible to put all that into, say, the Cry Engine but you'd throw so many parts away and paper over so many other parts that it may not be worth doing.

Also a licensed engine might limit what mod tools you can give out since parts of your game logic may be mixed with the engine's trade secrets.

Its not really FPS engine and yeah they would have to customize database back end, but its same way with every other engine.
Customizing only database is less work than making whole engine from the ground up.

===
Configure your gaf mobile so it will not load gifs. I have it

It still shows gifs people quote though ;\

samjaza

Why would I don't get what's it about? It's a mid-budget game with medium skilled devs. The 50 euro makes the risk only greater. Should've been 35 imho.

Ive bought every X game at launch (or before) since X-Tension and never been disappointed with the purchase.
It is interesting that it seems to be going back to X - Beyond the Frontier with the X-Shuttle and not replacing but upgrading it. But we will see how that turns out.

Daedardus

What? They may be a small dev but there is nothing budget about this game or the X series. You may not find the game to be worth 50, but most fans do, and if they didn't this wouldn't be the only major Space Sim franchise to survive the past decade where all others failed and died. These games provide many dozens of hours of content in a huge universe with a great degree of depth and breadth.

Why is everyone misinterpreting me today? Mid-budget means that the budget is well, medium-sized. The X series is known for its gameplay depth yes, but also for its horribly clunky menu's, weird glitches and bugs and other small things that nible on the experience. Most people who bought X also bought it on a steam sale, and I'm not sure plunging 50 euro in the first month is a good idea. Will rather wait for bug fixes or mods.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Why is everyone misinterpreting me today? Mid-budget means that the budget is well, medium-sized. The X series is known for its gameplay depth yes, but also for its horribly clunky menu's, weird glitches and bugs and other small things that nible on the experience. Most people who bought X also bought it on a steam sale, and I'm not sure plunging 50 euro in the first month is a good idea. Will rather wait for bug fixes or mods.

I'm not sure I'm misinterpreting anything. I have no qualms with you waiting for a game to reach a price point you feel is more appropriate, that's how the market works, but I was responding your statement that it should have released at 35 and not 50, which is quite a different topic.

A game's budget shouldn't affect it's pricing, the quality of the product itself should and whether consumers feel the price is justified. In the case of the X series, enough people agree with the pricing or after 6 releases they would have gone with a lower release price. Sure many people may have bought the game on a Steam sale for a fraction of the original price, but as far as Egosoft/Deep Silver is concerned they probably make the majority of their money off the initial sales at 50 like pretty much every other game so whether or not 20% or 50% of people buy the game when its 5-15 doesn't matter as much to them.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
here we go again, lol.

I have to say I do wish they would show at least some form of the customization that can be done to the Albion Skunk. Drones look cool, issuing orders to cap ships sounds cool, but couldn't we get just a little peek as to how we can alter the Skunk?

Will we just be upgrading the ship with permanent upgrades in a linear progression or will will there be branching paths for trading, fighting and so on? Will these upgrades change not just the abilities but the look of the ship? Will it be permanent or will the systems be interchangeable allowing us to use parts and equipment to make our ship look and act in one way and then remove and replace them with others so it looks and acts in another way?

I hope they've gone with a system of permanent upgrades and expansions along with a detailed system of interchangeable and customizeable expansions that allow us to kit out our ship to the ways we like it. Different engines, more or less hardpoints, extentions that alter the exterior based on whether they improve maneuverability or speed or shields or hull. Having one ship should mean being able to make that ship be almost anything you want it to.

Bloody game isn't available in my region on GMG. Does anyone have a workaround, or would be willing to purchase for me if I hook them up via paypal?

TheTrain

Best price for Pre Order? If there isn't nothing, i'll go for Steam for the first time in my life lol
Can't wait, subscribed!

Big-E

I'm just praying to the God of Gaming that streamlined does not mean press x to win.

I don't want that, I just felt that X3 goals weren't so clearly defined. With a baby, my gaming time is pretty much nullified and can't play online as I can't just play a game where I can't pause and go do something.

gotee12

Best price for Pre Order? If there isn't nothing, i'll go for Steam for the first time in my life lol
Can't wait, subscribed!
$40 is the best I've found. That's through green man gaming with a 20% off coupon from page 2 of this thread. Though they won't release your steam key until the 15th so no preloading.

I'm not sure. I don't think STEAM codes are region locked, and that's usually what you would get from GMG right?

And nothing that a VPN can't sort out, either. All we need is procurement for this fellow.

A koala stamp and gold star sticker for the courageous bloke who helps out.

Daedardus

A game's budget shouldn't affect it's pricing, the quality of the product itself should and whether consumers feel the price is justified. In the case of the X series, enough people agree with the pricing or after 6 releases they would have gone with a lower release price. Sure many people may have bought the game on a Steam sale for a fraction of the original price, but as far as Egosoft/Deep Silver is concerned they probably make the majority of their money off the initial sales at 50 like pretty much every other game so whether or not 20% or 50% of people buy the game when its 5-15 doesn't matter as much to them.

Although I agree a game's quality should be affected in the game's price (positively or negatively), as I publisher I'd rather sell break even (more or less) with more copies sold than break even with fewer copies sold. The 50 euro clearly seems targeted towards the hardcore, but if the goal was to ease the bar of entry and expand the audience, they should have gone with a less riskier price. More 'casual' people may jump in while the hype is still strong. Kind of Sins of a solar empire revitalising a dead genre and eventually becoming a brand name for the RT4X genre.

Perkel

Banned
Damn, it is to bad that they don't release a benchmark or demo... need to know if my rig can handle it.

What do you have ?

I have :
CPU: Q9300@3Ghz
GPU: HD6870

Official game req:

Minimum:
OS: Windows 8 (64 bit), Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit), Vista SP2 (64-bit), XP SP2 (64-bit)
Processor: Intel i-Serie with 2GHz or equivalent AMD Product
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GT400 Serie with 512MB RAM, ATI 4870HD with 512MB RAM
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 8 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c-compatible soundcard

Recommended:
Processor: Intel i5 (Quad) / i7 with 2.5GHz or equivalent AMD product
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GT500 Serie with 1GB RAM or more, ATI 5870HD with 1GB RAM or more
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 12 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c-compatible soundcard

I wonder how my 4 core CPU will deal with this game.

Shaldome

The entire OST is up on Youtube for space dreamers to stream.

First thing I am going to do, when my package arrives is to rip those songs for listening during my commute to work.

And for the guys and gals in the US who like the phyical stuff, Egosoft wrote in their newsletter today that they will sell the limited edittion box at their american publisher here.

I am anxious to find out how slow the start is in X Rebirth. I actually didn't found it to bad until yo could buy you're next big ship or plant in X3. Kept me playing for that next shiny toy.

fanboi

Banned
What do you have ?

I have :
CPU: Q9300@3Ghz
GPU: HD6870

I wonder how my 4 core CPU will deal with this game.

Official game req:

Minimum:

Recommended:

I have:

CPU: i5 760 2.6 ghz
GPU: GTX570 Sapphire
RAM: 4 GB (DDR3)

Saw your edit... I wonder how my RAM will work.

Perkel

Banned
I have:

CPU: i5 760 2.6 ghz
GPU: GTX570 Sapphire
RAM: 4 GB (DDR3)

Saw your edit... I wonder how my RAM will work.

same here only 4GB DDR.... 2 ..800

Its time to upgrade my PC... mobo+cpu+memory

I will probably go with FX8350 its cheap as hell compared to even i5, maybe if i will have cash R290 without X.

Perkel

Banned
If you could make use of the multithreading though. There's a reason why Intel cpu's are so expensive.

i know by for older games from current gen you don't really need that much single CPU performance where most of new games now will have proper multi-thread support.

Games like BF, X:Rebirth and more are just strart. With consoles using now low performance 8 cores people will do more work on multithread code instead of focusing on single core performance.

Daedardus

i know by for older games from current gen you don't really need that much single CPU performance where most of new games now will have proper multi-thread support.

Games like BF, X:Rebirth and more are just strart. With consoles using now low performance 8 cores people will do more work on multithread code instead of focusing on single core performance.

But does X:Rebirth uses all eight cores? Four-threaded multithreading is becoming more and more frequent yes, but games don't make much use of parallel computing power. Eight-core multithreading is just one hell of a timing mess. If you can't use all eight cores efficiently you're essentialy buying a weak four core cpu.

Perkel

Banned
But does X:Rebirth uses all eight cores? Four-threaded multithreading is becoming more and more frequent yes, but games don't make much use of parallel computing power. Eight-core multithreading is just one hell of a timing mess. If you can't use all eight cores efficiently you're essentialy buying a weak four core cpu.

from egosoft

CPU performance

One of the biggest steps in developing an entire new engine was to design a true multithread-capable engine. X Rebirth will make full use of latest generation CPUs by spreading the work in many parallel running threads.

This essentially means 8 cores or even more

Top Bottom