• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X Rebirth |OT| Back In The Womb With You

I saw this on steam: yesterday they opened 1.18 to beta testing
Public Beta testing of X Rebirth updates and patches

In order to test updates and patches for X Rebirth more thoroughly, we have decided to open up our Beta testing to anyone who wants to get involved. If you would like to help us test our forthcoming patches (and don't mind backing up your savegames in case things don't go according to plan!) then please head over to our new X Rebirth - Patch Public Beta forum, where you will find details on how to join the Beta program and report any problems you find.

In the short term, until the Christmas break, we plan to operate a roughly weekly patch cycle, with patches being made available for public Beta testing towards the end of the week, and the full release following early the next week if all goes well. As we move away from urgent bug-fixing and on to improving performance, fixing gameplay issues and adding new features, the length of this cycle will of course increase, with more time being allowed between the Beta and full release.
source

campaign spoiler:
Doing the hijack the Taranis mission, I flew the Skunk into the ship - inside of it, accidental bug. I was able to destroy all the turrets and anything that would take damage so the boarding party could take the ship. I think I destroyed too much; or, it bugged my save file because when I get to the deliver 300 food units, the Taranis spawns next to a PMC station in Wrecksville without propulsion. It spawns right in front of the station's plamsa turret, can't move, and just gets destroyed. The other ship (liquid cargo) won't rendez-vous in DeVries - runs out of jump fuel and I've had trouble getting it to buy fuel first; it seems like the command is registered but the ship still will disappear from my property owned list. I think there is a fix editing the file but I'll probably just restart sometime next year.

I like the game, looking past its faults. Staring those faults in the face, I have nothing nice to say.

I think that I have Stockholm syndrome and will purchase the X:superbox.

Man I hope this game gets cleaned up, but as is I'm going to have to take a break.

I feel like the only thing this game did was ruin X3 for me. I actually enjoy the controls, moving around the ship (if not stations), having a crew, etc., but everything else is just such a huge let-down.

I hit pretty much every single game breaking bug that has come up so far. Now I can't progress with the URV because apparently it doesn't like having the wares managed by the AI and progress is stalled. I think I'm done for now...

Jinroh

Just wait a few weeks. By the end of the month it should be somewhat playable.

And someone really need to make a new model/skin for Yisha. She looks attrocious.

Haunted

Man, what happened. :(

So much promise.

If they knew it wasn't done, they probably should've slapped early access on this mother to temper expectations, then bring it up to release build standard during the following months.

This gambit won't work out, games simply do not recover from bad word of mouth like this.

KKRT00

If they knew it wasn't done, they probably should've slapped early access on this mother to temper expectations, then bring it up to release build standard during the following months.

Its not self-published, its published by Deep Silver and they probably forced them to release it already.

This game makes me sad
they should've left out the stupid npc models and station interiors and put their time and limited budget into polishing the game

No pity for a smaller more indie developer if they don't know how to budget their time

This game makes me sad
they should've left out the stupid npc models and station interiors and put their time and limited budget into polishing the game

No pity for a smaller more indie developer if they don't know how to budget their time
Its potential being sandbagged with bugs and odd design choices was disappointing: the smalltalk minigame seems like something that was either slapped on or given a rough pass without any polish, the variation shows how little effort went into this aspect of the game. Talk about subjects including; spacehighways, AI, Plutarch using Xenon Tech, and holodancers, did I miss one? That's only four different conversation threads. You can have the same dialogue pop-up with npc on opposite bunks in the station barracks. Its kind of insulting to not admit this breaking immersion, or that it can get boring. I've held off on the "Never Enter Stations Again" mod, wanting to finish the campaign first. I'm hoping to get the last materials to finish the URV Forge today or tomorrow.

Seven years, a lot can happen in seven years. Did Egosoft maintain the same team throughout development? When did Deep Silver come on board, from the beginning? Its my understanding that there are around 20 people that work at Egosoft, is this right and did they hire-out help or code everything in-house? I heard their pre-release tests were small and very limited. The release was kind of fucked up for what the product was billed to be, but I knew what I was getting when I bought it and have come to enjoy the game.

Accepting that X Rebirth is a triple-A game, for the sake of comparing how much work was done and if it was squandered, how many lines of code went into the game? It seems big from my end but that's just playing it and editing a save file here and there. If it took seven years with 20 people, and is X million lines of code, then how does that compare to a larger studio making a AAA-game with N-years, P-people developing it, and Y-million lines of code? Would that be telling at all? I know this wouldn't be an absolute test but it could be an indicator of Egosoft's work-unit, relative to the industry (or another studio). Could just be me trying to rationalize their ability to include space narcotics and psychedelic mushrooms in the game.
spacemushroomsabims.png

Its a little funky and I would have traded the station interiors for a more polished game too. If one can put up with the learning curve of the mechanics - half the "bugs"' I thought that I was encountering were due to my lack of knowing what-did-what, or what was needed for this or that. The game does not explain itself completely and explicitly, and that can easily be a drawback for many. I'm not certain that Egosoft wasted the seven years spent on this game; maybe I've stared too hard at it but I see a great game (ignoring the flaws). I'm not arguing against any of the scores the game has gotten, I'm not completely blind and a little sad with the overall reception of the bugged/broken release.

Daedardus

Not a good year for PC strategy and space games, huh.

At least we have Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous to look forward too.

But seriously, I cannot understand the fuckup Egosoft made. Who seriously believes that they can still deliver X4? They let down all of their hardcore fans, and those are the only ones they had anyway. By the time they fixed X: Rebirth, we'll be all flying around in our 300i's or Constellations, never looking back to the game this was.

Perkel

Banned
How are the new patches and mods?

Is the game anywhere near playable and enjoyable?

Currently game is in 1.20

- Trading is mostly fixed (compared to 1.0)
- Ton of crash fixes

There are other fixes but still economy of game is broken with stations starving in materials to receive. What is most imo fucking annoying is that "living world" is a hoax. Produced ships vanishr after they leave shipyards (where they should go and get into economy). THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO SMALL SHIPS TO BUY OR PRODUCE. You either can buy capital ships or smaller traders. You can't for example build a fleet of m3 and create space battle that looks like one.

But

There are now mods in early state to control your fleet and some other nice mods.

Recomendation: Wait until 2.0

I hope by 2.0 you will be able at least to buy small ships/fighters.

If X3 is anything to go by, it will take two expansion packs + extensive modding for it to be best space game status. So yeah, we'll be waiting for a while.

TJUK

Neo Member
What is the status on this game?

Has it in any way been fixed to playable status?

Elite: Dangerous which is tentatively scheduled for release in March 2014 looks to be a better bet if you're after an open-world open-ended space combat/trading/exploration type game.

Perkel

Banned
What is the status on this game?

Has it in any way been fixed to playable status?

As of 1.22

Still it is WIP. Most of crashes were nailed and performance is actually better (a little) now. Trading works with minor bugs, no small ships shipyard, no fleetcontrol nor naming ships, economy seems to be broken after few hours in game.

By 1.3 they should nail down completely trading and economy. They should also provide better performance (it is WIP area currently and their #1 priority)

As of mods:

- There are some good mods out there but still modding is in early stage.

IMO biggest problem currently is that game doesn't have any command mode for your fleets and we don't have option to even rename ships. Currently you can't buy or create small ships like fighters so you may for now forget about grand space battles.

Dennis

Banned
As of 1.22

Still it is WIP. Most of crashes were nailed and performance is actually better (a little) now. Trading works with minor bugs, no small ships shipyard, no fleetcontrol nor naming ships, economy seems to be broken after few hours in game.

By 1.3 they should nail down completely trading and economy. They should also provide better performance (it is WIP area currently and their #1 priority)

As of mods:

- There are some good mods out there but still modding is in early stage.

IMO biggest problem currently is that game doesn't have any command mode for your fleets and we don't have option to even rename ships. Currently you can't buy or create small ships like fighters so you may for now forget about grand space battles.

OK thanks. I bought the game at launch but it looks like it needs to bake a little longer.

Perkel

Banned
OK thanks. I bought the game at launch but it looks like it needs to bake a little longer.

yep. imo first good bigger mods are around corner.

For example some modders managed to switch on small ships shipyard but it only for now produces one small ship type.

Small ship shipyard is best case of developers releasing wip game. Small shipyards are in game actually but they are completely switched off.

Perkel

Banned
First auto trader mod is up to download. With Levels and much wow.

Level 1 trader is sector trader
Level 2 is cluster trader
Level 3 is galaxy trader

With this we have barebones X3. Just few more mods and small ship construction and we will have proper X gameplay.

Daedardus

Did the latest patch fix anything substantial?

And with Perkel banned for I-dont-know-how-long, it seems that this game is deader than dead.

Did the latest patch fix anything substantial?

And with Perkel banned for I-dont-know-how-long, it seems that this game is deader than dead.
Deader than dead is hyperbolic or premature. The core community seems involved in beta testing the patches (or shelved the game for the time being) and I'm not sure if that population is steady or dwindling. 1.25+ will be released in March, its one-patch-per-month unless Egosoft changed this timeline.

The last patch notes
show fixes but I don't know how universally substantial this is for all players. Its not dead but there is a queue of bitter gamers waiting to dance on its grave. I started new save over the weekend (upgraded processor) and the game is much smoother. The only bug I have experienced was a trader's icon wouldn't display the buy/sell options but I just went to crew and then back to the cockpit and then icon displayed the options correctly. Everything else has been smooth but I'm only 10-15hrs into this plot-save. The framerate isn't terrible but its not superb pn my machine. It is markedly improved and the only studder I have noticed is on spacehighway passing through heavily populated sector.

Dolor

Deader than dead is hyperbolic or premature. The core community seems involved in beta testing the patches (or shelved the game for the time being) and I'm not sure if that population is steady or dwindling. 1.25+ will be released in March, its one-patch-per-month unless Egosoft changed this timeline.

The last patch notes
show fixes but I don't know how universally substantial this is for all players. Its not dead but there is a queue of bitter gamers waiting to dance on its grave. I started new save over the weekend (upgraded processor) and the game is much smoother. The only bug I have experienced was a trader's icon wouldn't display the buy/sell options but I just went to crew and then back to the cockpit and then icon displayed the options correctly. Everything else has been smooth but I'm only 10-15hrs into this plot-save. The framerate isn't terrible but its not superb pn my machine. It is markedly improved and the only studder I have noticed is on spacehighway passing through heavily populated sector.

Is there a synopsis somewhere of all the things that have been fixed so far? Any mod recommendations to look for?

I was wildly disappointed with the game at launch, but I am at least open to the idea that the game could be a lot better with patches and mods.

Daedardus

The last patch notes

Was more talking about the game on GAF, but anyway. Did they also improve some gameplay specific tidbits? I saw people complaining about the bland gameplay more than about the technical issues.

Was more talking about the game on GAF, but anyway. Did they also improve some gameplay specific tidbits? I saw people complaining about the bland gameplay more than about the technical issues.

I think its a slow-paced and visually beautiful game (outside stations). Its bland insofar as there doesn't seem to be as expansive a dynamic environment that was hinted at pre-release.

You fly around and either collect stuff for credits that you use to buy stuff or you capture ships that you can sell or keep. I haven't gotten an array of stations producing, getting that chain-of-production running from raw materials to final product. It seems that is when the game begins and the tutorial ends, when you get the economy repaired in DeVries.

Not all fightsticks are supported and for a pc flight sim that is kind of shameful. I don't mind playing with a gamepad but that turns off some gamers, kb/m are given the same gampad-interferface.

I think bland is fair and reflected in the reviews. I like it for its relaxed play. Its not my favorite game ever but the only other space sims I really play are; Sins of a Solar Empire, FTL, and Warhammer: Dawn of War II/Chaos Rising (if that one counts). X:Rebirth fills a gap in that set of games that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Trading was broke when X:Rebirth came out, and I haven't seen any ships lined up in my new save but the problems with trading might take some time to manifest in-game (20+hours) before they reveal themselves, if they are present.

Nothing has jazzed up this game into a sleek space-sim where you can do whatever you want, its obviously never going to be that open of a sandbox. Maybe I'm just okay with a little bland gameplay every now-and-then.

Daedardus

Will have to ask again: how's the new patch?

Is there still any hope that this game will be good before the end of the year? It doesn't seem like SC modules will release on time and I have a very big craving for space sims.

SmartBase

Is there still any hope that this game will be good before the end of the year? It doesn't seem like SC modules will release on time and I have a very big craving for space sims.

I'd like to know as well but from browsing the forums it still looks stillborn though I'd expect some pretty good mods to be out by the end of the year.

Elite Dangerous might be an alternative if they manage to get that out some time, or maybe even Limit Theory.

1.30 was recently released, http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=347278

There was the hotfix for 1.25 early last month but nothing since.

1.30 is significant. The major item not yet addressed is fleet commands, but this is additional content and secondary covering the stability of the game. I have a save from 1.22 that is post-plot and stations in Albion and DeVries. I need to; finish the new maintence plots (assigning crew to construction vessels, ships, and stations - I pulled crew to man a couple ships from zone missions and there wasn't and engineer or defense officer left to hire [pre-1.30, not sure how/if NPC population changed]), check if any captains are incompetent -swap them out if so, and then let the game just run to see if the stations can generate any money. It seemed like there were still issues with the station trading or economy pre-1.30.

The joystick support is huge, I picked up a Logitech Extreme Pro 3D (was going for a Thrustmaster 16000M but the logitech was on sale). The game recognized the stick. After mapping the buttons in-game, its smooth flying. Performance seems better but I took a break from the game after the hotfix last month. I like it and would recommend it just if you want to fly around and shoot stuff (there is much more to do). The cockpit can be toggled on and off now. There's support for mods in the steam workshop. I find it playable now but am not completely up to date on the state of the game. This patch is great, in my opinion.

Its a full priced game, I see it at $50 on Steam. edit: and I can understand someone saying no thank you.

Daedardus

I just bought some new shoes and clothes, this game will have to wait. The new patch looks promising, but I hope they patched fun in the game, as that was something a lot of people complained about.

I also believe it wouldn't be a bad idea to drop the price slightly. A sweet spot for me right now would be around €35. €50 is just too much for a half broken game.

TheTrain

Breaking news! Huge 2.0 Patch in Beta:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=355582

Update 2.00 RC5 (183266)

• New Feature: Three new gamestarts, each with a new cockpit configuration.
• New Feature: Rebalanced combat with three difficulty settings.
• New Feature: Additional commands for your ships.
• New Feature: Autopilot can fly your ship while you are busy.
• New Feature: All new highway flight model.
• New Feature: Most tasks can now be performed without landing on stations.
• New Feature: Full screen HUD detail monitor option.
• New Feature: Clicks on event monitor now open relevant menus.
• New Feature: Map/radar on event monitor.
• New Feature: New ships in Omicron Lyrae.
• New Feature: Huge new Xenon ship.
• New Feature: Four new missile types.
• New Feature: Improved graphics for an even more beautiful universe.
• New Feature: New graphics options and presets.
• New Feature: New start menu scene.
• New Feature: New Steam achievements.
• Added support for up to 8 input devices (now even your pet octopus can get the most from the game).
• Added option to buy replacement player ship cockpit layout from certain traders.
• Added shield damage for collisions.
• Improved responsiveness of main menu and dialogs.
• Improved event monitor with more space for important information.
• Improved positioning of interface elements in first person mode.
• Fixed gamepad mode switching on when axis has non-zero value while at rest.
• Fixed problem with wrecked state of ship/station surface elements not always being loaded from savegames correctly.
• Fixed collectable objects not showing a target element.
• Fixed gates not showing a target element.
• Fixed info points not being displayed at drone launch pads.
• Fixed cases where clicking on larger targets didn't work.
• Fixed rare instance of mission objective bar being stuck on screen.
• Fixed text field not being reset when closing and reopening trade menu.
• Fixed problems with overlapping/truncated text on first person event monitor.
• Fixed cases resulting in jumping target elements.
• Fixed incorrect text in certain conversations.
• Fixed icon size in licence encyclopedia entry.
• Fixed distance sorting in trade menu.
• Fixed capital ships becoming invisible when boosting while player is close.
• Fixed several other causes of occasional crashes.
• Various optimisations resulting in small performance improvements.

Known issue:

• When loading a savegame where the autopilot was active, steering and crosshair may be inactive when autopilot is disengaged (workaround: open and close a menu such as the map).
• Transport drones sometimes take time to reach target (workaround: just wait).
• Autopilot flight over surface of large objects can be erratic (workaround: disable autopilot).
• Autopilot flight while in the flight influence area of large ships can be jumpy (workaround: disable autopilot).
• Autopilot following jumping ship can take you to strange places (workaround: disable autopilot).
• Autopilot following ship into highway doesn't work until ship leaves highway (workaround: disable autopilot or wait).
• Using Alt-Tab during fullscreen video playback will cause video/sound to get out of sync (workaround: press Esc to skip video).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Well that's something, Egosoft has always been great with post launch support, can't say I like the last bit though:

"Various optimisations resulting in small performance improvements."

Games still runs like shit and so when they say small performance improvements that leads me to expect little to no performance improvements.

did they ever add the option to scale UI? couldn't read shit at launch at 1440p.

Not yet, but there are three different cockpits for the Skunk; the displays are rearranged and re-sized but the main 1-6 option menu is still the small: []0[].

Unless, I just haven't seen: Full screen HUD detail monitor option
and that does change the size of that menu.

Navigating the commands have shortcuts clicking the main cockpit display, bringing up the associated menu for what you target. Still its the list from there, tabs: general(info), crew, storage, & units for ships and stations.

I like autopilot addition and the radar looks more helpful. I appreciate the non-dock station buy/sell option. Rougey has a video on his site about this patch, he does't get into the new combat much. He also posted about leaving DevNet and maybe wrapping up his coverage of this game soon. A point he made is that the game is in a claimed 2.0 state, he feels its more of a 1.5, and that its final version will be very similar to what we have now. Major changes in trading, lack of new plot, and a menu redesign were his main issues.

If my save (1.22) isn't compatible, it should be, with the new patch I'm going to be pissed. I nearly have DeVries's economy functioning, or with the illusion of functioning, but have a production backup or something that caused a 60hour build time for a few drones, and also have to micromanage surpluses and shortages. Letting the my game run just creates a bunch of errands to track down. If you can build an self-sufficient trading empire, it takes an optimized production line, a certain set of ships for the station, and a competent staff assigned to that station. I'm not 100% that my trades are going on unless the station manager gets pinged hailing them or entering the sector.

I had an Arawn in Wrecksville to just destroy PMC ships by the jumpbeacon but when I left the zone it was the only ship on the map and the zones seem effectively asleep if you are not interacting with them.

I had this game preordered, but a combination of the poor reviews, the impressions here, and my own concerns pre-launch meant I only put about 20 minutes into the game before shelving it.

But I never uninstalled it and last week I fired it up to give it an honest chance. And man, the game is still a bummer (v. 1.31).

1. Performance is still pretty bad. An OC'd i7 3770 with a R9 290X can't max the game out at 1440p with no AA without frequently dropping to sub 30 FPS ( and to the guy above, the UI is still unreadable at times at that resolution).

2. Cap ships are a joke. I destroyed my first cap ship by flying into the docking bay on the front (which was kinda cool at first) where the drones couldn't get to me then just chipped away at it with the default gun. The next two cap ships had no drones, only turrets and I managed to just scoot around the ship picking off all the turrets and engines before boarding and claiming the ships for my own.

3. Now that I have cap ships I don't know what to do with them. The trading interface is a mess and the number of commands is almost nonexistent.

4. The UI is a mess. I shouldn't have to stop everything I'm doing to pull up ship info or check a map.

Assuming my save is compatible I'll give 2.0 a shot. Some of those things are sorely needed like autopilot and additional ship commands, but the game in general has lost so much depth from X3 that I don't think its salvageable. Too much mechanically wrong to ever reach X3 levels.

My saves are good with 2.0! even with the beauty in the early stages of other games inthis genre, I'm reccomending this game, not over anything else but to try.

and:

Midweek Madness - X Rebirth, 50% Off
Announcement - Valve 12:00
Save 50% on X Rebirth during this week's Midweek Madness*!

X Rebirth 2.0 - Secret Service Missions update is Now Available. After considerable effort and with an eye to all the great feedback they received, X Rebirth 2.0 represents a major update for a wide variety of gameplay mechanics.

X Rebirth represents a spectacular new beginning for the X series, offering loyal fans and newcomers alike a vast, vivid and extremely detailed universe to explore throughout the game. Varied gameplay elements such as action-packed space combat, detailed trading mechanics and high-speed space exploration with fast travel allow players to experience a truly unique space saga that will keep them hooked for dozens of hours. X Rebirth features a whole new user experience - it is easier than ever to start with, and remains as deep as fans expect it.

*Offer ends Friday at 10AM Pacific Time

Top Bottom