• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X Rebirth |OT| Back In The Womb With You

KDR_11k

Darias: Just keep them on the freighter. When you go to the target station you deal with a similar trade dock.

Far as I can tell there's no way for the Skunk to interact with the trade docks directly. I need to get a lot of money for a freighter though, even the cheapest are around 4.5MCr and then I probably need some shields and stuff so they don't get blown up. Reading the manual reminded me that mining is probably fairly viable even in the early game (you needed some hefty gear in XBTF which was the only X game I played to the station stage so far) so I'll try that. Trading with the small amounts that NPCs hold seems too small scale.

my problem is i'm broke

That's when you need to go locker raiding on the space stations. Also look for vents, if you crawl into those they contain purses with ~10k credits or smuggling goods that fetch a few k as well.

Darias

Ok - so I think the freighter is en route to sell the items its supposed to - it's on the sector map, but I can't find it flying around in space. very odd.

Christ, how do I repair a ship I own? I managed to get an enemy to eject, leaving his fighter derelict. There was an option to claim it, finally figured out I needed a hired pilot to fly it. So I go hire a pilot and he takes a little shuttle over and now I have a fighter (seems like a good idea to always have an extra pilot on hand for situations like this), but it's damaged and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it repaired.

I swear this stuff was easier to figure out in the other, supposedly less accessible games.

That's when you need to go locker raiding on the space stations. Also look for vents, if you crawl into those they contain purses with ~10k credits or smuggling goods that fetch a few k as well.

i do do that... but i'm not entirely sure where the locker shit goes. do i have an inventory?

Dolor

looks like 1.13 patch fixed for good traders . I tested it and it doesn't seem to queue forever like it used to.

I can imagine a situation where if trading commands became intuitive, it could be really satisfying to queue up a bunch of trades for your big freighters, and go do something else and just hear occasionally that your freighters are completing tasks...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well at least this games botched release has convinced me to finally sit down and try and learn how to play X3. I'm following along with that youtube noob guide posted earlier in the thread and it's going well.

Hellers

I'll give credit for one thing. It's a very nice soundtrack.

Also in my "While I wait for bug fixes" playthrough of TC I'm up to three freighters

Perkel

Banned
I'm learning new things today!

Somebody on the steam forums helpfully pointed out that the XML saves may be due to the engine being designed for XNA, and afaik Ego have never used XML for saves before (and considering the scale of the X games, is insane, can you imagine a TC save as XML?)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/2870/discussions/0/648811852508658675/#c648811852585042871

If you look at files in main directory everything is looking like X3. Difference here is mainly renderer. Even language they are using is more or less the same (thanks to this modders already did few mods).

Even if this was at some point console game i don't see what this has really to do with its release. There are good foundations. It just need some more work on it from design perspective like UI and navigation. All important stuff like stations, ships etc is there and it is usually more complex than even X3. For example Capital ships now have different parts which you can target.

I can't wait to see how game will play after a year where they will rework ton of stuff because of feedback and how mod community will work on this.

KDR_11k

A shield drone is handy for travel, boost until your shields are empty, deploy drone, boost again. I have no idea what, if anything, would cause you to lose a shield drone, it appears to be reusable and there's no indicator of any limitation like durability. I guess using it in combat might lose you that drone and I have no idea if it's possible to lose it by e.g. flying away before it can dock (I haven't seen it at all, no idea where it flies) but even then it's a fairly cheap thing to buy.

Free Play doesn't even start you with the mining laser... I bought me one but the campaign said I'd need mining drones too and I can't find those anywhere.

Confidence Man: Mechanics offer to repair your ship AFAIK. Since I don't have minions at hand I don't know if it's only the Skunk or all your ships but if it's the former you need to find a shipyard, the ship vendor also repairs and refits your minion ships.

i do do that... but i'm not entirely sure where the locker shit goes. do i have an inventory?

Enter 2-1, click DE(tails) next to Inventory. That lists all the junk you have. Useful for figuring out when you have contraband because you may have picked it up along with other junk.

Confidence Man: Mechanics offer to repair your ship AFAIK. Since I don't have minions at hand I don't know if it's only the Skunk or all your ships but if it's the former you need to find a shipyard, the ship vendor also repairs and refits your minion ships.

Mechanics will only repair your ship. I found a shipyard with a ship dealer, but my claimed ship didn't show up in the list to repair.

Even if that did work, am I supposed to trudge to a shipyard every time one of my ships gets damaged (I don't think they're in every sector)? That's insane when they can repair mine just about anywhere. There should be a repair drone or something. This game is so fucked.

Hellers

There's a NPC you can hire for your big ships who do repairs aren't there? You tell them to go and work on that ship like the captains and defense officers,

Karak

Our Review- Prepatched which is sad but we had to move on.
Long story short just not ready for primetime and though I can't recommend it I would be lying if I didn't enjoy some of it. But the parts I enjoyed were no where near the frustration level. Hope the patch brings out some better bits.

Quantum

I'm at 19 hours played.

I'm really enjoying this game.

Its got a ton of glitches and errors - just like the launch of every single X game I've played.

The graphics and music are amazing - I upgraded my scanner and randomly ping and find cargo containers everywhere to loot.

it totally needs more work and I would understand why people are angry - it totally feels rushed but damn I'm having fun.

I completely hate the plutarch mining corporation.

Perkel

Banned
Damn people egosoft games modders are #1 modders out there:

Community Mods

[Now shut up, Yisha!] - Removes the "Shut up, Betty" comment from Yisha - [Author: Ioae, Nifter]
[Silence Police Sirens] - Replaces Siren sound with dummy empty sound - [Author: Nebogloee]
[Increase fov inside of cockpit] - Increases field of view inside of cockpit. - [Author: Cratz]
[Activate Debug Mode] - Allows access to debug menu. - [Author: r4m0n]
[Highway Sound Subtlety] - Highway sound replaced by a more subtle one. - [Author - Isbeorn]
[New Cursor] - Changes the Cursor - [Author - idzerono]
[Don't show me your wares, please.] - Removes the sounds associated with buying wares, upgrades, etc. - [Author - Sinestus]
[Colored Highway Tube v 1.0] - Changes highway tube colors to four different colours - [Author - Zeron-mk7]
[Weapon Projectile Speed Increase] - Increases player/non player weapon projectile speed by 50% - [Author - Azalrion]
[No 'Press .... to deactivate steering mode.' notification] - Changes text entry to empty to remove notification. - [Author - Mad_Joker]
[NESA - Never Enter Stations Again] - Allows remote contact to NPC's on station - [Author - Mad_Joker]
[Realspace Star Backgrounds] - Replaces launch backgrounds with higher quality backgrounds. -[Author - Realspace][Updated!]
[Remove Boarding Cutscenes] - Removes boarding/unboarding cutscenes from the game. - [Author - koronus]
[Remove Detailmonitor Animation] - Removes the animation that comes with opening and closing the detail monitor. - [Author - koronus]
[Better Cockpit] - Removes various parts of the cockpit for a more open field of vision - [Author - OlDav54]
[Run!] - Enhanced movement when landed on stations - [Author - Gazz]
[Tasteful Yisha Armor] - Patches up Yisha breasts. - [Author - jacog][New!]
[Desexualized Clubs] - Removes holo dancers and some other textures - [Author - jacog][New!]
[Buy fuel cells via trade menu] - Just like the title says. Smile - [Author - UniTrader][New!]
[No Zone Highways] - Removes zone highways (not superhighways) - [Author - Realspace][New!]
[Manual Command Extension] - Extends commands to owned ships - [Author - Jack08][New!]
[Better Highways Alpha] - Increases transparency on highways - [Author - nebogloee][New!]
[Realistic Highways] - Removes various parts of the highway system to make things more realistic - [Author - Nifter][New!]

Already there is FOV change mod and people are working on trading part of game O.O

Perkel

Banned
I laughed :)

Her cleavage is sooooo out of place. I honestly cringed.

edit:

[MOD] Realistic Highways is already removing minigame and gake traffic from highways. Mod creator works now on increasing highway speed.

That is all after just 5 days. In a month i think most of problems will be fixed via community and may or may not devs will remake UI. that mod removing annoying animation is already amazing .

now to fix the framerate and ill probably jump back. heck a solid 30fps is enough for me for this type of game.

And no one has tested walking around a station with a controller huh. the right stick sensativity is just wack. feels like its on ice.

Perkel

Banned
now to fix the framerate and ill probably jump back. heck a solid 30fps is enough for me for this type of game.

And no one has tested walking around a station with a controller huh. the right stick sensativity is just wack. feels like its on ice.

That is due to low FPS. You can see it when you will go back to crew room in your ship in space and then FPP view is fantastic.

As of low FPS good CPU with single core performance helps, still game need some work to do with view distance slider which apperently only works for few models like asteroids but not on stations parts.

Also it looks like Occlusion Culling doesn't work (we can see that in stations)

Perkel

Banned
So I hear this game is a mess. Is it really that bad? I was really hoping to buy this :(

If you are looking for X4 after playing X3. Don't
If you are looking for Streamlined X where you can trade some stuff and upgrade ship buy it.

Currently game is a mess but game will change in near future either because Ego will do it or modders.

btw:

Patch 1.14 - 2013-11-19

• Fixed crash when starting game caused by attached joystick.
• Fixed several causes of crashes in-game.
• Fixed boarding failure feedback.
• Fixed problem with gate not activating.
• Fixed UI issues with buttons being active where they shouldn't.
• Fixed ware categories not being expanded in trade offers.
• Fixed problem with secondary weapon panel not being visible sometimes.
• Fixed problem with player engineers on board capital ships and stations.
• Fixed issues with ship traders not accepting orders.

Looks like they are hardworking. Every day is a patch day.

Also people should get that mod with removing detail display animation. It is waaay better than through that anim

If you are looking for Streamlined X where you can trade some stuff and upgrade ship buy it.

Currently game is a mess but game will change in near future either because Ego will do it or modders.

btw:

Looks like they are hardworking. Every day is a patch day.

Also people should get that mod with removing detail display animation. It is waaay better than through that anim
Agreed.

Hats off to modders too, amazing how quickly those projects come together.

It is playable with restrictions and patience for me. Entering Watergate real choppy and I've taken to saving once I arrive and exit-reload game. It seems to help in areas that are dense with ships moving about, partly on my older processor too.

I like it.

Hellers

Well played to the modders there. I'm playing TC at the moment (Just spent 20 million on a big ship for no reason at all apart from it looked cool :) ) but I'm looking forward to when I can move forward into Rebirth.

Some of these early mods are simply awesome. If this is what we get after a week, then we'll be sitting pretty with Egosoft getting the game itself up to speed.

Love that cropped cockpit mod. It feels so good to burn around busy spaceports and enjoy the cockpit canopy view.

Perkel

Banned
Why do the police come badger me every time I scan the icons at stations? Should I not be doing that?

In theory scanning different parts of stations looking for problems is illegal.
In reality Police AI is fucked and they don't do actually anything to you.

But it will be interesting what modders will do with it. I really love how AI pathfinding works in this game. battle in stations wouldn't work at with X3 AI pathfinding.

Imagine now end game where you fleet arrive in formation, where fighters fly in formations Homeworld style.

X3 end game often was just suicide after suicide because AI couldn't handle proper pathfinding

Jinroh

Silly question, if I mod the game, will it make my future saves incompatible with the vanilla version of the game?

Quantum

Silly question, if I mod the game, will it make my future saves incompatible with the vanilla version of the game?

not a silly question at all - and the best answer I can manage is - no one knows.

I have had problems on previous versions of X when trying to load saves after modding.

I guess it depends how much time you will spend with the game - if you are going to spend hundreds of hours with it and don't mind having either to restart or loosing 10 hours then mod away!

if you are trying to just finish the game and move on to the next I would say don't bother even trying to play for a month or two until its mods are found to be stable.

legacyzero

Banned

Never played a game in the franchise before.

Sinatar

Then probably it will be good game for you if you have at least i5 cpu. Anything less and you will get less than 30 FPS with drops to even 10. They still need to do few things to patch performance.

I have an i7, 12 GB of RAM and a 680 and I get drops down to single digits at times. It's a mess.

Jinroh

Thanks for the reply. Someone really need to release a mod to change NPC's faces, just like what happened with Skyrim. They look so awful it's not even funny.

glaurung

It's great that they are working on fixing this. I decided to delay my purchase until they get things more or less solid.

Plus PS4 is sucking money out of my pocket like a crazed vacuum cleaner.

KPJZKC

Just swapped out my old card for a 2GB 7850 - have jumped from 8-15fps to approx 20-35 with occasional sudden drops to single digit fps for a second or two

What mods are folks messing about with at the moment?

I've got Better Cockpits, Butter Ranges, Manual Command Extension, Remove Boarding Cutscenes, Remove Detailed Monitor Animations, Tasteful Yisha Armour and Upclose Detail Monitor.

Oh, and RS Stars adjusted skyboxes.

Sinatar

What mods are folks messing about with at the moment?

I've got Better Cockpits, Butter Ranges, Manual Command Extension, Remove Boarding Cutscenes, Remove Detailed Monitor Animations, Tasteful Yisha Armour and Upclose Detail Monitor.

Oh, and RS Stars adjusted skyboxes.

I'm playing with a mod called "Terran Conflict", miraculously it's fixed everything.

Perkel

Banned
First reviews?
German PC Games 39% - reads like score would have been even lower if not for the free mode
Quarter To Three 1/5 - short and on point as always

Not surprising. Game at 1.0 and even now is complete mess and bugs like trading bug doesn't allow you to even finish mainstory line which is no go for many sites essentially giving games 1/10.

I don't know who had the idea to release it in this state but probably thanks to glorious reviews it will bite them in ass.

On other hand they could release it on Steam as early access, squash most of the bugs thanks to people testing game and then release it in waaay better shape.

They chased for new people and those reviews will anihilate any reason to buy game for them.

Kind of ironic, especially when now hardcore community will drive this game sales.

KDR_11k

You know it's bad when even the German enthusiast press, widely known for being more forgiving towards locally developed titles, completely slams the game.

Are they more forgiving or is it just a case of German games usually being aimed at German tastes? E.g. buildup strategy games probably score better in German mags but they also sell better in German stores because we love that genre.

Top Bottom