• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox cofounder J Allard has joined Amazon to work on ‘new ideas’

They could shake things up a lot since they don’t own many studios.

Xbox, EA, Ubisoft, Take 2 they can buy up any western publisher without a sweat.
The was an interesting possibility with them buying EA, but I don't think it is happening as I don't think Amazon was to spend 40b at once in the current economy.
They are more willing to run at loss than Microsoft though, as their margins are already quite quite small. Though it is interesting that they prefer releasing MMOs in the western market and do movies based on IPs rather than anything else.

I still think Nvidia + Valve and Amazon + EA, would be interesting moves in gaming.

I do wonder what they are cooking as they got former Surface chief and now J Allard. I guess potentially some hardware is coming? I wonder if for example Xbox goes OEM, they are preparing for some Amazon gaming device? They have a fire stick but maybe they are thinking of some Windows based handheld (like they tried with their android store). Or maybe they could come up with Steam OS based handheld and so on.

Last edited:
When you are that senior and make a move like this - it's not because you are hungry to make something new and innovate the industry. It's because you want one last paycheck.,

Nothing to get excited about.

HJuggernaut

Neo Member
I've heard the name J.Allard since the early xbox 360 days but I have no idea who he is or what he does and why is he's revered in such high esteem.

edit: his gamertag is HiroProtagonist so I gotta respect that.

Last edited:
Him and Panos Panay are both interesting hires tbh.

Dude the man literally used to dream about framing Ken Kutaragi's resignation letter lmfao. He's the furthest from being a Sony agent lol.

The most notable part imo is that Ballmer back then actually understood what seems to be lost on many at MS today:
"...I didn't say, 'Stop,' but I pushed back pretty hard. There's no way to muscle in on guys like Sony and Nintendo using just sheer resources."

Sorcerer

Wasn't Allard associated with the Amico for a hot second? Not sure if Tallarico was just doing the standard lying thing, or if Allard took a second to look at the situation and noped out.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Is this guy why my friend who works as a software engineer for Amazon is going to be part of the forced attrition due to "back to office" mandates while the office is a 1.5 hour commute each way? They need to lose employees to pay this dude's salary?

Amazon loves firing people, shedding the fat. It's something very well known in the industry. If they feel he is not the best for Amazon they will fire him regardless.

Top Bottom