• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass: Oxenfree Dev Explains How Microsoft’s Subscription Service Helped His Game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://twinfinite.net/2019/03/xbox-game-pass-developer/

During a livestream from PAX East hosted by Microsoft’s Xbox Live Director of Programming Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb, we heard more about what the Xbox Game Pass service does for developers.

Oxenfree co-director Sean Krankel from Night School Studio talked about what Xbox Game Pass did for his game.

“When we brought Oxenfree to Game Pass it was really interesting because we initially thought it could cannibalize our other sales or what’s that gonna do, and actually it was just the opposite. It was something that lifted sort of all of our sales because we found that we found a lot of new audiences.​

We found people who tried the game who wouldn’t have otherwise tried it, they might not have understood the genre… It has really become a super-important part of our ecosystem because it’s just really discoverable.”​
Krankel also confirmed that thanks to the experience with Oxenfree, Night School Studio’s next game Afterparty is going to launch on Xbox Game Pass day and date with its traditional release (even if he’s not yet ready to say when that date will be).

He then mentioned that it’s a new way for the studio to reach new audiences and get people talking about the game to people that aren’t subscribed to Game Pass, so this actually improves sales on other platforms as well.

Krankel believes that the size of the games made by Night School is also perfect for Game Pass. Being about seven hours long, people aren’t intimidated by the time investment necessary to try them out.

“It’s an exciting time for developers certainly of our size, because looking at something like Game Pass, it’s a new way to get games out there, right? I think if you look a few years ago, a team of our size, even taking a swing at Oxenfree — a single-player fairly short experience — was semi-risky, and fortunately, the game paid off.​
Yet, now working with you on Game Pass, we get to find a much larger audience in a way that isn’t “how do we jam this game full of free to play mechanics” which is something that really doesn’t jive with the creatives for it.”​
He also added that it’s cool that Game Pass is curated and “very low-risk,” and mentioned that game pass proved that players can go beyond their genres of choice if they are offered the opportunity to do so.

“Game Pass really shown us that your purchasing patterns can come from the genres you care about, but there is nothing to say that you won’t like another type of game if you just try it out.”​
Later in the stream, Hryb mentioned that Microsoft will continue to work with developers to get titles onto the service day and date with their traditional releases. They’re also working on discoverability, to give exposure to the games that subscribers may not otherwise consider.

Hryb was also asked by the audience how developers whose games are on Games Pass share into the revenue, whether they receive money depending on how much a game is played, or there is an agreement beforehand, or something else. While he could not provide a direct answer due to contractual reasons, he still made an interesting point:

“I’ll just say that there’s a lot of work that Microsoft has done with our store to enable a lot of great information and a lot of great ways to understand how people are using their game. It’s not like we’re looking at you and saying “this is how you’re playing the game, this is how long.” It’s really that we invested in the infrastructure for instance to give entitlements and things like that.​

There is a lot of work that we have done on the back end, and look, I worked at Microsoft for almost twenty years […], and this company understands data like nobody. It understands how to build tools to make sure that we can be as flexible as possible. Part of it is being software company and being able to be flexible. I know that this didn’t answer your question directly, but it’s pretty complicated and I wish I could answer. It’s kind of the secret sauce.”​
Interestingly, Hryb also mentioned that the Game Pass team is looking at ways to give subscribers advance notice about games that are going to be removed from the service. The challenge is that they have to be “really respectful of the gamer” when sending notifications so that they’re not spammy.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Very cool. Oxenfree really is the "perfect" game pass game. An interesting narrative experience, and like the article said: not too long that people get scared by the time investment required.

Definitely an interesting read, considering I would have thought that the majority of "additional sales" a game on Game Pass would make would be from DLC (which is almost never included with Game Pass).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If it's 7 hours long, couldn't a gamer just play the whole game on Gamepass and not buy it? What am I missing here?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
GamePass has definitely broadened what games/genres I'll play. I've discovered a lot of games I had no interest in or thought I wouldn't like and ends up loving them, most notably Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice - what a unique and amazing experience and Sunset Overdrive - so much dumb fun.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If it's 7 hours long, couldn't a gamer just play the whole game on Gamepass and not buy it? What am I missing here?

At the end of the OP it kind goes into speculation about how developer revenues are split with Game Pass subs. Even though we got a non-answer (as usual) the prevailing theory is that Game Pass uses a system similar to Youtube Premium, in that the revenue for individual subscribers is split based on how long that particular subscriber plays a particular game. So if you subscribe to Game Pass for $10 a month, and only spend 7 hours playing Oxenfree, then a huge portion of your subscription (everything besides Microsoft's cut) goes to the Oxenfree devs.

The dev also mentioned that it increased their awareness on other platforms and worked well as a "word of mouth" avenue. Meaning they sold more PS4 / PC copies than usual, after the game was put on Game Pass. They also mention it's huge for recognition in their upcoming game Afterparty which will likely translate to higher sales.

The point they're trying to make, I guess, is that they're essentially trading short term revenue (game sales close to launch) for long term revenue projections (Game Pass subscription earnings for as long as the game is available on Game Pass) and that in their case that was a net positive considering the much wider audience that Game Pass brought to their title.

mckmas8808

At the end of the OP it kind goes into speculation about how developer revenues are split with Game Pass subs. Even though we got a non-answer (as usual) the prevailing theory is that Game Pass uses a system similar to Youtube Premium, in that the revenue for individual subscribers is split based on how long that particular subscriber plays a particular game. So if you subscribe to Game Pass for $10 a month, and only spend 7 hours playing Oxenfree, then a huge portion of your subscription (everything besides Microsoft's cut) goes to the Oxenfree devs.

The dev also mentioned that it increased their awareness on other platforms and worked well as a "word of mouth" avenue. Meaning they sold more PS4 / PC copies than usual, after the game was put on Game Pass. They also mention it's huge for recognition in their upcoming game Afterparty which will likely translate to higher sales.

The point they're trying to make, I guess, is that they're essentially trading short term revenue (game sales close to launch) for long term revenue projections (Game Pass subscription earnings for as long as the game is available on Game Pass) and that in their case that was a net positive considering the much wider audience that Game Pass brought to their title.

Jebus Christ! If this is true MS has a super winner on their hands. God bless GamePass. I had no idea that the app worked out this well for devs too (I knew it was a great deal for gamers). Do you know if Playstation pays money out to devs like this too with PS+ free game download of the month?

Last edited:

jshackles

Jebus Christ! If this is true MS has a super winner on their hands. God bless GamePass. I had no idea that the app worked out this well for devs too (I knew it was a great deal for gamers). Do you know if Playstation pays money out to devs like this too with PS+ free game download of the month?

The PS+ "free" game downloads are a flat fee for the developers, I believe a few of them have confirmed this in the past. The closest equivalent on Sony's side would be Playstation Now's streaming service which probably has a similar payout model to Game Pass although I've yet to see any comments like OP's from the smaller devs which leads me to believe it's not nearly as refined or profitable for them. This would also explain why Playstation Now is mostly big budget / big studio stuff whereas Game Pass has a lot more indie involvement.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Jebus Christ! If this is true MS has a super winner on their hands. God bless GamePass. I had no idea that the app worked out this well for devs too (I knew it was a great deal for gamers).

Sorry, I just don't buy it. I don't think people on other platforms are going to be so aware of every indie title on Gamepass that it provides uplift across the board. Especially when/if more a-la carte services enter the marketplace.

Its also worth noting that Oxenfree originally launched a full year prior to Gamepass, so what we're talking about is uplift on sales at a point where they were going to be extremely low anyway.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Very interesting. I didn't know this is how things worked. So here's a question. I got ESO the day it launched. It's now on Game Pass. So What if like a new update comes out and all that month I'm grinding heavy on a Gamepass game that I purchased before Gamepass was even a thing? I wonder how they deal with that.

Last edited:

jshackles

Very interesting. I didn't know this is how things worked. So here's a question. I got ESO the day it launched. It's now on Game Pass. So What if like a new update comes out and all that month I'm grinding heavy on a Gamepass game that I purchased before Gamepass was even a thing? I wonder how they deal with that.

Obligatory "I don't really have any insider knowledge here, I'm just piecing together what I've heard".

Microsoft definitely knows the difference on an individual user's account whether they own a game via outright digital purchase, or if the game they're playing had a license granted to them via Game Pass (or, via "free Games with Gold"). This is why on the Microsoft Store, you can see different headings on different games such as

4SDKxI5.png

(outright digital purchase - I have paid for the digital copy of this game)

j1Uyim1.png

(A game I do not own digitally, but can play via Game Pass)

uKAwg9w.png

(A game I got free from "Games with Gold", that would be revoked if my subscription lapsed)

If the rumblings are correct that Game Pass splits their subscription revenue based on time spent in-game, my best guess would be that users playing games they already own would not factor into that split. From a business standpoint, that makes sense too when you consider Microsoft considers Game Pass to be an add-on subscription and if a user already owns a particular game that gets released as part of that, that user isn't seeing any increased value - also the developer has already been paid for that individual user's store transaction.

Again nobody really knows besides the people involved who seem to be under pretty hefty NDAs, but this is my best guess from piecing together all of the available info. It also tracks when they say "this company understands data like nobody" - I doubt any other company besides maybe Valve is tracking individual user metric data to this degree.

nikolino840

Becouse Microsoft payd for the licensing...in fact they deal for some months not for the eternity....
Maybe some dosn't like so much the subscrption model and instead of make another month they buy the game...
The developers earn Money in any case...

mckmas8808

Becouse Microsoft payd for the licensing...in fact they deal for some months not for the eternity....
Maybe some dosn't like so much the subscrption model and instead of make another month they buy the game...
The developers earn Money in any case...

Hold on.....so when the game gets removed from Game Pass, Xbox users aren't able to play that "downloaded" game anymore?

jshackles

Hold on.....so when the game gets removed from Game Pass, Xbox users aren't able to play that "downloaded" game anymore?

This is correct. In fact, it turns into an advertisement of sorts - since the game isn't automatically deleted, when you attempt to run your already installed game, you're just taken to the store page to purchase it. If you do decide to purchase the game, you don't need to re-download it.

nikolino840

No..off course...when the time of license Is over you can't play,but they Always add new games ....if you want you have to pay the game normally (if you have in the meantime the pass you have 20% off ) Is like cable/satellite/stream TV... I don't know.. like Netflix pay for some months Jurassic Park...so do you mean that Warner Bros (or whatever) give the permission to share the movie without earning Money?

mckmas8808

This is correct. In fact, it turns into an advertisement of sorts - since the game isn't automatically deleted, when you attempt to run your already installed game, you're just taken to the store page to purchase it. If you do decide to purchase the game, you don't need to re-download it.

Oh my god. So THAT'S how Gamepass increases software sales. Literally, no one has explained this so clearly before. Thanks. Do you know how long games tend to stay playable on Gamepass? Is it 2 months or so?

Top Bottom