• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox just had it's best Showcase ever... and Halo wasn't even mentioned once

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
No Gears, either.

The end of the days of "Xbox is only Gears, Halo, and Forza" is nigh.

South of Midnight, Avowed, Sea of Thieves, Fable, Hellblade II, Starfield, Clockwork Revolution, Perfect Dark, etc.. etc..

Sure feels like a changing of the guard. The future looks damn bright for the platform.

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah especially as season 4 is just about to drop. Looks like its getting sent to die.

I enjoyed my time with it and thought the campaign was really good, everything else after has been a complete shit show. I say cut support, let 343i's new management lick their wounds and come back with something for the start of next gen.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Think they are just planning on what to do with the franchise, its clear Infinite will die off soon, either that or they remake the game and import it over to unreal engine.

Biggest issues with MP is the desync and progression still being bugged, desync being the biggest issue make it nearly impossible to play.

GrayChild

Halo has run its course.

Time for Microsoft to branch out with different new IPs. Lots of their first party studios are infinitely more capable than 343i anyway.

There's still some juice left in Gears of War, but the series could do with some reinvention here and there.

Last edited:

vj27

Banned
Man you should’ve seen the absolute disappointment the halo community is going through on the socials lol. I wanted it to be there but I kinda knew it wasn’t. Hoping they show season 4 Tuesday at least, kinda felt like a slap in the face to see updates on ESO, 76, and SOT but not halos update coming out this month.

An bro I was in the live chat with the conference, when Phil said one more thing I was legit posting please be gears 6 just to see fucking starfield again 🥲. But we all gotta realize it’s not like these devs are just sitting on their asses. Saw Jez Corden tweet say the coalition has been cooking up some (no shit) for a while now. With all these devs they have and how good the show was I don’t think it was necessary to blow their entire load.

Kokoloko85

Best shows are the ones when you get told about a bunch of NEW games you never knew about. Surprises and more surprises. Like when they showed Capcom‘s new game or Clockwork.
After 3-4 years of knowing about these titles, Fable wasnt even gameplay, Neither was Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark wasnt even there…

Still a decent show and better than PS but I miss the E3’s of last gen

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Think they are just planning on what to do with the franchise, its clear Infinite will die off soon, either that or they remake the game and import it over to unreal engine.

Biggest issues with MP is the desync and progression still being bugged, desync being the biggest issue make it nearly impossible to play.

Because they didn't need to show either. Both IPs will still return.

Yes. Maybe it's not clear, but that's the point of this thread.

Halo and Gears and Forza will continue to exist, but the fact that Microsoft can have what's considered to be the best showcase they've ever done with no Gears, no Halo, and minimal Forza is a testament to the fact that their breadth of IP has grown exponentially compared to past generations.

It's a great sign for the platform.

Last edited:
best showcase ever? it was bad with nothing new just trailers for games we knew about already. they had way better showcases before. Also Halo is dead and irrelevant for about a decade now, not sure why you are surprised halo wasnt there.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Halo is being rebooted as a franchise, I don’t believe we will see it again before 2025.

I am not talking about Halo infinite updates and seasons.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I play Halo frequently these days with friends, game is great, don't get the complaints honestly, but yeah there are some desync bug and sometimes it crashes to one of them but very rarely

Moneal

They have had some great shows before that were really never realized. There was some great stuff in the show yesterday, but little gameplay for Xbox studio games outside Starfield. Its gonna be a bit before we know if this is more like the past shows or there is going to be a payoff for gamers.

Speaking of gears, id like to see them take the God of War approach. Give me some open world gears
They kinda already tried that with the last entry. There were 2 or 3 large hub areas with side missions and collectibles to find in each one. I thought it was pretty neat and a nice change of pace from other Gears games, but many people also thought it felt tacked-on. I for one wouldn't mind if they doubled down on this aspect for Gears 6.

Ballthyrm

I think it's great, they should let Franchise rest for a bit instead of pumping them out year after year.
Some of the greatest game we ever had where reboot of Franchises.

- Prince of Persia
- Rayman
- Doom
- Metroid
- Deus Ex
- XCOM

Zuzu

Personally I feel that after Gears 6 they should just shut down that franchise for a long period of time. They should finish up this second trilogy and call it a day. Then focus on building something new. The gameplay loop has run its course and feels old.

Halo still has a lot of potential but not in the hands of 343 unless their restructuring has substantially changed the way they will make games in the future.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Personally I feel that after Gears 6 they should just shut down that franchise for a long period of time. They should finish up this second trilogy and call it a day. Then focus on building something new. The gameplay loop has run its course and feels old.

Halo still has a lot of potential but not in the hands of 343 unless their restructuring has substantially changed the way they will make games in the future.

I can't wait for Gears 6 but past that, I agree with you.

I would LOVE to see what The Coalition could do with a wholly new IP.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I wouldn't say it was their best, But it was good. Especially compared to what Sony put out. The show was ok, and it was made better by the Starfield content.

Chukhopops

Xbox need new mascot and luckily starfield is that game.
I think Starfield is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills aleins and doesn’t afraid of anything.

But more seriously I think it will be a couple years before we see anything other than the TV series.

XXL

The showcase was okay. The Starfield Direct was great.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The best showcase they've ever had? That's pretty timid considering there was a bunch of third party games and those exclusives they showed which are nothing as of right now. I can point you to a few during the 360 era that do a lot more than this one did.

I think it's a good idea to take out our paper bags and breathe as nothing has really changed from last week to this week and the games that haven't been released are just nothing but potential and that's not even saying it's all good.

Settle down and I hope some of these games are actually good because most of them I'll be able to play on PC and I don't have a lot of time to waste on crap. I don't even have a lot of time to waste on good games.

dorkimoe

They kinda already tried that with the last entry. There were 2 or 3 large hub areas with side missions and collectibles to find in each one. I thought it was pretty neat and a nice change of pace from other Gears games, but many people also thought it felt tacked-on. I for one wouldn't mind if they doubled down on this aspect for Gears 6.
Yup loved the way it was in 5, I agree with you. Lets double down!

diffusionx

Gold Member
It shows how far Xbox has come under Spencer that they can omit a load of AAA franchises from some of the world's biggest studios and still deliver easily the best showcase of the year.
He deserves a lot of credit.
Lol, the reason Halo isn’t mentioned is because Halo is a second tier at best franchise these days. That happened at least partly under Spencer’s watch and he definitely deserves the “credit” he gets for tanking that franchise with Bonnie Ross.

Riky

$MSFT

The multiplayer was also probably the best so far, it felt incredible at 120fps on Series consoles.

This might be Xbox's best show ever and I still think it was mid at best. To still not show gameplay for games announced 3+ years ago is inexcusable.
Honestly, there's another way to look at this...and it's how I look at this - I think this showcase shows just how strong Xbox has become, and is becoming. Easily one of their best showcases and generally better than a lot of, from other industry leaders, including Sony, over the past few years.

And they still haven't showed us Gears 6, Contraband, Everwild, Indiana Jones, Perfect Dark, The Coalition's new game, or any of the unannounced titles they're working on. That's saying something. Their dream of being able to release one big first-party title every quarter, with lots of variety, looks to be an unfolding reality. From once having no games to being perhaps the most game-heavy platform in the business, with some damn good releases. That's saying something. I don't see how anyone can see this as a bad thing, at all. This is easily the best Xbox has ever been, truthfully. That's not even counting AA releases like Ori, Pentiment, Hi-Fi Rush, Grounded, Psychonauts, etc., or old, unused IP. If they succeed with the Activision purchase, that'll push them over the edge; it'll be overkill at that point.

Things are actually looking pretty damn bright for Xbox, and that's undeniable.

Honestly, there's another way to look at this...and it's how I look at this - I think this showcase shows just how strong Xbox has become, and is becoming. Easily one of their best showcases and generally better than a lot of, from other industry leaders, including Sony, over the past few years.

And they still haven't showed us Gears 6, Contraband, Everwild, Indiana Jones, Perfect Dark, The Coalition's new game, or any of the unannounced titles they're working on. That's saying something. Their dream of being able to release one big first-party title every quarter, with lots of variety, looks to be an unfolding reality. From once having no games to being perhaps the most game-heavy platform in the business, with some damn good releases. That's saying something. I don't see how anyone can see this as a bad thing, at all. This is easily the best Xbox has ever been, truthfully. That's not even counting AA releases like Ori, Pentiment, Hi-Fi Rush, Grounded, Psychonauts, etc., or old, unused IP. If they succeed with the Activision purchase, that'll push them over the edge; it'll be overkill at that point.

I really have to quote myself here, because I don't think people are getting just how big of a deal this is for Xbox...

Doom
Quake
State of Decay 3
Fallout
Halo
Unused IP (Conker, Banjo, Phantom Dust, etc.)
Forgotten IP (Quantum Break, Super Lucky's Tale, Killer Instinct, etc.)
The new exclusive from Hideo Kojima
Death Loop
The Evil Within...
Wolfenstein

Xbox is turning into a monster before our eyes. That old narrative of them not having any games will turn into the narrative of Xbox having the most games. And it's not just a numbers thing either... The quality of the games have, so far, been pretty darn good. Yes Redfall was a huge flop, but every game I mentioned has been reviewed/received well or great.

I don't give them credit for just announcing games way too early. We don't know what most Sony studios are working on. Most people, including Phil himself, would rather announce games closer to launch, Xbox at the start of this gen did exactly what Phil said they wouldn't do by announcing games that are years away. Xbox looks brighter with all these games coming, but like Phil said, until we have the controller in our hands I wouldn't get too hyped after releases like Redfall and Halo Infinite. Xbox also by default are giving Playstation every console VR game as console exclusive by not jumping into VR and some games are just flat out skipping the xbox platform if they don't get GamePass $$$ up front.

So first party wise things might finally start rolling like they should for xbox, but it's still lacking and has other issues when games skip you entirely cause it doesn't make sense financially to make a xbox version.

Last edited:

gimmmick

Bar must be extremely low if this was considered its best showing ever. Not enough gameplay walk through for announced titles. Like didn’t Sony just get shitted on for showing trailers at it’s direct?

Starfield looks amazing though. Though was it was exciting as halo 2 being played on stage at e3 ? (2004?)

Last edited:

Tg89

We'll see when these games actually come out. Pretty much none of them are coming out anytime soon. They've had good showcases before and then not released half the stuff they showed.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
We'll see when these games actually come out. Pretty much none of them are coming out anytime soon. They've had good showcases before and then not released half the stuff they showed.

Huh? Like 90% of them were announced for this year or next.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Halo hasn't really been a system seller in a long time, and neither has Gears. Even last gen, these franchises were waning. But MS hasn't had a true tentpole title to replace it.

That's changed. Starfield has the hype and public interest to be the kind of brand-identifying, marquee title that MS has been so badly needing. They had better hope it sticks the landing, now.

Top Bottom