• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox just had it's best Showcase ever... and Halo wasn't even mentioned once

Wow you guys just hand waive 10 years of shit for one meh conference. Easily persuaded by propagand***cough**errm***advertisements. Stuff like starfield, Avowed, Sea of Thieves, Fable, Hellblade II, was already known about.

So many people came out of the woodwork on this forum. Like they were in hiding.. all from a simple confrence.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Thank God.

Microsoft bought way stronger franchises. It’s time to broaden the image of what Microsoft Studios brings to the table.

Topher

Gold Member
It wasn't the best ever Xbox showcase, but it was really good and, more importantly, breathed some new life into Xbox's fanbase that was desperately needed.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Next year is as much as 18 months away depending on when next year it is. That ain’t soon, and they need games now.

They've got a GOTY contender coming in less than 3 months. And a virtually guaranteed 90+ MC racing game the month after that. And plenty of deals for smaller titles in between.

They're more than fine.

TVexperto

No Gears, either.

The end of the days of "Xbox is only Gears, Halo, and Forza" is nigh.

South of Midnight, Avowed, Sea of Thieves, Fable, Hellblade II, Starfield, Clockwork Revolution, Perfect Dark, etc.. etc..

Sure feels like a changing of the guard. The future looks damn bright for the platform.
was sea of thieves mentioned?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Best ever is kinda of a stretch...

Its more than a stretch!

Someone want to enlighten me as to exactly what made it so good? Take Starfield off the table, which was a full half of the run-time, and there really wasn't all that much shown.

In 2019 they showed 60 titles! This was around a quarter of that number.

GooseMan69

Yeah, it was a great showing. The type of showing that makes me seriously consider going out and dropping $500 on an Xbox.

Idk what the fuck Sony is doing right now. Seriously disappointed with that garbage showcase they had. Maybe this will wake them up.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, it was a great showing. The type of showing that makes me seriously consider going out and dropping $500 on an Xbox.

Idk what the fuck Sony is doing right now. Seriously disappointed with that garbage showcase they had. Maybe this will wake them up.
jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Fbh

Gold Member
Not sure if it was the best show ever. Starfield was awesome but aside from that there was no real system seller for me.
But it was a very solid show, easily the best one from this "non-E3" season. And it's nice seeing them no longer depend on their 3 classic franchises.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No Gears, either.

The end of the days of "Xbox is only Gears, Halo, and Forza" is nigh.

South of Midnight, Avowed, Sea of Thieves, Fable, Hellblade II, Starfield, Clockwork Revolution, Perfect Dark, etc.. etc..

Sure feels like a changing of the guard. The future looks damn bright for the platform.
I'd argue that the fact they didn't show any halo updates or Gears 6 is the REASON its the best showcase.

How many times have we said "uhhh well Xbox is just Gears Halo and Forza". They kept the Forza crap short as we know what we're getting. Thank God and don't try seaparating the Xbox Showcase and the Starfield Direct. Same camp, Bob.

Mental Gymnastics need not apply.

StueyDuck

OP must've only started playing games a few years ago. Every XBOX E3 conference during the 360 was light years better than this.
i mean the Iconic Modern warfare reveal is still a banger, as well as the Halo 3 reveal with chief standing on the cliff edge, that trailer still gives the tinglies .

TheMan

If I hadn't seen this thread I wouldn't have even thought of Halo or Gears. Gears especially has lost its relevance. Halo I think could still be great but they need to reboot the next game with a new team and a fresh approach.

But yeah it was good to get excited about xbox again.

I thought the show was just okay. There was truly very little gameplay shown of some of the more anticipated games. Seeing yet another basically cinematic showing for fable was disappointing, but I loved seeing Richard Ayoade. Microsoft did show games though, which is always nice, and is what they've been doing the last couple of years (regardless of 1st party or not). I was surprised that The Last Night was another no-show for the 2nd year in a row. I thought it would definitely make an appearance this year. I don't like that Halo wasn't shown, but it really makes a lot of since to exclude it and Gears from the showcase this time around. They'll resurface eventually.

VAVA Mk2

I think it's great, they should let Franchise rest for a bit instead of pumping them out year after year.
Some of the greatest game we ever had where reboot of Franchises.

- Prince of Persia
- Rayman
- Doom
- Metroid
- Deus Ex
- XCOM
Halo Infinite came out 6 years after Halo 5.

VAVA Mk2

To be fair, they just gutted 343i and basically are starting over with new management. Will be years before we are anything besides season updates to Halo Infinite MP.

Quantum253

Gold Member
The showcase was great, Halo is no longer innovative enough to carry a presentation. That said, Halo will always have a place on the gaming shelf for defining an entire generation of FPS games. Nothing will be like the anticipation and launch of Halo 2. One day, I hope it gets back it's roots and can be another heavy hitter.

Dane

It has been for a few years, Forza Horizon is de facto the face of Xbox since FH3 sucess, Halo was that acclaimed franchise from the start that got into the curse of switching developers with no quality reason and they managed to do worse each entry. Not that Halo Infinite is bad, but they can't even properly ship basic features on the delayed dates ffs, I think they still have legacy features to release, while Sea of Thieves fixed its content issues in months and has been over delivering for years. They know that Halo Infinite has become such a tarnished image that showing at E3 would be regarded as a waste of precious time.

Sacred

So much salt in this thread it's hilarious. That was a fantastic showcase, featured a ton of first party, very interesting third party and indies, renewed faith in japanese development, and almost everything coming to game pass.

They obviously succeeded in a huge way if you look at the hardware spikes and buzz talk on the internet. So many members on here can never give MS credit for anything and this showcase proved that in spades.

Jboemios

Banned
GAF have told me for years that Xbox conferences have been bad, but suddenly the narrative change to this conference being mid and past conference being good.

Dont be surprise when the next year they will try to say us that this year conference was bad.

Tg89

They've got a GOTY contender coming in less than 3 months.
Bethesda hasn't released a good game in a decade. The Starfield showcase looked good, we'll see how the game actually turns out.

1000 planets could go a lot of different ways. They could be mostly empty. They could be full of buggy content because the game is made by one of the most incompetent devs in the business when it comes to that category. We'll see.

Top Bottom