• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One BC |OT| "Fortunately, we have a product for people who don't own a 360"

Once you insert the disc and begin downloading the game, do you need the disc for reauthorization anymore?

I plan to go home and pick up my Xbox One over Christmas, but I don't want to take every 360 game with me.

Once you insert the disc and begin downloading the game, do you need the disc for reauthorization anymore?

I plan to go home and pick up my Xbox One over Christmas, but I don't want to take every 360 game with me.
It works the same as the 360. So, you need the disc to authenticate you own the game.

With PS2 classics coming to PS4, I hope MS does OG Xbox Emulation next. Need that Ninja Gaiden Black!

It's not going to happen for a number of hardware reasons. OG Xbox simulation is more similar to emulating the PS3 due to how the hardware was used by the games (extremely dumbed down explanation).

EvB

It's not going to happen for a number of hardware reasons. OG Xbox simulation is more similar to emulating the PS3 due to how the hardware was used by the games (extremely dumbed down explanation).

Is it? It was a regular Pentium Processor and a Regular Geforce Graphcis card.

They emulated it on 360, so I don't see why they couldn't on Xbox One.

EthanC

Banned
I'm buying an Xbox One this holiday mainly just so I have a Lumines Live player again. I miss that game so much. Does anyone know if every bit of DLC for it is still available? Namely the two music video skins that got pulled years ago.

Bumhead

Banned
I went back and tried Gears 2 on my 360, and the performance is pretty bad. Cutscenes are terrible.

This is actually reassuring. As my first experience with BC, I'd rather the sketchy performance be down to the game rather than the emulation. That would be pretty disheartening.

Going to try a few other things I think and see what else is going on.

Is it? It was a regular Pentium Processor and a Regular Geforce Graphcis card.

They emulated it on 360, so I don't see why they couldn't on Xbox One.

They wouldn't now because of the licensing deal with NVidia. It would cost them money to do so.

Syriel

So the 360 games cannot be game shared i take it? Gears judgment just keeps asking me to sign to play online even though i am signed in..

The BC games are treated just like native Xbox One games as far as who can start them up. If you have set your Xbox One as your home console, then anyone on that console can play them. If you have not set your Xbox One as your home console, then you must be signed in to play.

The BC games are no different than other Xbox 360 and Xbox One games. If you have a digital copy, the license is tied to your account and/or system and does not need a disc. If you have a physical copy, you need the disc in the system to play.

This is incorrect.

They wouldn't now because of the licensing deal with NVidia. It would cost them money to do so.

This is correct.

Emulating the OG Xbox on the Xbox One would not be a large technical challenge. The biggest obstacle is the business reason.

Syriel

I was going off this post which is for PC http://67.227.255.239/forum/showpost.php?p=98302187&postcount=11

But if MS wanted to avoid Nvidia costs they'd have to go it alone?

MS doesn't own the IP behind the OG Xbox hardware. As a result, in order to make one legally there would be two options:

1) License the IP and use the existing knowledge of how the system works to build an emulator.

2) Hire a group of engineers with zero knowledge of the inner workings of the system and tell them to develop an emulator from scratch.

The latter is even more challenging than what homebrew authors have to deal with as MS would have to ensure that said engineers didn't see any internal documentation.

MS owns the 360 IP and knows how it works. The challenge there was simply technical. Could the team get enough performance out of the Xbox One hardware to make a 360 emulator offer playable performance?

With the OG Xbox, MS has the knowledge and the technical challenges for someone with that knowledge are minimal compared to what the 360 emulation team faced. The challenge is that MS doesn't have the rights to use all of that knowledge. And if you forbid the developers from using it, in order to stay legal, than suddenly there is a huge technical challenge.

Does that make sense?

Teggy

Does anyone know if Nuts and Bolts had frame rate problems on the 360? Because the Rare Replay version gets really bad in spots.

Tyrus

Banned
Anyone have a spare Fallout 3 code? Can also trade for my spare Gears of War 3 or Gears Judgment code if desired.

Don't forget to check the 360 sales some really good stuff discounted lately I picked up Blood Dragon and Bioshock.

Fingers crossed for Mirrors Edge and Skate 3.

Got an update of Gears of War 2, 3 and Judgement, now Gears 3 seems to run better :)

Yeah, I noticed that. Wish someone doing all of these framerate analyses with captured footage could help sort out the differences. The auto-saving hitches are still present in Gears 3, but the hitching when it seems like it is streaming in the next setpiece encounter's data has almost vanished as compared to the first version released. Pretty promising improvements with this update happening only a week after initial public release. Hope they keep at it.

Yeah, I noticed that. Wish someone doing all of these framerate analyses with captured footage could help sort out the differences. The auto-saving hitches are still present in Gears 3, but the hitching when it seems like it is streaming in the next setpiece encounter's data has almost vanished as compared to the first version released. Pretty promising improvements with this update happening only a week after initial public release. Hope they keep at it.

Agreed, it's good to see them pushing out updates quick. Although I don't think I understand the emulation process properly, aren't the games all the exact same versions that were on 360? So any improvement in performance on XB1 would come from updating the emulator itself (and so improvements to the emulator would impact all games, at least to some degree)?

Chris1

Agreed, it's good to see them pushing out updates quick. Although I don't think I understand the emulation process properly, aren't the games all the exact same versions that were on 360? So any improvement in performance on XB1 would come from updating the emulator itself (and so improvements to the emulator would impact all games, at least to some degree)?

The emulator is done on a game by game basis, it's why all games are ~600mb bigger in file. So they can update the emulator for gears 3 without touching the emulator for Banjo Kazooie for example.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am curios when the December games list will get released.

Hopefully it will include Dark Souls and New Vegas since Fallout 4 players deserve to play that one.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
sonic cd felt fine to me but I've yet to try sonic 2 or 3 which are emulated, then add the frame of control delay BC seems to give

Sonic 3 definitely suffers from bad input lag in the special stages. Still managed to do them all no problem though.

Bsigg12

I am curios when the December games list will get released.

Hopefully it will include Dark Souls and New Vegas since Fallout 4 players deserve to play that one.

I wonder if and when we'll see EA start putting non-sports games into EA Access. I figure that'll be something big for them to push.

I just want Halo Reach and Halo Wars available in December.

Top Bottom