• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Fox Mulder

Downloading a 40GB "demo" doesn't make sense.

Obviously, although a bit of an exaggeration.

Most of the indie games are only a couple of gigs. Although I'm less concerned with AAA demos, Horizon 2 is 38gb and offers a 10gb demo.

Demos dont matter to you, great. Developers probably have stats to back that up too. Coming from demos for everything on xbla to nothing now is disappointing to me, and I just buy far less from it.

Chitown B

Most of the indie games are only a couple of gigs. Although I'm less concerned with AAA demos, Horizon 2 is 38gb and offers a 10gb demo.

yeah I hear you. Some might put in the work. But for the most part when games were offered as full downloads and "demo mode" they were much much smaller. Even some "indie" games are 3-4GB.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Demos dont matter to you, great. Developers probably have stats to back that up too. Coming from demos for everything on xbla to nothing now is disappointing to me, and I just buy far less from it.

I'm with you.No demos=No money from me unless is a cheaper game(less than 10$)or i'm confident 100% the game i like it.Spend hundreds of euros in the 360 thanks to the demos.Now nothing and only if is cheap or i like it.

This is what annoys me. Demos should be mandatory. I will very rarely buy a game blind without having played the demo unless I absolutely know I'll like it, or I've played a previous game in the series and enjoyed it.

Apparently the lack of demos is because "publishers complained" or so I read... well if they'd like to discourage sales by not providing a taster of the games then they're welcome to, but I'll be buying less games that way as I don't get to test them out first to see if they're something I'd want to pay for.
The same for me.I don't care if is a effort to the developer to cut a part of a game and put a demo,the developer has to think in me and no viceversa.You want my money?Give me a demo(Beta and alphas are ok).

Montresor

I think more offensive than no demos are demos that give you achievements. I know this is probably a rotten thought but I will absolutely not play a demo that gives me achievements.

I'm not some guy that only wants all 100% gamerscore games on my list - far from it. I'm more than willing to try a game and if I don't like that game, I'll stop playing it and leave it at like 5 gamerscore, I don't care. But I hate the idea of demos giving you achievements.

eastx

I'm not some guy that only wants all 100% gamerscore games on my list - far from it. I'm more than willing to try a game and if I don't like that game, I'll stop playing it and leave it at like 5 gamerscore, I don't care. But I hate the idea of demos giving you achievements.

Illogical.

Chitown B

I'm with you.No demos=No money from me unless is a cheaper game(less than 10$)or i'm confident 100% the game i like it.Spend hundreds of euros in the 360 thanks to the demos.Now nothing and only if is cheap or i like it.

Just redbox it for $2 and see if you like it?

I think more offensive than no demos are demos that give you achievements. I know this is probably a rotten thought but I will absolutely not play a demo that gives me achievements.

huh? what games do this? this used to be a big no-no. You'd only get the achieves if you unlocked the game.

Montresor

Illogical.

Yup it does sound a bit illogical. Let me re-word it a bit and let me know if this makes sense:

1) I don't want a game I'm not interested in to get stuck on my list.

2) I am very interested in Dark Souls, I just am horrible at the game. I'm not built for a game like Dark Souls. But I wanted to play it anyway and get it added to my list, whether I succeed or fail, because it's nice for me to look back on the game and say "Hey would you look at that, Dark Souls defeated me back in 2013 - I only got 40 gamerscore in that game and could not get past Lordran."

Montresor

Just redbox it for $2 and see if you like it?

huh? what games do this? this used to be a big no-no. You'd only get the achieves if you unlocked the game.

Harmonix's dance game demo gives you achievements. That's dumb. Screamride's demo does not give you achievements - that's good.

The games you can play before release with EA Access give you achievements. You don't have to own the game to play those.

I don't mind those, strangely enough. They're not necessarily advertised as demos. They're the full, entire game, with time-limited access. I had no problems at all with the Forza Motorsport 5 or Sunset Overdrive weekends, for example.

zorbsie

is that really a "demo" though? You're paying for the service. PSN+ games give trophies and Games with Gold give achieves.

Yeah you're right. I was trying to figure out what he meant by demos. It was a stretch, I admit. :)

Fortified looks like fun. I'll pick it up simply to help out local devs.

Microsoft released a new batch of games in the chinese Marketplace today: Child of Light, Fruit Ninja 2, Shape up and the chinese exclusives Monkey King Saga and Lies of Astaroth.

I got Disney Fantasia recently thanks to the sale with all it's DLC! and while it's pretty fun, I am annoyed that I could never get it to register my punch accurately as much as everything else. Anything that is about punching just doesn't register accurately. I think it has to do with the calibration yet when I do the AV calibration just nothing seems to differ if I put the delay -60 or 60. I still can hear the sound matching the hits happening on screen so I'm guessing I'll have to just brute force my way through this or is there a more accurate way to calibrate it?

zebwinz

digital ONLY games, no. But we were talking about AAA $60 games too.

For the $12-20 ones usually a let's play or review is enough motivation. That's about the cost of a 2 hour movie.

I think the person was alluding to the fact that this is the Xbox One Downloadable games thread, so mentioning Redbox isn't really helpful in this case/discussion.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
digital ONLY games, no. But we were talking about AAA $60 games too.

For the $12-20 ones usually a let's play or review is enough motivation. That's about the cost of a 2 hour movie.
Not for me.For digital only games i need a demo,for a physical game i can sell if i want to do it.Is more important for me a demo for a downloadable game than a demo for a physical game.The perfect situation was xbla with all games with demos.That was perfect.

I think the person was alluding to the fact that this is the Xbox One Downloadable games thread, so mentioning Redbox isn't really helpful in this case/discussion.
This.

Chitown B

Not for me.For digital only games i need a demo,for a physical game i can sell if i want to do it.Is more important for me a demo for a downloadable game than a demo for a physical game.The perfect situation was xbla with all games with demos.That was perfect.

This.

fair enough. different people have different incomes. I don't worry about reselling games. If I had to worry about that, then I would probably buy differently.

Reporting back from my Chinese games experience.

There was a huge 2GB update only for my Chinese Xbox One today. After downloading and installing it, I try to log in and it asked my Xbox Live password again (which should have being stored). I logged in and I see a lot more of BesTV presence.

I was able to add the 2 new games (they are freemium games) to my download list, downloading them right now.

But this update was suppose to allow chinese users to access other regions marketplaces (turning the console region free) but I was not able to change regions, only China is still available. Maybe the update was supposed to allow only disc-based games from other regions, like PS4? Don´t know.

I was not able to access the Chinese Marketplace from my US Xbox, it is still locked.

In other News, PS4 exclusive chinese games got some updates today, changing their titles to english. Will test later if the games have know English in-game too.

EDITED: Yeah, it seems that the update was mean to make the console disc-based region free, as the PS4 is on China. I was able to play US discs on my Chinese Xbox One. But marketplaces are still locked, Chinese Xbox One can access only Chinese marketplace, which is locked elsewhere.

Kalimba will probably hit GWG like Max did and Golf Club got terrible reviews. What a shitty sale. I bought nothing even though I'm sitting on $50 of credit.

U2NUMB

According to a Happy Wars devs tweet, they suggest not playing it as it may break your 360 save.

awww well I fired it up but have not played a game... I did not have any serious time put into my 360 version so either way... but good info for anyone not aware.

Top Bottom