• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

The_D

Neo Member
If you have a Pioneer receiver and having issues enable the surround sound beta and try the Direct setting on the receiver. I switched it to Pure Direct and started having issues this morning.
FYI Pure Direct is an audio mode in receivers that bypasses the video in order to provide the best audio quality. That's why you lost your video in Pure Direct.

EvB

So my xbox one that i ordered from amazon.de is being delivered today. Since i live in the netherlands i googled what i could do etc. I read something by a mircosoft rep that i should not buy a german xbox because i would not be able to log in to xbl or the market place.

My questions dear gafers is.

How am i going to download my copy of fifa 14?
And how will i be able to buy stuff from the store.

Microsoft said you could change stores /territories at will, I'm sure. I reckon that rep didn't know what he was talking about.

You'll just have to stay on the German or Uk marketplace until it is available in the Netherlands.

Filler Bunny

Neo Member
Have any importers to tier 2 countries had a hands on with the system? Anyone able to shed some light on how everything works yet?

I dont get my console until monday, but i would love to hear what you can and cannot do. Haven't been able to find anything with my google-fu.

Omiee

Microsoft said you could change stores /territories at will, I'm sure. I reckon that rep didn't know what he was talking about.

You'll just have to stay on the German or Uk marketplace until it is available in the Netherlands.

What if i want to use an american or uk marketplace

how would i buy things? Can i buy prepaid cards online for the us store?

Also the fifa that is included in the day one can i download it from any store or should i have the german store?

Filler Bunny

Neo Member
What if i want to use an american or uk marketplace

how would i buy things? Can i buy prepaid cards online for the us store?

Also the fifa that is included in the day one can i download it from any store or should i have the german store?

I know you can change your gamertags territory on xbox.com and i know that you could make a dummy account in any region you wanted, log into it, download your FIFA code and then play it on your main account, on the same xbox.

Other than that, im not sure exactly what happens when you turn on the bone. There were conflicting reports saying we could/couldnt change the console marketplace regions at will when we set up the machine.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
General question, if I live in Germany, could I still use the english (or whatever other) voice command setup? I think I read something about this not being possible, but I have no clue where or if I actually did.

Omiee

I know you can change your gamertags territory on xbox.com and i know that you could make a dummy account in any region you wanted, log into it, download your FIFA code and then play it on your main account, on the same xbox.

Other than that, im not sure exactly what happens when you turn on the bone. There were conflicting reports saying we could/couldnt change the console marketplace regions at will when we set up the machine.

I thought paypal was an option as well

Having great success with Kinect after quickly learning the key phrases. Xbox on the hardest thing so far.

Question. Can you snap a game?

Also, can you change the proportions of the snapped app/item?

T.O.P

Banned
Guys a question, need to trade the FIfa code to another gaffer, are the codes confirmed region free? or he'll have change marketplace to redeem it?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So, the Blu-Ray player has no voice commands (Pause etc.) ? Doesn't work for me.

Watching Gladiator while Ryse downloads...

nbraun80

Guys a question, need to trade the FIfa code to another gaffer, are the codes confirmed region free? or he'll have change marketplace to redeem it?
I traded and got a FIFA code from a gaffer and I'm in the US, I just entered it in on Xbox.com and it worked.

Prine

Banned
I love love love that I can have multiple games in resume mode and jump between them. Such a massive jump in what previous consoles could do.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Last night I woke up hearing the buzzing sound again. This was like 4AM. And I put my ear to my Xbox. No noise. But I then dropped to the floor and put my ear to the power brick. It's humming slightly. Is there a fan in there or something? Does anyone else's buzz slightly?

Last night I woke up hearing the buzzing sound again. This was like 4AM. And I put my ear to my Xbox. No noise. But I then dropped to the floor and put my ear to the power brick. It's humming slightly. Is there a fan in there or something? Does anyone else's buzz slightly?

There's a fan in the Kinect and the system, but I cannot tell if there is one in the brick. Doesn't seem like it, though.

ekim

Yupp. The power brick has a fan.

madmackem

Yes theres a fan in the brick, im sure gamespot said so last week.

ekim

General question, if I live in Germany, could I still use the english (or whatever other) voice command setup? I think I read something about this not being possible, but I have no clue where or if I actually did.

You would also have to change your region. Selecting a language automatically filters the list of selectable regions. If you choose English, Germany won't appear in the region list.

bigswords

Guys if it's possible can someone just help me check. Does the xbox 360 slim power cable (the one from the power supply to the wall socket), can it fit into a Xbox one power supply?

Reason being, I got a xbox one console from Australia and the only difference is the power socket shape.

Y2Kev

Yupp. The power brick has a fan.

Ok, that is pretty funny. Lol.

I am thinking about my options....I don't want to unplug the thing every night. When I had one AC adapter break on my a few years ago for my DS, it emitted this electronic whining sound overnight and it was SO FAINT but I could hear it from like across the room. So I used to get up every night and unplug it.

I'm thinking I can put it in a cabinet and drill a hole in the back and hide it in there. How much heat could a power adapter really give off?

cripterion

Playing through Ryse campaign right now. While I'm loving it and enjoying myself I have to say MS and Crytek are filthy liars for saying this game had no cutscenes, all the cool stuff that we saw like assault on the beach thing are literally just FMV's :eek:
No wonder the game is big in GB.

ekim

I am thinking about my options....I don't want to unplug the thing every night. When I had one AC adapter break on my a few years ago for my DS, it emitted this electronic whining sound overnight and it was SO FAINT but I could hear it from like across the room. So I used to get up every night and unplug it.

I'm thinking I can put it in a cabinet and drill a hole in the back and hide it in there. How much heat could a power adapter really give off?

If you put it in energy saving mode, the brick shouldn't make any noise.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Maybe get a socket switch that's right before your entire entertainment center where it plugs in the wall? Just hit the switch and everything is completely silent.

I'm like you, I can't stand the high-pitched whine of idling electronics.
A soft hum from a ceiling fan or my PC? That's okay, but I can't sleep if something is emitting high frequency noise.

durden

"Books made me do it"
So my xbox one that i ordered from amazon.de is being delivered today. Since i live in the netherlands i googled what i could do etc. I read something by a mircosoft rep that i should not buy a german xbox because i would not be able to log in to xbl or the market place.

My questions dear gafers is.

How am i going to download my copy of fifa 14?
And how will i be able to buy stuff from the store.

I live in Switzerland, and imported one from the UK with Forza.
I just chose english as my language, then chose the US as my region. I then logged in with my regular xbox live account. For purchasing stuff, I could use Amazon.com to buy digital gift cards, where they email you the code. I just needed to set up an account with a US address/billing address and could still use my swiss credit card.
Then when I put in the gift card code the first time on the xbox, it asked me for my US address, details etc. After putting that in I can just buy the cards on Amazon instantly and then buy games no problem.
The Forza code included in the box just worked straight away.

This isn't me going crazy is it, but there is no default auto/log-in without Kinect plugged in?

Secondly, the suspend/resume thing for me just refuses to work although i guess it is a beta feature.

cheezcake

I'm having a nightmare of a time getting party chat to work

Whenever me or my friends try turning party chat on it says "We cannot turn on chat right now. Try again later"

Haven't got it working once.

bigswords

I live in Switzerland, and imported one from the UK with Forza.
I just chose english as my language, then chose the US as my region. I then logged in with my regular xbox live account. For purchasing stuff, I could use Amazon.com to buy digital gift cards, where they email you the code. I just needed to set up an account with a US address/billing address and could still use my swiss credit card.
Then when I put in the gift card code the first time on the xbox, it asked me for my US address, details etc. After putting that in I can just buy the cards on Amazon instantly and then buy games no problem.
The Forza code included in the box just worked straight away.

Another question how did you solve your socket issue? You used a socket converter or did you use your xbox 360 slim power cable?

Alright, time for a revolution. #BringBackTheGuide

There are a lot of things I love about the Xbox One, but the removal of the Xbox Guide in place of the App-fest is not among them. The Xbox Guide put all of your menu option into sub-menus under the guide button. Everything from achievements, profile, friends, etc where only one click away. With the removal of the guide, now you have to go home, find the friends app, launch the app, select friends, and FINALLY you can look at your friends. Not to mention a small amount of loading between each.

This isn't even the worst of it. You can't even invite people to games anymore. On 360 you could just hit the guide, scroll to your friend, and hit X. Now you have to do everything through the specific games menus. But what makes it worse is that some games will just invite random people in your party... you can't even select who the invite goes to!!!! Killer Instinct for example(Amazing game) when you set up a custom game, you select the Host/Invite option. After selecting this the game will randomly add someone from your party to the game. It doesn't even matter if the person has played the game or not. There is no way to select the friend you wanted the invite to go to.

This is just one example of how the removal of the guide has made everything more of a hassle. Achievements, friends, invites, messages, parties(wtf turn on party chat??), the list goes on. I understand if MS wants to keep the app look for the casuals, but they seriously need to make some of the menus more streamlined like the guide did.

/endrant

nynt9

Love Skype integration, damn it is nice, wish they would have had the snap Skype implemented though. Keep in mind that I have never ever experienced the Xbox's social features before so maybe these were all available on the 360 already.
The PS4 feels much less social now without Skype to me, especially since Skype and Whatsapp are the two main messaging services I use. I doubt it would ever get integration either since Microsoft owns Skype.

Also, is there no way to mute my Kinect only for in-game chat? I don't want to be talking to the person I am playing with and my Skype friends at the same time. :/

Sony confirmed Skype for PS4. However having xbox gold lets you skype group chat for free, which requires money on other platforms, I believe.

LowerLevel

Turn it upside down/rightside up? Serious question.

durden

"Books made me do it"
Another question how did you solve your socket issue? You used a socket converter or did you use your xbox 360 slim power cable?

I dont have a 360 slim so I just used a travel adaptor for the plug on the original cable. What is annoying though, is the Xbox would only work by being plugged directly in to the wall socket, it wouldn't turn on otherwise.

bigswords

I dont have a 360 slim so I just used a travel adaptor for the plug on the original cable. What is annoying though, is the Xbox would only work by being plugged directly in to the wall socket, it wouldn't turn on otherwise.

What why? You cant even use a multi adapter?

Lettuce

So what do you think the likelihood of us seeing a Apple TV/Vita TV sized 360 device to plug into the 'HDMI IN' port of the XB One in the next year or so, to allow backwards compatibility with the 360 games? I myself would be happy to lay down £80-100 for such a device!!

Kalm

If you put it in energy saving mode, the brick shouldn't make any noise.

Is that a menu option? How do I access it?

"Xbox, go to Settings"

-> Power & Startup (Bottom right icon)

--> Powder-mode: switch to Energy-Saving

I wouldn't recommend this though. You'll have to cold boot every time and you lose auto updates and downloads.

Leaving it on "Instant-On" and manually turning off the "Wake up Xbox by saying Xbox On" option was enough to get my brick to stop whirring in standby.

Bgamer90

Banned
Alright, time for a revolution. #BringBackTheGuide

There are a lot of things I love about the Xbox One, but the removal of the Xbox Guide in place of the App-fest is not among them. The Xbox Guide put all of your menu option into sub-menus under the guide button. Everything from achievements, profile, friends, etc where only one click away. With the removal of the guide, now you have to go home, find the friends app, launch the app, select friends, and FINALLY you can look at your friends. Not to mention a small amount of loading between each.

This isn't even the worst of it. You can't even invite people to games anymore. On 360 you could just hit the guide, scroll to your friend, and hit X. Now you have to do everything through the specific games menus. But what makes it worse is that some games will just invite random people in your party... you can't even select who the invite goes to!!!! Killer Instinct for example(Amazing game) when you set up a custom game, you select the Host/Invite option. After selecting this the game will randomly add someone from your party to the game. It doesn't even matter if the person has played the game or not. There is no way to select the friend you wanted the invite to go to.

This is just one example of how the removal of the guide has made everything more of a hassle. Achievements, friends, invites, messages, parties(wtf turn on party chat??), the list goes on. I understand if MS wants to keep the app look for the casuals, but they seriously need to make some of the menus more streamlined like the guide did.

/endrant

You can "snap" a lot of that stuff FYI.

Y2Kev

"Xbox, go to Settings"

-> Power & Startup (Bottom right icon)

--> Powder-mode: switch to Energy-Saving

I wouldn't recommend this though. You'll have to cold boot everytime and you lose auto updates and downloads.

Leaving it on "Instant-On" and manually turning off the "Wake up Xbox by saying Xbox On" option was enough to get my brick to stop whirring in standby.

It says it will still download updates in energy-saving. That doesn't seem so bad, but let me check out the xbox on option.

I think it worked by going into energy saving.

Edit: Never mind, I read it wrong. Still, I can't tolerate the buzzing so I'll have to forgo it, at least for now.

Kalm

It says it will still download updates in energy-saving. That doesn't seem so bad, but let me check out the xbox on option.

I think it worked by going into energy saving.

If you look closer, it's actually telling you what you're giving up by switching to energy-saving :p

"Choose instant-on to: ...."

Kalm

I really love the controller, so I was taking some pictures of it today and I realized it wobbles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EI5__JAVu0&feature=youtu.be

Does anyone else's do this or is it maybe how mine was made? It doesn't matter when you're hold it but I laughed a little.

Mine does too, mate.

I also have threatening IR leds flashing on the top, 24/7. I thought we weren't supposed to be able to see this stuff?

A fan in the power brick. That's sort of ingenious.

When I unboxed, I lol'd at how fancy the brick actually was. I almost felt bad as I shoved it unceremoniously behind my tv stand... :(

Anfony O

Does anyone here have trouble with Bf4. Sometimes when im in MP it just quits te game entriely and sends me back to the home screen.

Top Bottom