• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Walshicus

So just an update... Still can't get past the damn screen with the controller on it during initial setup. Tried everything I can think of doing to fix this, still no dice. Been waiting to talk to MS support for like an hour now... the average wait time just keeps going up. Fucking lame. :/ And it appears like I'm the ONLY person in the effing world with this issue, if Google is any indication. >_>

For reference, here is my original post:

I am so bummed out.
Did you press the A button on the controller? Is it definitely synched to that XB1?

Anyone having audio issues after returning from standby? Willing to assume it's my receiver.

Audio seems to cut out sporadically or not work at all after waking from standby. All I have to do is go back to settings and toggle to a different hdmi audio output type so I'm assuming it's either a software bug or some "handshaking"-ish issue with my receiver. Video works fine.

God this system is great overall. Still some OS kinks that need to be worked out but I'm extremely happy so far.

Hammer24

Banned
Yes it can change channels and stuff just fine. Just not receiving audio.

I've decided the Xbox One just hates my receiver. I was able to get a picture by booting into low-res safe mode and was even able to adjust it in settings up to 720p but at 1080p it just craps out. 1080p works fine when connected directly to the TV, and I've never had another device that this receiver wouldn't display.

Ugh, I don't want to have to buy another receiver just for this fucking thing.

Have you tried separating the signals? Try an optical cable for the sound from X1 to the AV, see if that's better.

The only problem I'm seeing is some random Wi-Fi troubles when booting it up. Sometimes it seems to take several minutes to actually bother to connect to my router. I don't think it's hardware, it doesn't drop once it's connected, it has no trouble detecting available networks, and I can go into settings and manually connect right away without waiting. It's like it's not even trying.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I guess with the potential number of friends you can have being in the thousands, having a notification whenever one gets online simply doesn't make sense. It would be an endless notification stream.

Ok, why don't we get notifications when friends get online? Seems like a weird thing to take away.

They should make it so that if you have less than 100 friends or so you can turn it on.

Or have a favorites list and for those people you get a notification.

Why does the power brick make an annoying humming sound even though the xbox is shut down? It sounds like a PC that is sitting idle

I had the same problem and someone helped me. There's two options in the power settings, instant on and power saving. When you use instant on it allows standby mode for quick boot up, boot up by kinect and auto-downloads, but it also adds an additional 10w of power to the system in standby which triggers the power brick's fan to stay on 24/7 with that annoying humming.

If you change it to power saving mode it will fully power down the console when shutdown and the power brick will shut off as well (no fan). The downside to this mode is you can't use kinect to boot up, no auto-downloads and boot up takes longer.

I personally disabled standby and used power saving because the damn power brick was louder than the system itself :/

harSon

Banned
Kinect voice commands are legit as fuck once you become familiar with the vernacular. Microsoft did a freaking terrible job of teaching XB1 users these commands though. It's infinitely faster than operating the UI with a controller of some sort, and it's pretty much 100% accurate from what I've tested thus far.

Kalm

Does voice work extremely well for anyone else? Once you learn the terminology, it works like 95% of the time.

For me, as well. I think the main thing is that you really have to kickstart the system with the "Xbox," command and let it register for a second before diving in.

Watching Jeff from GB trying to get it to work was painful: "Xboxgotomygames" ...smh. "Xbox, go to my games" works for me 100% of the time so far.

A lot of the things I've read in the last week have been wildly different than what I've actually experienced today, actually.

The 12 second boot from standby that was reported by everyone is more like 2 to 3 seconds on my machine. Maybe it depends on how many apps/games you have running when you shut it down?

If you change it to power saving mode it will fully power down the console when shutdown and the power brick will shut off as well (no fan). The downside to this mode is you can't use kinect to boot up, no auto-downloads and boot up takes longer.

I personally disabled standby and used power saving because the damn power brick was louder than the system itself :/

Have you tried leaving the power setting on it's default mode and just disabling Kinect Listening?

This way, you don't lose the standby boot times or the auto downloads but it might lower the power draw.

I've had mine set this way all day and there is zero sound coming from the brick.

Forza 5 is pretty much proof that this 1080p 60fps bullshit is exactly that. The lighting is nice but that's about it. On the tracks with grey weather I'd almost think it's current last gen. Black Flag impressed me far more and it's 720p 30fps.

I'll take graphic effects and whatnot over some arbitrary bar of quality that GAF seems to have defined, thanks.

Kalm

Does anyone know how to view the XBL statistics that we saw in one of the UI demo clips?

The page where you can see exactly how many people are playing each game online.

Forza 5 is pretty much proof that this 1080p 60fps bullshit is exactly that. The lighting is nice but that's about it. On the tracks with grey weather I'd almost think it's current last gen. Black Flag impressed me far more and it's 720p 30fps.

I'll take graphic effects and whatnot over some arbitrary bar of quality that GAF seems to have defined, thanks.

Black flag is not 720p

Anyone know why the system would switch login accounts on its on volition?

I was sitting next to my brother playing KI under his account... and suddenly it switched mid match to my account/profile. No prompt, it just switched and kicked the game back to the start menu.

these are launch titles, bro. Forza 5 isn't exactly a game with assets made for nextgen with all technology built for nextgen.

come back around Forza 6 or 7.

If you're playing on an LCD then you'll never appreciate the true majesty that is 60fps.

Krelian

Just wanted to share my experience after a first day with Xbox One. Was at a friend's house, we both ordered Day One editions so we set up our consoles side by side. It was an interesting experiment.

Both Kinects would recognize commands at the same time. When someone said "Xbox, go to Skype" it would start Skype on both consoles. All in all voice commands were only recognized 50% of the time though. Not sure if it was a Kinect calibration problem, a problem with two Kinects in the same room or something else. "Show my stuff" only kinda works. It would show stuff but often only the stuff of the person whose stuff was already there. Not sure what the problem here was again (only one console was running for that test).

The controller is amazing. It feels and works great and is an improvement on the already great Xbox 360 controller. Definitely my favorite controller yet. I haven't had a chance to try out a DS4 though.

We only had two games to test: Battlefield 4 and Powershot Golf. Battlefield looks really good and it feels very smooth. It crashed a lot but at least you go back to your home screen when a game crashes. Now I know we arrived at the next generation ;)
Powershot Golf was fun but we were too tired when we tried it so I can't say that much about it.

I love this thing already. A little bummed that voice doesn't seem to work but I'm positive it will work better once it's set up at my place.

BradC00

It crashed a lot but at least you go back to your home screen when a game crashes. Now I know we arrived at the next generation ;)

this is definitely a nasty (in a good way) idea. disappointed that they haven't fixed the crashing from 360/PC/PS3/PS4 versions, but i'm sure they'll patch it as fast as they can.

Kinect voice commands are legit as fuck once you become familiar with the vernacular. Microsoft did a freaking terrible job of teaching XB1 users these commands though. It's infinitely faster than operating the UI with a controller of some sort, and it's pretty much 100% accurate from what I've tested thus far.

Yea, accuracy hasn't been an issue at all, not sure where the complaints were coming from prior to launch

Love Skype integration, damn it is nice, wish they would have had the snap Skype implemented though. Keep in mind that I have never ever experienced the Xbox's social features before so maybe these were all available on the 360 already.
The PS4 feels much less social now without Skype to me, especially since Skype and Whatsapp are the two main messaging services I use. I doubt it would ever get integration either since Microsoft owns Skype.

Also, is there no way to mute my Kinect only for in-game chat? I don't want to be talking to the person I am playing with and my Skype friends at the same time. :/

Kajiba

So just an update... Still can't get past the damn screen with the controller on it during initial setup. Tried everything I can think of doing to fix this, still no dice. Been waiting to talk to MS support for like an hour now... the average wait time just keeps going up. Fucking lame. :/ And it appears like I'm the ONLY person in the effing world with this issue, if Google is any indication. >_>

For reference, here is my original post:

I am so bummed out.

I forgot to post about this when this happen to me and was stuck at that controller screen because my controller was not synced for some reason. I turned off my system and removed the batteries from controller. I turn the system back on and put the batteries back in while it was on the green screen. When the controller picture pops up only hit the guide button don't hold it. That help for me for some reason.

-PXG-

Xbox On command magically started working for me, finally. Now I can turn this bitch on when I get home from work. Turns my TV on too :D

One of biggest irks is the party chat. You go into to a party and then have to turn party chat on. What gives? I've had to explain to a lot of friends (very clumsily at that) how to make it so we could hear each other. It's a really bizarre hoop to have to jump through, but once in a party, the sound quality is very good.

I figured out how to pin stuff too. I wish MS did a better job explaining the UI, how to navigate it and how it works. The system has a ton of great features, but it's not very organized and it does a poor job and teaching you how to use it. There is a slight learning curve and you will have to get used to it. Adding to that, they should have included a voice command cheat sheet with the system.

Again, once you get yourself situated and learn the ropes, it's an incredibly robust, feature rich system. The menus are quick and snappy and Kinect responds to my voice nearly perfectly every single time.

EDIT

Oh, it goes without saying how painfully long installs are. God damn. I have friends who are HARDCORE Xbox fanboys and they are livid. They don't like the fact that they have to wait to install shit. It makes it even worse when I tell them how fast PS4 installs are. I mean, last night, I installed Ryse, right? It told me it was done, I start the game and then it hits me with another, in-game, install screen. Kinda shitty, but in a funny way.

malfcn

My power brick likes to whine too. Even tried turning off Kinect listening.
And when the Xbox is off it makes clicking steady clicking sounds, and every now and then it randomly spins up and makes funny sounds.

Anyone else?
I took a video of it to try and capture audio.
Where can I upload it?

Hoo-doo

Banned
My power brick likes to whine too. Even tried turning off Kinect listening.
And when the Xbox is off it makes clicking steady clicking sounds, and every now and then it randomly spins up and makes funny sounds.

Anyone else?
I took a video of it to try and capture audio.
Where can I upload it?

There's this small indie website, perfect for uploading video.

I think it was called, WeTube.. YouView or something.. Oh that's right! It's Youtube.

Tomcat

Ok, why don't we get notifications when friends get online? Seems like a weird thing to take away.

probably because now you can have over 1000 friends. Imagine someone with such a number of friends. It would be annoying seeing all of them poping online.

Marvel

could never
BF4/COD Ghosts just arrived. Now I need to wait for Xbox One consoles to come back in stock. I hope it won't be too long.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
As someone who just set their system up and have two ginormous downloads queued, how do I enter standby so they keep downloading?

ufo8mycat

Have only played a few games so far
Dead Rising 3 is pretty fun - damn so many zombies!

NBA 2K14 - Wow - I literally thought I was watching an NBA game, Really need to train up on moves/plays etc, but very impressed.

Controller feels good -
-Triggers are an improvement. Feel that they are now angled a bit to fit with your index finger
- Bumpers are an improvement also and closer to the triggers. Now I can just glide my index finger across.
- Analog sticks seem a bit loose to me, but I guess I can adjust to this. Have no problems with the actual sticks being smaller

XBONE UI
- It's okay I guess. I feel that it's really 'busy' and cluttered. With so many sub-menus/sub-sections here and there.

I honestly prefer the PS4 UI a lot more. It's just much more simple, cleaner, slick and less cluttered. More organised

I also prefer the Trophy layout section a lot more on PS4, then the XBONE Achievements section.

Tomcat

Xbox On command magically started working for me, finally. Now I can turn this bitch on when I get home from work. Turns my TV on too :D

One of biggest irks is the party chat. You go into to a party and then have to turn party chat on. What gives? I've had to explain to a lot of friends (very clumsily at that) how to make it so we could hear each other. It's a really bizarre hoop to have to jump through, but once in a party, the sound quality is very good.

I figured out how to pin stuff too. I wish MS did a better job explaining the UI, how to navigate it and how it works. The system has a ton of great features, but it's not very organized and it does a poor job and teaching you how to use it. There is a slight learning curve and you will have to get used to it. Adding to that, they should have included a voice command cheat sheet with the system.

Again, once you get yourself situated and learn the ropes, it's an incredibly robust, feature rich system. The menus are quick and snappy and Kinect responds to my voice nearly perfectly every single time.

EDIT

Oh, it goes without saying how painfully long installs are. God damn. I have friends who are HARDCORE Xbox fanboys and they are livid. They don't like the fact that they have to wait to install shit. It makes it even worse when I tell them how fast PS4 installs are. I mean, last night, I installed Ryse, right? It told me it was done, I start the game and then it hits me with another, in-game, install screen. Kinda shitty, but in a funny way.

I think the OS of the Xbox has the same problems like the windows 8 had. Once 8.1 was out then all clicked. I believe we will see a similar pattern here too.

cripterion

Too bad there's no way to switch Hdmi inputs with Kinect since I can't enjoy the tv features cause it's integrated in my tv, doesn't come from a box.

But anyways, woke up this morning, said xbox on and worked flawlessly, launched twitch and watching a dota2 stream now from my bed and didn't fucking pick my controller yet :D
Yesterday was definitely setup day and I'll be playing more today since I got all my games installed and updated. Pleasantly surprised with fifa14, plays like a dream, French commentary is great, gameplay solid, only the faces of players is sucky, especially when you come off 2k14 lol.

Oh and my biggest fear was not being able to play my games in English but it's actually fairly easy to just switch regions, and then you get the change ingame. I hope it's stuff they include in new settings for a future update though, like they also need to make their install/update process more comprehensive cause people without patience will be freaking out on the first day with their console. Experience can only improve onward.
So yeah, yesterday was a good day and definitely no ass storm for me.

Edit : haha this fucking guy here on twitch playing Dota2 while listening to pearl jam's black

RyudBoy

Question: Will the console continue downloading/installing a game if I put it in standby mode? I'm sleepy as hell but Forza is only at 7%.

Dosia

Played Killer Instinct a little last night and it was fun. Voice commands worked well for the most part aside from Xbox On. I have to say it like 10 times for it to actually work for some reason.

Was a bit dissapointed in the degradation in picture quality for the tv, so i decided the xbox will just be used for games at the moment. I am usually a bit over the top with picture and sound quality but my wife even noticed it. I look forward to playing with it a bit more this weekend.

Woffls

Question: Will the console continue downloading/installing a game if I put it in standby mode? I'm sleepy as hell but Forza is only at 7%.
Pretty sure it downloads while asleep as i left a bunch downloading earlier, came back, and they were all done. Not sure about install.

ViciousDS

Banned
Just got the ultimate bundle from gamestop because I couldn't find the damn system anywhere else.

Includes 6 games, years worth of Xbl, a play and charge kit and an extra controller for over $1k due to taxes. Will be on my doorstep Monday.

Will be selling the 3 cross platforms on eBay though because I don't want them.

abracadaver

Depends on the standby mode. In low power mode it doesnt download. And it doesnt finish downloads and goes into standby either like the 360 did.
To finish downloads you have to use the sleep mode where kinect always listens.

Leonsito

Don't tell anyone, but I'm having a blast with Ryse.

And I find more useful navigate the UI with my voice, however there is one thing I cannot found, my download list window (if it exists...)

Man, after the arduous process of downloading/installing Dead Rising 3 and Crimson Dragon, I was questioning my commitment to going all digital or, at least, mostly digital. Those two took for-fucking-ever for no apparent reason while I had world record download and install times for both Ryse and Killer Instinct as well as getting and installing the day one updates. Other than that, I am super impressed with the admittedly still in-beta dashboard. Damn, this shit feel next-gen compared to setting up and playing my PS4 last week. Still lots of little odds and ends to cover, but this is what I was mostly hoping for in a next-gen console feel. Kinect works for me better than ninety percent of the time and the benefits of digital are impressive. Fucking love the controller, too, especially when I was anticipating some issues with the mixed opinions on the bumpers. I can tell that XBOX will again be my main console without much serious contention for that placing until Sony steps up. I cannot imagine how much better both of these systems will be in a few years' time, much less by the end of their lifespans when it comes to the evolution of the software and how they will be taken advantage of. Feeling more positive about next-gen, even if I need more next-gen software to make it stick.

Omiee

So my xbox one that i ordered from amazon.de is being delivered today. Since i live in the netherlands i googled what i could do etc. I read something by a mircosoft rep that i should not buy a german xbox because i would not be able to log in to xbl or the market place.

My questions dear gafers is.

How am i going to download my copy of fifa 14?
And how will i be able to buy stuff from the store.

Top Bottom