• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

I wish there was a voice tutorial. Like, sometime I get some commands to come up in apps, but they disappear because I don't choose fast enough and I can't figure out how to get those back.

Chitown B

I wish there was a voice tutorial. Like, sometime I get some commands to come up in apps, but they disappear because I don't choose fast enough and I can't figure out how to get those back.

There is.

Try the Speech Tutorial app...

xbox one dashboard -
You may only use it once, but if you'd like a quick introduction to the range of voice commands available via Kinect, the Speech Tutorial download is a good place to start. Available from the App Store, Speech Tutorial is free and won't take up too much space on your hard drive, but it can provide some helpful tips on navigating the Xbox One interface with your voice.

Haklong

Microsoft support said the power supply is supposed to be silent. Said id either have to pay to ship the PSU to them to replace it or return the xbone to the retailer I bought it from.

Motherfuck, ill return it but they wont have any to replace it with god fucking damnit.

First time Ive ever had an issue with a launch console.

Mine makes a slight sound if I get closer to it. Are you saying that Microsoft says it should be dead silent? Is it like that for everyone else?

I've tried multiple cables and ports, nothing works.

Ugh, that sucks.

malfcn

I think the power supply may be too loud to leave it on standby all the time.
Also, there was a buzzing type of sound from the console when I turned it off/standby.

Ran it for about 10 hours straight Day One.

I'm having some issues with the bumpers to, which I'm crediting to the fact that I'm unable to play games with both the index and the Middle fingers on top of the controller (I only play with the index and alternate between trigger and bumper). This controller seems made for people which play with both on top.

Nothing that I'm worried, though. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. Specially when the rest of it feels completely amazing.
The first time I used the Xbone controller, I had the same issue. I really did not like the bumpers.
But now I am adjusting to how the controller is designed to push the bumpers, and it feels great.

I'm guessing you usually take your finger off the trigger to press the bumper?
Try keeping your finger on the trigger, and just rolling it to press the bumper.
Here is a video I found that clearly shows the method I'm trying to describe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF-smJELJ4A

gogojira

Pretty good launch day for me. Had a lot of fun with KI and Dead Rising (what very little I played), and Battlefield is Battlefield. I will say this though, BF4 in multi looks kind of shit.

I might have to scoop up NBA2K14 because I need a game that screams next gen and I don't feel like I have it with my current crop of games (though BF4 single player is pretty nice). If only Ryse had scored better, I suppose.

mmitt

is there any downside in choosing a different region? does that even work? :)
voice commands aren't available here in austria, so I'd like to get it working that way...
do I lose access to the store or my account if I choose, for example, en-US?

Anyone know how to double check downloaded content on the Xbox one? I wanted to make sure my preorder codes for AC4 were downloaded to the console before playing.

madmackem

I think the ui is a bit of a mess, its makes simple things harder than on the 360 dash, things like leaving party are more of a chore than they should be.

Wookieomg

So just an update... Still can't get past the damn screen with the controller on it during initial setup. Tried everything I can think of doing to fix this, still no dice. Been waiting to talk to MS support for like an hour now... the average wait time just keeps going up. Fucking lame. :/ And it appears like I'm the ONLY person in the effing world with this issue, if Google is any indication. >_>

For reference, here is my original post:

GAF I need your help! I turned on my Xbox One, got past the green screen, and am currently stuck at the screen that has the controller with the pulsing xbox button on it. My controller is turned on, the system is turned on, everything is powered up... But I can't seem to get past this screen no matter what I do. I'm really hoping it's just a simple error on my part, and not something more dire.

Curiously, if I touched the power button on the Xbox One to power down while my controller was powered on, the system would just restart itself. Powering down the controller first, then powering down the system allowed me to do a full shutdown... But even if I start the system with the controller, that screen still appears. I tried syncing the controller to the system as well... But no dice. Please tell me I'm missing something obvious here. ;_;

I am so bummed out.

RyudBoy

So I just finished with messing around on my XBone and all I can say is that Kinect works flawless for me so far. Every voice command was recognized without an issue. I spoke very soft because it's late and it still worked. I don't see what the hell was the problem with the guys at IGN but my shit works like a charm.

Anyway, downloading KI. Time to fuck shit up for a bit before sleep.

There is.

Try the Speech Tutorial app...

xbox one dashboard -
You may only use it once, but if you'd like a quick introduction to the range of voice commands available via Kinect, the Speech Tutorial download is a good place to start. Available from the App Store, Speech Tutorial is free and won't take up too much space on your hard drive, but it can provide some helpful tips on navigating the Xbox One interface with your voice.

Awesome, thanks. Will have to check that out.

The one thing I have noticed it has difficulty doing for me is switching between profiles via voice. So when my son says 'Xbox show my stuff' and it is on my screen, it doesn't actually switch to his. Same with me when his is up.

HokieJoe

Ugh, I think my Day One console is busted. I was noticing white flickering pixels all over dark screens and often it seems to have trouble sending a picture to the screen despite hearing audio. Normally I'd just swap at Amazon but how does this work with a Day One console?

Listen to Dopey Fish. HDMI cables aren't very robust and cheaply made ones sometimes don't meet HDMI's tight signaling requirements. A sufficient kink or crimp can render them useless.

how strange, did the main update fast and perfectly no problems, played some games. Woke up today and decided to play a BD film, downloaded the tiny 30mb update it needed, it restarted and went to the xbox one green screen and its just stuck there.

So just an update... Still can't get past the damn screen with the controller on it during initial setup. Tried everything I can think of doing to fix this, still no dice. Been waiting to talk to MS support for like an hour now... the average wait time just keeps going up. Fucking lame. :/ And it appears like I'm the ONLY person in the effing world with this issue, if Google is any indication. >_>

I am so bummed out.

Did you connect the controller coa micro USB? I HAD to do that in order to get past it

I am so bummed out.

did u try this?

http://eternalelir.tumblr.com/post/67815362157/how-to-update-your-xbox-one-via-usb

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I am so bummed out.

I had this issue too. I restarted the Xbox and that worked for me on the first try :/

SegaShack

Does anyone else's Xbox have that really strong new product smell? My entire room smells like it now, I love it, nothing too strong but it's definitely there. I haven't had this positive of a day one experience with any system I've ever purchased. I love this thing, KI and Forza are amazing and knowing that I can get DR3 or BF4 if I want is great. Also Titanfall is right around the corner.

Nah, they don't have names for separate shows

So when you say Xbox select... wait and a bunch of popups show up

So if you wanted to watch ghost dad and its on screen, it may have Select 7 as the call out.

You can navigate through the app with just voice as you would on controller, unless you are looking for something specific.

Obviously best for browsing or playing from recently played stuff.

I think you need to pause between "Xbox Select" and anything else. Think of "Xbox Select" as a separate command like "ok, now I want you to listen to everything I say from now on, until I tell you to stop or time runs out"

Thank you both for the information. I needed that next gen Ghost Dad experience.

I've been playing around with mine all night long and this is my review so far.

Set up with quick and easy. I didn't have to do any restarting like I've seen some people online say and I was done and downloading my Xbox Live profile in under 20 minutes.

The first game I played was Ryse. Holy shit I love this game. It's beautiful and I find the combat addicting. I have the difficulty on Centurion (2nd hardest) and when you get into the flow of combat, Marius moves seamlessly and it's very pleasing to build up combos, by blocking and attacking dozens of barbarians. If you're worrying about Xbox One games being at 900p in the future, the only thing I thought of while playing was how amazing it looked. I give the game a 8/10. Love it.

The one thing I don't like so far is the time to completely install a game. If you have a lot of downloads/installs queued behind a disk installation, it's going to be a wait. It's not too bad since you can start playing in under 5 minutes.

The second game I played was Forza 5. Like Ryse it's VERY good looking. A problem I've had with past racing games (including all previous Forzas) is the lacking the feeling of speed. When you're in a McLaren going almost 200 mph with other racers, it's make you nervous, just like real racing should be.

I also played around with the TV and UI stuff the most. The rumor going on before launch that snap was broken is complete and utter bullshit. I love snapping TV while on IE, playing a game or just messing around in a few other apps and switching between them is extremely quick and easy. I'm so glad I can use the OneGuide and give a big fucking middle finger to the Time Warner cable box guide piece of slow shit. The OneGuide is quick and well laid out.

With voice commands, I'm having around an 80% success rate. When saying commands like "Xbox, go home" or "Xbox, snap" it's almost 100%. The only times I had problems was in the OneGuide. I'd say "Xbox, watch ABC" and it go to NBC. Nothing TOO egregious and I expect them to fine tune it in the future.

Onto the controller. I was extremely nervous about this one since I heard people talking about looser sticks, problems with the bumpers and worse ergonomics. After using it, I think it's perfect. To everyone worrying about loose sticks, fear not. The sticks are almost the same as the 360's. It's definitely no wear near DS3 levels like I was worrying about. The d-pad is fantastic. When you use it, it clicks and is very satisfying. Over all, I think made the 360 controller even better, which is shocking to me because I thought that the 360's controller was the best ever. Not anymore.

I didn't get a chance to play around with the Kinect's motion controls or Kinect Sports. I did set up my wife's XBL profile with mine and auto recognition and sign-in works as advertised. When she would walk into the living room the Kinect would recognize her and sign her in along side my profile. After I played Ryse for a bit she wanted to start a game and when I handed her the controller the game went over to her profile right away. Very cool stuff.

Right now I'm downloading Killer Instinct and Xbox Fitness so I'll definitely post my thoughts on those games as well as other stuff I didn't get to tonight. But if any people are out there on the fence about Xbox One. No worries, it's an amazing system!

Does voice work extremely well for anyone else? Once you learn the terminology, it works like 95% of the time.

I havent even done the calibration and yet it works almost every single time. Problem for me is I have 2 XB1's side by side in the living room and they both respond to any command my wife or I give. I wish there was a way to get the kinects to only respond to a specific voice. Outside of that the consoles are pretty much perfect imo.

Listen to Dopey Fish. HDMI cables aren't very robust and cheaply made ones sometimes don't meet HDMI's tight signaling requirements. A sufficient kink or crimp can render them useless.

It wasn't the cable. I had to unplug the Xbox One which I guess resulted in a full shut down before I could get it to come back up again. Hope it's a bug and not my console.

I havent even done the calibration and yet it works almost every single time. Problem for me is I have 2 XB1's side by side in the living room and they both respond to any command my wife or I give. I wish there was a way to get the kinects to only respond to a specific voice. Outside of that the consoles are pretty much perfect imo.

We were discussing that possibility of that today. Much like in the case that you're using the mic to play co-op with your friend(s) and say a command which might be carried on by their Xbone's. Maybe it could be a future update/feature?

We were discussing that possibility of that today. Much like in the case that you're using the mic to play co-op with your friend(s) and say a command which might be carried on by their Xbone's. Maybe it could be a future update/feature?

I hope they do update it at somepoint. I am worried it might be to niche of a case for them to worry about though.

I really hate the auto play that's in Netflix. I have no option to select an certain episode or to start from the beginning of an episode.

Edit: is there a way to force close an app?

Hammer24

Banned
First person to answer the following question gets a free mystery game code.

Q: What creature is has its glands milked for the Baron Harkonnen's pleasure in David Lynch's masterpiece, Dune?

A cat of course!

Ah man, show some love to the dirty peasants on the other side of the planet, that do sleep when you post :(

Daffy Duck

If my console is not in the power save state and is actually off, how the hell do I turn it on?

I've pressed the logo on the front and it does nothing but turn on for one second then off.

Pressing the controller home button does nothing.

SegaShack

Anyone know how to double check downloaded content on the Xbox one? I wanted to make sure my preorder codes for AC4 were downloaded to the console before playing.

Go To "My Games and Apps" it will show everything on your HDD, downloading, installing, already installed, etc and the percentages.

Top Bottom