• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I love it. I agree with Stinkles that it's underrated. It has two starting characters and four unlockable through play, with multiple outfits for each. Two caddies. All characters have a special ability including stuff like a distance boost, a magnetized hole, MIRV balls, etc.

Four 18-hole courses. It plays like Hot Shots Golf. A lot like Hot Shots. For me, that's a good thing, but if you prefer a more realistic swing model, this is not the game for you. It's the straight up HSGolf three-press swing. Like HSGolf, it has wind speed, elevation, driving/putting surface, complex greens, etc.

RPG-like level progression, with XP awarded for breaking your and your friends's records. Instant gratification for great shots, as it takes a film clip and posts it directly to your feed.

It's reskinned Hot Shots Golf with social gaming features, and it costs $20. BF4, Forza 5, and Dead Rising 3 are all waiting for me to get burned out on this game.

Edit: Most notable exception? No online multiplayer, which is a crime against nature and man. I presume it will arrive at some point as DLC.

Does the IAP bug you? I've been on the fence about this game but as you know I'm an absolute die-hard HSG fan. Does it copy homing/spiral shots too? I'd be sad without at least my super spin.

Lima

Hey man,saw you mentioned you removed the fan from the psu. Could you please tell me how to actually open/remove the cover once I've removed the screw (there's only one, right)?

Thanks

Uhm no. You have to pop the 4 rubber feet, under that are 4 Torx T10H security screws. Then once you got these out you can take off the upper half of the PSU and use a small Philips to get the fan out. It has 3 screws.

Make sure to not touch the black capacitors, otherwise this will be the last we hard from you on GAF.

zou

Uhm no. You have to pop the 4 rubber feet, under that are 4 Torx T10H security screws. Then once you got these out you can take off the upper half of the PSU and use a small Philips to get the fan out. It has 3 screws.

Make sure to not touch the black capacitors, otherwise this will be the last we hard from you on GAF.

Thanks, actually figured it out after watching people take apart the 360 psu. What threw me off initially was that the other three caps wouldn't budge at all and I though they might not be covering anything at all. So I had to dig in and pretty much destroyed the rubber feet trying to get them off. But after that the unit came apart easy.

Regarding the fan, is there a particular reason you took it out? I just disconnected the power for now but left it inside.

And yeah, huge difference. Standby is actually completely silent now, when running it's quieter than it was in standby mode before (or rather, it's not as annoying as the little fan whirling about). And the PSU is barely warmer.

So thanks :)

Lima

Thanks, actually figured it out after watching people take apart the 360 psu. What threw me off initially was that the other three caps wouldn't budge at all and I though they might not be covering anything at all. So I had to dig in and pretty much destroyed the rubber feet trying to get them off. But after that the unit came apart easy.

Regarding the fan, is there a particular reason you took it out? I just disconnected the power for now but left it inside.

And yeah, huge difference. Standby is actually completely silent now, when running it's quieter than it was in standby mode before (or rather, it's not as annoying as the little fan whirling about). And the PSU is barely warmer.

So thanks :)

I figured that if I take it out completely there is more space in the PSU and since it has grills on both sides there is more place for air going in and out.

RangersFan

Is anyone else's kinect starting to get worse at recognizing commands? First few days "XBox-Turn Off-Yes" worked just fine, now it doesn't recognize "yes" at all and just lingers at the confirmations screen for me.

Darkener2

Is anyone else's kinect starting to get worse at recognizing commands? First few days "XBox-Turn Off-Yes" worked just fine, now it doesn't recognize "yes" at all and just lingers at the confirmations screen for me.

I noticed that too... but more so to recognizing "Xbox" which is odd... I sometimes have to yell for it to even understand me. :(

Lima

It is kinda weird indeed. I had to do setup for Kinect again after receiving my replacement console yesterday. Now I did it the same way with the volume at the max it would allow. Voice commands work fine even when playing Ryse and NFS at the brutal volume levels I enjoy but to get the Xbox On command to work I have to go close up to the Kinect and almost whisper it into the camera.

EvB

I'm going away on a work trip with a colleague and he suggested that I bring my new Shiny Xbox.

I can barely fit it all in my large hand luggage case.

cilonen

Does the IAP bug you? I've been on the fence about this game but as you know I'm an absolute die-hard HSG fan. Does it copy homing/spiral shots too? I'd be sad without at least my super spin.

Man, you just bought back memories. I was only thinking the other day about how I needed a PS4 HSG and now you have to go and remind me about importing the Japanese version of the PS3 HSG at launch and being whooped online by tons of Japanese folk laughing at the crazy gaijins.

That was some fun online :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man, you just bought back memories. I was only thinking the other day about how I needed a PS4 HSG and now you have to go and remind me about importing the Japanese version of the PS3 HSG at launch and being whooped online by tons of Japanese folk laughing at the crazy gaijins.

That was some fun online :)
Yep! Funny thing is I've been playing HSG OOB on Vita again recently since I went on a long plane trip that got me back into the Vita after many many months away. Got all the awards in Challenge mode so pretty content now. Maybe will try this game out. I'm dying for a new HSG though. Not that I'd be crazy happy about it, but with the IAP model that exists today they could monetize the crap out of HSG, especially if they went back to the old model of having a billion outfits and accessories that modified your stats in different ways. As long as there was a legit way to earn them I wouldn't mind.

/animu-golf digression

no angel

Yep! Funny thing is I've been playing HSG OOB on Vita again recently since I went on a long plane trip that got me back into the Vita after many many months away. Got all the awards in Challenge mode so pretty content now. Maybe will try this game out. I'm dying for a new HSG though. Not that I'd be crazy happy about it, but with the IAP model that exists today they could monetize the crap out of HSG, especially if they went back to the old model of having a billion outfits and accessories that modified your stats in different ways. As long as there was a legit way to earn them I wouldn't mind.

/animu-golf digression

Although I'm not far in the IAPs aren't rammed in your face and as far as I can tell they're not necessary for progression. I downloaded it really just to have something to play whilst my physical discs did their 3 hour install routine and I'm really glad I did. It's good fun and as previously mentioned shamelessly rips of most of the good HSG mechanics (no homing or super spends that I've seen yet though him afraid).

It really could do with a proper online multiplayer mode though.

RangersFan

It is kinda weird indeed. I had to do setup for Kinect again after receiving my replacement console yesterday. Now I did it the same way with the volume at the max it would allow. Voice commands work fine even when playing Ryse and NFS at the brutal volume levels I enjoy but to get the Xbox On command to work I have to go close up to the Kinect and almost whisper it into the camera.

what happened with your first console. also "xbox on" has never worked for me ever. does it have to be in standby or something?

Alx

what happened with your first console. also "xbox on" has never worked for me ever. does it have to be in standby or something?

Yes, "Xbox on" only works to wake up from standby, you can't use voice commands to start a cold boot (since when it's off, it can't hear anything)

JaggedSac

Same here

Why was I led to believe that Ryse was nothing, but QTE? You activate it manually. Combat is definitely simple, but there is depth to this. Story has been good so far,and the graphics are amazing. I expect anext gen AC to look like this. Game should not received nothing less than a 7.

Timu

So I just got Forza 5 and it's installing, it says Ready to Start, but when I click on it, nothing happens, just that sound, no letting me play it or anything like that, is that suppose to happen? Or should I just wait until it reaches 100%

Also bought Ryse for 50 bucks on Amazon.

Bsigg12

Idk if anyone has said it but do a full power cycle. Set the power to energy saving, power off, wait for the brick to show yellow, unplug The brick wait for it have no light then plug it back in. It seems to clear something out and Kinect starts working better.

JaggedSac

Idk if anyone has said it but do a full power cycle. Set the power to energy saving, power off, wait for the brick to show yellow, unplug The brick wait for it have no light then plug it back in. It seems to clear something out and Kinect starts working better.

Does it stay working better?

besada

Banned
It replaces homing/spiral stuff with the special powers. So, instead of homing, Reiko has a magnetized cup, that attracts the ball. The IAP doesn't bug me. There's generally plenty of cash to buy booster packs, with the exception of the very highest rated boosters. I'm early enough in the game that they seem very expensive, but that may change as I progress.

xkramz

Twitch app on Xbox one is such a freaking troll. If you're watching a channel long enough it would kick you out saying the stream has ended. Which is obviously wrong. You press B and go back into the same channel only to get another ad. What if twitch is intentionally kicking you out the channel to get baco in it to get another ad for ad revenue? Just a conspiracy...but it's been happening since day one to me.

parasight

Twitch app on Xbox one is such a freaking troll. If you're watching a channel long enough it would kick you out saying the stream has ended. Which is obviously wrong. You press B and go back into the same channel only to get another ad. What if twitch is intentionally kicking you out the channel to get baco in it to get another ad for ad revenue? Just a conspiracy...but it's been happening since day one to me.

Yeah this kept happening to me.

Question: I saw some cool app on the UI that tracks the number of people playing the top like 10 games... anyone have a video or name of that app?

I love stat tracking stuff like that, anyone know the numbers currently?

So I just got Forza 5 and it's installing, it says Ready to Start, but when I click on it, nothing happens, just that sound, no letting me play it or anything like that, is that suppose to happen? Or should I just wait until it reaches 100%

Also bought Ryse for 50 bucks on Amazon.
FM5 wouldn't play for me until i hit 14% installation. The massive 6GB patch is included in that 14%.

Doffen

I really hope Microsoft will have to fight to get traction with Xbox One.
Could bring us back to the golden games age of Xbox OG and Xbox 360.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

yes, this exactly. everything works but the confirmation to turn off. odd.

I've had mine for a few days now.

Disc drive is broken, but they are sending me a new console and they gave me a downloadable code for Ryse. I detailed that experience earlier in the thread. It took me a day and a half to download Ryse's 47gigs, but I enjoy the game and it is gorgeous.

FYI, the game would say Ready to Play! but would crash after the title screen when it was about 10% downloaded. Then, it kept saying "Ready to Play!" and at about 40% I tried again. I got into the menu's, but when you click on "begin campaign", it just takes you to a loading screen with an installation bar that basically reflects how long it will take to finish downloading the game.

In other words, the "play as you download" thing doesn't work all that well in my experience.

kodecraft

So what power option are you guys using? The energy-saving or the always-on?

I am using energy saving as I feel it would be better suited for the long run.

http://youtu.be/7LEj-k0NSoY

This is part of the reason why I'm getting ready to just send it back

Yea this happens, but I feel using the controller is so much better. The voice command is cool but the novelty wears off pretty quick.

I hooked up my Xbox to my HD cable converter today. The cable controls are impressive. Especially because I don't normally even have a guide interface with my cable HD converter thing.

The guide and channel navigation is good with the controller too. X brings guide up, view button brings up recent channels.

kodecraft

Instant On.

The system was designed and tested for this mode.

I'm a fan of the instant on mode though, to have updates for the games and apps download while you're not using it and games continuing to play out while you're away is pretty neat to me.

My xbox one came with a faulty controller. The left bumper is extremely loose and it bothered the hell out of me for a $500 hardware.

Went on the microsoft website, asked for a call.

I got called in under 5 minutes, 5 minutes later I had a brand new controller being sent priority 2 day to my house. No credit card needed, nothing. Just my serial number.

What just happened? This was excellent support, unprecedented quality. A+ Microsoft, A+ wow

sangreal

My xbox one came with a faulty controller. The left bumper is extremely loose and it bothered the hell out of me for a $500 hardware.

Went on the microsoft website, asked for a call.

I got called in under 5 minutes, 5 minutes later I had a brand new controller being sent priority 2 day to my house. No credit card needed, nothing. Just my serial number.

What just happened? This was excellent support, unprecedented quality. A+ Microsoft, A+ wow

do you have to send it back? I had a faulty controller (non-bundled) and Amazon told me to call Microsoft but I blew them off and just returned it because I figured MS would be a pain in the ass. Amazon made me send the busted one back though which is too bad because it was usable despite the defects

Lima

Question time.

How do you know if the system installed a patch for a game if it is in instant on? Do you get some kind of notification or what? I am waiting for that NFS Rivals patch.

Phreaker

So my killer instinct is stuck on 'checking for dlc'. Anyone else having this issue? I'm having withdrawals here.

Yes, it's a problem on their end. Solution is to start it offline. :/

I think I need to return my One. :( My controller keeps disconnecting no matter what I've tried. I am getting a 2nd controller tomorrow, but I am not holding out much hope after reading a thread about this issue on xbox.com forums. It seems they at least ship a new one and I send this one back once it arrives, which is nice.

Satchel

Banned
So what power option are you guys using? The energy-saving or the always-on?

I am using energy saving as I feel it would be better suited for the long run.

Yea this happens, but I feel using the controller is so much better. The voice command is cool but the novelty wears off pretty quick.

Instant on energy saving being used once a week or so to give it a rest especially if I know it's not going to be used for a few days.

Top Bottom