• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

So guide then menu will just quit out of the game when I'm in it? So strange that this isn't communicated anywhere at all in the UI or elsewhere.

And I also keep completely forgetting about the menu button. Hasn't really lodged itself in my brain yet.

And thanks, guys.

They put several tutorial videos right next to home. I'm pretty sure this is mentioned in at least one. Besides that there's always the (sort of) manual available when you say "Xbox Help".

no angel

Duh. I feel stupid. Thanks for that.
No problem, I was scratching my head until someone here mentioned it!.

We should put together an Xbox 101 (clever eh) for these little tips and tricks seeing as though ms decided not to document them.

Edit

I hate help videos or online documentation, paper or bust. I miss game manuals :(

Alx

"Menu" is quite similar to "right click" in older Windows interface. When you want to interact with an item on screen or display contextual functions, you usually can do it by pushing that button : quit app, uninstall, download first / cancel download, ...

no angel

Agreed, given the complexity of the UI at first, they really should've included a list of basic commands in a manual. Something you can refer to easily that's not watching a video.

I hate football and football games but got the urge to fire up fifa last night (it was free and I'm cheap, I want my money's worth). I had to google the gameplay systems and controls just so I could have something next to me on my ipad whilst I played.

As an aside I would also like to say how much I enjoy using the smartglass app. Watching uploaded clips from my friends and using it to type in messages is really convenient and I'm looking forward to seeing what developers use the companion app features for in the future. I like the bf4 map but would've also liked the option to edit load outs and stuff on it, you can already do this via battlelog after all.

I'm really enjoying my xbone, I see it for what it is - not perfectly, definitely flawed here and there but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'm not having a load of fun with it. Its a shame to see it get so much vitriol here on GAF, I'll be buying a ps4 at some point and I definitely want both consoles to succeed and I genuinely can't understand the people that have nothing positive to say about it.

def sim

That Kinect wave race game is unplayable if you're on a desk. My table's surface is obstructing the camera and the game prevents me from starting up any mode. Oh well.

New002

Is anyone here rocking what they deem to be a silent console and power supply? If so would you mind recording some audio at idle if possible? My power supply definitely makes an audible noise and the console fan makes a low grinding type sound, although it's not as bad as I've seen/heard on youtube. It kind of sounds like an old hardrive that is constantly seeking. I would love to have a reference for how silent "silent" is on this console when it's running as it should. Unforunately I don't know anyone else that bought one or I'd check with them.

Thanks ahead of time!

whelp, i'm out of next-gen now guys. just sold my xbox one (for a profit) as the initial HOLY-SHIT-IT'S-NEW buzz had worn off & nothing (or at least nothing of interest) will be out until february.
not a knock on the machine at all, mind. whilst aspects are lacking or seemingly a step backwards from the 360, i think it's a great piece of kit with a lot of potential. will love watching the machine evolve through updates, hopefully frequent ones and can't wait to jump back in sometime next year.
really going to miss killer instinct... :(

Any notion of when we may see the first update from MS? Hopefully improve some of the voice features and fix some of the concerns with storage management etc.

Is anyone here rocking what they deem to be a silent console and power supply? If so would you mind recording some audio at idle if possible? My power supply definitely makes an audible noise and the console fan makes a low grinding type sound, although it's not as bad as I've seen/heard on youtube. It kind of sounds like an old hardrive that is constantly seeking. I would love to have a reference for how silent "silent" is on this console when it's running as it should. Unforunately I don't know anyone else that bought one or I'd check with them.

Thanks ahead of time!

From the day I turned it on I honestly haven't heard the machine make a single sound...not the PS not the box...nothing..I'm not sure what to think, maybe I'll put my ear to it today.

Mind you, I'm all digital so I haven't actually tested my drive out.

Any notion of when we may see the first update from MS? Hopefully improve some of the voice features and fix some of the concerns with storage management etc.

Nothing yet.

I really think they should get something up and running before Christmas when the onslaught of new customers start using their consoles...but that's just me.

PhatSaqs

Banned
goodbye xbox, you are a great machine but with very little out until february/march time i couldn't say no to making a profit.
gonna' miss killer instinct, can't wait to come back to it when it's meatier.
whelp, i'm out of next-gen now guys. just sold my xbox one (for a profit) as the initial HOLY-SHIT-IT'S-NEW buzz had worn off & nothing (or at least nothing of interest) will be out until february.
not a knock on the machine at all, mind. whilst aspects are lacking or seemingly a step backwards from the 360, i think it's a great piece of kit with a lot of potential. will love watching the machine evolve through updates, hopefully frequent ones and can't wait to jump back in sometime next year.
Congrats?

SHADES

Hi guys, Quick question.

I'm currently selling my Xbox one on ebay & had some interest/offers.

Can I sell it with the FIFA download already downloaded to the HDD & will it work for the new owner?

I was of the understanding that if it's on the HDD is fine as I can play it without signing into my account, but someone pointed out that it may be account tied?

DRM confused.com guys lol.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

ShOcKwAvE

How the hell do you give it a few weeks and then sell it? Why not keep it until you want it again? Yeah I see you made some profit but I doubt it's much, and frankly the hassle seems odd to me.

Chitown B

Hi guys, Quick question.

I'm currently selling my Xbox one on ebay & had some interest/offers.

Can I sell it with the FIFA download already downloaded to the HDD & will it work for the new owner?

I was of the understanding that if it's on the HDD is fine as I can play it without signing into my account, but someone pointed out that it may be account tied?

DRM confused.com guys lol.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

they can play it on the box but if they ever delete it they can't get it back.

hwalker84

Nothing yet.

I really think they should get something up and running before Christmas when the onslaught of new customers start using their consoles...but that's just me.

Honestly they need to be working with an even larger team than the crunch for launch to fix some of these issues before the end of the year. Some of the missing features are comically silly compared to how everything worked on 360.

I used Xbox chat and they sorted everything out for me. They also offered me a free game, so I choose Ryse.

I got Killer Instinct at launch for free and now Ryse. :)

So if your consoles fan/hard drive is not silent I suggest you gave Microsoft a call.

New002

From the day I turned it on I honestly haven't heard the machine make a single sound...not the PS not the box...nothing..I'm not sure what to think, maybe I'll put my ear to it today.

Mind you, I'm all digital so I haven't actually tested my drive out.

I'm all digital as well. I popped in a movie to make sure I didn't have any disc drive issues and then took it out. I'd love to hear back on what you hear when you check out the console and the PSU. Really appreciate it!

derFeef

I used Xbox chat and they sorted everything out for me. They also offered me a free game, so I choose Ryse.

So if your consoles fan/hard drive is not silent I suggest you gave Microsoft a call.

Oh wow you got a game too for the fan issue? That's neat - let's see what they offer me for my fan issue and borked controller (left rumble trigger seems broken) - lol.

hwalker84

Where can you set what inputs the Xbox On command needs to change?

I when I say Xbox On i need it to change my receiver to a specific input.

Oh wow you got a game too for the fan issue? That's neat - let's see what they offer me for my fan issue and borked controller (left rumble trigger seems broken) - lol.

They said to me that only people that have the disc drive problem were getting a free game. But when I was away to reply, she offered me a free game. I even told her my drive was fine and the noise was coming from either the Hard drive or the fan.

This was through the instant message service and not by phone.

Also, my console works perfectly fine apart from not being silent.

Pillville

"Menu" is quite similar to "right click" in older Windows interface. When you want to interact with an item on screen or display contextual functions, you usually can do it by pushing that button : quit app, uninstall, download first / cancel download, ...

It is the same as the "Menu" button found on everyone's keyboard (brings up the "right click" menu).
ju4GQBXhXEMBo.jpg

They are just giving out game codes like candy. I sense value adds in the not too distant future,

Anyway, I'm actually disappointing mine is working flawlessly....

Alx

It is the same as the "Menu" button found on everyone's keyboard (brings up the "right click" menu).
http://i5.minus.com/ju4GQBXhXEMBo.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Ha, never thought about that. :P I always thought of that button as "the right click button if you don't have a mouse" anyway.

see5harp

From my experience voice commands work fairly well and wake from standby is extremely fast. I wake up, walk into my living room say xbox on and my tv, receiver, and xbox all turn on quickly. Pretty awesome that is. If I told you I liked the interface and how the system handles invites, parties, and achievements, I'd be lying.

It's also so stupid how the 14 day gold trial included with the Xbox One doesn't stack to your existing membership. So now I have to wait a year to input the code when my Gold expires? Fucking stupid.

Chitown B

It's also so stupid how the 14 day gold trial included with the Xbox One doesn't stack to your existing membership. So now I have to wait a year to input the code when my Gold expires? Fucking stupid.

it's 14 days... which is like $2-3. It's not for existing memberships. Just ignore it.

LTWheels

Just done a 30 minute workout, then watched a cooking show that someone made on Upload and now about to load up twitch... what funny times we live in

Chitown B

Yeah, those free 2 week trials always used to stack on the Xbox 360. Kind of silly how they advertise 2 weeks of Xbox Live Gold when it really only applies to people who don't have it already.

it says Free Trial. It's not meant to supplement existing accounts. It's such a small amount of time anyway, I'm not sure why people would bother worrying about it.

Gorki247

Apparently 0 Gamerscore games delete themselves automatically (unlike on 360 where it is manual).

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1s03hs/0_gamerscore_games_automatically_deleted_from/

Would be great if true, but I'm not convinced. My wife has got a few games on her list because she was logged in while I was playing. She has go no achievements against them, but they still show on her recent activity list; this was from 5 days ago. Maybe it will need a few more days, so I'll see what happens.

Thrax

Banned
So with Xbox Fitness:
It's nice to get all these samplers (for example P90X gives you just two of their 13 disc library) but what if I want to get the full P90X integrated with Xbox Fitness?
There's no info on this I can find anywhere. Yes I can buy the DVD but I am going to assume it's just the standard version.

Also XB1 Fitness needs to have a beginners/midlevel/advanced level sorting on all of these videos.
Some of these workouts are pretty advanced for couch potatoes.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
why would you truly think it was the XO4's though? They got delayed until after the chat adapter is released next year.

Because Tigerdirect has it listed, and shows it as in stock. I also live chatted before I ordered. They verified that I would receive what was listed. The XO4's.

Although, I pretty much assumed that that wouldn't happen though. I took a chance, just in case they were the right ones.

Top Bottom