• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox should really start packing mic with consoles again

With the recent threads this week about Xbox not doing too hot. Then I came across the video below and it clicked with me that XBL is pretty lonely so no wonder they have been running into issues trying to maintain the gas they once had.

I really think they need to work out why 360 golden years were so good to them even when they were facing the Red ring issues.

Their whole idea was to make XBL take off and so they packed mic's in with the system.

Dropping the packed in mic was a mistake that I feel cost them more than what it would have cost to keep them.

Last edited:

Three

Chat can be fun sometimes but I usually just mute. The good thing about the built in mic on the dualsense is that if somebody is smack talking you online you can just unmute, tell the guy to go f himself because he sucks, then mute again.

NewYork214

Be honest the built in mics on dual sense work pretty decent. Usually use my headphones or the PS app and galaxy buds for chat but never had complaints from friends few times I used it.

Last edited:
Why not a camera so you can expose yourself in Uno?
south park GIF

magnumpy

I think it's more to do with people tightening their belts (because the economy is bad). the big 3 have become the big 2. if you are a multi console owner things are much cheaper that way ._.

perhaps I'm myopic, but personally I own a Nintendo Switch and a PlayStation 5. but I haven't stopped spending money on videogames, I can't wait for the next Nintendo system!

Crayon

I just found out a few weeks ago that you can talk through the dualsense. So you always have a mic.

The 'problem' is the party chat though. The feeling of real people being thrown in together was greatly enhanced by open chat but now it's quiet. Honestly, I get more use out of party chat though.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
That's not going to make a difference in today's world. They need more quality output, that's it. There's no secret to this.

Elysium44

Banned
Most of them probably ended up in landfill unopened. Also in today's extreme politically correct environment everyone would be on egg shells wondering if they will get lifetime banned for saying something 'someone' could find offensive (which is just about anything).

cormack12

Gold Member
Party chat on both systems was the death of open air chats.

If you use LFG then quite a few random talk in dynamically created parties.

Rockondevil

I hate party chat for killing game chat.
I loved trash talking/getting trash talk in games. Proximity chat was amazing.

But I’d expect if it ever came back it wouldn’t be the same and everyone other person would be getting voice banned.

cormack12

Gold Member
Xbox basically slipped up at the worst time. Digital sales were growing, account worth and economy buy in was a different landscape prior to last gen.

It's going to be really hard to convert players going forward and leave their old account behind with hundreds if not thousands pounds worth of game purchases on them.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Be honest the built in mics on dual sense work pretty decent. Usually use my headphones or the PS app and galaxy buds for chat but never had complaints from friends few times I used it.

I just found out a few weeks ago that you can talk through the dualsense. So you always have a mic.

The 'problem' is the party chat though. The feeling of real people being thrown in together was greatly enhanced by open chat but now it's quiet. Honestly, I get more use out of party chat though.
Yup. Also works great for searching the console by voice. And you have some control over how the mic and speaker works on the Dual Sense. I have mine set to mute all chat sounds at start up.

Maybe MS should add a mic to the next Xbox controller.

Last edited:

Hudo

Don't worry guys, I've been told quite recently by top experts on GAF that the Playstation Portal will change everything forever for the better.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Xbox basically slipped up at the worst time. Digital sales were growing, account worth and economy buy in was a different landscape prior to last gen.

It's going to be really hard to convert players going forward and leave their old account behind with hundreds if not thousands pounds worth of game purchases on them.
This is big, those that spend alot on their account, the whales are they ready to change platform and lose everything they had?
In call of duty it is possible, when you see players spending thousands each year and move to the next game starting from 0 again

King Dazzar

This is big, those that spend alot on their account, the whales are they ready to change platform and lose everything they had?
In call of duty it is possible, when you see players spending thousands each year and move to the next game starting from 0 again

Worse still, retention of exiting customers. All my large digital library was with Xbox and I've spent the past 18 months slowly migrating it over to PlayStation. No plans to fully leave Xbox or sell my XSX, but I cant be alone in no longer seeing them as a primary platform.

I'm not convinced they see their own console any more as the heart and soul of the business. As much as I still enjoy older games on it, I don't feel like its a premium experience when I boot up my XSX. Unfortunately whilst I hope they improve, I just see it drifting along and if anything getting worse. I wish I could say otherwise. The likes of a mic wont do diddly. They need to change their leadership and mindset, but they wont. It is what it is.

No need for the e waste. LOL

The headsets they used to give were trash, as was the junk that came with the PS4. A decent pair of headphones with a mic would serve you better.

King Dazzar

PlayStation recognized how social gaming has become way back in 2018 / 2019. Putting a mic on every controller showed that they understand what's happening. XBox not having it was definitely a mistake.

ps5-mute.jpg
For me the great thing about the controller mic. Is the ability to use it for the PS5's voice command system. For example using the search command and browsing for a game on the store etc. The rest of the time I keep it muted.

King Dazzar

I never took the thing out of the wrapper. Nobody wants to voice chat with raging children.
I liked it back in the very early days of Xbox. Everyone was using chat and for a while it was a lot of fun. They even used it for the single player experience on Rainbow 6 3 for voice commanding AI squad mates. Bu these days, it doesn't fit really does it. Funny how things change.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I liked it back in the very early days of Xbox. Everyone was using chat and for a while it was a lot of fun. They even used it for the single player experience on Rainbow 6 3 for voice commanding AI squad mates. Bu these days, it doesn't fit really does it. Funny how things change.
I learned on the original Xbox that voice chat via the console network was a frustrating experience. Idiot children practicing their repertoire of curse words, grown men screaming because they lost a video game, loud noises meant to shock people, insane levels of simping, private chat begging and begging for nudes via email whenever there was a female voice on the chat. It did not really enhance the experience.

These days it's much easier to voice chat with trusted friends or teammates via any number of methods that weren't as readily available back then. I'd take a discord group chat with people I'm playing with over in-game voice chat any day.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The 360 “golden years” had more to do with their aggressiveness in acquiring big timed exclusives. That coupled with Sony slipping up, gave Microsoft a lot of mindshare.
Especially CoD looking better on 360, and them having one month exclusivity on all the new map packs.
That’s not even getting into the other online games like Halo, Gears, and Forza.

It became the place for online gaming, while Sony bumbled around in those early years.

Party chat have slowly killed it back then and now no one want to spew toxic shit now knowing that it can get their account banned. I think it was good to release your toxic energy after a long day of work.

NinjaBoiX

Sorry bro, but you’re delusional if you think the lack of a cheap mic in the box is the reason Xbox is struggling.

Barely anyone wears a mic these days, I just have it muted.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
PlayStation recognized how social gaming has become way back in 2018 / 2019. Putting a mic on every controller showed that they understand what's happening. XBox not having it was definitely a mistake.

ps5-mute.jpg
90% of the people that use this mic should never have been given a mic in the first place, 5% of the remaining try to use it for good but I can hardly heard them and the last 5% don't realize its on and I hear their TV or spouses in the back ground

Its all reasons I mute in game chat in all games except Hell Let Loose

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The last fucking thing i want is some squirrel on crack when i try to play online games.

First thing i do is mute all chats.. use discord

ReBurn

Gold Member

ps5-mute.jpg
It's actually a pretty mediocre microphone that lacks even basic noise management features. If you use it for voice chat in games the people you're playing with probably hate you.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's actually a pretty mediocre microphone that lacks even basic noise management features. If you use it for voice chat in games the people you're playing with probably hate you.

I grew up using these...

shopping

...and watched sci fi + military movies where static during coms was expected. I couldn't imagine complaining about it then, so these complaints are bizarre to me.

The Dualsense mic quality is lightyears better than what I grew up with.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Voice chat with randos was horrible from the start on XBL. There was this brief period of time, I think when the first Gears came out, that random voice chat was actually useful and not just filled with whiny children. But it’s been horrible in just about every other instance.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Voice chat with randos was horrible from the start on XBL. There was this brief period of time, I think when the first Gears came out, that random voice chat was actually useful and not just filled with whiny children. But it’s been horrible in just about every other instance.

This is a game by game issue. Some games naturally encourage more pro social communication, other games (CoD lobbies) are only useful for trolling.

King Dazzar

I learned on the original Xbox that voice chat via the console network was a frustrating experience. Idiot children practicing their repertoire of curse words, grown men screaming because they lost a video game, loud noises meant to shock people, insane levels of simping, private chat begging and begging for nudes via email whenever there was a female voice on the chat. It did not really enhance the experience.

These days it's much easier to voice chat with trusted friends or teammates via any number of methods that weren't as readily available back then. I'd take a discord group chat with people I'm playing with over in-game voice chat any day.
Yeah, I had a much more positive experience back in the day. A lot of fun. But I was always drunk while playing. So maybe I was part of the problem you had!! 😁

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Nobody wants to talk to people online anymore. Most novelty is gone.
Agreed if someone wants real helpful voice chat do it with a premade and don't use in game coms

If anything I think PS including it was a mistake and I appreciate Xbox not giving a mic to every 12 year old aspiring rapper

shuei-yoshida.gif

They destroyed the brand at the worst moment, in the future it will be worse, few people with 10-15 years of library on PS4-PS5 will change systems.

Top Bottom