• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Store Countdown to 2017 Sale Thread - includes daily and weekly offers

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
What are the odds Gears 1: Ultimate Edition goes on sale next week? I just got a copy of 4 that comes with the old ones, but it's a backwards compatible 360 version of Gears 1; doesn't make a whole lot of sense to play that over a remaster when I'm playing for the first time.

The only thing I would say is that it might make 2 & 3 look a lot worse by playing it that way.

What are the odds Gears 1: Ultimate Edition goes on sale next week? I just got a copy of 4 that comes with the old ones, but it's a backwards compatible 360 version of Gears 1; doesn't make a whole lot of sense to play that over a remaster when I'm playing for the first time.

It's always possible, it's been on sale before. In my opinion, the original Gears still hold's up decently and wouldn't be a bad way to play, but I can see what your saying about playing through for a first time.

NaviLink

Of course Activision put Destiny The Taken King and the collection on sale, but not Rise of Iron by itself. I'll never buy this DLC I think.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

The digital codes for that game sell for $10 and less on eBay.
I bought mine for $7 a week ago.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

I saw it in Target a few weeks back in a clearance section for 10 bucks. That depends on stores though I think.

jelly

For 5 bones I think it's worth a gamble. Just realize it's a character-driven game in a high school setting, so if teenage anxieties and struggles aren't your bag it might come off as cloying and needy. But I loved it - it starts off incredibly low-stakes and chill and builds into great peaks while at the same time feeling very intimate and "small" in a good way.

There's not that much more in the way of "gameplay" if TWD felt thin to you, but I will way the time-rewind mechanic allows you to really explore decisions and consequences in an interesting way. There are some light "puzzles" that go beyond what Telltale typically does but it's still a modern point-and-click at the end of the day. It feels fresher than what Telltale's house rule feels like these days.

Also, the soundtrack is worth 5 bucks alone if you like indie rock and chilled-out ambience. Any game with Mogwai on the soundtrack is good in my book.

The soundtrack was incredible. Loved the game.

Thanks, I think the praise for the story, soundtrack is enough for that good price.

Lackluster first week, to say the least.

Digital sale pricing still has a LONG ways to go before its competitive with physical. Nearly every game here is 33%-50% more expensive than Black Friday and post-BF sales at BB, Amazon, Target, etc....

Of note:

1) The one really good deal I spotted was Destiny Collection for $26 (for Gold members). MS left it at that price for a day or so and then promptly raised the price to $40 w/ zero explanation.

2) Backwards compatible games are almost invariably 33%-50% more expensive than the same games were prior to becoming BC. For example, Red Dead Redemption is selling at $15 "on sale"...without any of the DLC... When it used to go on sale for $7.50 semi-regularly. Most of the other BC games which used to sell for $5 are now selling at $7.50. (I already own the vast majority of these titles including RDR, so this is more an observation than a personal annoyance).

3) Daily Deals are so far pretty lame and apparently will not include 360 games at all. Boo.

I keep waiting for Sony and MS to get real with their digital pricing, but it looks like it's another holiday "sale" that mostly serves to make me happy about a stack of Black Friday purchases from Best Buy. I've left them all unopened on the off chance MS offers something competitive. Maybe next week. So far...meh.

Theorry

Lackluster first week, to say the least.

Digital sale pricing still has a LONG ways to go before its competitive with physical. Nearly every game here is 33%-50% more expensive than Black Friday and post-BF sales at BB, Amazon, Target, etc....

Of note:

1) The one really good deal I spotted was Destiny Collection for $26 (for Gold members). MS left it at that price for a day or so and then promptly raised the price to $40 w/ zero explanation.

2) Backwards compatible games are almost invariably 33%-50% more expensive than the same games were prior to becoming BC. For example, Red Dead Redemption is selling at $15 "on sale"...without any of the DLC... When it used to go on sale for $7.50 semi-regularly. Most of the other BC games which used to sell for $5 are now selling at $7.50. (I already own the vast majority of these titles including RDR, so this is more an observation than a personal annoyance).

3) Daily Deals are so far pretty lame and apparently will not include 360 games at all. Boo.

I keep waiting for Sony and MS to get real with their digital pricing, but it looks like it's another holiday "sale" that mostly serves to make me happy about a stack of Black Friday purchases from Best Buy. I've left them all unopened on the off chance MS offers something competitive. Maybe next week. So far...meh.

You know the pricing is not up to Sony or MS right? Unless they are the publisher.

pitchfork

Finally picked up Titanfall 2

Seems like a steal for 27 quid considering how recently it launched - glad I held off at launch

Is Firewatch worth it?

It depends on the types of games you like; this game is a semi-guided first person exploration game. I really enjoyed the narrative, and after completing the game there's free roam exploration mode and dev commentary. It's one of my favorite games this year, but it might not be for everyone.

Vanish

It depends on the types of games you like; this game is a semi-guided first person exploration game. I really enjoyed the narrative, and after completing the game there's free roam exploration mode and dev commentary. It's one of my favorite games this year, but it might not be for everyone.

Thanks. I dont mind those kind of games as long as the story is good. I guess I'll take a chance with it, sounds like the story is well done.

zeeaykay

Is Dark Souls III a good game to start the series with? I'm pretty selective with my gaming time, so I don't want to invest in playing the whole series. Looking for my next big game after finally beating the Witcher 3 (and taking a break before the expansions).

You know the pricing is not up to Sony or MS right? Unless they are the publisher.

I haven't seen a breakdown as to how the digital platform revenue sharing model works, but my wallet doesn't care who sets digital prices. One thing I do know is that overall profit from digital sales is a lot higher than retail for what should be obvious reasons.

Regardless of the revenue mix between publishers and platform holders, digital pricing should be *cheaper* than physical, not significantly more expensive.

I'd actually like to start shifting some of my primary game purchases to digital, but the pricing just isn't competitive most of the time. As things stand, I really only purchase old games digitally...most are double-dips of games that I haven't gotten around to playing in my physical backlog, for example.

Weevilone

Is Dark Souls III a good game to start the series with? I'm pretty selective with my gaming time, so I don't want to invest in playing the whole series. Looking for my next big game after finally beating the Witcher 3 (and taking a break before the expansions).

I think it's as good as any place to hop on. I didn't play the prior titles much at all and had no issues hopping on with DS3.

I kinda want to get Darksiders II, but I haven't played the first one. Hoping that that will go on sale at some point of the next 2 weeks.

Sizzle55

Publishers must hate European Xbox players then. The sale prices are ridiculous if you compare them with PSN.
Yep! I am in Australia and just checked out the PSN sale and it leaves the Xbox sale for dead. I have gone all digital for the Xbox have all my credit on it and am stunned at this sale so far. Peggle 2 and Rayman as a daily deal? I was so looking forward to some bargains but can't see it happening.

I think the EU PSN January sale is actually pretty good this year plenty of third party titles are actually cheaper than what MS has to offer.

MauroNL

Daily Deal December 24
Xbox One
- Homefront The Revolution Freedom Fighter Edition - $59.99 > $21.00
- Saints Row & Metro Redux Double Pack - $89.99 > $11.00
- Mighty No. 9 - $19.99 > $8.00

Sizzle55

It's been like that for months actually. If you are on PS4 you can get better versions of games for less money.

At least in Europe.
Spot on mate! I have a PS4 but I put all my gift cards on Xbox, first world problem I know but it's a bit annoying, I swear Xbox had some good deals a few months back and maybe I jumped the gun thinking they would knock it out the park with the Xmas sales.

Was Destiny not $26 a couple days ago? Could have swore it was, i almost bought it. Haven't played since vanilla but $40 is too big an investment for me.

thenameDS

Was Destiny not $26 a couple days ago? Could have swore it was, i almost bought it. Haven't played since vanilla but $40 is too big an investment for me.
It was, I'm so gutted I didn't jump on it but I was waiting to use the inevitable gift cards I'll receive during Christmas. Unfortunately I won't be buying it at the new price, so I'll use my money elsewhere.

It's $7.50 US right now on sale

I know, but I don't want to get the second without playing the first, and the first one isn't on sale. So I'm trying to decide if I shouls get Darksiders II in the hopes that the first one is on sale next week. I played the demo for 360 back when it came out and kinda liked it, but not sure if I'd like it enough to purchase - but at $7.5, that's impulse buy territory.

Flux

Life is Strange is basically what Telltales wishes they could accomplish with their games.
Yup Life is Strange is great. Much more fleshed out and thoughtful characters and writing. It's not really Telltale fault since they have become an assembly line of licensed games. No reason not to enjoy both.

Chris1

Daily Deal December 24
Xbox One
- Homefront The Revolution Freedom Fighter Edition - $59.99 > $21.00
- Saints Row & Metro Redux Double Pack - $89.99 > $11.00
- Mighty No. 9 - $19.99 > $8.00

So there might be day 1 = 1 deal, day 2 = 2 deals, etc then?

That's 3 times in a row they've added an extra deal on a new day. Gotta say I kinda like it, having only one deal would be boring.

EdgeXL

I'd say the odds are pretty good considering it is $14.99 in the Windows 10 store.

gypsygib

$27 for Gears of War 4 is nice. Is the Windows 10 version good?

Very, one of the two W10 games that actually runs really well. The second being Killer Instinct.

I can't even play Apex on my 970 as the framerate drops to 10 constantly but Gears runs at 55-85 FPS at 1440p on high settings at least without resolution scaling.

$27 for Gears of War 4 is nice. Is the Windows 10 version good?

Very, one of the two W10 games that actually runs really well. The second being Killer Instinct.

I can't even play Apex on my 970 as the framerate drops to 10 constantly but Gears runs at 55-85 FPS at 1440p on high settings at least without resolution scaling.

I hear matchmaking is a nightmare on PC though. There just aren't enough people playing it there. They've started doing cross-platform matchmaking stuff, but it seems to be limited timed things that happen every so often.

Just something to be aware of.

Hmm, to grab The Flame In The Flood now or hold off til Jan for the PS4 edition. Love the PC edition but would like to have it hand on a console.

Pretty sure that it was $30 over Black Friday.

I think it and Battlefield 1 were. The following week they were both $40 during The Game Awards, and now they're both $40 again. Really wish I'd grabbed them at $30. It would be nice to see them drop that low again before the sale is over.

KDC720

Is MN9 worth it for 8 bucks if I go in with measured expectations? I'm morbidly curious about it and the price seems low enough to take the risk.

Mondrian

Is MN9 worth it for 8 bucks if I go in with measured expectations? I'm morbidly curious about it and the price seems low enough to take the risk.

I bought the physical version for roughly the same price. Turned it off after an hour, not worth it imo.

Top Bottom