• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
I meant Uplink, not Nexus. My bad. Nexus needs to be researched and takes 21 days, Uplink is available from the beginning and takes 14 days. I edited to make me sound like less of a crazy person.

Getting a Nexus in the first month is a bit of a tall order, yeah.

I might just set the difficulty to Normal and save scum my way to seeing if its actually possible to have three new satellites in the air by the end of the first month.

According to UFOpaedia, base funding (not accounting for your starter country) is 100 on Classic, 200 on Normal. Starting in America will give you the best chance at having enough money for that first month. This would be moot if that starter country doesn't affect whatever amount of money you start the game with though...

Derrick01

Banned
Hopefully I'm close to the end because the battles are getting kind of boring now. It's not a difficulty issue it's a lack of depth issue. I bounce between the 2 different kinds of cover, even though with the harder enemies half cover is basically as useful as no cover, and trade shots with enemies and healing the people who get hurt. There's just not a lot of tactics or planning involved. I know I complained earlier in the thread about being high up was only an offensive advantage despite common sense saying it's a defensive one too. Everything being controlled by the magic and always unfair dice roll hurts things too, like dice rolls do in every game ever.

Hopefully I'm close to the end because the battles are getting kind of boring now. It's not a difficulty issue it's a lack of depth issue. I bounce between the 2 different kinds of cover, even though with the harder enemies half cover is basically as useful as no cover, and trade shots with enemies and healing the people who get hurt. There's just not a lot of tactics or planning involved. I know I complained earlier in the thread about being high up was only an offensive advantage despite common sense saying it's a defensive one too. Everything being controlled by the magic and always unfair dice roll hurts things too, like dice rolls do in every game ever.

What difficulty are you playing on? As someone who beat Normal Ironman and is now playing classic I can tell you things like flanking are far far more important in Classic. I also find I have to hunker down far more as opposed to going into overwatch. Also doesn't height give defensive bonuses to snipers with damn good ground?

Derrick01

Banned
What difficulty are you playing on? As someone who beat Normal Ironman and is now playing classic I can tell you things like flanking are far far more important in Classic. I also find I have to hunker down far more as opposed to going into overwatch. Also doesn't height give defensive bonuses to snipers with damn good ground?

Normal but it's not a difficulty problem, the enemies I'm facing can easily crush me if enough show up at once which does happen sometimes. My snipers don't need high ground though they both have ghost armor with plasma rifles, double tap, executioner and all that good stuff. They can obliterate 4 enemies in a single turn if we're all close enough to each other. I think they're the reason the game's getting a little dull.

I'm also about 40 missions in too.

Mupod

So, Classic Ironman.

Only made three mistakes so far:

1. Forgot to transfer an interceptor to Europe. Satellite got instantly shot down and 3 countries lost their shit, they ended up withdrawing from XCOM. Even though I put another satellite up immediately.

2. Made the silly assumption that a high ranked 'damn good ground' sniper behind half cover on a truck with 5 health was safe from a single sectoid. I decided to headshot the floater next to him rather than retreat. My assumption was wrong. I miss that sniper.

3. I don't even know if I'd call this a mistake or just stupid random bullshit. At the start of a landed ufo mission 3 floaters patrolled in and got wrecked by my reaction fire. Apparently I only got two of them, because after clearing the entire ufo and getting what I THOUGHT was the last enemy, a single floater randomly flew out from the woods and critically wounded my highest ranked soldier with a shot from the darkness. Original xcom style.

But yeah, going balls out and capturing everything while teching straight to plasma is working okay for me. I have 3 interceptors with plasma cannons so I'm not scared of large ufos anymore. I just need to clear the base to keep my panic down before the end of the month...I think I can do it, but it'll be close. Once I make it past this month I'll have all the badass plasma weapons. But if I fail the base assault I'm done for.

I need a drink or five before I play any more of this game.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
According to UFOpaedia, base funding (not accounting for your starter country) is 100 on Classic, 200 on Normal. Starting in America will give you the best chance at having enough money for that first month. This would be moot if that starter country doesn't affect whatever amount of money you start the game with though...

I figure it'd be necessary to make sure that you get your first abduction mission soon enough and that you'd have to sell off tons of stuff to make ends meet. Even stuff like functional UFO bits, alloys, and Elerium. I'd be leery of selling off weapon fragments in the early going since they're so important for starting research, but I guess if you've got a small enough gap even those could go too.

I was thinking something like a Europe start for the price break on the Workshop you've got to build, first three satellites go up in North America for the money and for the 4 Scientists and Engineers it gives at month's end. With the money from that coverage build more satellites and cover Africa by the end of month 2 to get the All In bonus to your income. Use your economic stability to spam half-price Workshops and Laboratories to speed up your R&D without having to rely on getting research bonuses from interrogations. Relying on captures on Ironman feels too unreliable for my tastes.

I'm kinda bored of my current Classic Ironman game anyhow. I might just start over and see how well the theory translates into practice.

This game is absorbing my life in a way that hasn't happened since Fallout 2. Some missions I'll spend an hour on. Playing on Classic without Ironman has really helped me learn the ins and outs of the techniques of the game, and I'm actually looking forward to my Normal Ironman playthrough just so the stress reloading a mission that went south is gone.

Has anybody tried the game on Impossible yet?

This is an amazing game. I'm hoping it does well enough that they tool together a sequel with more squad variety, maybe some randomly generated maps. I'm thinking on multiple playthroughs, I'm going to wish there were more branches to the research tree, too.

I don't know why, but the late game is much less interesting than the early to mid game for me. This is the 2nd time I've gotten a save near the end and started a new game. The first time I was jumping to a higher difficulty, but I'm not sure why late game classic is starting to bore me. I really need to just finish it first, but the temptation to start fresh is strong...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'd like to recant my statements of pistols being worthless POS. The laser one has saved my ass in a couple of really desperate moments.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't know why, but the late game is much less interesting than the early to mid game for me. This is the 2nd time I've gotten a save near the end and started a new game. The first time I was jumping to a higher difficulty, but I'm not sure why late game classic is starting to bore me. I really need to just finish it first, but the temptation to start fresh is strong...

You're going through the same thing I am. It's just not fun with high level guys and gear and doing 30-40 battles relatively the same.

The UI is bad, moving I side a building with multiple levels is a nightmare. Things don't load so I can't see where I am going. I also click and move in the wrong position because I think it's in one position but its not.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
You're not accounting for panic satellites

I don't launch satellites in response to panic. When I'm in charge of XCOM there's a list of countries that get satellites and if you don't like your position on the list you get to deal with it. No budging is allowed, and anybody that's got a problem with my priorities can go hug an alien for all I care.

The UI is bad, moving I side a building with multiple levels is a nightmare. Things don't load so I can't see where I am going. I also click and move in the wrong position because I think it's in one position but its not.

The levels with multi-tier spaceships are horrible, the control and camera just fall apart. Lost my Colonel because I couldn't make the cursor point at the cover

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Weird, it was like that in the original, too. I remember Jake saying that he would always play the original at least once a year, but that he would hardly ever finish the game completely. I assumed that one of hte design goals would be not not have that happen.

I don't launch satellites in response to panic. When I'm in charge of XCOM there's a list of countries that get satellites and if you don't like your position on the list you get to deal with it. No budging is allowed, and anybody that's got a problem with my priorities can go hug an alien for all I care.
Ice cold. You monster.

zon

If you shoot the UFOs down with your interceptors most of the components are damaged. If you assault a landed UFO you can retrieve all components intact.

It happened with a UFO that had landed, that's why I started asking about it here. Maybe it's just a bug? I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Weird, it was like that in the original, too. I remember Jake saying that he would always play the original at least once a year, but that he would hardly ever finish the game completely. I assumed that one of hte design goals would be not not have that happen.

The strategy layer drys up, but I'm still finding myself pretty engaged by the missions. I've been trying to work in new units and build up their Psi Powers, which I added late, so it's not just a matter of going out with the same guys and using well worn tactics. I can start the endgame at any time. Still, it's difficult to match the intensity when there are no more aliens to introduce.

Carm

So, after the update I noticed the framerate took a massive hit 20ish. I saw someone mention it here and seen it on the 2k forums. I ended up uninstalling the game and reinstalling the demo to make sure I was remembering right of having 60fps most of the time. Demo was 60 fps, reinstalled the game and it's back to 60fps now *shrug*. The only things I had changed in the ini file was disabling startup movies. So if you had a sudden fps loss after the patch, back up/reinstall might just fix it.

raphier

Banned
such a bullshit. Thinmen jumping out of nowhere and Sectoids with extreme accuracy through any cover. Who thought this was a good idea? There's zero "X-com baby!" random numbers. If you are low-cover or yellow shielded, that is 99,9% for any sectoid.

FStop7

Banned
Mid game spoiler image.

http://i.minus.com/ibzcKIXKAlCtfj.jpg

Getting ready to breach the last chamber of the alien base. My second attempt. The first... did not end well. Assault in red, heavy in yellow, flanked by support on either side, and a pair of snipers facing the door in case there's something waiting on the other side.

Bigfoot

ITT: People expecting to go through every mission with no casualties or failures. This is war. The aliens are more advanced. Bad luck happens. Either play on Easy or Normal and reload often, but don't play on Classic Ironman and complain when the odds go against you one mission. The original X-com players know what it is like to lose troops the moment you step out of your Skyranger.

I'm playing on Classic and I allow myself one save at the start of each month and 3 saves each mission (one at the start). I consider that a cop-out compared to how I used to play X-com but Classic Ironman was too much for even me. I will likely do a Normal Ironman next once my Classic game is completed unless I lose too many countries.

Mupod

ITT: People expecting to go through every mission with no casualties or failures. This is war. The aliens are more advanced. Bad luck happens. Either play on Easy or Normal and reload often, but don't play on Classic Ironman and complain when the odds go against you one mission. The original X-com players know what it is like to lose troops the moment you step out of your Skyranger.

I'm playing on Classic and I allow myself one save at the start of each month and 3 saves each mission (one at the start). I consider that a cop-out compared to how I used to play X-com but Classic Ironman was too much for even me. I will likely do a Normal Ironman next once my Classic game is completed unless I lose too many countries.

I'm struggling with classic ironman but normal ironman is reaaaaally easy once you get plasma weapons. I only lost 1 soldier after that, to some total goddamn bullshit.

Meanwhile classic is like 'oh, you're still using conventional weapons? It would really suck if you had to fight Mutons right now WOULDN'T IT?'

taoofjord

I'm really enjoying this game a lot but there are a few things that bug me:

- The game is now straight up a board game. It doesn't really feel like a simulation anymore. Positioning is important in that you're either in no cover, low cover, high cover, or high ground and that's it. The line of sight is barely taken into account and you and enemies can both shoot through walls or shoot you when they shouldn't actually be able to see you. Obstacles between you and the shot path are completely ignored. So, if you're behind a stone (low cover) that's right behind a tree (high cover) and someone shoots straight at you from across the tree you only get the low cover benefit. That is really, really dumb.

- The camera flips out in indoor areas and the cursor was designed to be a "smart cursor", always guessing where you actually want to go, but more often than not you end up fighting with it and sometimes not even able to go where you want.

- The UI needs some improvements on both the tactical and strategy sides. There are some glaring oversights for a game in development for so long.

- Less a complaint and more a request but I dislike the battle music and would like the ambient creepy music to be played the entire time. I'd like an in-game setting for that please :)

- The game is now straight up a board game. It doesn't really feel like a simulation anymore. Positioning is important in that you're either in no cover, low cover, high cover, or high ground and that's it. The line of sight is barely taken into account and you and enemies can both shoot through walls or shoot you when they shouldn't actually be able to see you. Obstacles between you and the shot path are completely ignored. So, if you're behind a stone (low cover) that's right behind a tree (high cover) and someone shoots straight at you from across the tree you only get the low cover benefit. That is really, really dumb.

- The camera flips out in indoor areas and the cursor was designed to be a "smart cursor", always guessing where you actually want to go, but more often than not you end up fighting with it and sometimes not even able to go where you want.

- The UI needs some improvements on both the tactical and strategy sides. There are some glaring oversights for a game in development for so long.

- Less a complaint and more a request but I dislike the battle music and would like the ambient creepy music to be played the entire time. I'd like an in-game setting for that please :)

i have a couple quips about the game too but i disagree with everything you say lol. never had problems with UI or indoor camera, and i love the music. also, obstacles do matter when it comes to line of sight and especially firing rockets. i've had a few occasions where i positioned my player really close to an enemy but couldn't target them or reveal them because something was in the way, usually a wall or ledge.

Windows restarting my computer in the middle of a mission without a warning....

Fuck

yeah i hate that windows restart thing as well. did you have autosave turned on at least?

Man, near the end game and realizing I almost never took advantage of Europes bonus at all. I'm regretting it so much that I desperately want to start over using Asia as my base. Should I do it?

KKRT00

How the fuck camera passed Q&A i dont know. I hope that they will patch it soon, because those ships insides are fucking nightmare to navigate.

I gotta ask, is Ghost armour than Titan armour? It's less health but more defense (which I'm honestly kind of unsure what that even means) and I'm also unclear as to how the cloaking works. I kind of want to know before I spend the bank required to get it.

Instro

Agree on all these, well except for the 3rd one since I don't know quite what you mean. Loving the game, but certainly some things that can be fixed and improved, particularly that 2nd point needs to be addressed asap.

Top Bottom