• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Snipers seem to miss way too much from Overwatch. I don't know why, but it really pissed me off on that mission where I was fighting the Cyberdisc AND EVERY SINGLE SNIPER OVERWATCH SHOT MISSED IT.

Not only you can learn from your failures, but also from your victories. That particular mission teached me that:

It is extremely important to advance little by little when carrying a sniper so he can barricade after moving him elsewhere.
It is vital to provide the sniper with some auxiliary firepower at all times as he can't move and shoot like most units (and pistols are basically useless). Overwatch like a mofo.
A decimated squad needs to move slowly and carefuly, making long pauses to reload while the other member(s) overwatch. You don't want to run into a bunch of aliens with only one shot in your magazine and most time units spent running around.

Also, PAMPER YOUR SNIPERS. My sniper was a basic unit with the improved sights and nothing else, yet it was immensely more useful than any other rookies. That scope alone makes a world of difference.

In my game, all the units are just the support for my snipers.

My team:

7yrcf.jpg

zon

Guys, are the item rewards from UFOs that you shoot down (and then assault with troops) completely random or is there something that affects how good the rewards will be?

Anyone want my last X-com Steam key for $36 USD?

Edit:Someone got it.

I'm glad to help GAF get the game for cheap. I might have some more later so PM me in a couple of days, no guarantees. I'm not making a profit from this just trying to help you guys.

Guys, are the item rewards from UFOs that you shoot down (and then assault with troops) completely random or is there something that affects how good the rewards will be?

It depends on how you kill the aliens and if you break the equippment at the ufo with explosives.

Onemic

Is it me or is squad site not as good as it seems, as my sniper just gets super low percentages when using the ability.(like below 45% or below usually)

demidar

Is it me or is squad site not as good as it seems, as my sniper just gets super low percentages when using the ability.(like below 45% or below usually)

Equip SCOPEs and proceed to dominate the entire field.

Until they miss that one crucial but super easy shot, then they can burn in hell for all I care.

NIN90

The amount of >70% shots I missed today is ridiculous. And I never hit any <30% shots.

Well, time for Classic Ironman run 3.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well this is about the most mind-numbingly shitty tutorial/demo in recent memory... zero freedom and not even good to look at. Don't really like the art style at all, and the animation (especially facial animation) seems like it's a generation past. Feels budget-title, but looks aren't everything.

Will try again later... I like strategy games so hopefully there's something going on here under the hood and they'll give you some taste of it in the demo.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
One of the things that I miss about the old game was how the aliens run their own strategy layer too. They field scouting missions, terror missions, infiltration missions, invasion missions, supply missions etc, and if you can detect them and shoot down the UFOs in charge of those missions, you stop the missions from happening.

In this game, the appearance of UFOs feels like it has no bearing whatsoever on the frequency of abduction or terror missions at all. It's like the game just throws them at you once in a while and there is nothing you can do on your end to influence that.

zon

It depends on how you kill the aliens and if you break the equippment at the ufo with explosives.

I only killed the aliens with bullets and used no explosives at all. And yet 3 out of 4 flight computers were damaged and 2 out 2 power sources were damaged.

Is that just random or is there something I can do to make sure those items will be in working order?

masterkajo

One of the things that I miss about the old game was how the aliens run their own strategy layer too. They field scouting missions, terror missions, infiltration missions, invasion missions, supply missions etc, and if you can detect them and shoot down the UFOs in charge of those missions, you stop the missions from happening.

In this game, the appearance of UFOs feels like it has no bearing whatsoever on the frequency of abduction or terror missions at all. It's like the game just throws them at you once in a while and there is nothing you can do on your end to influence that.

Yeah, really hope this is coming (either DLC or MOD). I want to be rewarded that when I have satellite coverage over all of the US and a strong air defence I can manage that country fine and if there should appear 2 or more missions simultaniously I can send 2 teams in 2 skyrangers to handle it.

I only killed the aliens with bullets and used no explosives at all. And yet 3 out of 4 flight computers were damaged and 2 out 2 power sources were damaged.

Is that just random or is there something I can do to make sure those items will be in working order?

If you shoot the UFOs down with your interceptors most of the components are damaged. If you assault a landed UFO you can retrieve all components intact.

I'm starting to miss:

inventories
Abilty to pick up and drop items (from dead stuff too, also when your only medic is bleeding out grr).
Ability to sell equipment (would need a totally revamped economy).
Crouching.
Soldiers having more random rolled stats. (it's nice that there is aesthetic stuff you can change, but they are all pretty much the same. I also hate that you can change their face and skin colour.)

Mindlog

I'm starting to miss:

inventories
Abilty to pick up and drop items (from dead stuff too, also when your only medic is bleeding out grr).
Ability to sell equipment (would need a totally revamped economy).
Crouching.
Soldiers having more random rolled stats. (it's nice that there is aesthetic stuff you can change, but they are all pretty much the same. I also hate that you can change their face and skin colour.)
small launchers!

calder

What the shit i'm stuck on an abduction mission I can't finish. I killed everything pretty easily but the mission won't end, every now and then it shows movement off the map but I can't see anything. I've had my squad running all over the corners of the map trying to get fired on or force the last alien to appear but nothing!

So frustrating, I took almost no damage and the reward for this mission is 4 engineers I need to allow me to build the upgraded satellite control area. Do I abort and return home? Is there a way to end the mission successfully? Gaaaaaahhh.

Zeliard

What the shit i'm stuck on an abduction mission I can't finish. I killed everything pretty easily but the mission won't end, every now and then it shows movement off the map but I can't see anything. I've had my squad running all over the corners of the map trying to get fired on or force the last alien to appear but nothing!

So frustrating, I took almost no damage and the reward for this mission is 4 engineers I need to allow me to build the upgraded satellite control area. Do I abort and return home? Is there a way to end the mission successfully? Gaaaaaahhh.

Are you getting those sound waves?

Probably on a roof, I had that earlier.

calder

Are you getting those sound waves?

Yeah, but they show way off the edge of the map - I'm on the roof of a building and the red border is like 2 squares away. There's a 1 square strip of sidewalk between the building and the edge, and I've had my SHIV doing laps trying to see. So damn frustrating, I have my 2 uber-snipers in overwatch on nearby roofs so unless the last alien is Kryptonian this shit is done once i have a visual.

EDIT: ok whew, restarting the game fixed it. After my first turn 2 Thin Men spawned out of nowhere beside a door near the edge of the map right by my squad. Crisis averted!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Can xcom members pull out at any time? Mexico has been at full panic for almost a month soon.

coldfoot

Banned
Issues on the PS3 version, will likely double dip on Steam when it goes on sale for 15 bucks or less:

1. Texture streaming speed is horrendous, worse than Rage, but thankfully that's just the cut scenes that you skip anyway. Still I was very surprised that there wasn't even an optional install. I'd have preferred to have one.
2. Blew a few floaters off the map and they fell through the floor into minus infinity height, switched to a different soldier with R1/L1 and it was funny to see the camera move from below the map smoothly to my new soldier.
3. The worst is that the game sometimes freezes when loading from a save and you have to do a hard reset.

McNum

How to tell that XCOM has had quite enough of your winning streak: You approach a landed UFO, killing Floaters and a Cyberdisk along the way. You carefully open the door and... 6 Mutons and 4 Sectoid Commanders take cover inside it.

And that was my first non-tutorial casualty of the game. That was just the game telling me it had been way too long since one of my people died. I couldn't really see any way out of this one without casualties.

Eh, I couldn't keep on cheating certain death like that, I suppose. There are at least two occasions where one or more of my soldiers should have been a Chryssalid snack. One where the 'lid ran out of movement in the square just in front of my soldier and one where I had to think for a while on how to kill three 'lids when the total damage the soldiers in range could do would only be enough to kill two. The answer? Sniper Headshots one, Assault Run & Guns into melee range and Rapid Fires another, and the Support wounds the third. On the aliens' turn, the surviving 'lid goes for an Assault snack... Close Quarters Combat activates. Three 'lids down. Even one missed shot and that would have ended badly...

How to tell when XCOM tries to apologize: My best Sniper, my best Assault, and my best Heavy are all Gifted. I wonder if you can use Squad Sight with psionics. Probably not. But being able to deal 5 damage to an alien just like that seems interesting.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Can xcom members pull out at any time? Mexico has been at full panic for almost a month soon.

They pull out when you get your monthly report, so the game gives you some time to try and salvage the situation when they hit panic status.

Impossible Ironman lives up to its name. I will beat you though, through hell and high water, four health rookies outnumbered 1:3 in the second mission , pea shooters versus plasma pistols that might as well be plasma snipers, etc.

Always end of month unless you fail a terror mission, which is an instant KO for the country.

edit: Regarding Chrysalids - these are really some of the easiest enemies in the game to fight. They don't use cover, they never really come as a surprise, and they often have to spent a turn point blank before they can attack. Keep calm, keep grouped up, and keep up your weapon techs and you'll have plenty of burst damage to deal with them. They are only really nightmarish if they took over half a map of civilians first, but terror maps aren't big and Chrysalids so aggressive to aggro your squad that as long as you keep moving you should be OK. They are more of a "burst DPS" check for your squad than anything else.

I took down a simultaneous spawn two Cyberdiscs and 3 Chrysalids w/ no casualities in my second terror mission. Stuff like rapid fire/bulletstorm on your assaults/heavies and the close quarters reaction fire on your assaults helps tons and you need it for zerkers anyway.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I GIVE UP GAF

Classic Ironman is brutal. I've lost the count of how many times the XCOM initiative has been canned. I think it's time to chicken out: normal ironman or classic regular?

Despera

Banned
My current squad (just lost a Heavy COL. and replaced him with a SGT., shit felt bad)
jbhGjyu1wur98v.JPG

I'm starting to feel like I should upgrade my weapons. My Sniper with his ability combination (
Double Tap, Opportunist and Squad Sight
) pretty much obliterates anything that moves. Only problem is his weak ass laser rifle...

inky

I GIVE UP GAF

Classic Ironman is brutal. I've lost the count of how many times the XCOM initiative has been canned. I think it's time to chicken out: normal ironman or classic regular?

Classic regular. Normal becomes too easy later on, basically you have almost unlimited funds.

Despera

Banned
I GIVE UP GAF

Another vote for regular Classic.

Just learn everything you need before going for a Classic Ironman playthrough.

Rom1944

well i'm far advanced in the normal campaing and man aliens sure escalate the conflict to new levels i just cannot imagine how the hell can one stand a chance in classic with the new enemies.

Protein

Banned
I GIVE UP GAF

Classic Regular. I say only limit your saves when COMPLETE BULLSHIT happens. Like when you miss 3x 97% hits in one mission. But then your human nature takes over and everything bad becomes just that.

If you are learning the game classic regular is the way to go. It's not very hard since you have do-overs and can learn and experiment since the game sometimes has some seriously crazy issues with LOS and shooting through walls that you'll want to recognize later in a later Ironman run.

Though once you get the hang of it Classic Ironman isn't that bad. It's rough, but not that bad.

cjdunn

Issues on the PS3 version, will likely double dip on Steam when it goes on sale for 15 bucks or less:

1. Texture streaming speed is horrendous, worse than Rage, but thankfully that's just the cut scenes that you skip anyway. Still I was very surprised that there wasn't even an optional install. I'd have preferred to have one.
2. Blew a few floaters off the map and they fell through the floor into minus infinity height, switched to a different soldier with R1/L1 and it was funny to see the camera move from below the map smoothly to my new soldier.
3. The worst is that the game sometimes freezes when loading from a save and you have to do a hard reset.

Yyyyep! Happening more as I progress. :/

Top Bottom