• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
They pull out when you get your monthly report, so the game gives you some time to try and salvage the situation when they hit panic status.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I can salvage it after all.

Do we have a sense at the things faraxis will be patching?

Nope, but it'll probably be a slight balancing of the base meta game, or at least I hope so.

Needs panic to be a bit more controlled, like when you choose abductions instead of two panic bars the other countries you don't choose should only get one or something.

It's almost impossible to keep it balanced even with a good game plan.

(Then again maybe I'm still too noobish and it'll click even more.)

There are couple of good ideas bouncing around here in terms of equipping your Skyranger instead of your soliders to save time etc. but I don't know if those will make 'patch' status.

Protein

Banned
Definitive strategy: Screw everything and RUSH FOR THE SHIV. And then still die.

And the Council can proceed to fuck themselves and their suicidal missions.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Man I can't stop thinking about the game, I'm finally figuring out different tactics that don't involve dying horribly.

I'm on the first
Alien Base Assault

Can I delay the mission, and carry on doing little missions to build up my guys' stats and equipment, or will it force me to do the main mission?

Ken

I'm on the first
Alien Base Assault

Can I delay the mission, and carry on doing little missions to build up my guys' stats and equipment, or will it force me to do the main mission?

That's what I've been doing; delaying the mission and doing other stuff. So far it doesn't seem to penalize you for it...I think.

Protein

Banned
Also, they should have put in a Copper-man mode- a limit on the amount of saves for your entire game, like 3. Or Tin-man mode- one save every month.

Despera

Banned
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I can salvage it after all.
I ended the month of May with India in full panic, and I was lucky enough that they didn't withdraw.

This is how the situation looked like right after doing a mission that reduced worldwide panic by 2 and after deploying multiple satellites that took too damn long (in-game date is June 4th):

jba7AB8dfjpBNe.JPG

And in case you're wondering how I got that much cash, it was thanks to this request (made sure to take a screen shot)...

jvNmFNOj82y3F.JPG

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The super handy trick to satellites is to never build them as soon as the game starts. Wait for the first abduction mission to pop up and choose the one that gives 4 engineers as a reward. The 9 total engineers you'll have reduces the cost of a satellite from 100 Indefinite Currency Units to 77, which combined with the loot from the mission itself should allow you to queue up multiple satellites.

If you're aggressive enough with your selling and manufacturing you can have three additional satellites ready to launch pretty much as soon as the second month starts. That's enough to give you complete coverage of either Africa or North America.

Might even be possible to get them online before the end of the first month if everything comes together just right.

I've been watching a stream of this game. It looks awesome. As soon as I finish a few games, I'll definitely be picking it up, though I have no experience with the genre.

Issues on the PS3 version, will likely double dip on Steam when it goes on sale for 15 bucks or less:

1. Texture streaming speed is horrendous, worse than Rage, but thankfully that's just the cut scenes that you skip anyway. Still I was very surprised that there wasn't even an optional install. I'd have preferred to have one.
2. Blew a few floaters off the map and they fell through the floor into minus infinity height, switched to a different soldier with R1/L1 and it was funny to see the camera move from below the map smoothly to my new soldier.
3. The worst is that the game sometimes freezes when loading from a save and you have to do a hard reset.

Luckily I haven't come across any of these issues yet.

cametall

-_- I had to abort a mission, moved all my squad members to the extraction zone, but the game still would not recognize my highest ranked support as being in the extraction zone (was right in the middle).

So now I am out a Captain ranked support...

F!ReW!Re

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm at the same point and have no advanced base armour and no alien weaponry :(

I started this game up this morning: Normal - Ironman
Have been playing all day and focussed on getting my squad (got 10 vets now) leveled up and I basically ignored Asia altogether (first country I lost was China), so instead I focused on building as much satellite uplinks to get Africa, South America and Europe (in that order) after selecting NA as my base location.

Money has been rolling in since the second council report and although I've lost all the Asian countries, LIFE = GUUUDDDD:

3DAB3BBECE9A72140B2E1DA27019DBF26BB623A8

Despera

Banned
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm at the same point and have no advanced base armour and no alien weaponry :(
Certain research items won't be accessible until you do prerequisite research first.

For example, researching
Carapace Armor
and Elerium gives you access to
Titan Armor
research.

I started this game up this morning: Normal - Ironman
Have been playing all day and focussed on getting my squad (got 10 vets now) leveled up and I basically ignored Asia altogether (first country I lost was China), so instead I focused on building as much satellite uplinks to get Africa, South America and Europe (in that order) after selecting NA as my base location.

Money has been rolling in since the second council report and although I've lost all the Asian countries, LIFE = GUUUDDDD:

3DAB3BBECE9A72140B2E1DA27019DBF26BB623A8

So you've been sitting on this Assault mission for a while? Think I'll have to go that route, my guys* just can't handle it when the going gets tough

*a bad player always blames his characters :p

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That moment when you have your multiplayer opponent's assault psi assassin lined up to die from a rapid fire alloy cannon and you totally forgot to switch back from your pistol.

omg i'm dum

F!ReW!Re

So you've been sitting on this Assault mission for a while? Think I'll have to go that route, my guys* just can't handle it when the going gets tough

*a bad player always blames his characters :p

Actually I just "unlocked" assaulting the base a few minutes ago, but I know why it appears I got more stuff: I actually don't listen to the "missions" as in "capture" a live Alien, etc. I just research other stuff first.. So I kind of research the upgrades to weapons and armor first and leave the "arc thrower" and the other stuff for later...

fritolay

Based on the thread length it seems like this game is a success in terms of being a good game. I hope sales are good as well.

What do you think of the game in regards to the first true update/sequel. Is this what everyone has been waiting for, or is there a large amount of disappointment?

Also how is the XBOX 360 version?

Metacritic has it listed as 8.7.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
The super handy trick to satellites is to never build them as soon as the game starts. Wait for the first abduction mission to pop up and choose the one that gives 4 engineers as a reward. The 9 total engineers you'll have reduces the cost of a satellite from 100 Indefinite Currency Units to 77, which combined with the loot from the mission itself should allow you to queue up multiple satellites.

If you're aggressive enough with your selling and manufacturing you can have three additional satellites ready to launch pretty much as soon as the second month starts. That's enough to give you complete coverage of either Africa or North America.

Might even be possible to get them online before the end of the first month if everything comes together just right.

This is great advice, but keep in mind that you only have one Satellite Uplink in the beginning, that means you can only send up one Satellite. You'll have to get that 2nd Uplink online before you can send the extras up.

My 17 mission heavy just got mindfucked by a
sectoid commander
. It was totally my fault (actually no, I blame rest of the squad!) that he got killed because I moved him into an exposed position to get a clean shot at one of them, while his buddy (another of the above spoiler tagged enemy) was standing right behind him with a clean shot at my heavy. The heavy destroyed the first one, and then my sniper and support completely whiffed their shots on the last remaining
sectoid commander
. I should have both of those fuckers dishonorably discharged and used as muton bait. Fucking dipshits.

Actually I just "unlocked" assaulting the base a few minutes ago, but I know why it appears I got more stuff: I actually don't listen to the "missions" as in "capture" a live Alien, etc. I just research other stuff first.. So I kind of research the upgrades to weapons and armor first and leave the "arc thrower" and the other stuff for later...

Hmm. Think I'll have to just delay the mission by a couple of weeks while I try and get my shit together. Before I tried the mission, I thought I was in good shape. Having failed miserably though, I've realised a few home truths

I only have 2 satellites in the air
My second Uplink will take around 13 more days
Of my 20 soldiers, only 7 are Squaddies or above
I have no good armour
I have no good weapons
I have no money, and I don't have a clue what I can afford to lose in the Gray Market

Thank fuck I didn't do Ironman :D

ixix

This is great advice, but keep in mind that you only have one Satellite Uplink in the beginning, that means you can only send up one Satellite. You'll have to get that 2nd Uplink online before you can send the extras up.

A Workshop plus the 4 Engineers you get from the abduction mission is enough to meet the requirement to build your first Satellite Uplink. Workshop takes 10 days to build, Uplink takes 14. The abduction mission always seems to come in the first week. If you complete the mission before the end of day 6 you can theoretically build the Workshop and Uplink in time to launch the satellites before the month ends.

Making the finances work is the tricky part, but I think it's theoretically possible. I've never managed it, though.

Jubbly

Is there no upgrade to the rocket launcher? Pretty far in to the game, expected some kind of plasma launcher or something. Did i miss it??

I was hoping it would be a blaster launcher or something, but I didn't find one. The most I got was rocket skills via leveling up.

Research option opened up after I
downed a Battleship and completed the mission inside it

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
A Workshop plus the 4 Engineers you get from the abduction mission is enough to meet the requirement to build your first Satellite Nexus. Workshop takes 10 days to build, Nexus takes 14. The abduction mission always seems to come in the first week. If you complete the mission before the end of day 6 you can theoretically build the Workshop and Nexus in time to launch the satellites before the month ends.

Making the finances work is the tricky part, but I think it's theoretically possible. I've never managed it, though.

I'm pretty sure you can't build a Satellite Nexus till you've researched Alien Navigation though. Still, I think you would be able to get a Satellite Uplink up in that time frame, though you may have to sell some corpses on the Gray Market. I'll give this a shot on my next Classic playthrough.

Research option opened up after I
downed a Battleship and completed the mission inside it

I wonder if it's worth hanging around during the endgame hoping for another one of these encounters. The first one nearly wiped out my Interceptor in two shots.

ixix

I'm pretty sure you can't build a Satellite Nexus till you've researched Alien Navigation though. Still, I think you would be able to get a Satellite Uplink up in that time frame, though you may have to sell some corpses on the Gray Market. I'll give this a shot on my next Classic playthrough.

I meant Uplink, not Nexus. My bad. Nexus needs to be researched and takes 21 days, Uplink is available from the beginning and takes 14 days. I edited to make me sound like less of a crazy person.

Getting a Nexus in the first month is a bit of a tall order, yeah.

I might just set the difficulty to Normal and save scum my way to seeing if its actually possible to have three new satellites in the air by the end of the first month.

Top Bottom