• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Pepboy

Just curious, any word on # of copies sold? I see ~70k concurrent players on steam at the moment. So I'm guessing ~500,000 NA sales across all platforms? I don't really know the "steam to total sales" ratio but this is a steamworks game whose audience is PC oriented relative to the average game.

Edit: I see Borderlands 2 sold 1.5 million in Sept. It currently has ~60k concurrent steam users after a month from initial sale. Let's say there were three times as many concurrent borderland 2 players in it's first weekend, so ~180k. Both are steamworks only, so we don't have to factor that in. So if XCOM is as attractive on consoles as borderlands 2 was, that'd suggest ~560k total sales by end of October. Of course this is all guesswork, but maybe something like 400k-800k total units sold in October would be a reasonable guess?

Edit2: Official Borderlands 2 has about 13k likes on facebook, official XCOM about 4k. Assuming some of those 13k came in the past month since release, maybe B2 sold ~3 times as many units as XCOM. Given the 1.5M number, that puts XCOM October sales in the 600k range. An unofficial B2 twitter feed has 14k followers (?), official XCOM 2.4k. Of course, it's possible Gearbox just devoted more money to marketing on facebook/social media, and that XCOM might gain some word of mouth / holiday sales. (Maybe ~1.2M before end of year?)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just realized that all possible rolls at any given moment in the game are 100% pre-determined. No amount of re-loading will change the outcome. Not sure if I like that.

Zeliard

Just realized that all possible rolls at any given moment in the game are 100% pre-determined. No amount of re-loading will change the outcome. Not sure if I like that.

It would otherwise be way too easy to savescum your way to victory. Everytime you get a bad roll, reload till it's good.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It would otherwise be way too easy to savescum your way to victory. Everytime you get a bad roll, reload till it's good.

You can still do it to an extent, as it seems any change will reset the RNG for that "round."

Can't get the shot on one guy? Reload and take an action with another troop, then try again. It might hit that time!

The campaign has a time limit? I've been holding off the last mission for a few ingame months now, trying to get all the achievements. I hope it doesn't randomly run out of time :S

I guess the campaign doesn't have a time limit, I just lost to many countries support.

My mistake was not having to many satellites up and putting one up a little late when I started the game, I am noob though and that was my first xcom game.

FStop7

Banned
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

I just started 4 classic ironman runs where I would get a full squad wipe within the first 3 encounters.

I'm pretty sure that enabling ironman turns the difficulty up further in of itself. It could just be my imagination but I would swear the Normal/Classic with saves enabled are notably easier than they are with Ironman enabled.

Zeliard

You can still do it to an extent, as it seems any change will reset the RNG for that "round."

Can't get the shot on one guy? Reload and take an action with another troop, then try again. It might hit that time!

True. I guess they wanted to make it a bit less feasible to do so, just easily reloading and retaking the same shot till it hits (or miss if the enemy is shooting at you).

Play on Ironman! ;)

KePoW

Banned

I like that, because it prevents people from cheating. If you're not going to cheat, then it's not a problem.

I guess most of you guys don't really care about multiplayer huh?
Didn't want to spoil any of the enemy types by playing it. Now that I've finished the campaign I'll give it a shot. I can't see it being all that amazing though as there are only 5 maps. I consider it to be a bonus they threw in to the game just for the hell of it. And frankly I find the idea of humans and aliens on the same team offensive (there are going to be some house rules when I play it.)

Zeliard

Didn't want to spoil any of the enemy types by playing it. Now that I've finished the campaign I'll give it a shot. I can't see it being all that amazing though as there are only 5 maps. I consider it to be a bonus they threw in to the game just for the hell of it. And frankly I find the idea of humans and aliens on the same team offensive (there are going to be some house rules when I play it.)

Archangel snipers and Muton Berserkers are BFF.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like that, because it prevents people from cheating. If you're not going to cheat, then it's not a problem.

Yeah, I agree, but it just kind of bothers me that the game has already decided what will happen rather than randomize the success of the action at the moment it happens.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
People have been asking for a versus XCOM for ages so I expect it to be more popular once people have played single-player for a while.

Yeah I guess that's true. I also waited until after I beat singleplayer to try MP. Having a blast so far. It's a much different experience when you can't rely on AI abuse, and you have to rely on human abuse :)

I dropped to 7th place overnight tho :(

jhawk6

Yeah, I agree, but it just kind of bothers me that the game has already decided what will happen rather than randomize the success of the action at the moment it happens.

I see where you are coming from with that viewpoint.
Obligatory

youarealreadydead.jpg

Miletius

Think I finally got the hang of Classic. I'm not playing Ironman (only because the bugs have scared me from playing it), but I haven't had to reload at all. I save once at the start of a mission and once when I get back to the base. So far I've only lost 4 guys, and my geoscape is looking great. Lost the Canadians early on from the project so no Air Superiority, but the globe is looking great other than that.

MedIC86

How does the mission difficulty work ingame? im guessing im still fairly early game
have to research the shard thing
and im getting random missions that are either difficult or very difficult, what gives?

How does the mission difficulty work ingame? im guessing im still fairly early game
have to research the shard thing
and im getting random missions that are either difficult or very difficult, what gives?

From what I can gather it's only based off the amount of enemies, not the type.

I did a very difficult on this play through early and it was just a bunch of little Sectoids and a couple of Thin Men.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, you can tell that the game went on sale in Europe: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Code:
Current Players 	Peak Today 	  	Game
80,982 			112,552 	  	Dota 2
64,282 			70,568 	  		XCom-Enemy-Unknown
59,738 			77,429 	  		Team Fortress 2
53,162 			57,594 	  		Borderlands 2
37,422 			43,267 	  		Football Manager 2012
35,941 			55,486 	  		Counter-Strike
32,577 			37,768 	  		The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
30,838 			33,151 	  		Sid Meier's Civilization V
27,149 			40,196 	  		Counter-Strike: Source
20,956 			36,944 	  		Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer
17,673 			19,938 	  		Dishonored
16,527 			20,134 	  		Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
11,714 			12,596 	  		Torchlight II
9,557 			10,529 	  		Garry's Mod
9,446 			10,560 	  		Left 4 Dead 2

Dina

Classic difficulty. 12 Chrysalids and 1 Cyberdisk in a very difficult terror mission? 12/18 saved? Only laser rifles? Ain't nothing for baller squad.

7r7Fh.jpg

tengiants

I don't agree and I hope they stop seeding probability in a patch. They should let Ironman take care of the save scummers. It's already in the game.

The game would almost be perfect if the actions were truly random and individual actions were scored and tallied per playthrough for leader boards.

Hargenx

Why?! WHY?!

This game punish PRIDE like no other...

Find alien base, my best soldier, 3 are from the beginning, armor and weapons fully upgraded, I thought one last fight before the alien base...Oh look, a Very Hard one let's do it...

BANG just one of my man's left, the girl run for her life and now I'm almost fucked for the alien base mission...

Thank you bless Xcom, I love you!

Classic difficulty. 12 Chrysalids and 1 Cyberdisk in a very difficult terror mission? 12/18 saved? Only laser rifles? Ain't nothing for baller squad.

7r7Fh.jpg

It's always interesting to see the set-ups other people run. My team is almost always 3 Assaults, 1 Heavy, 1 Support, 1 Sniper. Having three Assaults with Close Combat Training has proved invaluable during some missions. Sometimes I go with two Assaults and two Heavies, though, if I think I may need more Rocket power. Plus the Rapid Fire perk, and Berserkers are usually dead by the time they get close enough to attack.

Also, I see a lot of people using the Archangel Armor with Snipers, but to me there's nothing more satisfying than having my Heavy take off and drop a grenade down on an unsuspecting group of aliens.

demidar

Prior to Friday the game was hovering closer to like 30K.

It's just strange because Aus is considered a part of Europe (PALland) for distribution and we tend to get things at the same time. Not to mention it can be gotten through DD, so no shipping delays.

IISANDERII

Are sometimes the % pure bullshite or am I not understanding something in the game?
I saved the game right before I go up point blank to a Thinman with the arc, 70% stun probability.
'Miss'
I reloaded the game six times and each and every time I missed. Finally, on the 7th attempt I stun him.
70% me arse.

WTF?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Are sometimes the % pure bullshite or am I not understanding something in the game?
I saved the game right before I go up point blank to a Thinman with the arc, 70% stun probability.
'Miss'
I reloaded the game six times and each and every time I missed. Finally, on the 7th attempt I stun him.
70% me arse.

WTF?

Finally getting a decent run on Classic Ironman. I've captured my first alien and have about 10 soldiers levelled up. I'm under no illusions, a fall is coming. However, I hope that as I have some backup this time I'll be able to regroup and not just go into a death spiral with full squads of rookies.

Flanking is so, so important, both covering your own and exploiting those of the enemy. If you attack head on then 9 times out of 10 you will get slaughtered. Overwatch to keep the enemy in check and then circle round with the Assault soldiers/pick them off with the Snipers.

I get the feeling that I need to quickly get another couple of satelites up... Things are under control at the moment but I imagine that can quickly change. There are so many things that i just absolutely need to buy. I NEED them desperately, but I can only afford one or two things at most each month.

21 hours, game 7, only just getting started. Absolutely brilliant. Game of the decade. :)

Jintor

RNG is seeded at the beginning of turns so if your first action was always to stun, you were always going to miss. The last one you probably made a different action before you stunned? IDK.

randomwab

Played my first terror mission tonight and lost two guys, but ended up saving 14/18 civilians. Thought I was so rad and went on to the first alien base mission and got taken apart. All five squad members KIA. This game is the best.

Top Bottom