• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Ooops.

I had all regions with just 1 blue panic points, and a Terrorizing mission appeared. I thought since I had the least panic points possibles I could just skip this one, nope, it went from 1 to withdrawing from Xcom and the doom tracker raised 1 point -.-

milkham

I just finished my classic play through and noticed that I didn't have the achievement for researching everything in a single game, even though I had nothing left in my research tree in both play throughs, is there something commonly missed? pretty sure i stunned at least one of every alien except the machines.

Ooooookay, just had my first major mission bug out on me. Big UFO landing. Started off fine, made my way up to the door, bunch of Mutons arrived, was dealing with them no problem. Then a second wave came, and Overwatch triggered on the two heavies I had positioned by the door. This then triggered Intimidate on the Mutons, so the camera pulled over to them to show their little animation and then the game just... stopped. It zoomed out as far as possible, the HUD went away, and the music stopped. Weird.

So I force quit the game, load up the last autosave, make it back to the front of the UFO. Everything is going smoothly, until I wipe out the last initial Muton. Instead of having to push forward to wake up the next group, they all run out of the fog of war at the end of my turn, clipping through the door. The cutscene that's supposed to show just shows some random camera angles and I'm thinking ugh, this isn't good. I deal with the Mutons as always and everything is great until...

One just appears. It just literally appears out of thin air. In the middle of my squad. It wasn't even the Alien Activity turn, this just happened in the middle of my turn. A Muton just pops out of thin air, and then gets like three combat steps. He moves, shoots and kills one guy, then moves, and shoots and kills another.

Hopefully the whole save isn't entirely fucked, this is really annoying.

milkham

Did you take down a battleship?

Unlocks some otherwise hidden research

ah interesting, i went back to my original game just to mess around and shot down a battleship and got the achievment for shooting down one of everything but didn't check research, and didn't save it, thanks

Derrick01

Banned

I found one once but that was before I had a bunch of firestorms outfitted with plasma weapons. That fucker took my interceptors down in about 5 seconds. That was what opened my eyes and made me invest heavily into upgrading my flight stuff.

Protein

Banned
I found one once but that was before I had a bunch of firestorms outfitted with plasma weapons. That fucker took my interceptors down in about 5 seconds. That was what opened my eyes and made me invest heavily into upgrading my flight stuff.

How do you upgrade the defense/dodge on Interceptors? I only got them good weapons

So no upgrades for multiple satellites per country?

Nothing terrible has happened to me in 2 months. I'm borderline paranoid-delirious now

Derrick01

Banned
How do you upgrade the defense/dodge on Interceptors? I only got them good weapons

I don't know. All I know about are 1 time items you can buy from engineering that gives them boosts for that battle and then they're gone.

Best bet is to get firestorms and get them plasma weapons. I haven't found another battleship yet but they've taken down everything else, including overseer and very large ships, with very little difficulty.

So no upgrades for multiple satellites per country?

Nothing terrible has happened to me in 2 months. I'm borderline paranoid-delirious now

The one time use dodge is stupid cheap, like 6 credits and one sectoid with 14 engineers

McNum

I don't know. All I know about are 1 time items you can buy from engineering that gives them boosts for that battle and then they're gone.

Best bet is to get firestorms and get them plasma weapons. I haven't found another battleship yet but they've taken down everything else, including overseer and very large ships, with very little difficulty.
Battleships are easy to find. Just let a normal UFO get away. The aliens will think you're asleep at the job and send a Battleship hunting for satellites. Just be aware that Battleships hit HARD. Two shots take out an Interceptor. Haven't tried a Firestorm against one, yet, it's still being built.

So, I think I'm down to only needing to see three more aliens:
Elite Mutons, Etherals and Sectopods
. Berserkers are interesting to fight, although once you realize they can be beaten by either playing keep-away or with a Double Tap sniper with a Plasma Sniper rifle, they're kind of... eh. Also got some Psi up and running. Mutons kept their original weakness. I like that. I also like that Mind Fray some times is accompanied by the soldier doing an evil laugh. But honestly, I think Inspiration is one of the better powers. See psionic enemy? Use inspiration to boost defenses, then kill them.

Asia is getting all panicky, just because I let aliens kidnap people in Japan. But I have a Satellite Nexus and three sats coming up really soon, so that's a problem that's under control. I'll have to replace an Uplink with a Nexus, which will take a little planning. Does the Hypwerwave Scanner give adjacency bonus to regular uplinks?

RyanDG

nDm9z.jpg

WYF84.jpg

Lt. Beck, the rest of my X-Com squad will be forever toasting your name. Your sacrifice will be remembered. You were the best damn Support soldier I've ever had. Fucking Mutons.

Noaloha

I think the dodge one is Floaters right? And each costs about 40 earthbux in addition to the three corpses. Sectoids give you guaranteed hits for the next two shots. I think!

McNum

Is that a Sectopod in that image? It has 30 HP? Interesting.

Also, more fun with Berserkers: A Heavy with the Colonel perk that make Supression do damage. Suppress it for 3 damage (with a Heavy Plasma) and it gets all angry and begins to move. Triggering the free reaction shot you get from suppression. Their AI is just so wonderfully exploitable.

The more streams I watch of this game the harder it is to resist buying it. It looks like a ton of fun though I've noticed a lot of people using the mouse and keyboard controls are having a frustrating time. I just need to finish a game or 2 and I can justify the purchase.

Dram

It's really too bad that Syndicate turned out the way it did. A remake made like XCOM would have been great for the fans and for EA.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The more streams I watch of this game the harder it is to resist buying it. It looks like a ton of fun though I've noticed a lot of people using the mouse and keyboard controls are having a frustrating time. I just need to finish a game or 2 and I can justify the purchase.

You can finish those other games later.

;)

It's really too bad that Syndicate turned out the way it did. A remake made like XCOM would have been great for the fans and for EA.

It certainly would have sold more than the abysmal numbers they managed with that shitty game. Not to mention that it most likely would have been a cheaper game to make too.

Mindlog

Man I hate shit like this.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=102746597

In case its not obvious. That big walker thing is apparently not in line of sight. How the hell am I supposed to attack it? Theres no cover!
Nice timing.
I just ran into that guy for the first time.

New strategies are being formulated.
Please inform the bereaved that their deaths were not in vain.
We managed to recover their armor and weaponry which will be issued it to new recruits.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Fucking irate. What a shitty starting point for a map.

Started this map that is basically one tall building in the middle with the street circling it.

I start in the street, the only form of cover any of my guys can reach is one of those little green smoking alien boxes, and a taxi. I move as many of my guys into cover as will fit and the last person I move sets off the alien cinematic, and aggros like an insane number of bad guys. 6 mutons appear inside the building and outside the building to my side are 2 mutons and one of those huge berserker things. And my turn is over.

They go, wound some of my guys and set the taxi on fire. I have literally no good choice. I have to move all the guys taking cover away from the taxi because its about to explode. The little green box is providing cover to only two people, the other 4 guys can either take shots in the open, or dash to the building, putting them point blank with the 6 mutons inside and no time units left.

Grenades wont reach any of them either the rocket launcher I guess couldnt penetrate the glass of the building so I shot it at the huge thing, and it did nothing. Long story short, some guys ran for the building, some stayed and popped shots... almost everyone died next turn.

I was so raged I alt tabbed and closed the game before it could save (im on ironman). First time I had done that. This scene has repeated itself probably 5 times now. There is absolutely no scenario where my squad survives this mission. Fucking pissed. Literally no cover where it starts me and the enemies engage me before I get to any. FUCK!!!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wanted to try multiplayer but its not working right now.
But the Single Player .... so good.

FStop7

Banned
Fucking irate. What a shitty starting point for a map.

Started this map that is basically one tall building in the middle with the street circling it.

I start in the street, the only form of cover any of my guys can reach is one of those little green smoking alien boxes, and a taxi. I move as many of my guys into cover as will fit and the last person I move sets off the alien cinematic, and aggros like an insane number of bad guys. 6 mutons appear inside the building and outside the building to my side are 2 mutons and one of those huge berserker things. And my turn is over.

They go, wound some of my guys and set the taxi on fire. I have literally no good choice. I have to move all the guys taking cover away from the taxi because its about to explode. The little green box is providing cover to only two people, the other 4 guys can either take shots in the open, or dash to the building, putting them point blank with the 6 mutons inside and no time units left.

Grenades wont reach any of them either the rocket launcher I guess couldnt penetrate the glass of the building so I shot it at the huge thing, and it did nothing. Long story short, some guys ran for the building, some stayed and popped shots... almost everyone died next turn.

I was so raged I alt tabbed and closed the game before it could save (im on ironman). First time I had done that. This scene has repeated itself probably 5 times now. There is absolutely no scenario where my squad survives this mission. Fucking pissed. Literally no cover where it starts me and the enemies engage me before I get to any. FUCK!!!

This is war, soldier. Sacrifices are necessary.

PBalfredo

Question: I've purchased everything I need from the Officer Training Academy and I want to tear it down so I can build a satalite nexus to link to the other ones I have. If I destroy the Officer Academy, do I still get the perks I already bought from there?

I haven't played this game in 2 days since my 24 mission top soldier died.

2 Sectoid Commanders
6 Heavy Floaters
3 Muton Elites
Cyberdisk and 2 drones

AT THE SAME TIME

Feels bad man

Woo-Fu

Banned
Finished classic/ironman with 24 dead soldiers.
Finished normal/ironman with 1 dead soldier. Was avoidable too, dang it.

Dakota47

Dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but the whole Second Wave thing was never finished.

2K Greg said:
Hey guys,

The "Second Wave" settings that some people have found by digging in to the game files was a feature that the team was toying around with, but it was not ever finished by the time the game released. It’s something the dev team at Firaxis is still interested in going back to and working on, but at this point we don’t have any firm plans to share.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wanted to try multiplayer but its not working right now.
But the Single Player .... so good.

There are several things you can try.

Exit to the menu, load a single player save, quit, and retry multiplayer.

Exit Steam, restart the game.

Restart your PC.

scy

So ... is there any harm in procrastinating on "story" Missions? Sitting staring at this
Alien Base
mission and wondering how much longer I can put it off...

How are you meant to deal with the Mechs? They just destroy my squad completely, my two heavies missed two rocket launchers on them now everyone is dead

Woo-Fu

Banned
The one time use dodge is stupid cheap, like 6 credits and one sectoid with 14 engineers

There is only one alien ship where I actually need dodge and by that stage of the game there aren't any sectoids to be found unless you get lucky in a council mission.

Something needs to change there. 2nd playthrough I made 2 of these early on and just saved them for that encounter.

Doesn't do much good when my soldiers can't seem to hit the damn things ever, then the Mechs just turn around and crit everybody

And I have no idea what Heat Ammo is

Skill for heavies that does +100% damage on mechanical enemies.

Also, snipers with double tap + squad sight + a shiv can take one down easily.

Move the SHIV into enemy sight, switch to sniper, shoot, move SHIV to safety. Repeat.

Skill for heavies that does +100% damage on mechanical enemies.

Also, snipers with double tap + squad sight + a shiv can take one down easily.

Move the SHIV into enemy sight, switch to sniper, shoot, move SHIV to safety. Repeat.

After two squad wipes my highest ranked person is a Sgt so not gonna be having any double tap snipers or heat ammo heavies any time soon

Double tap just makes it faster, but it's not essential. You just kill it in 1 more turn. Your snipers wont be in harms way.

Everyone else is never so lucky, the mechs just kill my squad so fast

Ever since I first saw a Mech and it killed 3 of my highest ranked soldiers before I could do anything, this game has been going downhill very fast

Woo-Fu

Banned
You just need to focus fire.

stack up on a chokepoint, draw him in, then charge through and kill it. Make sure you first person through the door is an assault with lightning reflexes or somebody you don't mind sacrificing.

On the other hand if you've had two squad wipes at this stage of the game and don't have any backup experienced soldiers you might as well start over.

Bob 'Gunner' Wood. You were a goddamn hero, man.

I did that and still didn't get it. Wonder what I missed.

For 'Ain't No Cavalry Comin', I guess the unit also can't get wounded? My guy from the tutorial lived until the end, but he didn't go on every mission.

Top Bottom