• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Mesoian

So the final mission is completely bugged for me. Half the time I load it up, it doesn't load my guys into the level. Sometimes It loads my guys in, but then doesn't load in enemies. Sometimes I get to the 3rd room and it never comes back from the cutscene.

I've played through the mission about 6 times now and it either 1 shots the psychic who is required to survive or bugs out. REALLY poor showing for an otherwise really fun game.

It makes me not want to touch the game again until a patch is ready. I honestly don't know how the game got out of QC with as many bugs as it has.

You just need to focus fire.

stack up on a chokepoint, draw him in, then charge through and kill it. Make sure you first person through the door is an assault with lightning reflexes or somebody you don't mind sacrificing.

On the other hand if you've had two squad wipes at this stage of the game and don't have any backup experienced soldiers you might as well start over.

Yeah I probably should but the concept of playing through another 10 hours to get back to this point just makes me feel like I should keep going

For the advanced UFO later in the game, how do you take it down? It took forever but I have two advanced fighters in nearly every country. I'd have items to use but for the last 7 or so hours I've not fought any enemies that'll give me what I need to build them :( Is the damage cumulative within that country (say I hit it, retreat, send another ship right after that) or does a single ship have to shoot it down? I've been at this since this morning and my soldiers are super OP, there's not really any more research and I'm swimming in cash. I've gone from loving to this game to kinda just hoping it'd end.

Everyone else is never so lucky, the mechs just kill my squad so fast

Ever since I first saw a Mech and it killed 3 of my highest ranked soldiers before I could do anything, this game has been going downhill very fast

You should never ever advance during the second move. Move to the blueline, overwatch/hunker down, wait for next turn.

That way if something appears you can react appropriately. Once I started playing that way things got ALOT easier.

For the advanced UFO later in the game, how do you take it down? It took forever but I have two advanced fighters in nearly every country. I'd have items to use but for the last 7 or so hours I've not fought any enemies that'll give me what I need to build them :( Is the damage cumulative within that country (say I hit it, retreat, send another ship right after that) or does a single ship have to shoot it down? I've been at this since this morning and my soldiers are super OP, there's not really any more research and I'm swimming in cash. I've gone from loving to this game to kinda just hoping it'd end.

What do you mean? There's a battleship that appears that can be shot down, and there's
the ship that appears as part of the story missions. You don't shoot that one down, you use the Gollop Chamber from the base menu and advance to the last mission.

Mupod

For 'Ain't No Cavalry Comin', I guess the unit also can't get wounded? My guy from the tutorial lived until the end, but he didn't go on every mission.

I had a support soldier named after my friend and I brought him on every mission except one, because I stupidly sent him in for psi testing. I would have got the achievement for sure, since he had never even taken so much as a shot the entire game (I basically just kept him in the back for healing).

In other news, kinda pissed at the incredibly bullshit death I just had in my classic ironman run. It had been a while since I lost anybody so I guess the game just decided to fuck me.

1. Start turn
2. Cautiously move everybody up just a little bit, put them all on overwatch because cover is plentiful
3. Last guy I move up is my secondary support soldier, need to dash him to high cover but I'm sure it'll be okay-
4. HEY LOOK IT'S MISTER CYBERDISK
5. WOW LOOK HOW FAR I CAN MOVE IN YOUR TURN AND MINE, ISN'T THIS AWESOME
6. FIVE REACTION FIRE SHOTS? YEAH WHATEVER MISS MISS MISS
7. drives right up next to my support and crits him for 10 million.

Goddamn RNG-abusing suicide robots.

milkham

I took down the battleship and got the stuff,
i was hoping it would work the way the original did and just send the bomb anywhere you want

You should never ever advance during the second move. Move to the blueline, overwatch/hunker down, wait for next turn.

That way if something appears you can react appropriately. Once I started playing that way things got ALOT easier.

First time I encountered a mech I had no idea there was even Mechs in the game, had my squad positioned at all the entrances to the enemy bridge, opened the door and the mech appeared and killed 2 of my people by just shooting through the walls.

Also do rocket launchers not hurt mechs? Because every rocket I fire at them seems to not do any damage

milkham

First time I encountered a mech I had no idea there was even Mechs in the game, had my squad positioned at all the entrances to the enemy bridge, opened the door and the mech appeared and killed 2 of my people by just shooting through the walls.

Also do rocket launchers not hurt mechs? Because every rocket I fire at them seems to not do any damage

pretty much the same thing happend to me, walking down a hallway with my sniper in the back, then WTF is this with the wall of health! people died.

rockets and grenades don't do anything to it as far as i've seen.

you could try popping smoke and using suppressing fire and hope the death beams miss

I haven't customized any of my soldiers. At the start the plan was to name them after they ranked up a few times... but there is something so damn addicting to seeing what names the game comes up with that when it comes time to re-name them I don't because I've actually become attached to the names already and don't bother.

This game is magic, I'm so glad I jumped in.

Mupod

Oh, funny little easter egg...if you research the plasma rifle before the laser rifle, you get an alternate cutscene.
The target has the old Muton art instead of the old Sectoid.

What do you mean? There's a battleship that appears that can be shot down, and there's
the ship that appears as part of the story missions. You don't shoot that one down, you use the Gollop Chamber from the base menu and advance to the last mission.

My current objective is to intercept the Overseer UFO.

Zeliard

I haven't customized any of my soldiers. At the start the plan was to name them after they ranked up a few times... but there is something so damn addicting to seeing what names the game comes up with that when it comes time to re-name them I don't because I've actually become attached to the names already and don't bother.

This game is magic, I'm so glad I jumped in.

The built-in nicknames are boss, and somehow they manage to fit perfectly. My top sniper was bestowed with the nick "Stalker" and another got "Odin." Had a Support named "Magic Man" and another "Doc." Two heavies were nicknamed "Moose" and "Yeti," and an Assault got "Geronimo."

I thought I was being clever when I sent a single assault guy up to get its attention and take out its drones, then duck back round the corner where all my guys were set up on overwatch. Except instead of following me, it just buggered off and I ended up losing a Colonel, a Major and a Captain trying to close in on it, while it just chilled out in a blind spot lobbing unsighted artillery every other turn. A very painful lesson to learn...

They don't. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but they take no damage. Even with the plasma launcher.

I have returned, and I must say that this is probably my GOTY, up there with Dark Souls, FTL, and Deus Ex Human Revolution for my GOTG. Incredible incredible incredible!!

Beardz

Bomb defuse mission, all aliens are gone, bomb defused... Mission over, right? No!, suddenly 5 Thin Men fall from the sky **ALL my soldiers are dead**

I wanted to throw my controller to the wall! I'm tempted to say "fuck ironman" ugh!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the consensus on the console versions, did they turn out well? I'll probably be picking this up over Black Friday if it gets any good deals.

mrgone

Does the sniper have Snap Shot? The two abilities may interfere with each other.

I'm having some trouble with Snap Shot. The text on the abilities page seems to imply that the penalty applies to all shots, but the penalty text states that it only applies after a move (which would make the most sense). The penalty appears when you put a sniper that hasn't moved into overwatch, which seems to support the ability page text, and significantly degrades an ability that already seems much less useful in practice than its opposite on the tree (squad sight).

Also, what's the deal with foundry upgrades? I upgraded my S.C.O.P.E.s, but the upgrade doesn't seem to appear anywhere, at least not in text. Even if it doesn't apply retroactively there's no manufacturing option for the improved units, and building more just gives me the old non-upgraded units.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm having some trouble with Snap Shot. The text on the abilities page seems to imply that the penalty applies to all shots, but the penalty text states that it only applies after a move (which would make the most sense). The penalty appears when you put a sniper that hasn't moved into overwatch, which seems to support the ability page text, and significantly degrades an ability that already seems much less useful than its opposite on the tree (squad sight).

Also, what's the deal with foundry upgrades? I upgraded my S.C.O.P.E.s, but the upgrade doesn't seem to appear anywhere, at least not in text. Even if it doesn't apply retroactively there's no manufacturing option for the improved units, and building more just gives me the old non-upgraded units.

It applies to all your existing and future scopes.

Like, after the medkit upgrade, all your medkits heal more thereafter.

mrgone

It applies to all your existing and future scopes.

Like, after the medkit upgrade, all your medkits heal more thereafter.

I figured they'd at least add something the text or replace the old graphic with the new one from the foundry to indicate that something's changed. :p Crit. chance does seem higher, but I mostly attributed that to my snipers' high ranks and delicious plasma rifles.

edit: Thanks! You're absolutely correct on this, just confirmed it with my latest mission. Still puzzling that the descriptions don't update to reflect the changes, but the upgrades indeed carry through.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Germany and France withdrew from the XCOM project. ;_;
I cant save the whole world so im focusing on Latin America and Asia.

BTW anyone else has issues aiming grenades? My cursor always goes crazy.

Sotha Sil

Germany and France withdrew from the XCOM project. ;_;
I cant save the whole world so im focusing on Latin America and Asia.

BTW anyone else has issues aiming grenades? My cursor always goes crazy.

Yeah, aiming with the KB/M is hell.

Oh, and it's "Lyon, France", not "Lyons, France". Probably the most offensive error in the game; for shame, Firaxis.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I can't even make it through first mission on impossible. Even when I'm doing OK the game spawns new sectoids RIGHT ON TOP OF MY PLAYERS. WTF is that shit?

Beardz

Global gameplay stats:

163611-1015201240704am.png

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I lost my first operative in the most dumb way possible.... exploding car. T_T

What's up with Matchmaking? I couldn't get into any matches, quit and restart, played a Quick Match, then couldn't get into any again. I don't want to have to keep restarting.

DrBo42

Game is so amazing and incredibly frustrating. I hope they come out with some sort of co-op functionality as an expansion. Maybe built into the sequel.

Top Bottom