• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

So I've been playing classic Ironman, I had to start over for the second time. I just started my 3rd game and I only just realized that the engineers can work on more than 1 thing at a time. No wonder I've been having problems keeping countries when I've been building 1 satellite at a time lol.

I did my part.
Game purchased.

My futile mission to save the planet begins tonight.
I am already having my XCom secretaries prepare KIA letters to family members of my 'soon-to-be' soldiers.

*salutes*

Had a dude named after my best friend. He was killed by a muton. Named a female rookie after his wife, her call sign is "Vengeance".

My first guy to get a call sign was my crazy assault trooper with a shotgun, who would literally run straight into battle and shotgun aliens in the face at point blank range.

Call sign? "Mad Man."

Unity2012

I am playing the PC version; but would like to hear your experience (s) with the Xbox version of the game, especially if the console got the patch the pc version received.

FStop7

Banned
What are you guys running as a typical squad configuration?

I've had good luck with the following:

1 Support equipped with medikit+carapace armor
2 Assault equipped with grenade/medikit
1 Heavy equipped with SCOPE
2 Snipers equipped with SCOPE

On high risk missions (especially terror missions since I know there will be chryssalids) I run 2 support and 1 assault for the extra healing capacity.

I always focus on keeping the squad moving as a blob. Not bunched together tightly, but also not spread far apart. Everyone is within running distance of each other. The units on point are constantly leapfrogging each other. The one in front goes into overwatch and the one behind moves ahead. Etc. And the snipers are always at the rear flanks in overwatch. Squad sight lets them see what the point men see. They have saved my point men several times.

Anyone else find they just get too emotionally attached in Iron man games? After a pitched battle I found myself totally useless for the rest of the day because of the adrenaline high right before.

I am playing the PC version; but would like to hear your experience (s) with the Xbox version of the game, especially if the console got the patch the pc version received.

I've been playing on the 360 and I haven't had any troubles so far. I haven't had to download any new patches since I started playing I don't think. The control scheme works pretty well, I played the PC demo and there isn't any real lag on moving around like there was with the mouse movement.

Pretty much this except I gave my heavy a grenade. A SCOPE probably would be smarter since their aim is so bad.

Salsa

Gonna start another playthrough, this time on normal but on ironman. I just feel stupid having the possibility to quickload

Woo-Fu

Banned
The accuracy penalty for reaction fire must be pretty steep.

JH15J.jpg

That's XCOM.

Derrick01

Banned
Finished the game. I went 43 and 1 in battles, the 1 loss coming from an alien killing a VIP I had to extract, so I think I'll be upping the difficulty next time. Pretty fun game.

demidar

http://i.imgur.com/JH15J.jpg[IMG]

That's XCOM.[/QUOTE]

[quote="demidar, post: 43217913"]Sectopod standing out in the open. Fires six times at it. All misses. Holy fuck.[/QUOTE]

Beat that.

I usually ran with 4 assaults, a sniper and a support. Later I started putting in plasma hover SHIVs and heavies since I had a lot of leeway and I can't get 3-shotted. I had 4 assaults because the game wouldn't give me anything else and I was strapped for cash early on.

On high risk missions (especially terror missions since I know there will be chryssalids) I run 2 support and 1 assault for the extra healing capacity.

2 Snipers (Archangel armor/SCOPE)
1 Assault (Titan armor/Chitin Plating)
2 Support (Ghost armor/Chitin Plating and SCOPE + Psi Armor/Medkit and SCOPE)
1 Heavy (Psi Armor/SCOPE)

I'm slowly leveling up some late game psionic soldiers to take the place of my early game vets. My main guy in particularly has suffered so many grave injuries that his Will is a joke. He'll get a desk job as soon as his sniper replacement is ready to take his place.

On snipers: I'm really having a hard time choosing whether double tap is better than In the Zone. I have wiped out entire squads of aliens with my ItZ Sniper. Shot after shot after shot. Those free turns are just ridiculously awesome and unlike Double Tap they can be used for more than just firing. However, In The Zone is much more situational. I guess it comes down to the chance for several actions in a single turn or an almost guaranteed chance to fire an extra shot a turn. My new psi-sniper is about to level up and I'll have to decide between the two. >.<

Edit:

http://i.imgur.com/JH15J.jpg

That's XCOM.
Well one of those guys is a heavy so his shot was almost certain to miss. =[

Skirn

Just lost my highest ranking (Colonel) soldier, the Argentinian Heavy from the tutorial. He got surrounded by Chryssalids after I'd sent him out, dashingly, to an unexplored area. Feels bad, man...

I'm currently playing on Normal Ironman (which feels a tad too easy, honestly), but may restart in Classic Ironman now that I've got a feel of the game mechanics. Just how much more difficult is Classic compared to Normal?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Hmm, I've hired soldiers before, but it looks like none are appearing in my list when I order new recruits now. It lists 13 soldiers but I'm using 19 capacity.

Yea, I'm really not sure what's going on with Reaction shots, I've noticed that

A) You're characters will take shots at things with no Line of Sight.
B) reaction shots at close range seem much more likely to hit
C) Reaction shots at things through walls seem to miss
D) If there are multiple things moving, your guys will take the worst shot it seems

Zeliard

Since your squad is so much smaller I actually find this game to be even more tense than the original. So many nail-biting moments on Classic Ironman where you're praying a hit lands (or misses if it's coming at you), since a single shot can have enormous repercussions especially in the early-mid game.

OK, I wasnt aware of this game much.

Didnt even know the XCOM franchise.

However, saw all the praise here on GAF and decided to try the demo. Really, really liked it.

2 questions:

1) Does the demo represent the game well?

2) If it does, where is the cheapest I can get it now? :p

garath

2 Snipers (Archangel armor/SCOPE)
1 Assault (Titan armor/Chitin Plating)
2 Support (Ghost armor/Chitin Plating and SCOPE + Psi Armor/Medkit and SCOPE)
1 Heavy (Psi Armor/SCOPE)

I'm slowly leveling up some late game psionic soldiers to take the place of my early game vets. My main guy in particularly has suffered so many grave injuries that his Will is a joke. He'll get a desk job as soon as his sniper replacement is ready to take his place.

On snipers: I'm really having a hard time choosing whether double tap is better than In the Zone. I have wiped out entire squads of aliens with my ItZ Sniper. Shot after shot after shot. Those free turns are just ridiculously awesome and unlike Double Tap they can be used for more than just firing. However, In The Zone is much more situational. I guess it comes down to the chance for several actions in a single turn or an almost guaranteed chance to fire an extra shot a turn. My new psi-sniper is about to level up and I'll have to decide between the two. >.<

Edit:

Well one of those guys is a heavy so his shot was almost certain to miss. =[

I'm guessing it depends on if you took squad site or snap shot. With squad site, my snipers sit WAY back as high as I can get them and snipes anything my squad can see. My sniper is almost NEVER in a position to get a flank shot. Open shot maybe, but I usually only get those if I flush enemies or I get an overwatch shot off.

However, saw all the praise here on GAF and decided to try the demo. Really, really liked it.

2 questions:

imo, the demo is just a taste and doesn't even come close to the depth and fun of the full. If you liked the demo, you'll love the full game. Can't comment on where you can get it cheap. Probably GMG. Don't know if there are any codes floating around.

2 questions:

I believe that it's a descent vertical slice, but the nitty gritty of it is of course even better. i love the synergy of the skills as you rank up. I will say this, as others said early in the thread; if you get the game start with the tutorial just to get your feet wet, but then just restart with it off. I found myself in a much better position (financially, base building, and alive squad mates) when I got to make all of the choices myself.

imo, the demo is just a taste and doesn't even come close to the depth and fun of the full. If you liked the demo, you'll love the full game. Can't comment on where you can get it cheap. Probably GMG. Don't know if there are any codes floating around.

Thanks! :)

Got it on GMG with a voucher for $40. Just have to wait for the 13GB download now :p

I believe that it's a descent vertical slice, but the nitty gritty of it is of course even better. i love the synergy of the skills as you rank up. I will say this, as others said early in the thread; if you get the game start with the tutorial just to get your feet wet, but then just restart with it off. I found myself in a much better position (financially, base building, and alive squad mates) when I got to make all of the choices myself.

Will do! Thanks! :)

EDIT - Is the tutorial the same as the demo or something else?

Tacitus_

Difficulty and RNG fuckery I can get, but now the game has just started cheating. Squads keep spawning next to my troops. I just had a floater pack spawn and a cyberdisk has been popping up randomly in a terror mission.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Whats this I read earlier about Overwatch only being worth it for snipers to use. I seem to never get snipers to hit but my assault almost always hits em. Guess thats X-COM? (Along with killing my squad on terror missions because those damn four-legged aliens can move up to half the DAMN MAP!)

garath

Whats this I read earlier about Overwatch only being worth it for snipers to use. I seem to never get snipers to hit but my assault almost always hits em. Guess thats X-COM? (Along with killing my squad because those damn four-legged aliens can move up to half the DAMN MAP!)

People are smoking something if they say overwatch is only useful for snipers. Later in the game I set up choke points with 5 guys on overwatch and run my ghost support in the middle of the map for vision. Once I pinpoint them I reveal to get them to move and mow them down.

Difficulty and RNG fuckery I can get, but now the game has just started cheating. Squads keep spawning next to my troops. I just had a floater pack spawn and a cyberdisk has been popping up randomly in a terror mission.

I've had that happen before :( Packs of enemies just appearing out of nowhere right next to my guys then getting their free move to roam around and get into better position. Ugly.

Someone explain the replay value of this game.

I know there are all the different difficulty levels, but that's the same with almost every game out there and I rarely replay based on fancying more of a challenge - more so because of new experiences or the like.

Whats this I read earlier about Overwatch only being worth it for snipers to use. I seem to never get snipers to hit but my assault almost always hits em. Guess thats X-COM? (Along with killing my squad on terror missions because those damn four-legged aliens can move up to half the DAMN MAP!)

The aim penalties in Overwatch are kinda harsh and make you miss a lot. I guess the idea is that snipers by nature have better aim to compensate for that, but that really just depends on the situation and, of course, luck.
However, there is an ability that removes the aim penalty, which is nice.

Btw. snipers on elevated positions are fucking incredible. I always love it when I have a mission in a metropolitan area.

Noaloha

Just spent the last night save/reloading a bunch in the first month to see if it's at *all* possible to get a second satellite uplink built before the first Council Meeting.

Sadly -- though hardly surprisingly -- I think the conclusion is 'Not A Fucking Chance Kiddo.'

Painfully close though. I was able to get to a point where I'd have it built by April 1st, two days too late. Now though, I'm interested in making note of whether the 'global events' -- Abduction-1, UFO-1, Abduction-2, Council Mission-1, UFO-2, etc. -- always occur on fixed dates. In theory, if the first Abduction mission happens on the 5th (where I kept seeing it occur on the 8th), then the Uplink-In-March is possible.

Lingitiz

Someone explain the replay value of this game.

I know there are all the different difficulty levels, but that's the same with almost every game out there and I rarely replay based on fancying more of a challenge - more so because of new experiences or the like.

Ironman mode is a totally different game because you are limited to one save and have to live with the consequences.

Aside from the main missions, no two playthroughs will be the same due to randomization of missions and different base building strategies based on your level of income. Unless you've mastered the game, you will rarely (if ever) accomplish everything you want to do in a single run. To me, it really doesn't feel like a game where you finish it the first time and say "Well I've accomplished everything there is to offer," although that might be because I just suck.

Yeah I know they can jump around the map. But these three just popped inside my formation after my first move on the map. I hadn't even had any contact with aliens!
Usually they move into view like most enemies. But I've seen floaters and cyberdiscs appear in the middle of the map. Definately a problem.

coldfoot

Banned
My soldiers' accuracy jumps to 100% when they panic. Had a Muton throw a grenade to my two soldiers behind cover injuring them and panicking them both. They both shot the Muton with the second shot killing it. That's after a turn of missing shots against the same Muton.

I also think this game does not show or calculate probabilities all that well. The random number generator is clearly broken.

FStop7

Banned

There's got to be an additional roll happening for "critical miss" that is not included in those percentages. Either that or those percentages are made up.

There's a sniper perk that negates the reaction shot penalty. It's gold.

masterkajo

Oh wow. Just had my first run in with a sectopod. Playing on classic ironman and after some initial troubles (and 7 classic ironman attemps before) I managed to get satellite coverage over all of the world except Australia and India. Both have withdrawn. Having 5 Firestorms with Plasma Canons in the air and a squad of almost all veterans with Plasma weapons and Titan armor made me feel cocky, I guess. Long story short, I find this guy after a heavy fight with heavy floaters and muton elites, he shots a barrage of rockets and 4 of my team are dead. Luckily I still got my 2 snipers (they were back a bit) who managed to finish it.

Love this game!

Top Bottom