• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
*small UFO scout downed in Germany*

Well, this looks like a great opportunity to train my rookies and climb the ranks

*three mutons out of nowhere*

fuck

garath

I can feel the end coming in my normal ironman. I am infinitely sad that it won't be a no death playthrough but it is what it is. Satellites are overpowered. I have satellites over everything and my income is around 1500/mo after expenses. I only lost Brazil all through this.

I will definitely start a classic ironman after this but I don't expect it to go near as well. A few times I've been in a pinch and could see the way the enemies could smoke me and they just didn't do it. But on the flip side I should handle the metagame much better. We'll see.

Loving this game, but I am. so. broke.

Also G.O.B. Bluth died last night TT. As did Baby Buster. And Maeby. It was a damned Bluth Bloodbath. I decided to let the dead rest, and not reload, but I'm running out of Bluths, and will soon have to start naming my soldiers after increasingly minor characters.

Oppo

Also G.O.B. Bluth died last night TT. As did Baby Buster. And Maeby. It was a damned Bluth Bloodbath. I decided to let the dead rest, and not reload, but I'm running out of Bluths, and will soon have to start naming my soldiers after increasingly minor characters.

I do have a Cpl. Bob "Lawblog" Loblaw, Support trooper who is quite effective.

J Walter Weatherman, Activated.

"That is why you always leave a note"

Totakeke

For the items that has no research purposes, you can just sell them right?

Just did my first alien base assault late june on classic ironman with no casualties. One berserker muton ran from the first room to the second room, and a drone group spawned on top of my squad, but no big deal. Tried to capture the last enemy in the base but my only unit with the arc thrower got turned. I'm still using carapace armor with plasma weapons but the game feels pretty steady now.

How do you unlock the other late game armors? I only have titan armor research at the moment.

Edit: Nevermind, saw the tech tree a page back. You definitely don't need light plasma rifle researched to get plasma rifle though.

Other than some quirks, It's worthwhile to comment on how damn fine the AI in this game is. I'm not sure if it's great in a "impossibly good tactician" sense, but that it's tenacious to make fights interesting, it's smart enough to try to flank, but dumb enough to get caught in the open. even though the game's RNG sometimes feels like it's cheating, the AI doesn't, it appears to act on impcomplete information and you can punish it for that if you set the trap.

K.Sabot

I haven't made it to the later game, so I'm still getting wiped out by Cyberdisks. But damn, this game is the best strategy game I've played since Galactic Civilizations 2.

Totakeke

Other than some quirks, It's worthwhile to comment on how damn fine the AI in this game is. I'm not sure if it's great in a "impossibly good tactician" sense, but that it's tenacious to make fights interesting, it's smart enough to try to flank, but dumb enough to get caught in the open. even though the game's RNG sometimes feels like it's cheating, the AI doesn't, it appears to act on impcomplete information and you can punish it for that if you set the trap.

That is true. I haven't really had any moments where I thought the AI was being dumb. Outsiders are brutal early game on how adept it seems to be.

Maiger

Well, fuck. My first terror mission. Started quite nicely, but things went quickly downhill and I barely managed to escape from the chasing cryssalids, they were standing just two blocks away from me when I got my two survivors back to safety. Lost three good soldiers.. Well, two, one was rookie. Anyway, got to the after mission report, and it seems my computer didn't like the outcome very much and decided to crash. I hadn't saved, and I'm not playing on Ironman because of the game jarring bugs, so I get to try the mission again. Yay..

Mupod

My only real annoyance are the psychic grenades. I had two soldiers completely out of sight behind a mountain and some Muton somehow knew they were there. It was fine since they were full hp and he ignored the half dead guy who was up on the hill though.

My favorite is when a bunch of Mutons all crowd behind some cars on that one bridge map. Hello rockets!

El'Kharn

How do the PC and xbox versions compare?
I dont have windows 7 so i cant get it on pc and i dont want to play it on xbox if its a shitty port

Beaulieu

I dont have windows 7 so i cant get it on pc and i dont want to play it on xbox if its a shitty port

xbox version has better controls and less camera bugs (irrevelent if you play on the PC with a 360 controller)
Pc version has and will have better patch support

xbox version isnt a shitty port

Do adjascent facilities bonus apply on the vertical or only horizontal ?

Bittercup

Digital Foundry released their face-off today:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xcom-face-off
the performance isn't especially great but given that it's a turn based game I don't think it matters that much.
Besides visuals are ok and the controls work fine with a gamepad as well. The PC is certainly the better version, but if that's not an option in your case there's nothing wrong with picking up the Xbox360 version. It's not a bad port :)

Rufus

Finished my first game recently. Loving this game. Next up, Classic Ironman.

I get the sense that they formalized the way you play the original if you played fast and lose and somewhat lazily (aka only build one main base, have the rest mainly for Hangars so you can intercept, etc.). I like that a whole lot.

Most pathetic squadwipe:

I move a guy up to a position next to a destroyed wall for the single spot of full cover it provides. His is the last action of the turn, and immediately afterwards the wall collapses in front of him as it was in a patch of fire from a previous explosion. He's immediately shot dead now he's not in cover at all. This causes a guy near to him to panic and critical hit kill another of my soldiers. My last guy panics and hunkers down behind the car he's using for cover. An enemy shoots at him and misses, setting the car on fire. The first panicing guy gets cut down by enemy fire, causing the car guy to panic into my next turn.

Then the car blows up.

masterkajo

Most pathetic squadwipe:

I move a guy up to a position next to a destroyed wall for the single spot of full cover it provides. His is the last action of the turn, and immediately afterwards the wall collapses in front of him as it was in a patch of fire from a previous explosion. He's immediately shot dead now he's not in cover at all. This causes a guy near to him to panic and critical hit kill another of my soldiers. My last guy panics and hunkers down behind the car he's using for cover. An enemy shoots at him and misses, setting the car on fire. The first panicing guy gets cut down by enemy fire, causing the car guy to panic into my next turn.

Then the car blows up.

I will never understand that panicked soldiers shoot their own. I get that they run away, hunker down or take a shot at the enemy but not shooting at their own guys.

KKRT00

I've just tried Impossible Ironman - god damn. Its doable, but so unfair at the beginning. Just imagine that every time You are trying to aim for alien, its max 45% hit chance :)
Hunker down though is really usable, but aliens on Impossible arent that akin to leave their cover or move to much, so You cant trap them, and if You get into really bad map design, its certain massacre for You, or just boring standing in the cover and waiting for enemy move.

I've just tried Impossible Ironman - god damn. Its doable, but so unfair at the beginning. Just imagine that every time You are trying to aim for alien, its max 45% hit chance :)
Hunker down though is really usable, but aliens on Impossible arent that akin to leave their cover or move to much, so You cant trap them, and if You get into really bad map design, its certain massacre for You, or just boring standing in the cover and waiting for enemy move.

And your units only start with 3 health! Even sectoids can kill them in one non-critical hit. There's no margin for error, which makes unlucky dice rolls to frustrating. One series of missed shots at a bad time, and it doesn't matter what strategy you use, it over. I'm trying to slog me way through it until I get some higher rank units with some actual abilities that will let me use more advanced tactics, but early is on a pain because of how limited you are.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I will never understand that panicked soldiers shoot their own. I get that they run away, hunker down or take a shot at the enemy but not shooting at their own guys.

The way I see it, "Rk Timedog takes a plasma shot to the face, burning half of his body and tearing away chunks of his head. In desperation and sheer panic he lifts his rifle taking aim at the closest silhouette of a shadowy figure and squeezes off a couple of rounds."

Sadly, that figure was... *sniff* Sq Devolution. R.I.P gurl.

KKRT00

And your units only start with 3 health! Even sectoids can kill them in one non-critical hit. There's no margin for error, which makes unlucky dice rolls to frustrating. One series of missed shots at a bad time, and it doesn't matter what strategy you use, it over. I'm trying to slog me way through it until I get some higher rank units with some actual abilities that will let me use more advanced tactics, but early is on a pain because of how limited you are.

Yep, pretty sure the beginning is the worst. I'm considering now, if its even worth frustration of starting game over and over, just to get into the better part of the game.

Beaulieu

Most pathetic squadwipe:

Then the car blows up.

that hilarious

masterkajo

SOMETHING MOVED AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

*bang bang bang*

The way I see it, "Rk Timedog takes a plasma shot to the face, burning half of his body and tearing away chunks of his head. In desperation and sheer panic he lifts his rifle taking aim at the closest silhouette of a shadowy figure and squeezes off a couple of rounds."

Sadly, that figure was... *sniff* Sq Devolution. R.I.P gurl.

Ok... get it now. Still if someone kills one of his own and makes it back alive he won't be going on missions again - except maybe "Drifter "(squad sight sniper) or "Mama Bear" (heavy trained in rockets).

Despera

Banned
i have a strange issue when Berserk is on screen and moving the entire game runs at nil frames per second. (PC version)
I have something similar. When the Berserker's turn ends or he moves after being intimidated, the game slows down a bit before going for the next turn. PC version as well, btw.

McNum

"The Cyberdisk is practically invulnerable in its closed form."

Someone should tell my Sniper and Heavy. On second thought, don't, they'll just start bragging. If I lose these two, it'll be a lot, lot harder to win the game... Good thing this isn't an Ironman, then. Although I've only reloaded once and it's September now. Acceptable losses are a thing, even on normal.

It's amazing how they kept the sense of escalation in the game. When Mutons appear they're deadly, scary, something to avoid and be really careful around. Now with plasma weapons, my Sniper takes out two each turn, if she can see them, and the other soldiers aren't slow either. So it's about time for the aliens to step up their game. Bring on the Sectopods and Etherals!

Just need to finish my set of endgame armor and I'm ready to power through, I think. Although I haven't unlocked Psi Armor yet, but I have nothing left to research. Low Credits due to bad satellite planning has left me without the Credits needed to build the Hyperwave Decoder. Well, I spent it on guns, armor, and fighter jets, but you know. Priorities. The next UFO to fly in Europe is in for a surprise. I need to build more of those.

demidar

Plasma hovering SHIV > Sectopod, I have found. Suppressing Sectopods is the way to go, can't move, and is as good at shooting as a baby-faced rookie.

Also flying is so cool, though I doubt a person can snipe easily while flying in real life.

El'Kharn

Digital Foundry released their face-off today:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xcom-face-off
the performance isn't especially great but given that it's a turn based game I don't think it matters that much.
Besides visuals are ok and the controls work fine with a gamepad as well. The PC is certainly the better version, but if that's not an option in your case there's nothing wrong with picking up the Xbox360 version. It's not a bad port :)

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Line of Sight is so bug ridden. I had 4 guys with a shot on a thin man, my support takes the first shot and wrecks his cover, now all of a sudden no one has LOS on him? I also often get the Sqaud sight available icon on a sniper, but it still won't let me take the shot.

wut?

LOS definitely has issues and the problem with it being so unreliable is that you have to commit to certain moves without knowing if you will have LOS on an enemy (unless somebody knows a way to tell if you will have LOS when you to a position on the field), ie run and gun against a bersker mutton and you are counting on your rapid fire assault with a shotgun.

"Hey what do you mean I can't see the guy, I am standing right next to him!"

I love using my flying SHIV to flush out enemy positions and position everybody. Also, I am sure this is obvious to most people, but don't commit both moves for your units until you move your other pieces.

Beaulieu

Plasma hovering SHIV > Sectopod, I have found. Suppressing Sectopods is the way to go, can't move, and is as good at shooting as a baby-faced rookie.

Also flying is so cool, though I doubt a person can snipe easily while flying in real life.

About that
I made an hovering SHIV and it had no gun. Couldnt shoot. Was that a bug ? I dont get it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Cant believe they released the game with the grenade aiming busted as it is.
Game is still awesome though.

inky

Cant believe they released the game with the grenade aiming busted as it is.
Game is still awesome though.

I think it could have a bit better range, or even couple of bounces, but I haven't had a problem with it. You can even aim through windows which helps a lot against groups of enemies or small cover blocking your LoS.

Edit: Oh, I'm using controller here, that's why.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I haven't had any issues aiming grenades/rockets. What's busted about it?
I think it could have a bit better range, or even couple of bounces, but I haven't had a problem with it. You can even aim through windows which helps a lot against groups of enemies or small cover blocking your LoS.

The cursor goes crazy and starts to move by itself.
I know that other gaffers had the same issue.

Its probably a bug then.

The cursor goes crazy and starts to move by itself.
I know that other gaffers had the same issue.

Its probably a bug then.

I find that if I'm trying to target an area of the map that has accessible map directly above or below, the cursor will sometimes get confused about which elevation I'm targeting and flicker among them. I'll have to position the camera just right to get the cursor to stop. Doesn't happen very frequently to me.

Mindlog

To get the FULL list of controls, features and much more, visit:
www.2kgames.com/manual/XCOMEU

Are psi-combat checks tied to Will? I have a born-hard Col Sniper McMinderaser that got critically injured. He now has close to the will of a rookie and I was under the impression that will was boosted by promotions. If so he should have done the honorable thing and joined the memorial wall.

FUCKKKKKKK

Can't stop thinking about this freakin' game. Why am I at work? The WORLD is at stake!!!!

True story, I just Im'd my boss this, didn't even realized till after I typed it in and sent it.

"The debug script is ready for deployment commander."

I don't think she realized what I was referencing LOL.

Top Bottom