• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Ketch

Yea, almost down with my first run. Normal Ironman... I think my next run will be Classic Ironman with a 360 pad instead of M+kb.

Anybody play much multiplayer? wondering what's more fun, low point limits or unlimited points?

Seems like it would be more fun to play with the cooler tech.. but not if there's like a flying sniper just one shotting everything. Also, I feel low point limit may lead to harder choices when making your squad or possibly a really unbalanced borked build that everyone ends up using.

Are psi-combat checks tied to Will? I have a born-hard Col Sniper McMinderaser that got critically injured. He now has close to the will of a rookie and I was under the impression that will was boosted by promotions. If so he should have done the honorable thing and joined the memorial wall.

I'm pretty sure they are, which is why the Mind Shield boosts will by like +30. As you've found, elite troops with low will become useless liabilities at the end of the game. I had one awesome max rank assault class dude who got me through a big chunk of my first overall win that I had to leave at home by the end as his constant brushes with death left him with like 20 will stat making him a walking mind control magnet.

garath

I find that if I'm trying to target an area of the map that has accessible map directly above or below, the cursor will sometimes get confused about which elevation I'm targeting and flicker among them. I'll have to position the camera just right to get the cursor to stop. Doesn't happen very frequently to me.

You can make the cursor target better by using F and C to raise and lower the elevation of your view. It'll make it so you can target the right level.

The camera is a little wonky on some maps. I've misclicked a few times - "No! I didn't want to go stand out in the middle of the street with no cover, I wanted to stand on the truck!"

Use F and C. It does help.

I don't really have any experience with this genre but I think I'm going to try Normal Ironman for my first attempt. I love the idea of living with the consequences, I'm just a little nervous about bugs.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You can make the cursor target better by using F and C to raise and lower the elevation of your view. It'll make it so you can target the right level.

Still shite. I cannot believe how TERRIBLE is grenade and rocket aiming. Not just due to wonky controls, but the inability to pinpoint the landing point of the explosives. The game forces you to take aim at your enemie's feet and nowhere else.

Requiem for Humanity

Smoke burning nostrils with the smell of seared flesh, Lt. Abel barely steadies himself as a shock wave blows him back down to the ground. As he bleeds out he sees Col. Coaltrain shotgun a slim man’s head clear off. At least I was avenged was his last words, despite the roaring flames and sounds of munitions all around him; Abel is at peace he looks up at the light, no it’s his brother welcoming another fallen soldier into Valhalla.

Col Coaltrain alone, flanked with nowhere to go pulls the pin on his grenade, for earth he scream…a scream so load it would probably be heard for blocks away.. if there was anyone left alive that could hear.
Nations fall, from space the bright white lights of the powerful nations are replaced by glowing red splotches that signals humanities fiery fall.
As communication systems break down one final message comes in clearly..Xcom has been disbanded.
Transmission End

...Boot/Load/New Game..
Starting Transmission/check Signal/Broadcasting
Time to Start my second Classic Ironman game, this time without the tutorial.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Still shite. I cannot believe how TERRIBLE is grenade and rocket aiming. Not just due to wonky controls, but the inability to pinpoint the landing point of the explosives.

my favorite is:

<spends five minutes trying to get the cursor to fire on desired location>

<shoots shredder rocket>

<shredder rocket hits cover where 3 of my own guys are located and kills them>

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
my favorite is:

<spends five minutes trying to get the cursor to fire on desired location>

<shoots shredder rocket>

<shredder rocket hits cover where 3 of my own guys are located and kills them>

I had the pleasure to see that yesterday but with a regular rocket and a vehicle serving as cover (which of course, blew up to all fuck).

I ragequit and went for some icecream.

Edit: Oddly enough, Mutons have some crazy grenade aim whenever you are hiding behind a car. Jesus.

Ok, thats enough, they can rename Impossible to Lottery ...

I've done better since I ditched the starting units and recruited new ones. New recruits have 6 health, double that of the default soldiers and that makes a huge difference.

It's still a lottery though yeah. Though at least they don't get one-shotted by sectoids as much anymore.

And even beyond the actual fighting, managing panic looks like it's going to be a nightmare. There's no margin for error there either, even successfully finishing missions has left me with a bunch of countries about to quit. The countries you don't choose on abduction missions get full panic right off the bat!

Vol5

Got a couple of my guys up to Captain and was doing OK until a UFO mission where these green hulks appear and decimate my squad.

I really don't know if I playing this game right or not, but it's a compelling experience finding out.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Got a couple of my guys up to Captain and was doing OK until a UFO mission where these green hulks appear and decimate my squad.

I really don't know if I playing this game right or not, but it's a compelling experience finding out.

Don't feel bad, mutons are genetically engineered to be mean assholes.

I've discovered that a shredder rocket works wonders with them if followed with some punishing fire, but chances are you may not have an available heavy soldier to get things rolling. I know that because I saved my game in the worst possible moment; there's an unavoidable abduction alert that will pop up while my badass (and only) heavy is nursing his wounds, and I have to pick one country: Japan, bright blue and offering a reward that I don't need at the moment, or Argentina or the UK, both menacing to say goodbye to XCOM. I need their support, but it comes with mutons. LOTS OF THEM.

KKRT00

I had the pleasure to see that yesterday but with a regular rocket and a vehicle serving as cover (which of course, blew up to all fuck).

I ragequit and went for some icecream.

Edit: Oddly enough, Mutons have some crazy grenade aim whenever you are hiding behind a car. Jesus.

Yep, it says 90% accuracy, but it wasnt near 90% my playthrough.

===
And even beyond the actual fighting, managing panic looks like it's going to be a nightmare. There's no margin for error there either, even successfully finishing missions has left me with a bunch of countries about to quit. The countries you don't choose on abduction missions get full panic right off the bat!
Lol, Firaxis are trolls confirmed.

Despera

Banned
So I built the Hyperwave Relay and Psi Lab. Are these the last two facilities, or should I expect more?

I have one empty slot and one useless Power Station that I could replace, so I hope not that many are left.

Mupod

So I built the Hyperwave Relay and Psi Lab. Are these the last two facilities, or should I expect more?

I have one empty slot and one useless Power Station that I could replace, so I hope not that many are left.

One more.

Can you freely demolish your officer training school/foundry when you've bought every upgrade?

RS4-

Uhh, I think its one more facility that allows you to access the last mission.

Just finished the game, its alright. I guess I expected more for the whole thing.

HildyB

Ok... get it now. Still if someone kills one of his own and makes it back alive he won't be going on missions again - except maybe "Drifter "(squad sight sniper) or "Mama Bear" (heavy trained in rockets).

Weird, I named my female Support soldier "Mama Bear" because she picks up the kids, dusts them off, and sends them back out to play. My sniper ended up with the "Drifter" moniker as well.

Derrick01

Banned
So how do you get a soldier to be able to use the
gollop chamber
? I have one guy with maxed out psi abilities but it still says I can't do it.

Just finished. Serious GOTY contender imo.

Managed to do the last mission with no deaths.
Well, almost no deaths :p That ending was so much better considering I had gaffers for soldiers! *salutes Cade*

So how do you get a soldier to be able to use the
gollop chamber
? I have one guy with maxed out psi abilities but it still says I can't do it.

Any soldier with psy abilities should be able to use it. Probably running into some bug there.

I am in the same predicament. Work seems so useless when I could be saving the world in stead.

tumblr_m9yyled5Yp1qb86cao2_r1_1280.png

Nocebo

Beat the game on classic ironman on the second try. Had to take 2 tries for the last mission as well. My final score was 16654 not very good I think. Probably because I waited too long to progress the story? Played about 442 game days.
Is there a way to look up your stats for playthroughs?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
One randomly generated with my Wifes name, I had to change it to something else because I know all too well how it will probably end.

My wife is currently a lieutenant sniper. She needs to work on her aim a bit, but other than that, she's a survivor of numerous campaigns. I have faith that she will see this thing through to the end.

She must.

Ketch

My wife is currently a lieutenant sniper. She needs to work on her aim a bit, but other than that, she's a survivor of numerous campaigns. I have faith that she will see this thing through to the end.

She must.

Had a dude named after my best friend. He was killed by a muton. Named a female rookie after his wife, her call sign is "Vengeance".

demidar

Beat the game on classic ironman on the second try. Had to take 2 tries for the last mission as well. My final score was 16654 not very good I think. Probably because I waited too long to progress the story? Played about 442 game days.
Is there a way to look up your stats for playthroughs?

So if you lose the final mission you can retry?

Congrats!!

Thanks, I feel like I can take on classic with the knowledge I have now.

Ketch

I think I've gotten over the difficulty hump in normal (ironman)... Can't wait to beat it so I can start classic ironman... hoping it'll keep the intensity up throughout the game.

Top Bottom