• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Are you sure about that? AAA's description says it doesn't confer the normal height bonus, and I didn't see any bonuses in my (admittedly extremely limited) testing.
You're right it does say that. I'm probably wrong about that then, though flying still makes it easy to land on higher elevation.

But if you're using Archangel Armor you're not using Ghost Armor. And if you're not using Ghost Armor you can't sneak up behind aliens and shout "Boo!" while unleashing hot plasma death.

That's not a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

A stealth sniper? Are you using snapshot for this?

theytookourjobz

How many of you guys have spoken of this game to friends only to have them respond with, "What's XCOM?"

It seriously makes me want to facepalm. I figured the stellar reviews would at least get the attention of those who know nothing about the franchise or even aren't strategy gamers, but I guess I was wrong. I've talked to at least a handful of people on my Steam list who literally had no idea the game existed, much less what it was about. And these aren't people who just casually play games every now and then.

I've seen plenty of commercials on Hulu for it. But I don't think they do a very good job of showing what the game is.

How many of you guys have spoken of this game to friends only to have them respond with, "What's XCOM?"

It seriously makes me want to facepalm. I figured the stellar reviews would at least get the attention of those who know nothing about the franchise or even aren't strategy gamers, but I guess I was wrong. I've talked to at least a handful of people on my Steam list who literally had no idea the game existed, much less what it was about. And these aren't people who just casually play games every now and then.

Some are just not giving it a chance. I know most of my friends will love this; but they aren't biting because the characters aren't anime-styled.

sRPG only lives in FFT/Ogre Battle/Valkyria Chronicles form in their hearts :(

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
A stealth sniper? Are you using snapshot for this?

Snap Shot instead of Squad Sight? Good god no. I may be totally indifferent towards my soldiers' survival, but I would never actively sabotage one like that.

I just like trying to convince the aliens that they should give up on Earth because it's haunted. Whole planet's built on an ancient native American burial ground, all y'all extraterrestrials best just git afore the haints catch ya.

You can stop them from bleeding out with a Medikit, but it's not really worthwhile. They take a significant, permanent hit to their Will stat just for going down. Just let them bleed out so that they die a warrior's death instead of living on as a coward, sullying the reputation of XCOM by panicking at the slightest provocation.

Well I didn't have any med kits at the time so she's KIA. I can't believe I lost a soldier before I was even let lose from the tutorials (not counting the story based casualties).

metalshade

THEY KILLED PROPHET

RIP :-(

Are you sure, he might somehow live on in the next suit of armour, and become a disembodied voice that eventually controls the poor grunt who wears it, and eventually wreak havoc on the aliens that killed him!
Oh wait.....
Seriously, you should call his replacement Alcatraz lol.

shuri

Banned
The game feels horribly rigged at times. The original was not like this at all. I had a vip mission where I ended up with one single soldier against 8-9 aliens; i managed to casually walk across the entire map, killing everything in sight almost in one shot, never missing once; and the enemies would always, ALWAYS miss me. And this soldier was a rookie

Eventually later that campaing failed, I restarted a new game; and in the first mission, my guys were missing almost point blank shots over and over again and they would be killed in a single fireight. It felt like something was broke with the game. I restarted the same mission over 10 times.

I restarted a new game AGAIN, and I slaughtered everyone in the first 3 missions.

I'm playing on classic mode.

atbigelow

Come on guys don't do this...
6570E55FA59741CEC10D891857EDFDC7753B1DD4

Snap Shot instead of Squad Sight? Good god no. I may be totally indifferent towards my soldiers' survival, but I would never actively sabotage one like that.

I just like trying to convince the aliens that they should give up on Earth because it's haunted. Whole planet's built on an ancient native American burial ground, all y'all extraterrestrials best just git afore the haints catch ya.
There's also the fact that stealth mode gives you an increased(100%?) crit chance.

Almighty

Damn this game, damn it right to fucking hell. Lost a whole squad, my best sniper included, on my first goddamn base assault. Damn it, Vampire was a bad ass mother fucker as well. Eighty motherfucking kills and now his is just a name on the wall. He will be missed.

What makes it even worse is that he got to the base commander only to have that fuck mind control him and because he was the last one left it was instadeath for his ass. God dammit. I hated psi in the first one and it looks like I will fucking hate it in this one.

Now I will have to hopefully try and rebuild a newer, better, and tougher squad of badass mother fuckers before i will try and tackle that base again. Sadly though i think this is the turning point in my game and I am fucked now.

Think my Classic Iron Man save is fucked. Three countries left by now all within a month, almost nothing I could have done. Base Funding was way too low, think I did that poorly. Gotta start over, I think. UGH.

And to top it all off, I lost Hanz 'Hulk' Delgado to a single stupid Thin Man. Stupid stupid stupid. He was the BEST.

KingKong

Story question:

Do I have to capture that energy enemy that spawns in the crashed UFO to progress? I keep fucking that up, first time I forgot, second time he got owned by my guys on overwatch, and the third the guy carrying the arc was in IR :<

I've had a large UFO appear that I failed to bring down and since then I've just been doing random missions and haven't gotten to that alien base people were talking about. I'm already up to laser weapons too

UNCyrus

Story question:

Do I have to capture that energy enemy that spawns in the crashed UFO to progress? I keep fucking that up, first time I forgot, second time he got owned by my guys on overwatch, and the third the guy carrying the arc was in IR :<

I've had a large UFO appear that I failed to bring down and since then I've just been doing random missions and haven't gotten to that alien base people were talking about. I'm already up to laser weapons too

Yes, you do. Best chance is to NOT do overwatch when you know he's the last guy left.

You can stop them from bleeding out with a Medikit, but it's not really worthwhile. They take a significant, permanent hit to their Will stat just for going down. Just let them bleed out so that they die a warrior's death instead of living on as a coward, sullying the reputation of XCOM by panicking at the slightest provocation.

My guys are the most cowardly group of heroes you've ever seen. As long as the wind is in their favor, they take down aliens like nobody's business. But somebody gets one-shot crit-killed, or mind-controlled, and their entire plan falls apart like a house of cards and they all start screaming and whimpering in terror.

It's no surprise none of my soldiers have psi abilities except my battle-hardened Colonel and an up-and-coming Lieutenant who hasn't really seen the horrors of war yet.

Just picked this today up after playing the demo on XBL over the weekend. I've never experienced a game like this, can't wait to delve in!

I'm not even sure if it's even possible to successfully manage panic on impossible difficulty. Everyone starts at 3 panic, the countries you don't chose on panic mission get more 2 panic (and everyone else on that continent 1 more panic), making them maxed out immediately. There's no way to get satellites up in time (especially since you have to build more power factories on impossible) to prevent countries from pulling out and forget about what will happen if you fail a mission...

How active is the Xbox Live Community with this game? Are there lots of gamers playing the game in MP?

I haven't tried it yet. I'm determined to finish my Classic playthrough first so I know the ins and outs of strategies against all types of enemies. But I'll definitely be popping on to try some vs. matches as soon as I finish my first playthrough.

I'm not even sure if it's even possible to successfully manage panic on impossible difficulty. Everyone starts at 3 panic, the countries you don't chose on panic mission get more 2 panic (and everyone else on that continent 1 more panic), making them maxed out immediately. There's no way to get satellite's up in time (especially since you have to build more power factories on impossible) to prevent countries from pulling out and forget about what will happen if you fail a mission...

I'm dreading trying Impossible at all. I think you just have to decide what are acceptable losses. You'll always have to choose one of the larger continents (Europe or Asia) for abduction missions to keep the most countries' panic down as far as possible, while putting up satellites as quickly as possible over the other.

I'm dreading trying Impossible at all. I think you just have to decide what are acceptable losses. You'll always have to choose one of the larger continents (Europe or Asia) for abduction missions to keep the most countries' panic down as far as possible, while putting up satellites as quickly as possible over the other.

Yeah, you'll probably have to write off two continents and play defense elsewhere to keep more than 7 from pulling out. You'll still have no margin for error and I imagine that's going to screw your economy in the longrun.

And I wonder how they handle panic increases with terror mission. Am I going to have to find a way to save most of those civilians while battle Chrysalids? *Shudder*

Jintor

If nothing else, XCOM has convinced me that humans don't understand or indeed like randomness and probability

I hope all ya'll RNG haters love Frozen Synapse at least. I love both, but FS removes the random factor almost entirely.

I didn't realize
the unit who uses the Gollop Chamber was based on who was wearing the Psi Armor rather than just being chosen at some point by the game, and it was a guy who'd been put into critical condition numerous times. So my 'chosen one' with crazy Psi gifts had a (base) Will of 31.

Salsa

Had to leave a couple of missions alone because I had one good guy healed and 5 rookies. Lost 4 countries in the following turn

no idea why I didn't just send all rookies to the mission at least

well done commander salsa

Aaron

If nothing else, XCOM has convinced me that humans don't understand or indeed like randomness and probability

I hope all ya'll RNG haters love Frozen Synapse at least. I love both, but FS removes the random factor almost entirely.
I love the game, but there's nothing random about XCOM. Odds are pre-baked and it's clearly doing some weighing in the background. It's gotten to the point where I can usually tell if a shot is going to hit or not no matter what odds it says it's giving me.

LiK

My only gripe is the inability to choose the class. i keep getting so many Snipers and Assault when i want another Heavy and Support. Doesn't make any sense.

Chrysalids are terrifying. Sectoid Commanders are annoying. But Sectopods? Straight up bullshit. I'll say it again: straight-up bullshit.
Two attacks a turn + a reaction shot? Gimme a break.

epmode

I feel that XCOM works a lot better like this than your typical SRPG where the damage spreads are a lot more predictable and consistent. The strategic component makes it work. Preparing for a disaster is part of the overall plan while it would be a fail state in most other games.

...so long as the odds are truly not being manipulated. Most reports I've read of people documenting hit percentages are checking out but I'd like to get confirmation from the developers.

vidcons

Banned

Frozen Synapse might be the most boring calculator game I've ever played.

This is pretty cool. Playing with the tutorial and without is pretty ridiculous, though. You can skip like, the entire difficult start up segment by suffering through 10 minutes of SOLDIER MOVE HERE.

Pretty sure I just lost my game. It's a rescue mission and I sent a rookie down to the VIP but the VIP won't activate under my command. Because of this one rookie running down there, my squad has effectively been flanked.

I'd like to turn off the aim animations and just have my dudes shoot.

Needs about 300 more maps before I'm content. I've seen the same ones a few times now. Total bummer.

Why do enemies not move until I find them. Dumb.

They do on Classic and above. But I'm still not a huge fan of the aliens-get-a-free-turn-when-spotted mechanic.

The enemies don't necessarily even exist until you cross a threshold and the game spawns them. You can change enemy locations (and even enemy types) by reloading saves and choosing to take a different movement path through the map.

Nocebo

I love the game, but there's nothing random about XCOM. Odds are pre-baked and it's clearly doing some weighing in the background. It's gotten to the point where I can usually tell if a shot is going to hit or not no matter what odds it says it's giving me.
Confirmation bias much?

r1chard

I know. In the Steam community there's posts that include things like this:

0.35*0.35*0.55*0.55*0.55*0.55*0.55*100 = 0,6 % chance

... that's not how chance works ...

Personally I've had a guy with the laser shotgun miss an alien directly in front of him with a 90% chance to hit. Fortunately I had my 100% chance sniper covering him (you know, the 100% that actually means it will hit every time.)

I'd like to think that he was ridiculed mercilessly back at base for that :)

Nocebo

They do on Classic and above. But I'm still not a huge fan of the aliens-get-a-free-turn-when-spotted mechanic.
Meh, even on classic not many of them move until you have spotted them. For instance with UFO missions there are rooms that will never have aliens in them and there are room that will always have aliens in them and they will never leave. Or maybe I'm just lucky.

Only on terror missions do almost all of them actively move around.

I know I can reload with my entire squad after a battle without worries because enemies will never get the jump on me.

its hilarious how much sense that doesn't make..oh wait..you do realize you're psychic right?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Given the options:

Variable chance to hit, with set damage

or

Variable damage, with guaranteed chance to hit

or

Both

What do you prefer?

Get in on _tetsuo_'s cash games.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I just hit my first bullshit moment of my second normal ironman run. I received notice of an abduction mission so I got my guys all ready to go, loaded up the skyranger and off they went! The camera pulls back to the geoscape and just as the skyranger starts moving I get another notice, this time for a terror mission. My skyranger is already enroute to another mission so the only choice I have is to ignore it.

I alt-f4'd and got the terror mission to pop up before I left. Hopefully I have enough time to go to the terror mission, beat the crap out of some aliens, get back to base and immediately send everyone back out into the field.

Oh wow. I just watched the GB Quicklook of this game and not only is it now on my radar, it's probably my #1 so far this holiday.

I love turn based games like Final Fantasy Tactics and cover based ones Valkyria Chronicles so this may be right up my alley.

Nocebo

Personally I've had a guy with the laser shotgun miss an alien directly in front of him with a 90% chance to hit. Fortunately I had my 100% chance sniper covering him (you know, the 100% that actually means it will hit every time.)

I'd like to think that he was ridiculed mercilessly back at base for that :)
I think part of the psychology in why some people don't understand why they miss when they're standing right in front of an alien is that it's a turn based strategy game. So when you move a guy next to someone it's like you're walking up to a target that looks like it's standing still. It looks like you're right next to it and that the soldier has all the time in the world to take aim and make his shot.
But perhaps it makes more sense to consider that entities are constantly in motion. The battle may be rendered as a turn based game with a grid-like board but it represents a fluid real time battle.

I just hit my first bullshit moment of my second normal ironman run. I received notice of an abduction mission so I got my guys all ready to go, loaded up the skyranger and off they went! The camera pulls back to the geoscape and just as the skyranger starts moving I get another notice, this time for a terror mission. My skyranger is already enroute to another mission so the only choice I have is to ignore it.

I alt-f4'd and got the terror mission to pop up before I left. Hopefully I have enough time to go to the terror mission, beat the crap out of some aliens, get back to base and immediately send everyone back out into the field.

This happened to me. You have time to complete the mission, gas up the skyranger, and go back out. It's no big deal as long as you don't have too many wounded (or a wipe), although in realism terms you should have to take an entirely different crew.

epmode

Given the options:

Variable chance to hit, with set damage

or

Variable damage, with guaranteed chance to hit

or

Both

What do you prefer?

It depends on the game. For something like Advance Wars where predictability is integral to the strategy and a single loss means the end of the game, a guaranteed hit with a small damage variation is ideal.

For XCOM, where uncertainty is a primary theme (it's called Enemy Unknown!) a tense, percentage-based system works well. And if you happen to be unlucky in a mission and get everyone killed, I sure hope you've been training a backup squad!

It depends on the game. For something like Advance Wars where predictability is integral to the strategy and a single loss means the end of the game, a guaranteed hit with a small damage variation is ideal.

For XCOM, where uncertainty is a primary theme (it's called Enemy Unknown!) a tense, percentage-based system works well. And if you happen to be unlucky in a mission and get everyone killed, I sure hope you've been training a backup squad!

And I suppose this is why the impossible difficulty is so messed up. There's no margin for error and any significant mistake or loss in either combat or base/panic management will essentially end the game for you. The difficulty doesn't mesh well with how the game is designed.

Uriah

Does the jetpack function similar to the grappling hook? What exactly are the benefits? Do you get an evasion bonus in the air?

Top Bottom