• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

epmode

And I suppose this is why the impossible difficulty is so messed up. There's no margin for error and any significant mistake or loss in either combat or base/panic management will essentially end the game for you. The difficulty doesn't mesh well with how the game is designed.

I haven't tried it yet but interviews have talked about Impossible as being more like Dwarf Fortress. Death is inevitable but losing can be fun!

I'm doing the final mission, but I don't really want to take
my Gallop Device user
with me because he's not part of my main squad. The game allows me to remove him from the mission team, but I'm worried that the game is going to bug out or something. Has anyone done the mission without bringing
the designated Psi dude
along?

Does the jetpack function similar to the grappling hook? What exactly are the benefits? Do you get an evasion bonus in the air?

You use fuel when you move. You're limited to 6 fuel at first, which you can upgrade. You use an ability to move, but it doesn't count as an action, i.e. you can launch up into the air and then take a shot. I'd say the benefits are aim and defense bonuses, vision radius, and grenades can't hit you.

KO Traveling Hobo said:
I'm doing the final mission, but I don't really want to take
my Gallop Device user
with me because he's not part of my main squad. The game allows me to remove him from the mission team, but I'm worried that the game is going to bug out or something. Has anyone done the mission without bringing
the designated Psi dude
along?

You need them with you and they can't die on the mission.

r1chard

I think part of the psychology in why some people don't understand why they miss when they're standing right in front of an alien is that it's a turn based strategy game. So when you move a guy next to someone it's like you're walking up to a target that looks like it's standing still. It looks like you're right next to it and that the soldier has all the time in the world to take aim and make his shot.
But perhaps it makes more sense to consider that entities are constantly in motion. The battle may be rendered as a turn based game with a grid-like board but it represents a fluid real time battle.

Oh yeah, I totally had pictured him jumping up from cover and charging forward, screaming "ARRRRRRGGH" until barrel-to-face with the little grey shit and then blammo.... "FUUUUUUU!" and then another blammo from off to the right following by snickering over the comms :)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I haven't tried it yet but interviews have talked about Impossible as being more like Dwarf Fortress. Death is inevitable but losing can be fun!

Losing is fun in Dwarf Fortress because it's usually the result of something hilarious, like prolonged sobriety causing a massive fortress-ending riot or a flaw in your magma-pumping system entombing your ornery little munchkins in rapidly-cooling molten rock. Getting critted by a Thin Man from across the map for the hundredth time just doesn't really have the same appeal.

Having messed around with Impossible a few times now it really feels like it turns all the issues I have with the game up to 11. It's not really a mode where you feel like you're the captain of your own fate.

E5ecF.jpg

Someone forgot how to park.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
This happened to me. You have time to complete the mission, gas up the skyranger, and go back out. It's no big deal as long as you don't have too many wounded (or a wipe), although in realism terms you should have to take an entirely different crew.

Thanks. I'm tempted to go with a totally different crew for each mission, but I want that achievement for a soldier surviving every mission. The support squad for my snipers can swap out. I need to grab the heavy laser. My heavies are languishing back at base with the basic LMGs.

Nocebo

GAF...How and when do I get Psi soldiers?
After you do the base mission and do an autopsy on the sectoid commander you can build the psi-lab. Then you submit soldiers to psi testing which takes 10 days. After which you may or may not have some soldiers with the psi gift. :)

I'm not even sure if it's even possible to successfully manage panic on impossible difficulty. Everyone starts at 3 panic, the countries you don't chose on panic mission get more 2 panic (and everyone else on that continent 1 more panic), making them maxed out immediately. There's no way to get satellites up in time (especially since you have to build more power factories on impossible) to prevent countries from pulling out and forget about what will happen if you fail a mission...

It is. Your early build order is completely railroaded though.

0) Live through the first mission. Not as easy as it sounds.
1) Accept the first abduction mission, take the engineer reward regardless of location or difficultly. If it is in South America and the other two are in Asia and Europe, too bad.
2) Finish the second mission. Enjoy aggroing three packs of sectoids at once with rooks and five health squaddies. This is even harder than the first mission, unless you get a heavy w/o hosptial time out of the first mission.
3) Build a sat as soon as the mission is over.
4) Try to get a sergeant in the first month, either as a reward for the 2nd abduction mission or out of repeated success. Start building the OTS. Hope you can start carrying a sniper.
5) Launch sat in an engineer-producting terrirtory to protect a country before the council meeting.
6) You now have money from the council and 10 engineers after the first of the month,build a power generator and 2nd nexus when done. On the 9th of the month or so build two or even three sats. Sell damn near everything except alloys to do it.
7)Do OK on the 2nd month terrior mission.
8) Launch sats at the end of the month. Keep interceptor coverage so they don't get shot down. Build a workshop if you need more engineers to build your third nexus on month 3.

There's not a lot of variation but you can control panic on Impossible. It just involves not losing missions, and early on that is really more luck than skill (which is what people who play impossible hate).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It feels like the strategy layer in this game is a bit more predictable than in the original. Key things like the first terror mission, the alien base, hyperwave decoder, etc all come at predetermined times.

In the original, depending on how you play, you can get stuff like the hyperwave decoder or psionics early or late game. It wasn't really on a script.

The hard storyline in the remake makes things a little too predictable.

1) Accept the first abduction mission, take the engineer reward regardless of location or difficultly. If it is in South America and the other two are in Asia and Europe, too bad.
2) Finish the second mission. Enjoy aggroing three packs of sectoids at once with rooks and five health squaddies. This is even harder than the first mission, unless you get a heavy w/o hosptial time out of the first mission.
4) Try to get a sergeant in the first month, either as a reward for the 2nd abduction mission or out of repeated success. Start building the OTS. Hope you can start carrying a sniper.
5) Launch sat in an engineer-producting terrirtory to protect a country before the council meeting.
6) You now have money from the council and 10 engineers after the first of the month,build a power generator and 2nd nexus when done. On the 9th of the month or so build two or even three sats. Sell damn near everything except alloys to do it.
8) Launch sats at the end of the month. Keep interceptor coverage so they don't get shot down. Build a workshop if you need more engineers to build your third nexus on month 3.

There's not a lot of variation but you can control panic on Impossible. It just involves not losing missions, and early on that is really more luck than skill (which is what people who play impossible hate).

After the first abduction mission in my game, two countries hit full panic. Not sure it's possible to get an uplink and 2 satellites launched before the first council meeting, where they will be lost for good.

The only thing I'd add is that I've found hiring new recruits to be highly useful. They have double the base starting health of the trash units you start with. I'm tackling the first terror mission now, so we'll see how things shape out after it.

The whole base and panic management part of impossible really is incredibly restrictive. Someone is going to find out the formula and make a step-by-step walkthrough via trial and error, and there's not going to be much room to deviate from that.

Aaron

Why do sats take 20 days to build even if you have a shit ton of engineers? But if you build more than one at a time, it doesn't take more time or dudes.

A group of like 8 Chrisalyids swarmed me in
the first alien base
and I thought on my feet and had a squaddie kill a couple with an alien grenade that I got, my squad picked off the rest. Felt great!, but the last one turned my squaddie into a zombie and then a muton threw a grenade from the darkness and killed the rest of my squad :(

hitmon

I know its a minor gripe, but I wish you could change the nationalities.

Just got through the alien base on my current playthrough. Think there were 3-4 sets of mutons with 1 berserker in each set, 2 sets a chrysalids, and 2-3 pairs of drones.

Though it was close, somehow nobody died. Man I love this game.

Nocebo

Why do sats take 20 days to build even if you have a shit ton of engineers? But if you build more than one at a time, it doesn't take more time or dudes.
Because it takes 9 months to grow a baby no matter how many women you put on the job... :p
Yeah some of the build times are pretty silly and arbitrary. Also why would rushing a construction take double the materials?

kurahador

Thanks guys.

Another thing, how do I upgrade the interceptors with plasma guns+emp bomb? I already have the advanced one, yet can't seem to bring down an abductor ship.

Nocebo

Is the psi lab super broken for everyone else? It keeps replacing soldiers instead of adding new ones
I'm not sure what you mean.
It worked as advertised for me: I put in my existing soldiers and after 10 days I got the same people back with or without psi powers.
Thanks guys.

Another thing, how do I upgrade the interceptors with plasma guns+emp bomb? I already have the advanced one, yet can't seem to bring down an abductor ship.
Go to hangar and click on the name of a ship, then edit ship.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is the psi lab super broken for everyone else? It keeps replacing soldiers instead of adding new ones
Try this:

Pick a soldier in the first slot, then exit out of the menu back to the base.

Then, go back to the barrack, and select a solder for the second slot, then exit all the way back out again.

Do the same for the third slot.

tm24

After multiple restarts, i have come upon the most random discovery. 4 different games and each time, my sniper is British. Also, this game will cause me to fail English Lit and Theory

VALIS

Game difficulty literally went fucking BONKERS in like 2 missions

About how many missions have you done? I believe I've done 12-14, in that range, and I am just cutting through aliens like butter at this point and am thinking of upping the difficulty from the normal/default to the next one up. But if the difficulty suddenly spikes...

alphaNoid

Banned
Started playing last night, enjoying this game so far. I never played the OG XCOM but am a long time PC gamer and strategy fan .. not sure how I missed this one. I was 14 when it came out so I was probably busy playing LORD on BBSs or something lol

I have been playing on classic and I have reached the point where there is ZERO challenge. Archangel jetpack suits + high rank snipers with squad sight = complete annihilation.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
About how many missions have you done? I believe I've done 12-14, in that range, and I am just cutting through aliens like butter at this point and am thinking of upping the difficulty from the normal/default to the next one up. But if the difficulty suddenly spikes...

It gets much harder on classic. On normal it gets easier the further you go, so if you're already finding it too easy you'll probably want to turn it up.

I have been playing on classic and I have reached the point where there is ZERO challenge. Archangel jetpack suits + high rank snipers with squad sight = complete annihilation.

Join the ranks of us trying to tackle impossible and soon you'll be living in fear of massed sectoids.

Join the ranks of us trying to tackle impossible and soon you'll be living in fear of massed sectoids.

From what I read it sounds more of a pain than anything.

I am thinking of doing classic ironman next. But I have had all sorts of weird glitches and I fear one of those glitches hitting when I cant reload a save and ruining everything.

Miletius

From what I read it sounds more of a pain than anything.

I am thinking of doing classic ironman next. But I have had all sorts of weird glitches and I fear one of those glitches hitting when I cant reload a save and ruining everything.

Just do a normal classic run and resist restarting for deaths/errors. That's what I did and I still have the save backup for glitches.

There does come a point in classic where if you play well you really are just coasting through the missions though. It's perfectly doable to have your entire map stable and just farming resources for the endgame. That's the point where I'm at now in classic, and even a full squad wipe (which just happened since I was tired and playing recklessly) didn't phase me, I have a backup squad full of Majors and Colonels.

I will probably tackle some MP next or maybe try impossible out. Can't wait for them to release mod tools -- I really want to try a low tech mod that makes it much harder to get advanced tech endgame, but at the same time keeping the lower tier aliens in the mix.

Oppo

Yeah I don't even think Impossible is a real difficulty level, from the way the Firaxis guys talked about it. More of a stave-death-off-as-long-as-possible sort of thing.

Aaron

Have they actually said they would do this? The game isn't very mod friendly, in fact they made it more difficult to mod after the demo by locking additional things inside of the exe.
They've talked it as something they'd like to do. Probably hinges on the game's success.

milkham

Classic, iron man.. was doing great, had vets several levels up, worldwide panic in check, but no carapace armor yet. My squad shows up at a UFO landing site. They move forward then all overwatch. Alien turn starts, thin man group of 3 reveals itself at 10 oclock, not too close, no big deal, then another group of 3 thin men reveal themselves at 2 oclock, ok ok this is bad but they stayed close enough together that I can rocket them with my heavy, THEN 3 floaters appear right on top of me. Full squad wipe. I didn't even have the option to build an officer school yet, sigh this game.

Top Bottom