• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Orgun

Finished my first run through (Normal Ironman) and the ending is Whatever but MAN the journey to get there was a fucking blast.

Restarted on Classic Ironman right away.

Miletius

I'd settle for them unlocking some tweaked scenarios, either way. Yeah, if you want achievements you have to do classic. Many bugs seem to be related to using the robot in battle so many just avoid using the SHIV.

DoctorZ

Are there any mods out there that only change the Satellite build time, to 10 days as some of the balance mods out there have. I dont want to completely rebalance the game with a mod (unless it fixes the % to hit bullshit). But this has been the most frustrating thing in the game for me.

kurahador

Go to hangar and click on the name of a ship, then edit ship.

You can edit ship??? FFFFFFFFFFF.

Oh god...the these steam achievements are ridiculous!!

Bubonic
Play a multiplayer match against someone with this achievement.

Lone Wolf
Clear a UFO crash site with one soldier on Classic or Impossible difficulty.

Flight of the Valkyries
Win a mission with an all-female squad. Single player only.

Are there any mods out there that only change the Satellite build time, to 10 days as some of the balance mods out there have. I dont want to completely rebalance the game with a mod (unless it fixes the % to hit bullshit). But this has been the most frustrating thing in the game for me.

It's not really difficult to change it yourself.

Download and install Resource Hacker.
Open XComGame.exe in Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32 in Resource Hacker.
Go to RCData->1020->1033 and find this line:

ItemBalance=(eItem=eItem_Satellite,iCash=100,iElerium=0, iAlloys=0, iTime=20, iEng=5)

Change iTime to 10.
Hit Compile Script. Save.

You're done.

Rufus

Just listened to the latest Three Moves Ahead and while I don't think it was all that interesting, it's funny how "85% chance to hit becomes 100% in people's heads" is bearing out in this thread. And I haven't even read more than the last few pages.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
From what I read it sounds more of a pain than anything.

I am thinking of doing classic ironman next. But I have had all sorts of weird glitches and I fear one of those glitches hitting when I cant reload a save and ruining everything.

Ironman basically just saves constantly. If you need to force quit because of a glitch or something you can just reload your save no problem. Since it only saves after successful completion of an action and most of the lockup glitches happen while the game endlessly tries and fails to complete an action you're protected from the vast majority of potential game-ending problems.

I've been playing nothing but Ironman since my first game and have yet to hit a glitch that forces me to give up on a game entirely. And I've been far from glitch-free.

showdown

Neo Member
The sickest thing happened to me in my classic ironman run.

I was assaulting a ufo with one large corrider on the bottom. You can look down at the corridor on the sides of the ship so I have guys on both sides and a tank-like assault at the bottom to make sure I don't get surprised. I was working my way through.. then an ethereal I was looking for earlier just jumps off the fucking roof that I forgot about and mind controls my best assault. AT THE SAME TIME a sectopod and two chryssalids burst through the door in front of me. When I decide to move a bit further up into cover I find two mutons on the low ground :(

I decided to just run from the sectopod and ethereal which are on one side of the ship, towards the mutons and chryssalids. I spend some turns dealing with them and some drones. I'm badly injured from flanking but no casualties. Fortunately the sectopod never moves and I just have to deal with the ethereal. I double tap him with my sniper but everyone else can't get line of sight and he has 5 health left... but the mind control runs out. My assault gets revenge with a 5 damage alien grenade. It was like out of an action movie. He probably said "welcome to earth" while he did it.

You know...if the mission code name is going to be Frozen Vengeance, I'd expect to see a little snow on the ground, you know?
Revenge is a dish best served cold, but you're delivering it with hot lead and lasers. They're trying to keep the irony consistent, brother.

speaking of which, the mission code names have universally been pretty badass
It was really eerie how apt some of the randomized mission names were.

Aaron

Just listened to the latest Three Moves Ahead and while I don't think it was all that interesting, it's funny how "85% chance to hit becomes 100% in people's heads" is bearing out in this thread. And I haven't even read more than the last few pages.
When you can still miss at 100% odds I'm not sure what your point is.

Nocebo

Have they actually said they would do this? The game isn't very mod friendly, in fact they made it more difficult to mod after the demo by locking additional things inside of the exe.
Why would that matter if there are mod tools? This is based on the unreal engine after all so it shouldn't be too hard to provide mod capability. Also one of them said that all his gameplay code is in unreal scripts.

It sometimes feels like the random seed is being given too much weight, that whatever number the RNG is spitting out is more important than the attack's hit%.

Rufus

When you can still miss at 100% odds I'm not sure what your point is.
Are you sure? Has yet to happen to me. If so, that has to be a glitch. The only thing remotely similar I've experienced is rockets killing a drone but not damaging a Sectopod despite it being next to the drone and well within the radius of the explosion.

There are more glitches they have to iron out. Roofs have some issues and enemies can seemingly glitch through walls on one of the bigger UFO types. I've both shot and been shot through walls and ceilings in those, too.

Salsa

12 hours in and ive been at this "strike down this UFO to continue the game" mission for like 8 of those hours. I think it's like the third one, ridiculous. I keep missing it and not having money to upgrade the air combat since I spent all my money in getting Satellites in every country I have left.

I had two mutons appear out of literally no where next to two of my squad. They didn't move or anything, they just sort of appeared.

They were then summarily blasted into tiny bits, but it was still weird.

12 hours in and ive been at this "strike down this UFO to continue the game" mission for like 8 of those hours. I think it's like the third one, ridiculous. I keep missing it and not having money to upgrade the air combat since I spent all my money in getting Satellites in every country I have left.

Did you get the option to research a new aircraft?

Aaron

Are you sure? Has yet to happen to me. If so, that has to be a glitch. The only thing remotely similar I've experienced is rockets killing a drone but not damaging a Sectopod despite it being next to the drone and well within the radius of the explosion.

There are more glitches they have to iron out. Roofs have some issues and enemies can seemingly glitch through walls on one of the bigger UFO types. I've both shot and been shoot through walls and ceilings in those, too.
Could be a bug. My 100% miss was also after a Run&Gun. I've had enemies close to the center of an explosion's blast radius take no damage. I also find that if I save before shooting, and then miss, no matter what percentage I get when I reload it's always a miss, as long as it's the same shooter and the same target.

Getting shot through walls and ceilings happens all the time. I think of that more of that's the rules of how the game works than a bug.

I had two mutons appear out of literally no where next to two of my squad. They didn't move or anything, they just sort of appeared.

They were then summarily blasted into tiny bits, but it was still weird.
This has happened to me a few times. It's always when my sniper is in close range. Not sure if it's how they're gauging the spawn point, or just a coincidence. But if I move up a different class, the game always triggers the further spawn.

yup but im out of stuff to research it

I sold some randoms at the beggining in order to get all satellites up and running. Bummer but it might have been worth it, except for the fact that I lost like 4 of them

Ah. You need that aircraft then. The normal ones just can't keep up with the new wave of UFOs.

Rufus

Could be a bug. My 100% miss was also after a Run&Gun. I've had enemies close to the center of an explosion's blast radius take no damage. I also find that if I save before shooting, and then miss, no matter what percentage I get when I reload it's always a miss, as long as it's the same shooter and the same target.
Try restarting the game next time that happens. The RNG should give you another seed for the calculations. Could confirm Basileus777's theory.

Getting shot through walls and ceilings happens all the time. I think of that more of that's the rules of how the game works than a bug.
Similar to how the visuals sometimes suggest you should be flanking, but somehow the enemy is in cover, still? Yeah, I suppose.

It's only happened on reaction shots as far as I've noticed, which leads me to believe there's something else going on. Maybe when the models are spawned in, whatever it is that triggers the reaction shot extends beyond the walls somehow.

In my case it was a Cyberdisc I didn't even know was there until my soldier's reaction shots went off at it or one of its drones.

Aaron

Similar to how the visuals sometimes suggest you should be flanking, but somehow the enemy is in cover, still? Yeah, I suppose.

It's only happened on reaction shots as far as I've noticed, which leads me to believe there's something else going on. Maybe when the models are spawned in, whatever it is that triggers the reaction shot extends beyond the walls somehow.

In my case it was a Cyberdisc I didn't even know was there until my soldier's reaction shots went off at it one of its drones.
Wasn't a snap for me. Muton was in a UFO. Guy he shot at was leaned against the wall outside, but not on the corner. Shouldn't have been visible at all, but shot my guy dead and knocked the wall down in the process. I also had this happen when the wall didn't take any damage. In this instance, my guy was on the corner, but the alien was shooting from an angle where he shouldn't have been able to see him. Rare but kind of annoying.

Vlodril

Revenge is a dish best served cold, but you're delivering it with hot lead and lasers. They're trying to keep the irony consistent, brother.

It was really eerie how apt some of the randomized mission names were.

I got a mission called Fallen Hero and lost my top soldier. Sniper 24 missions 79 kills. Figures..

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Anyone have any insight on how Will progression works? Right now I've got one Psi agent with Will in the 80s but he's a sniper so that's pretty much useless.

I'd like to know what to look out for in the rookies, everyone seems to start at 40 so is it the case that some rookies will gain more will than others each level? Or is it down to what happens in the mission?

ixix

I still fondly remember the time the dude that comes up with decent names was in the john come mission time and I found myself embarking upon Operation Fallen Fall.

Anyone have any insight on how Will progression works? Right now I've got one Psi agent with Will in the 80s but he's a sniper so that's pretty much useless.

I'd like to know what to look out for in the rookies, everyone seems to start at 40 so is it the case that some rookies will gain more will than others each level? Or is it down to what happens in the mission?

Units lose will if you are downed in battle and need to be stabilized. Other than that, they gain a random amount of will each increase in rank. Though I'm not sure what the range for that increase is. Rookies all start with 40 will, the divergence happens when leveling, so there really isn't anything to look for. In other words, I believe it's all random and there isn't anything you can do to predict it.

There is that OTS unlock that increases the amount of will gained per rank. It doesn't work retroactively though.

I goofed earlier when I said I was starting the final mission. I had left the game sitting for awhile so I forgot that I had elected to do some more prep work and was embarking on a simple council mission.

Afterward, I did some psi testing on my main squad in hopes of replacing my first candidate, and my sniper who'd been on board since the first or second mission ended up having the Gift. I'm so, so glad I did it this way given
what happens in the cutscene after the boss. It made the whole thing much more meaningful. RIP Ananda 'Warlock' Gavde. ;-;

Not that it wasn't without some incredible yet unintended hilarity, of course.
One dude was still Ghosted except for his helmet, and my OG sniper -- the star of the show -- had his plasma pistol flying around in the air, in the device, and in his helmet throughout the entire cutscene. One particularly grand moment was when the camera dramatically closed in on the Volunteer's intense gaze into the Ethereal sphere as he drew upon every fiber of his psyonic strength, and Mr. Plasma Pistol's barrel slowly emerged from his right eye.

duckroll

I've been going slow. Got to my first Terror Mission. It was going fine initially, I was even a little cocky about it, and then the fucking Chryssalids and Zombies showed up. It... wasn't pretty. Gonna have to roll back a few turns in the mission later. Fffffffff.

Truant

Had a terror mission with over ten cryssalids. It was fucking ridiculous.

I have laser weapons and decent armor, but I've yet to capture an alien. I should get to that, seeing as the "Easy" mission I'm on has three cyberdisks in it.

AzureSky

Except for the Alien Base in Africa. That mission was called "Black Shield". Without context, that was a tad racist.

It doesnt have any hidden meanings or social references by itself and i think it does sound nice.

Anyway, awesome game so far. I'm in late game ironman/normal and it got really easy (too easy) at some point. I think the real game changer was titan armor, there is not much that can touch fully armored soldiers. Looking forward to classic/ironman.

What are you guys running as a typical squad configuration?

Squad Alpha (Abduction, small UFO's)
2 Support
1 Heavy
1 Sniper (snap shot)
2 Assault

Squad Delta (Terror Missions)
1 SHIV
2 Heavy
1 Sniper (squad sight)
2 Support
1 Assault

Squad Bravo (Large UFO's, Bases)
2 Assault
2 Support
1 Sniper (Squad Sight)
1 Heavy

I always run with 2 support, both with medikits for revival etc

TTG

So, after looking through the achievements for the hell of it, I come across the:
mind control an ethereal
. Ok, I'm on my second one of the game, so I figure I try that. Got him low on health and the percentage is 0! Is this story related?

EDIT: yea, I have him down to 1 and there's still not a chance.

demidar

I've been going slow. Got to my first Terror Mission. It was going fine initially, I was even a little cocky about it, and then the fucking Chryssalids and Zombies showed up. It... wasn't pretty. Gonna have to roll back a few turns in the mission later. Fffffffff.

Not Ironman? I am disappoint. Later in the game you'll be arm-wrestling chryssalids into submission for fun and you will look back on that mission with fondness.

So, after looking through the achievements for the hell of it, I come across the:
mind control an ethereal
. Ok, I'm on my second one of the game, so I figure I try that. Got him low on health and the percentage is 0! Is this story related?

Is the ethereal mind controlling anyone? When they do that, they are immune to it. Certain story related ethereals are also immune to mind control.

ixix

mind control an ethereal

Health doesn't improve your chances of that.
You basically need a naturally high Will soldier wearing psi armor. Ethereals don't have any sort of hard-coded immunity to psi attacks, they've just got ridonkulous Will stats, so just stack your Will 'til you can overcome it and go a-hunting..

Top Bottom