• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Mupod

Heavy w/ HEAT ammo (a must have, you need the DPS later on for other enemies) annihilates Cyberdiscs. They are pretty easy to kill provided that you counter-initiate on them by letting them aggro you instead of you bumping into them.

Bumping into a cyberdisc as the last move on your turn is basically a guaranteed death if you're in carapace armor or less. Mutons and such will use their free move to get into cover - cyberdisks will suicidally bumrush you. I had one waltz through reaction fire, get 1 space away from my support and blow him away in one hit.

HEAT ammo is great when it works, but my god Heavy accuracy (or lack thereof) is infuriating. So nice seeing those 20+ damage hits on mechanical enemies though.

Bumping into a cyberdisc as the last move on your turn is basically a guaranteed death if you're in carapace armor or less. Mutons and such will use their free move to get into cover - cyberdisks will suicidally bumrush you. I had one waltz through reaction fire, get 1 space away from my support and blow him away in one hit.

HEAT ammo is great when it works, but my god Heavy accuracy (or lack thereof) is infuriating. So nice seeing those 20+ damage hits on mechanical enemies though.
Give that noob a S.C.O.P.E, bro.

Thanks! :)

Got it on GMG with a voucher for $40. Just have to wait for the 13GB download now :p

Will do! Thanks! :)

EDIT - Is the tutorial the same as the demo or something else?

It starts the same, but last for far longer, they hold your hand a good while longer including forcing you to build facilities at the base/research certain components' while useful to learn, I know I did much better the second time using my precious resources in different ways.

garath

My main heavy has had a scope for his entire career. It makes him wonderfully viable.

Now I finally got that teleport bug.

my gawd, I was in the cemetary map (the one with the masoleum in the middle) and I step out, Assault and support in light cover, everyone else in overwatch (sans one sniper) on high ground. End the turn...

6 fucking mutons teleport in, 2 more aggro from the masoleum, and two thinmen on the right.

5 Reaction shots later, the Mutons are in position thankfully they didn't take shots, otherwise We'd be wiped out. From here, it was just this really great fight against these mutons in a wide front, as I kept striking to the sides for my heavy to get a shot, my assault kept charging through, and hunkering as the Mutons peppered him with shots. Thank god for that visual defense perk, that shit saved him MANY times. I had laser rifles and Carapace, but no laser snipers or heavy lasers, so there was a lot of tense turns in a near stalemate as my assault would keep trying to wheel around on them, but had so little ammo that he had to keep hunkering. There was limited cover, so he kept the rookie on the right flank on overwatch, and made a key shot to bring down a muton as it moved to flank my squad sight sniper.

Eventually my sniper was able to take out the thinmen, and we could push foward to get the flank. Unfortunately my Major level heavy payed the price when he heroicly supressed a muton so my units could take the flank shot next round. Loved that Heavy.

The next round a terror mission in Russia, had a cyberdisc teleport right on top of my assault, thankfully it didn't take a shot, but after I moved my favorite support to the other side of a tank, we dropped the cyberdisc, which exploded itself and the tank before I had a chance to get my support out of cover.

RIP Major Mikos you're epic flanks, and clutch heals will be fondly remembered.

Claymores

Banned
Liked the game at frist now I've played it for the games really starting to irritate me, I'am now pretty sure the game predetermines if a shots going to hit or miss.

Try out a set of moves against some aliens then reload and do it again and you'll see extactly the same results same hits, misses even extact same damage on each shot if the game was random the chances of the extact same things happening 2-3 times in a row is a billion to 1.

raphier

Banned
Liked the game at frist now I've played it for the games really starting to irritate me, I'am now pretty sure the game predetermines if a shots going to hit or miss.

Try out a set of moves against some aliens then reload and do it again and you'll see extactly the same results same hits, misses even extact same damage on each shot if the game was random the chances of the extact same things happening 2-3 times in a row is a billion to 1.

the game is random! it generates the random seeds at the start of the mission, so you can't cheapcheat by reloading.

It sets the seed at the start of the round and saves it. This way you can't save/reload until you get a hit on your shot. So yes, that shot will always hit or miss for that turn.

I'm liking heavies so much more now that I have one that took the left side of the tree. AOE suppression is nice, but I'm finding having access to 3 rockets and 2 grenades per level so much more useful. Destroying enemy cover is something that is always useful, suppression is more situational.

kurahador

the game is random! it generates the random seeds at the start of the mission, so you can't cheapcheat by reloading.

I don't know about you guys but for me if there's an obstacle between me and the target (cars, car doors, wall, etc), the shot will always miss even if it's 92% hit.
Guess the game flip back and forth between logical and old xcom mechanic?

scy

Not entirely sure why it seems so unintuitive that the game is a (pseudo) random seed.

As for this teleport bug, I think I got that last night before I quit out of frustration. Terror mission daisy chained ~3 Muton groups and then four Chrysalids just spawn/appear in the middle of my team (and somehow dodge my full team point-blank Overwatches).

Not sure if I have the ability to not get roflstomped by that.

I'm liking heavies so much more now that I have one that took the left side of the tree. AOE suppression is nice, but I'm finding having access to 3 rockets and 2 grenades per level so much more useful. Destroying enemy cover is something that is always useful, suppression is more situational.

Supression can destroy cover also once you get laser weapons. Not as reliably as rocks/nades, but pretty damn well, but that tactic saved me against some Mutons recently.

atomico

Anybody have trouble unlocking the "Flight Of The Valkyries" achievement (on PC, fwiw). It only unlocked after the third mission I did with an all-female team.

Supression can destroy cover also once you get laser weapons. Not as reliably as rocks/nades, but pretty damn well, but that tactic saved me against some Mutons recently.

I know. I'm not really knocking suppression, it's a great ability when combined with all the other perks on the right side of the tree.

Rockets are great when your heavy is far enough away that bulletstorm isn't going to be effective. They get the HEAT bonus as well.

Desaan

Finished my classic ironman (finally). Dragged the game out till December, happy christmas aliens, not you Mr. Sectoid, you can go fuck yourself. Not ready for impossible as I only just managed to recover this one, some bad decisions and shitty luck meant I lost a few of my top troops heading into the final mission, I also lost my only ever present in the final room :(

P.S The ending was bullshit.

garath

Not entirely sure why it seems so unintuitive that the game is a (pseudo) random seed.

As for this teleport bug, I think I got that last night before I quit out of frustration. Terror mission daisy chained ~3 Muton groups and then four Chrysalids just spawn/appear in the middle of my team (and somehow dodge my full team point-blank Overwatches).

Not sure if I have the ability to not get roflstomped by that.

The teleport thing is pretty nuts. It's killer on an Ironman game. So far I've been able to get out of it every time without a loss but it's been close. I don't know if I'll be so lucky on Classic difficulty.

Mupod

Give that noob a S.C.O.P.E, bro.

My main heavy has had a scope for his entire career. It makes him wonderfully viable.

Scopes were standard equipment for my heavies on normal but my classic playthrough I tend to use them for suppression (and psionics...all my heavies are psionic for some reason). I'm super paranoid so I give them chitin armor. And I'm really, really fucking scared of Sectopods so I don't like moving them close.

I'm gonna try the ghost armor scout support with combat stims trick on this supply barge I shot down when I get home. I think if I know roughly where enemies are then my heavies will be a lot more effective. And I'm just not gonna use my 105 will psionic badass Colonel heavy because I don't want to risk him until I tackle the final mission.

I think this lucky lady in the picture here (yes she made it out of that) has HEAT ammo so I'll bring her along. Her Will sucks though, despite being psionic.

I didn't realize that heavies with bullet storm and ghost armor could shoot and then ghost. This seems like it could be pretty exploitable.

atomico

How do you managed to recruit enough female soldiers? I only got 4...damn random bullshit.

Random indeed.

My initial troops only featured one female among them, but all three "mission reward" soldiers I got were girls with decent ranks. Most of the rookies I hire seem to be female as well :p

Mupod

I didn't realize that heavies with bullet storm and ghost armor could shoot and then ghost. This seems like it could be pretty exploitable.

Oh crap I never even thought of that. I do always take bullet swarm, because like I said all my heavies are psionic and I like being able to shoot and then mindfray or whatever. That might just be the solution to my indoor Sectopod problem.

Branson

Well I bought this last night. I never really play strategy games but I guess I need a change of pace with what I play. I hope I like it lol.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
games getting alot of buzz but ive never played an x com game or similar like it before, is it easy to pick up for the uninitiated? Must admit the depth comes across quite scary

games getting alot of buzz but ive never played an x com game or similar like it before, is it easy to pick up for the uninitiated? Must admit the depth comes across quite scary

Yes, this is the most friendly in the series and requires no prior experience. The game's plot is also self contained.

Luigi87

Literally where I saved and quit (Classic Ironman) before I went to work.

Only saw a Floater inside, so I had him charge in... Activated the two Chryssalids in the room, and one decided to get up in his face.
... I want to say he lived a good life, but only making it to Squaddie, it's hardly a lived life.
Then again, maybe he will survive, I've yet to resume <_<

And this is why I love XCOM.
To follow up what happened, I had one my soldiers fire at the Chryssalid, dealing 4 damage. I then had my squad leader aim her rocket perfectly, and she killed both the Chryssalid and Floater, and dealt no damage to Dirk, who then high-tailed it out of there.

Only one death on my end (rookie who got one-shotted by the other Floater). Almost lost another when a newborn Chyssalid (last enemy) got up in the face of a lone soldier, so had to get everyone into position and take it out on that turn or else. 15/18 Civs saved. Good mission.

atomico

I actually got the achievement during my first mission. I happened to start with an all female squad.

Or alternatively I guess you could try going for for the Lone Wolf AND Valkyries cheevo by going on a mission with a single female soldier.

A small UFO (6-9 aliens) crash site, a good double tap sniper or rocketeer with mind control...

As long as you are up for a challenge, this one isn't actually all that complex, the basics are actually pretty damn simple, but the challenge, and difficult decisions you have to make (especially on harder difficulties) makes working out the best strategy pretty difficult.

This one is really easy to pick up, the tutorial will guide you through the basics of the strategy and tactics layer, after which you can play around.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
im downloading the demo now, see how it pans out

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well now that I've played more I like the game, I've only encountered mild bugs that don't harm game play, just visual glitches and stuff. But it still feels so limited in some ways compared to the original and like it could be improved a lot in others. Maybe patches, expansions or mods will take care of that. The game could be a modern classic then, not just a cool distraction of the year.

KingKong

My biggest annoyance is the PC controls (apparently, since people say controller is fine).

Aiming a rocket or grenade is incredibly awkward, as is the camera not resetting back on my soldiers after a move. The abilities aren't the same hotkey for everyone, so I can't quickly cycle and set them

Mr Cola

My biggest annoyance is the PC controls (apparently, since people say controller is fine).

Aiming a rocket or grenade is incredibly awkward, as is the camera not resetting back on my soldiers after a move. The abilities aren't the same hotkey for everyone, so I can't quickly cycle and set them

Can you get away with using a ps3 controller or can you survive with mouse/keyb?

wish I preordered now. kinda wanna customize the gear colors but I can't. can't even buy the Elite pack on Steam....

Even though i preordered, i really don't think the ability to colour stuff should be limited to preorders. That seems like something that should be part of the game in the first place.

I've played 40 hours with mouse+KB only and the only issues are rocket/grenade aiming and multiple height areas. It's a distraction and annoyance, but not a game breaker and the other hotkeys that greatly speed up turns more than make up for it.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Controller works great.

One thing I noticed about the hotkeys is that the face key letters on controller do the same thing with m/k control.

Need overwatch? Hit 'y', just like on controller.
Weapon switch? Hit 'x', just like on controller.

Those are the only two that are the same for everybody on controller and they're mapped the same on PC so don't feel like that is an issue.

Mupod

I only have one problem with the UI, and that's navigating multi-level UFOs. But even that I've got the hang of now, since said UFOs are always the same so I already know which way to rotate the camera to actually get my dudes in the right spots.

Everything else was solved by having a mouse with a lot of buttons. Spacebar (confirm), unit cycling, overwatch/reload/hunker down and camera rotations are all bound to it so I can play with one hand. The other hand is free to stroke my beard pensively while trying to figure out ways not to get murdered by Sectopods.

KPJZKC

I think I'm done for a long, long time. Sometimes the game just feels so fucking cheap. Will try to pick it up again in a few days but christ, the start of the game is terrible. So awful with a squad of rookies or squaddies, even up against sectoids.

calder

I've played 40 hours with mouse+KB only and the only issues are rocket/grenade aiming and multiple height areas. It's a distraction and annoyance, but not a game breaker and the other hotkeys that greatly speed up turns more than make up for it.

Yeah the camera is kinda busted inside the large UFO's anyway, but with mouse and KB you really need to double check your pathing every move. In the collector ships when you are in the middle of the UFO where it changes elevations around the doorways I'm rotating the camera a few times before every click to be sure I'm not sprinting my guy outside the room by the side door instead of posting up beside the main doorway. And some times even then it just does not want to let me select a square on the walkway but insists I either drop down a level or go around cover.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Such a thing...

iSJ1MwvJZqhHq.jpg

I think I'll go play Dishonored and classic X-Com.

Tacitus_

Has anyone had a problem with their rockets just... missing? I've had it happen twice now, both on an alien ship map. I aim a rocket and it misses by something like 4 tiles and crashes into a wall.

Top Bottom