• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This definitely happened to me (on Normal). I 'heard' them moving around me every round until suddenly my squadsight sniper who is always in the back was attacked from behind and barely survived.
I guess it should be more frequent though, maybe would be if maps were a touch bigger.

Interesting points though, I'd agree with a lot even if I'm yet to try anything harder than normal. There's definitely a point where the strategy layer becomes very easy, that's the main issue imo.
Yeah, this can happen now, but it's always by accident instead of just according to keikaku*.

I'm thinking of having the as of yet unrevealed patrols getting called in by the aliens you are currently fighting, and instead of continuing on their random patrol, make a beeline stright for your position.

A 20% random chance for the ranking alien on that mission to decide, "aw fuck it, let's just bum rush these XCOM jerks" might be a nice variety once in a while.

*translator's note: 'keikaku' means 'plan'.

Nocebo

Dude, you have clearly never met a Min / Max gamer, I really think you should just uh... let people the game however the fuck they want.
I think uh a min/maxer shouldn't complain about tedium. I'm a min/maxer myself and you don't hear me complaining. lol Maybe you guys should take a step back and look at what's going on here.
How hard is this to understand? How is the game at fault for a play style that's inherently tedious? Explain that to me.

TTG

I can't believe the geoscape is such a challenge on classic and after managing my shit so well on a previous go around... The real issue has emerged, it's a tug of war between weapon development and how soon I attack the alien base. I can only play wack a mole with satellites for so long, already my starting country is yellow. Only one country has withdrawn so far, but I've already designated another as a goner.

I can attack the alien base in 4 days, but I don't have beam weapons or plasma. All I got is carapace armor. Another issue is, exactly how long until berserkers and heavy floaters start showing up? I'm almost done with my third month, by the way. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but original beam weapon research only unlocks the rifle, correct? Like I don't get the shotgun and sniper right away. That may be a deal breaker, go straight to plasma.

Nocebo

I didn't say it's "crucial". I said it's what you can do to get the best start in the game.
Yay semantics: ok so you said it's a big factor before and then you said it wasn't. I guess that doesn't exactly map to crucial. You got me. Are you happy?

At what point specifically does this turn from "normal play" into "gaming the game"?
I guess when you do it so frequently that you start complaining about tedium where there is none on a gaming forum. Then you're just bringing it upon yourself. Also one bad situation does not a futile path make. Also a futile path is different from wanting to do things perfectly. What you're saying has nothing to do with what was being discussed.

For those who think in XCom there's no exploratin at all. Yes, the original was different and more elaborate, but some of the mechanics ar very archaic and do not fit well in today's market. Firaxis streamlined a lot of gameplay elements but the result is very good and still have a lot of variety, in the maps too (the game still need random generated maps).

Look at this... this is not small at all, and there's a lot of % ground to explore (a big ufo landed there...)

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u663/Jabaskunda/bf621f12a9ac10252ff618c5efc6dbd3_zps3e73b759.jpg

I'm so happy I have the PC version as I can edit a lot of the game and make it to my liking. Too few ufo's? Increase them. Too much stuff from crashed ufo's? Decrease it. Cryssalids not frightening enough? Make them tougher. So much choice. Loads of fun.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Just finished Normal Ironman. The game freaked the fuck out the last 5% or so. Crashes everywhere, shivs getting stuck in geometry with no vision and no way to get out, soldiers running out in the open even though I explicitly made sure they'd run into cover. Damn that was close. For a game this buggy ya'll sure had a nice juicy 20000 people strong QA credit roll 2K fuckin hell. Ain't touching ironman again until I'm sure the bugs are fixed.

Also, I keep hearing people talk about this but I didn't catch/see the reference to
Terror from the Deep
in the ending or am I just mistaken?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yay semantics: ok so you said it's a big factor before and then you said it wasn't.

I said it's a big factor if you choose to not hire new guys. I then said it's not a big factor if you do choose to hire new guys. Different ways to play the game.

You got me. Are you happy?
My ecstasy overflows my pleasure threshold buffer.

I guess when you do it so frequently that you start complaining about tedium where there is none on a gaming forum.

Gamers complain about stuff on NeoGAF. News at 11.

Also one bad situation does not a futile path make.
Not always, but it can. It can also make a player feel like he'd rather just start over. Who cares?

What you're saying has nothing to do with what was being discussed.
lol, yes it does.

I love this game and all... but these FUCKING BUGS are really irritating.

I just had a sectopod get under the map on a terror mission somehow, took me 3 turns to realize what the hell was going on. He was anniahlating me and i couldn't do shit about it. Cost me 2 col. my only 2 psi soldiers, and India.... playing on ironman :(

Any word on a patch?

God, I love those fights where things seem like they are about to spiral totally out of control, but you somehow hold it together to pull out victory.

I was assaulting a landed supply ship. Immedetially, two sectoid commanders, who mind control one guy, the other one i was able to take out quickly.

My Shiv moves back and supresses the mind controlled (squaddie assault) trooper.

I see on opening on the right, the commander is on a ledge, and there's a door from the outside so I can get a perfect flank. Awesome I think, and move my heavy and Support into position, while My assault moves to get an angle on the escape in case the little fuck runs away. I've lost vision on the sectoid at this point, but I figure he won't give up his nice high ground.

Next turn, aliens move, supressed squaddie doesn't do anything. My flanking force open the door.

SURPRISE, the sectoid commander decided to move to a fortified position, and a cyberdisk took his place. My support takes a shot and then my heavy goes, Figuring he can't be far, my heavy lauches a shredder, which promptly slams into the wall, damaging my support and leaving him totally exposed.

Thankfuly everyone survives, and my heavy can now one shot the cyber disk. But man, I thought for sure that cyber disk would down my support. But he left that for the set of Muton Elites that patrolled into my ass three turns later, along with the sectopod and 4 more mutons. Thankfully I had a moment to breath before I got two sets of Muton/Beserkers forces at once. For a moment I'd thought that I was going to wipe, but the only casualties were my Shiv and lt. support. Just a crazy fight.

I kind of wish the AI was a bit more agressive in patrols, those fights where you feel like you are constantly being pushed are more interesting than the ones where you have to constantly flush out the enemies in small groups.

Celegus

Happy to announce that I'll be joining GafCom after all! Didn't think I'd get it until sometime next year, but I won a free Steam game of my choice in the latest Gamespot podcast, and there was no question Xcom was the way to go.

Magilla

Banned
I swear on my first normal playthrough I didn't have half as many mob bugs as I am on my current Ironman playthrough. Lots of mobs spawning in the middle of my troops, getting bombed by sectopods that aren't anywhere near in my LoS, etc. Nothing game breaking yet, but supper annoying to lose troops that way.

Mupod

God, I love those fights where things seem like they are about to spiral totally out of control, but you somehow hold it together to pull out victory.

I was assaulting a landed supply ship. Immedetially, two sectoid commanders, who mind control one guy, the other one i was able to take out quickly.

My Shiv moves back and supresses the mind controlled (squaddie assault) trooper.

I see on opening on the right, the commander is on a ledge, and there's a door from the outside so I can get a perfect flank. Awesome I think, and move my heavy and Support into position, while My assault moves to get an angle on the escape in case the little fuck runs away. I've lost vision on the sectoid at this point, but I figure he won't give up his nice high ground.

Next turn, aliens move, supressed squaddie doesn't do anything. My flanking force open the door.

SURPRISE, the sectoid commander decided to move to a fortified position, and a cyberdisk took his place. My support takes a shot and then my heavy goes, Figuring he can't be far, my heavy lauches a shredder, which promptly slams into the wall, damaging my support and leaving him totally exposed.

Thankfuly everyone survives, and my heavy can now one shot the cyber disk. But man, I thought for sure that cyber disk would down my support. But he left that for the set of Muton Elites that patrolled into my ass three turns later, along with the sectopod and 4 more mutons. Thankfully I had a moment to breath before I got two sets of Muton/Beserkers forces at once. For a moment I'd thought that I was going to wipe, but the only casualties were my Shiv and lt. support. Just a crazy fight.

I kind of wish the AI was a bit more agressive in patrols, those fights where you feel like you are constantly being pushed are more interesting than the ones where you have to constantly flush out the enemies in small groups.

Are you on classic? There are far more patrols on that mode, still some who just mill about, but things are a lot more dynamic for sure. I have had the game play Hide the Muton on me once or twice too.

I had some close calls similar to yours though. Near the end of my last run I brought a couple low/mid ranked psionics to a terror mission because I really needed to level them up. It was a very small map where you start right in front of a building. It started off barely under control - I'd cleared out all the chryssalids and all but one Heavy Floater from the big room. Just as I moved my Heavy into position to take a shot at the floater, apparently he somehow managed to get magical line of sight on 2 Mutons, 2 chryssalids, and a berserker. And he didn't have LOS on the floater who was like 5 squares away and directly in range. I thought I was fucked. I still had my SHIV though, so I moved it into position to suppress the berserker to maybe stop it from moving around (tends to work pretty often).

The heavy managed to kill one of the chryssalids, and my next turn began. Berserker moves out of suppression and eats the shot, and runs straight for my Assault who takes a reaction shot with his alloy cannon. It's still not dead. However instead of punching my soldier in the face he goes for a civilian. The two Mutons, instead of flanking my Heavy, run behind cover. One takes potshots at the SHIV which miss. The floater shoots a civilian too, even though he could have easily flown around and taken a shot at one of my soldiers from behind. The remaining chryssalid doesn't screw around though - he runs up and mangles my Heavy pretty good, taking him down to 2 hp and poisoning him. I didn't even know they could hit that hard.

So next turn begins and I'm baffled that nobody's dead. Heavy blasts the chryssalid and thanks to bullet swarm is able to run over to my support and get a heal. Psi badass #1 controls the heavy floater. I run&gun my assault over to the Mutons, at which point I realize I'm an idiot and he's out of ammo + I can't hit the Mutons with my other guys since they are behind a wall in the next room. I then remember my other Heavy, take out the entire goddamn wall (and the berserker) with a rocket, and now I have two Mutons standing around in their underwear allowing my sniper to take one out. This leaves one scared and alone Muton who tries to dash to cover but instead eats alloy cannon reaction fire to the face (fun fact: that 4-tile reaction fire assault ability works when the gun's empty too). From there I just played around with my pet floater until the mission was over. Ended up only losing like 3 civilians, most of whom just took hits for my own soldiers. Good thing I didn't rescue them.

Are you on classic? There are far more patrols on that mode, still some who just mill about, but things are a lot more dynamic for sure. I have had the game play Hide the Muton on me once or twice too.

Ohh yea, def. classic, I can't compare to normal.

And I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that i'd like to see it more. I mean, I I've had fights that go like that, where enemies are coming in and out of vision, and I'm having to use a lot of range and tactics, and make hard choices to win fights, I'd say that I get that in about 1/3 of the rounds I get, but a lot of the other ones end up being slower paced bug hunts.

Both are totally valid mind you, I just think more balance could be put on the really intense firefights where you get lots of patrols, the aliens are using more mixed unit tactics, and such. I think it comes down to this, the levels are generally well designed, they provide a lot of tactical variancce, and I really enjoy the challenges they present. The encounter design is a bit more uneven, and sometimes it relies on monster closets too too much. I think the Encounter design is somewhat random though, which might explain why it's haphazard sometimes. It seems like something a Mod could fix, depending on how exposed the variables for that generation are.

Tacitus_

Man I really fucked up the satellite coverage >_>

jqLLp.png

Still, Victory in 366 days!

atomico

Completed the campaign last night. The ending was pretty lousy
I wonder if the escape sequence changes if the psi soldier is the only one left alive
. Not crazy about how the tutorial squad deaths count towards your total.

Immediately afterwards, I started a Classic/Ironman run, HQ in Africa. First mission was a total bloodbath. 2nd try was a breeze, tho. Only one soldier got wounded

Classic ironman is such bullshit.

Shoot a sectoid with 3 HP right next to his face and do 2 HP damage. Doesn't die.

Get killed next turn with full 6HP in 1 hit...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Question: Is it smart to do research priorities as soon as possible? Does this push the game forward too fast? Or should I build up base, weapons, other research etc.

Priorities just mean events that will step the story. It's not always optimal to do so.

That being set, getting alien containment set up and equipping one member of your squad with arc throwers is a very good thing. The research savings you get as you capture aliens is substantial, and you need to capture their plasma weapons before you can research them for your own use.

Starting a new playthrough when I get home tonight. I remember some of you mentioned an increased UFO activity mod. Anyone actually try it yet and/or have a link handy?

Firebrand

What's the panic level change after a successful abduction mission (on Classic)? -2 for the country you went too, +2 for the other two, +1 for other countries on those two continents?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Priorities just mean events that will step the story. It's not always optimal to do so.

That being set, getting alien containment set up and equipping one member of your squad with arc throwers is a very good thing. The research savings you get as you capture aliens is substantial, and you need to capture their plasma weapons before you can research them for your own use.

Cool, thanks! Can you capture multiple aliens with only one containment setup?

Classic playthrough is currently going pretty rough. It was great until the first terror mission - lost 4 trained soldiers, got one out and failed it. Egypt immediately drops, and a battleship eats a satellite and a ship.

Is there any way to watch my panic better? at the start of the third month I had 5 sats up (until one got munched on) and was prepping the 20 engineers for a third uplink. But 1 failed terror mission and this playthrough looks like it's on its way to a slow demise.

Rufus

Shoot a sectoid with 3 HP right next to his face and do 2 HP damage. Doesn't die.

Bad rolls. Happens all the time. One more reason to get beam weapons as early as possible.
What annoys me more is the cover not detecting changes properly. You can be next to an enemy and still not have a 100% hit chance because - I don't know why. The cover doesn't seem to update properly a lot of the time.

Tacitus_

Bad rolls. Happens all the time. One more reason to get beam weapons as early as possible.
What annoys me more is the cover not detecting changes properly. You can be next to an enemy and still not have a 100% hit chance because - I don't know why. The cover doesn't seem to update properly a lot of the time.

That might be just an UI fuckup. I've had a couple of times like that, with the hit chance in the 30s. I always made the shot.

patapuf

Question: Is it smart to do research priorities as soon as possible? Does this push the game forward too fast? Or should I build up base, weapons, other research etc.

if you play classic the panic will rise pretty quickly, so you will want to advance the story quickly at least until you've attacked the alien base. You don't need to research priorities immediately but concentrate on a few key technologies (for your playstyle) and putting up satelites.

Afterwards managing the panic is a bit easier and you can take your time.

On normal this is not really an issue since the aliens scale with story progression and not with time.

¨
I like to imagine a zoo of holding cells behind the one big containment room.

i think they just kill them after they are done with the interrogation. Afterwards i sell of the body on the gray market.

For humanity.

Rufus

You can catch more than you interrogate.

That might be just an UI fuckup. I've had a couple of times like that, with the hit chance in the 30s. I always made the shot.
I wish I did.

I guess the non-flanking flanking could be a UI glitch though, hadn't considered that possibility.

lvclix

Banned
Has anyone been able to build a sectopod? I researched this in the foundry and the option to build one never presented itself. Wondering if this is a result of having the PS3 version and it being almost unplayable.

Woo-Fu

Banned

xcom has reverse difficulty curve. The game starts out at its hardest and just gets easier.

Sectoids have light plasma rifles which can 1-hit anybody on your squad pretty easily. On top of that light plasma has +10 to accuracy.

Meanwhile you have crappy weapons, crappy accuracy, and a smaller team.

Has anyone been able to build a sectopod? I researched this in the foundry and the option to build one never presented itself. Wondering if this is a result of having the PS3 version and it being almost unplayable.

You don't research the ability to build a sectopod, lol.

Hmmmm... I may restart for a third time. I'm doing well with missions but panic is getting a little out of control and I lost 3 countries due to some misunderstandings. I don't think I'm in any kind of unwinnable situation yet but I could do much better now that I'm more familiar with the tech and panic management. Should I just stick with it and worry about with later playthrough or restart? I haven't reached the alien base yet.

Rufus

Hmmmm... I may restart for a third time. I'm doing well with missions but panic is getting a little out of control and I lost 3 countries due to some misunderstandings. I don't think I'm in any kind of unwinnable situation yet but I could do much better now that I'm more familiar with the tech and panic management. Should I just stick with it and worry about with later playthrough or restart? I haven't reached the alien base yet.
What difficulty? On normal, you can just delay and put up more satellites when necessary, losing three countries doesn't mean much. If you're on classic, you should do the base ASAP.

What difficulty? On normal, you can just delay and put up more satellites when necessary, losing three countries doesn't mean much. If you're on classic, you should do the base ASAP.

Normal Ironman. It's not that I think I'm dead, it's more that I know I could be in a much better place but I think I'll just deal with it. What were they thinking trusting the fate of mankind to a noob like me?

Rufus

Normal Ironman. It's not that I think I'm dead, it's more that I know I could be in a much better place but I think I'll just deal with it. What were they thinking trusting the fate of mankind to a noob like me?
Trust me, you'll be fine. I totally slept on satellite coverage during my first game and ended up being nigh invincible, anyway. The only difference to a more optimal game was that I hadn't arrived at that point as quickly as I could have.

Top Bottom