• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Izick

Just picked it up

ibxvOO2fJbgvho.gif

Will play after I watch some WWF.

Took a few days off the game to amp myself back up for what I'm guessing is gonna be the final push tonight. After that, it's onto my first Classic Ironman run!

Juice

Anyone else have a really hard time getting into this game? I'm on the third or fourth mission but it just isn't grabbing me. :-(

Fuck it.

Got to the end mission had to restart the thing 4 fucking times because the spawns weren't triggering, get into the last room, and basically am fucked. Deleted all my save games, uninstalled it.

I didn't put my fist through my monitor though, so at least I have less anger issues than I did in the 90s playing the first game...

Izick

Fuck it.

Got to the end mission had to restart the thing 4 fucking times because the spawns weren't triggering, get into the last room, and basically am fucked. Deleted all my save games, uninstalled it.

I didn't put my fist through my monitor though, so at least I have less anger issues than I did in the 90s playing the first game...

XCom shows you how you have grown as a man.

Dynamic3

Are you trying to do that once you are in a game? It won't let you.

Restart the program, and before you load your save or start a new game, change the controls in the options.

It was the lug nut, fixed it.

I have another odd issue now, no matter what I select, ambient occlusion resets to low.

Also, does it not always show the yellow outline when your cursor is beyond the blue outline. It seems quite random for me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ive got dishonored to play and wwe 13 in 2 weeks, Ill just youtube the ending, and come back to the game once its patched/expanded/I have a lapse in judgement.

XCOM isn't the type of game you just play once. You're supposed to learn from your mistakes and start again. That's why it's not insanely long.

Astery

I found the game most enjoyable and challenging from the beginning to the point where your team is transitioning into titan armor and plasma weapons. It gets pretty easy afterwards, with only the new gadgets you can play with with your armors (ghost mode, flying) for you to mess around with. All countries are covered with satellites by then hence no pressure in the "situation" part at all, major researches and engineering stuff done. Just literally waiting for now useless income to do nothing with it.

Izick

Ive got dishonored to play and wwe 13 in 2 weeks, Ill just youtube the ending, and come back to the game once its patched/expanded/I have a lapse in judgement.

Just curious. Why are you getting WWE 13? I really want to get it because I love wrasslin, especially Attitude Era stuff, but everyone on here is saying it's gonna be bad.

duckroll

I think I'm really turning the corner now. I've been playing this pretty slow, but it's been pretty great aside from the bugs I keep running into. Lol. And not of the alien type either. >_<

Shortly after I got my first A rating on the third monthly report, I finally assaulted the alien base, captured the commander, killed everything else, and now panic levels across the world have dropped significantly. I have 1 new satellite in hand, 3 more on the way, about to build another workshop so I can build a new uplink, foundry is almost done. Feels good to finally be on top for while.... at least while it lasts. Lol.

Just curious. Why are you getting WWE 13? I really want to get it because I love wrasslin, especially Attitude Era stuff, but everyone on here is saying it's gonna be bad.

the roster has swayed me, and the gameplay in wwe 12 wasnt that bad, I think they are making strides to improve, some of the character models are hideous though...

KingKong

Man plasma sniper rifles seem almost unfair

Fuck those big mecha robots though. I had one right at the beginning of the the second story mission and he took out 2 guys :(

KingKong

I found the game most enjoyable and challenging from the beginning to the point where your team is transitioning into titan armor and plasma weapons. It gets pretty easy afterwards, with only the new gadgets you can play with with your armors (ghost mode, flying) for you to mess around with. All countries are covered with satellites by then hence no pressure in the "situation" part at all, major researches and engineering stuff done. Just literally waiting for now useless income to do nothing with it.

I agree with this, the enemy variety was better too, now its mostly mutons

imo the game strategy is too straightfoward (satellites first, laser to plasma, go get titan), ive basically had to make no hard choices and I really dont see myself replaying the game any time soon

Ken

So how many of you guys would sign up for a real XCOM (and who would be the poor guys in the Interceptors).

I've just started receiving a "Failed to create d3d9 device, this could be because the desktop is locked" message every time I try to start the game. Worked perfectly before, don't recall any changes I made.

Any ideas?

Riposte

Oh boy. Hire three soldiers. Get nothing. Still lose money. Ironman run. EDIT: Ahhh, they are on a delay. Of course. Thank god.

Also the first battle of this current run had this happen: alien runs into four soldiers using overwatch. All four miss. Alien takes aim, misses. All four soldiers aim at alien, all four miss. Alien aims, misses. All four soldiers aim at alien, three miss, last one hits and kills. The aim rating was hanging around 40-50%. (When I lose this run, I'll have to do this shit again, lol)

I'm also confused a lot about damage. The game shows me I'm going to take four health blocks, but I only take three. Ended losing two dudes in one run because of that. In case, I'm building one sick sniper in the process.

Astery

I hate this game.

I've seen worse in one of my terror missions.
3 disks, 4 drones, 6 Chryssalid all at the same time followed by 2 zombies. Made it through with no casualties in my squad after reloading the mission from round 1 for a few times.

another in battleship UFO
2 Sectopods, 2 drones, 3 mutons, 2 muton elites, 1 muton charger, 2 heavy floaters and 3 floaters also in the same god damn area.

Man I love this game.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I'm also confused a lot about damage. The game shows me I'm going to take four health blocks, but I only take three. Ended losing two dudes in one run because of that. In case, I'm building one sick sniper in the process.

It was showing you the maximum that you would take. The basic rifle does UP TO 4 damage.

KingKong

Does anyone else think snipers are OP? With a plasma rifle and double tap, they deal by far the most damage and are basically never in danger

Izick

the roster has swayed me, and the gameplay in wwe 12 wasnt that bad, I think they are making strides to improve, some of the character models are hideous though...

That's why I know I'm going to get it as well. That and I really like CM Punk.

-----------------------------------

So I just learned the lesson of always fucking save. Just beat my first crash site, upgraded characters, and then it froze. Ugh. Oh well. Anyway, holy fuck is this a lot to take in at once. I mean they explain a lot of it fairly well, but it's definitely something you must delve into. Kind of scares me thinking that anything I do wrong this early could end the game in failure.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Wooot my elite double tap sniper Rodrigo 'Demon' Ramirez has the psi gift!

that's too bad, seeing as how psi abilities don't work with squad sight. :p I always cross my fingers for one of my high level supports to have the gift. Failing that assault works too. I keep my heavies off the front line and my snipers are typically floating in the air back by the skyranger.

Rufus

Fuck Chrysalids. Fuck them so much.

This game was going well, too... You are so, so fucked if you run into them without advanced weaponry. It wouldn't be so bad if Zombies wouldn't spawn the next turn, or wouldn't move as fast. Thought I could salvage the situation shortly after by doing the base, but no. Chrysalids. Six of them.

;_;

Beaulieu

i really dont get how to play classic ironman.
the fuckin basic alien at the start are raping me doing crits from the other end of the map while I only take 2 off their life bars from 20 cm distance wtf
then, 3rd or 4th mission in, fuckin floaters spawn. wtf. its way too early. is it because i rushed sattelites?

fuckin shitty game

goty

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Fuck Chrysalids. Fuck them so much.

This game was going well, too... You are so, so fucked if you run into them without advanced weaponry. It wouldn't be so bad if Zombies wouldn't spawn the next turn, or wouldn't move as fast. Thought I could salvage the situation shortly after by doing the base, but no. Chrysalids. Six of them.

;_;

I wish chryssalid zombies behaved like the original, and instead of just dying, a brand new, smiling chryssalid pops out.

Astery

Does anyone else think snipers are OP? With a plasma rifle and double tap, they deal by far the most damage and are basically never in danger

To me, yes. With archangel? Even more so.
I think heavies are under powered at the same time, while plasma launchers are godly, they have terrible aim, slow movement that barely have much reason to have in the team when you can replace a heavy with a sniper. May be it's different in impossible mode, I'm just playin on classic.

Miletius

To me, yes. With archangel? Even more so.
I think heavies are under powered at the same time, while plasma launchers are godly, they have terrible aim, slow movement that barely have much reason to have in the team when you can replace a heavy with a sniper. May be it's different in impossible mode, I'm just playin on classic.

Heavy's strength lies mostly in with large groups of weaker foes. Just need to pack him with all the rocket powers.

Plus supression + flanking is pretty godly too. Heavy and assault combo nicely with each other.

That being said, both heavy and assault really suffer because they are basically an all in play because of their range.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wish chryssalid zombies behaved like the original, and instead of just dying, a brand new, smiling chryssalid pops out.

The zombies turn to chyssalids if you let them live too long. Probably happens a lot in the fog which is why there's so many of the fuckers.

They do. That happened on my first chrysalid mission and I wasn't expecting it, and I freaked the FUCK out. It takes several turns. If the zombies start puking before they move, they're about to change.

Miletius

So how's this group suppression thing work for heavies? I generally spec towards rockets

He can basically suppress anything within 2 squares of your main target. It's ok -- kind of too situational. It's nice if you have clumping enemies and can be really nice if you have mayhem and your targets are mechanical, since that adds killer damage to your suppress also. Again, it supports the notion that Heavies are an AoE/Mechanical killer class.

Riposte

Bomb missions are way harder than anything else I've done. I practically have to throw soldiers away in order to keep the timer up.

Astery

Heavy's strength lies mostly in with large groups of weaker foes. Just need to pack him with all the rocket powers.

Plus supression + flanking is pretty godly too. Heavy and assault combo nicely with each other.

That being said, both heavy and assault really suffer because they are basically an all in play because of their range.

Assault run n gun+ rapid shot will take down most things, if it doesn't, a sniper to finish off would be of the same result. The approximate flanking positions should be ready before encountering the enemies, so there isn't much need for supporting instead of just killing stuff off.

So how's this group suppression thing work for heavies? I generally spec towards rockets

Group suppression will suppress a tile? Or so enemies around the target you choose to suppress, dealing 1 to 3?damage to the affected targets according to what weapon your heavy is using. From my testing, default LMG is 1, beam is 2, plasma is 3.

Salsa

Bomb missions are way harder than anything else I've done. I practically have to throw soldiers away in order to keep the timer up.

really? I found them super easy on my playthrough. The maps are smallish and they mostly just involve thin men

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I only had one bomb difficult but it was late game and was entirely thin men. Every single council request was easy for me and always loaded with early game enemies.

Nu nu nu nununu.

In the original XCOM, if you shoot a zombie and kill it, it dies and a brand new chryssalid pops out of the corpse.

Well that's just fucked up.

RyanDG

Nu nu nu nununu.

In the original XCOM, if you shoot a zombie and kill it, it dies and a brand new chryssalid pops out of the corpse.

So many times I found myself in the original re positioning away from zombies in a fighting retreat just so I didn't have to kill them. I started this game doing the same thing, until I realized I didn't have to worry about that threat lol.

Top Bottom