• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Yeah I could choose the three different continents but I stuck with Europe, is there a huge difference in continent choice, or is there a 'best' continent choice?

There is no 'best' choice, although Africa and Asia are strongly recommended as starting locations on Classic Ironman and up. Also, the bonus for locating your base on a given continent can be achieved by having all the countries on a given continent with satellite coverage. So it doesn't make sense to place a base in South America, as the same can be achieved with 2 satellites.

TTG

I'm really blasting through classic right now, next go around(whenever that happens) will be on ironman. Buying 4 sets of titan armor and 2 plasma rifles in one go, just burning through that 6 light plasma trade cash!

commissar

Played just past the tutorial.
Am thinking I might restart so I can have the chance to make my own choices on research etc. Fun game so far.

Though the camera movement is awful and the controls make it feel like a chore to play which is quite disappointing.

Should I be using a 360 controller instead of mouse and keyboard?

TTG

Though the camera movement is awful and the controls make it feel like a chore to play which is quite disappointing.

Should I be using a 360 controller instead of mouse and keyboard?

The only complaint I have about the controls is the one that always gets mentioned, interior of multistory structures. Even then, it's nothing 5 seconds of moving the camera around can't fix. I'm playing the ps3 version.

Similarly, I only have one problem with the camera. The way it sometimes centers on your guy/target is a bit misleading. Just glance down to make sure you're about to send the right soldier off and you're targeting the right alien(for example, if you target an alien, but then switch to a different attack, it will reset targets).

Minor issues, in the big scheme of things. Give it a couple of hours.

duckroll

FUCK this FUCKING Terror Mission in Mexico up the FUCKING BUTT! >_<

I start outside a huge two-storey building. All the civilians are inside. Pretty much all the aliens are also inside. There are about 9 Chrysallids, a Cyberdisk, a drone, and there's a Muton and a Berserker somewhere behind the building. If I approach it slow, civilians start to die and more zombies start to pop up. There's no way to approach "fast" either, because this is XCOM and I don't want everyone to fucking die. To make matters worse, the camera is fucking abysmal inside the building. I can't even tell what the first floor, and what is the second floor, and what is the roof. The outlines get all fucked up, aiming grenades and battle scanners is a total pain in the ass, arhgarhagrhaghrah.

Firaxis why did you make stupid missions like this?! >_<

Gunpriest

Neo Member
How about aiming a rocket at the wrong height in that situation and missing your target thanks to that?

How about (spoiler final mission)
standing at the final closed alien door and the door doesnt open, because the last group of mutons disappeared/bugged out?

methane47

ibdE57yLWcPFRY.jpg

Whoa... How do you get Helmets and different colored Armors?

Fuck sake, with my first save it was locking up every other mission after the Skyranger landed and now in my non-Ironman run (forgot to turn it on) I've been playing for a bit, done two missions(finished alien base) and a lot of base work.

I just shot down a battleship, killed about 7 Elite mutons and a sectopod and opened a door and my game just froze... I can pause, go back to XMB but can't save or move the camera or finish the units action it's just stuck.

So I guess I just lost all my progress again.

This is killing the game for me, so fucking close to GoTY, but I can't overlook this broken shit anymore, sigh.

haikira

Whoa, wait. Was the ability to customize your soldiers a pre order exclusive, or is it just a few extra items of customization?

First i noticed anything about it. All i cared about, was getting a free Civilization V.

TTG

A quick guide to the Geoscape on classic:

-Spam satellites early. As much as your engineer capacity will allow you to build(in terms of uplinks and nexus).

-While you're waiting for the satellite stuff to come online, build an officer training school and a foundry to tick those boxes off. Foundry isn't strictly necessary, but it's so cheap that it doesn't really matter. Build 2 labs as well, it will make the research times on a lot of the things you need come down. If you're waiting 2 weeks or more for something, you're doing it wrong.

-The rest of your money and resources go into gear, all of it. If you feel like you need a stepping stone for weapons, get the laser rifle, but don't bother with beam weapons further than that. Plasma weapons and alloy shotgun, armor, advanced fighters... stock up on all of that. Buy in bulk, just watch your ellerium.

That's it and that's all. I think I have about a whole level total in how much of the base is unused and it will stay that way. What's the point? Scientists and engineers come through satellite coverage and missions. Similarly, I didn't bother with most interrogations/autopsies. They just clicked over to "instant", which was an unexpected surprise. This sort of pace adds up. Mutons JUST switched from light to actual plasma rifles, I still haven't seen a heavy floater... And I'm already in titan armor and have been using different plasma stuff for some time. Seems obvious now, but I was stumbling early.

duckroll

Whoa, wait. Was the ability to customize your soldiers a pre order exclusive, or is it just a few extra items of customization?

First i noticed anything about it. All i cared about, was getting a free Civilization V.

Customization is not a pre-order exclusive, but I think changing armor colors are.

atomico

Customization is not a pre-order exclusive, but I think changing armor colors are.

IIRC it's colors, the armor deco and the Guile hair

I breezed through the game on Normal (All countries in, only 1 soldier dead), but Classic Ironman is kicking my ass so bad...

I've been giving it 5 or 6 missions, then I just cut my losses and restart the campaign. By that time, I either lost 15-20 soldiers total, lost a country or my entire team wiped and failed a mission.
Getting promoted seems to be bad luck as well. Squaddies / corporals only return to HQ in body bags.

Finished my Normal Ironman run tonight, which got me the "have one soldier complete every mission achievement." All I have left now are the beat on Classic/Impossible Ironman, beat on Impossible, shoot down 40 UFOs, and beat it from all 5 countries achievements.

Think I'm going to step back and take a break for now, maybe play some Dishonored, because beating the game twice in under two weeks really took a lot out of me. However the game's extremely fun and I know I'll be coming back to it eventually.

marrec

Banned
FUCK this FUCKING Terror Mission in Mexico up the FUCKING BUTT! >_<

I start outside a huge two-storey building. All the civilians are inside. Pretty much all the aliens are also inside. There are about 9 Chrysallids, a Cyberdisk, a drone, and there's a Muton and a Berserker somewhere behind the building. If I approach it slow, civilians start to die and more zombies start to pop up. There's no way to approach "fast" either, because this is XCOM and I don't want everyone to fucking die. To make matters worse, the camera is fucking abysmal inside the building. I can't even tell what the first floor, and what is the second floor, and what is the roof. The outlines get all fucked up, aiming grenades and battle scanners is a total pain in the ass, arhgarhagrhaghrah.

Firaxis why did you make stupid missions like this?! >_<

I just ended up blowing the building skyhigh with a succession of rockets from the 3 heavys that I took on the mission with me.

10 civvie ended up dying (Because of me) and the end mission score for Civilian casualties was 'Good'.

:lol

pringles

-Spam satellites early. As much as your engineer capacity will allow you to build(in terms of uplinks and nexus).

-While you're waiting for the satellite stuff to come online, build an officer training school and a foundry to tick those boxes off. Foundry isn't strictly necessary, but it's so cheap that it doesn't really matter. Build 2 labs as well, it will make the research times on a lot of the things you need come down. If you're waiting 2 weeks or more for something, you're doing it wrong.

-The rest of your money and resources go into gear, all of it. If you feel like you need a stepping stone for weapons, get the laser rifle, but don't bother with beam weapons further than that. Plasma weapons and alloy shotgun, armor, advanced fighters... stock up on all of that. Buy in bulk, just watch your ellerium.

That's it and that's all. I think I have about a whole level total in how much of the base is unused and it will stay that way. What's the point? Scientists and engineers come through satellite coverage and missions. Similarly, I didn't bother with most interrogations/autopsies. They just clicked over to "instant", which was an unexpected surprise. This sort of pace adds up. Mutons JUST switched from light to actual plasma rifles, I still haven't seen a heavy floater... And I'm already in titan armor and have been using different plasma stuff for some time. Seems obvious now, but I was stumbling early.
Yes, yes, this is all very true.. BUT where do you get all that money from?? Spamming satellites?? I have trouble affording a medkit the first few months!

coldfoot

Banned

Instant interrogations and autopsies are South America satellite coverage bonus. South America is the easiest continent to get full coverage, as it's only two countries, Brazil and Argentina.

Interrogating live aliens gives research bonus so that research on certain subjects takes 50% less time depending on the kind of alien, so try to do that as much as possible. Of course, capturing aliens is very risky.

Engineers are almost always more valuable than scientists. 2 Labs is all you need, but I'd build 3 workshops. Also try to pick missions that give extra engineers if possible.

Vek

I've got so many badass Aussie assaults (and sniper) at the moment. Australia must be making up for being the first country to pull out in my first game :p.

Doomshine

I've got so many badass Aussie assaults (and sniper) at the moment. Australia must be making up for being the first country to pull out in my first game :p.

For me they all seem to be coming from Scotland, I wish they had claymores and longbows.

I don't think this is a good idea - you can spread yourself too thin too fast early on. With satellites, you also have to invest in the air power to counter UFO's and basically have to manage more countries panic sooner. Its really about finding a good balance of choosing your abduction sites and hitting the council objectives to both manage panic and expand thoughtfully.

Also, you should wait till the end of the month, before the council report comes in, to choose which countries to launch satellites in to optimize for cash and panic levels. I won't launch satellites if countries have less than 4 panic, even if I'm strapped for cash. You're better off holding on to your satellites and using the grey markets for cash early on - I keep ~10-15 corspes of each of the lower level enemies on hand, sell all the rest.

atomico

Its really about finding a good balance of choosing your abduction sites and hitting the council objectives to both manage panic and expand thoughtfully.

Also, luck.
I picked a country for an abduction mission (thus neglecting the other two)... and I got a council mission on the very same place a couple days later. One of the other two countries, I lost shortly afterwards.

And don't freak out if you lose a country or two, it's not the end of the world. And on impossible, you have to accept that you will lose 4-6 of them.

Also, luck.
I picked a country for an abduction mission (thus neglecting the other two)... and I got a council mission on the very same place a couple days later. One of the other two countries, I lost shortly afterwards.

I meant the council objectives that push the 'story' forward, for example the
alien base raid that happens after you build the skeleton key
gives you a significant worldwide panic reduction, so I basically rush to make that mission available, then put it off as long as possible to build up my soldiers and expand - and go on the mission when panic is on the brink of being no longer manageable.

Wunder

I probably missed this during the tutorial, but the Hangar and the satellites are related, right? Should I have interceptors in continents without a satellite present, or is that just a waste of time?

duckroll

I probably missed this during the tutorial, but the Hangar and the satellites are related, right? Should I have interceptors in continents without a satellite present, or is that just a waste of time?

That is a waste of money. You only need interceptors to defend satellites against UFOs detected in the region. If you have no satellites there, you can't do jack shit.

- Labs at any time are a bad idea and poor return on investment. Spend the money on alien containment and let the good doctor give ET a good waterboarding. Get more workshops and more engineers up instead. Aggressively pushing your satellite capacity stalls out the geoscape strategy layer, and honestly all you need in this game is time.
- Foundry is simply not needed before Mutons show up.
- OTS is very important, but not getting it built until early to mid 2nd month is not the end of the world. You just need it for the five-man squad upgrade before the end of the 2nd month Terror Time.
- Heavy/Sniper Beam weapons are very much worth teching once you interrogate a Sectoid. The corresponding Plasma techs come in much , much later and if you rush them you won't be able to afford buying the actual weapons anyway (and heavy plasma doesn't drop until Muton Elites, and plasma sniper like never). That stuff is NOT cheap to build. You will also start to have real problems with interceptions w/o laser cannons to boot.

I don't think this is a good idea - you can spread yourself too thin too fast early on. With satellites, you also have to invest in the air power to counter UFO's and basically have to manage more countries panic sooner.

Solution to this-ignore a continent and let the aliens abduct from them, then place sats at the end of the month across the continent. You contain panic elsewhere and minimize how much interceptor coverage you need to have, while also getting that continent's bonus. Works great for early South America/Africa/North America while dropping some countries in Asia or Europe.

Also interceptors aren't super expensive, especially if you have the North America bonus.

Darkwater

I would kill for a button that strips all your troops of all their equiptment. What a chore to strip one or more soldiers and gear up the next.

I just started playing this and the one thing isn't super clear for me is can you avoid doing what I assume are the mission for as long as you want or do you have to them the next council report? I was prompted to attack an alien base and when I started the level I realized it was way to big for me to ever finish with even half my squad intact. I kind of want to be able to grind out some gear and money, but the game isn't really clear on what the fail states are.

I just started playing this and the one thing isn't super clear for me is can you avoid doing what I assume are the mission for as long as you want or do you have to them the next council report? I was prompted to attack an alien base and when I started the level I realized it was way to big for me to ever finish with even half my squad intact. I kind of want to be able to grind out some gear and money, but the game isn't really clear on what the fail states are.

You can put off the "priority" missions, which are the events that push the plot forward, but the aliens will continue to progress and panic will still go up by virtue of the game's normal progression. Your instinct to grind out for gear and money is correct, you have to find that right time to hit the next story beat.

McNum

The fail state is very clear, there's even a Doom Tracker to show exactly when you fail: Lose eight countries.

You can postpone the story missions for as long as you can avoid losing more than seven countries. The alien base is a global -2 panic when you clear it, though, so it can be handy to keep ready if panic starts to get out of hand.

You can put off the "priority" missions, which are the events that push the plot forward, but the aliens will continue to progress and panic will still go up by virtue of the game's normal progression. Your instinct to grind out for gear and money is correct, you have to find that right time to hit the next story beat.

Okay great I saw that base and turned the game off since it looked impossible.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I would kill for a button that strips all your troops of all their equiptment. What a chore to strip one or more soldiers and gear up the next.

I second that. I love the game but the equipment management is a huge pain in the ass and way it's too messy trying to rearm different troops.

Mike M

Nick N
What sort of composition do people roll with? I usually have 2 assault, 2 support, 1 sniper and 1 heavy.

My go-to team is 2 Assault, 2 Heavies, 1 Support and 1 Sniper, but I'm thinking of changing it up. My Assault guys are both packing Alloy Cannons, so combined with my Heavies, I'm ridiculously balanced for close range, which is not where I want to be. Maybe I'll give my Assault with Flush a plasma rifle and leave my guy with Rapid Fire with the ghost armor and alloy cannon for up close and personal combat. Swap a heavy out for another Sniper so I can increase coverage with archangel armor and squad sight.

I have a shitload of heavies for some reason...

Wunder

I'm only an hour or two into the game but my plan, once I have a full squad, is 2 assault, 1 heavy, 2 snipers and 1 support. Or 1 assault, 1 heavy, 2 snipers, 2 support. Something along those lines and revolving around the 2 sniper combo.

I really like two heavies, one support, and then work from there. I don't think double snipers is as required as it's made out to be, and can actually be a huge liability on some important maps (Alien Battleship immediately comes to mind).

Two heavies is the anchor though. Explosives are too good at damaging enemies and clearing out cover so you can help get kill shots for your rookies/squaddies you are trying to level up, and you'll need the HEAT ammo badly once the Sectopods start showing up.

Top Bottom