• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

SJRB

Gold Member
I've made a huge mistake playing the demo for this game earlier today, because now I want more. Awesome game all around, from what I could gather from the demo.

Noaloha

The dedicated Hunker Down keybind is screwed as far as I can tell.

For the less broad abilities that use numbers, I just press the number twice.

My bindings have overwatch on up-arrow, hunker down *would* be on down arrow if it worked, reload is on left-arrow and 'ability 1' (ie. targeting interface) is on right-arrow. Double press num-pad buttons for specific actions. Stuff like zoom-in/out, camera rotate, switch target is all mapped to mouse buttons.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I am playing too much XCOM. I play at home. I play at work. I help my friends play at work. I discovered how to play the original on my phone so now I play it when I am not parked in front of a TV. Starting to see things in a Geoscape format.

Zeliard

For Overwatch, Reload and Hunker Down, sure.
For the others, not that I know of.

Sure, but an ability like Overwatch is also a very commonly used move that you'd want to spam in a turn regardless of the soldier you're controlling. Others tend to be more situational.

I habitually put all of my guys on Overwatch within a couple seconds if it's tactically beneficial by pressing TAB + T in quick succession (I changed it from Y).

You can switch to another soldier as the previous soldier is taking a certain action, which speeds things up nicely.

Liberty4all

Banned
I was on my way to pick it up and turned back. Going to try the demo first.

While I really liked Valkyrie Chronicles I ended up selling it ... Respected that the game was at the top of its genre but it ended up being not for me. Kinda worried the same thing will happen with this although the mp is a big draw for me (I really only play mp games). The game is similar to Valkyrie chronicles right?

Also debating 360 or PC version ... I don't have the option to set up my pc on the TV right now and would prefer couch play.

Astery

Is there a shortcut key on game pad for Hunker Down? I only know Y/ triangle for over watch and select for end turn.

on a unrelated note: I gave my Major rank Heavy 1 job: kill a Sectopod since she is the closest to it, and the spot is only safe with 1 person in range to stay. She is equipped with heavy plasma, advanced scope, spec with heat ammo and bullet storm. She fired a total of 6 rounds (yep, 3 turns)and manages to miss every single shot of them, then got critical wounded by the Sectopod. Sent in a Major rank sniper and assault, ends it in a heart beat.

commissar

I have never played an XCOM before, but I just picked it up on my friend's enthusiasm (and Idle Thumbs' appreciation)

It seems I should go for the Ironman option, but would you guys recommend Normal or Classic?

NIN90

I have never played an XCOM before, but I just picked it up on my friend's enthusiasm (and Idle Thumbs' appreciation)

It seems I should go for the Ironman option, but would you guys recommend Normal or Classic?

Was in the same boat. I'd say Classic Ironman. The added tension makes the game way better.

epmode

I really want to play Classic Ironman but the various bugs have caused me to switch to Normal so it's not as frustrating.

Noaloha

I'd argue that the bugs issue is something you should be (legitimately) concerned about on the Ironman selection, but not on the Normal/Classic selection.

I save scummed through Classic no problem, but that was far too boring. On the other hand I can't handle Ironman mode. Having an entire squad panic and get wasted because a Thinman ran around a huge portion of the map and shot a soldier in the back is just too much of not having fun for me. I don't think I can keep playing this game.

r1chard

Still playing, still loving it.

Am getting a little annoyed at the alien spawning mechanism though. Especially when combined with the remote sensor thing that snipers can throw (and wtf is with that - why is that not just a device that any class could throw?) when you can throw it into a little UFO and see three groups of aliens just waiting to "spawn". Takes some of the fun out of it... I miss wandering aliens.

Still playing, still loving it.

Am getting a little annoyed at the alien spawning mechanism though. Especially when combined with the remote sensor thing that snipers can throw (and wtf is with that - why is that not just a device that any class could throw?) when you can throw it into a little UFO and see three groups of aliens just waiting to "spawn". Takes some of the fun out of it... I miss wandering aliens.

You can still shoot them when they are like that. Or you can have a cloaked soldier run up to them and throw a grenade.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it at 14 hours played according to Steam.

I was playing on Normal non-Ironman, so it was significantly easier than what most of you guys seem to be playing.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit. Aside from some control quirks using keyboard and mouse and the "samey" feeling that starts to kick in after 25 battles or so, I think it was great.

I hope they continue the series with expansions or a sequel.

Mike M

Nick N
Finally decided to stop farting around and move ahead with the story. I've lost four countries by this point, but have satellite coverage/satellites moving into position everywhere else. Have six sets of Titan armor, and plasma weapons for all my team.

Assault the alien base, and there's a god damned Sectopod in the first room : ( He only got one attack off, but these guys hit like a goddamn truck, so now I'm down a significant amount of HP on one of my non-sniper heavy hitters. Next room had some heavy floaters, one of which tagged three of my guys with a grenade.

Not off to a great start, but nothing insurmountable just so long as I don't get double teamed by Sectopods...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Wow, the PS3 version is kind of crappy. I just came back from a friend's house and I was surprised by the amount of tearing and the poor sound, on top of the horrible load times, the random choppiness and the awful texture pop in (I mean, it's noticeable on the PC version, but at least is pretty fast).

Oddly enough, *I'd swear* gamepad controls can be better than keyboard+mouse on account of not having to confirm every single action. Switching between floors and camera work are still a PITA, though.

Volodja

I'd argue that the bugs issue is something you should be (legitimately) concerned about on the Ironman selection, but not on the Normal/Classic selection.
Normal is easy enough that the bugs shouldn't completely ruin your Ironman run unless you get a really bad streak of them, but yeah, non-Ironman Classic would still seem to be the better choice in that position, at least if you are careful with your saves (and I'm not, so I'm waiting for patches).

You can still shoot them when they are like that. Or you can have a cloaked soldier run up to them and throw a grenade.

I didn't do a lot of cloaking my first runthrough, but I've discovered on my second playthrough that running up to a group of enemies cloaked and just destroying them is one of my favorite things to do now.

Unity2012

Also debating 360 or PC version ... I don't have the option to set up my pc on the TV right now and would prefer couch play.

I have both and TBH the 360 version is really good as well. I am now playing that version more since it works good with the lazy couch.

I agree.

I have both as well, PC and 360. The 360 version plays well and looks good; not as sharp as the Steam version but still really good.

I play the PC version with the 360 controller too; it does a good job.

My God, fucking
ethereals
in tight quarters. Goddamn, no KIAs, but some of my best soldiers have taken critical wiounds due to that crazy AOE attack, or mindcontrol on my heavy.

The first time I saw one, a sectopod missed a reaction shot, and took out a wall while I wasn't ready, and it was like my last dude with a movement. Managed to capture it, though, even though that crazy AOE attack knocked out one dude, and brought two others to one health.

Next crashed UFO I'm bringing a shiv.

Riposte

Is it fair to say they messed up continental powers? Africa seems like the best, partially due to the fact you don't want to put satellites in any African nation but Nigeria and the game's strategy is so centered on satellites.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Just finished it at 14 hours played according to Steam.

I was playing on Normal non-Ironman, so it was significantly easier than what most of you guys seem to be playing.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit. Aside from some control quirks using keyboard and mouse and the "samey" feeling that starts to kick in after 25 battles or so, I think it was great.

I hope they continue the series with expansions or a sequel.

You never "finish" XCOM. You might finish a playthrough but there is always more fun to be had, particularly for somebody who did normal non-ironman. ;)

krakov

You never "finish" XCOM. You might finish a playthrough but there is always more fun to be had, particularly for somebody who did normal non-ironman. ;)

Not really true with this game though. You'll be playing the same maps with the same spawns sooner rather than later and using the same spots for cover. It's clear and simple but really lacks freedom.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Whoa. I was steamrolling this game until the first mission with the Chryssalids. Should I be doing something different? I even got an A on my first month. Would it be best to just ignore this invasion call? I'm only on normal but have never played XCOM.

Jintor

Hopefully you should have beam weaponry by this point. The best defence against chrysallids is to kill them almost as soon as you see them, because the more there are p/turn the bigger a problem you have.

If you're feeling risky you can outright avoid using cover in chrysallid-centred missions because they don't bother with it, so you have a better range of movement. Beware backup mutons and floaters though.

Kurdel

Banned
Whoa. I was steamrolling this game until the first mission with the Chryssalids. Should I be doing something different? I even got an A on my first month. Would it be best to just ignore this invasion call? I'm only on normal but have never played XCOM.

Never ignore an invasion call.

Are you using overwatch? Because that is the best trick to kill fast enemies. Just prop a few guys on Overwatch, and send a soldier further to trigger movement. Seeing the Chrysalids will have that first move to get closer, you will have a one reaction shot lead on them.

I have a 93 kill sniper on my squad and I don't know how I would react if he dies. He's a double tapping plasma sniping monster.

That happened to me. My first terrorize mission, my team was wiped out after reaching that point with no loses. I actually started over because I learned quite a bit up to that point. In my second playthrough, once I upgraded my weapons it was a different game. I'm playing Normal Ironman as well.

SRG01

You mean the first terror mission? They key to that mission is to overwatch frequently and use run and gun. Snipers help too. It's also heavily dependent on the map so reload if the game tosses you into a wide open map. Unless, of course, you're playing iron man.

PS. Two grenade tosses should take out Crystallids on Classic.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Not really true with this game though. You'll be playing the same maps with the same spawns sooner rather than later and using the same spots for cover. It's clear and simple but really lacks freedom.

...and yet I'm on my 5th playthrough still enjoying it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so I'm low on funds, got a 200$ Very Difficult mission in India, which also happens to have max panic. I've finished Very Difficult missions before, come at me. My team is well geared up and I travel to Mumbai. There's a burning building, mission is about rescuing citizens. All of a sudden, 13 chryssalids jump out of the windows. Yeah, I can do it! Two zombies, three zombies, four zombies. Err..I can do it, maybe. First shot, missed. Second shot, missed. Goodbye team, goodbye Captain Moreno, you were the bollocks

FUCK this game

time to start again for the seventh time

epmode

...and yet I'm on my 5th playthrough still enjoying it.

I've replayed linear adventure games and enjoyed them but XCOM can still use procedurally-generated levels. I'm surprised it shipped without them, honestly.

I've also noticed that the game pays almost no attention to geographical locatiton, time of day, UFO condition, etc. Sequel pls.

The lack of map variety does become an issue, especially for certain mission types where you constantly see the same or extremely similar maps. And once you've played the game enough, you can tell where the spawn points on certain maps will be, taking away a lot of the suspense.

I've replayed linear adventure games and enjoyed them but XCOM can still use procedurally-generated levels. I'm surprised it shipped without them, honestly.

I'm on my second playthrough, and so far I've had a couple map duplicates, especially in the council missions. It seems there's a certain set of maps the "special" missions pull from and they just reuse those.

On the other hand, I've also run into maps where they start you in different locations, which is pretty cool and also a little disorienting when you think you know the map, and the enemies end up in completely different places due to where you started.

Overall, though, yeah, they should have some randomly generated maps thrown in there for replayability and to make it so you can't start succeeding just by knowing the maps. Also I died a little inside when I ran into a map in the single player that was the exact same as one of the multiplayer maps.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Keep in mind their range for one movement. As long as you stay one movement away from them, they can't hurt you. If they have to move twice (dash) to close distance, they can't attack.

Assaults with shotguns and close quarter combat, backed up with squadsight snipers eat chryssalids for lunch.

cametall

Was plowing through missions until Assault the Base came up. I didn't lose any squad members but came close to losing my boss sniper and support because of those
armored floaters.

Next mission I did I lost my less experienced sniper to the
armored floaters
. Game has given me like 5 heavy squad members a few assault and left me with slim pickins with snipers and support...

The assault reaction shot ability (react when enemy is within 4 squares of the assault) has saved my ass so many times with melee enemies. What sort of composition do people roll with? I usually have 2 assault, 2 support, 1 sniper and 1 heavy.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hit a game-breaking glitch on the 360 version : (

Sniper with Archangel armor and Double Tap was camped out in the sky, but ran out of ammo after the first shot. Can't reload the gun, can't move, can't target the last fucking alien w/ only 2 HP with my pistol, I can only toggle flight on and off.

Is there a way to end a turn without taking an action that I'm just completely unaware of?

Saw this hadn't been answered yet:
there's 2 ways to not take an action, yes. Either hit backspace (no idea what that button is on xbox though), or click the little "X" icon at the bottom left when the soldier is selected. It will say "end turn without taking an action" or sth similar.

Mindlog

Saw this hadn't been answered yet:
there's 2 ways to not take an action, yes. Either hit backspace (no idea what that button is on xbox though), or click the little "X" icon at the bottom left when the soldier is selected. It will say "end turn without taking an action" or sth similar.
Back Button on gamepad.

I got the Xavier achievement. Hard to keep alive, but once you get a nearly full Psi-Squad rolling they are very hard to stop.

It's odd. I have a lot of problems with this game, but it's still my GotY right now. I hope a patch comes out soon so I can start my Ironman runs.

Keep in mind their range for one movement. As long as you stay one movement away from them, they can't hurt you. If they have to move twice (dash) to close distance, they can't attack.

Assaults with shotguns and close quarter combat, backed up with squadsight snipers eat chryssalids for lunch.
Since chrysalids tend to move in clumps, they're also highly vulnerable to explosives.
The assault reaction shot ability (react when enemy is within 4 squares of the assault) has saved my ass so many times with melee enemies. What sort of composition do people roll with? I usually have 2 assault, 2 support, 1 sniper and 1 heavy.
That ability is great. My first playthrough was one of each with one extra sniper and support. This time around it's one of each with an extra heavy and support. I'm addicted to supports. They make for excellent alien catchers thanks to their movement range and bonus equipment slot, and smoke grenades are so good if you get caught with your pants down.

Rockets are so amazing when paired with snipers that I don't think I could ever go back from my 2 heavies, 2 snipers, 1 assault, and 1 support team that took down impossible. Snipers are the most powerful class in the game, and explosive heavies excel at taking down cover and damaging large groups of enemies so an in the zone sniper can clear large groups of enemies at once. I don't really see the use for more than 1 support, 1 scout is sufficient, especially when the assault can scout as well, and 3 medkits per map is enough.

Top Bottom