• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Jintor

Grenades are 100%, but every once in a while, a rocket misfires wildly and fucks you over doggy-style.

I have heard reports of a heavy spinning 180 degrees and rocketing his own team in the face.

Actually, as I noted earlier in the thread, my first rocket launch with the review copy missed and hit the VIP in the tutorial mission and fucked me over instantly.

FtHTiny

Managed to get into a stable overall run on impossible ironman.
All remaining countries covered in satelites. 2 max lvl snipers. 2 max lvl heavies. 10 days to firestorms. Looks like i will beat it with this run which would be very statisfying.

Actually range does matter. You will see aliens move to almost point blank range to shoot at some one in full cover if it's safe to do so. There are aim bonuses associated with extremely close range, but usually it's far too risky to go and do that as the player.

What I meant is it doesn't matter for calculating overall hit percentages except the example of sniper rifles and shotguns.

Let me give you an example:

Colonel sniper with squad sight.

Alien away 15 tiles, partial cover, 100% hit chance.

Alien away 30 tiles, partial cover, 100% hit chance.

I finished my normal ironman run last night, it feels good!

XCOM is probably my favorite game from this year (it's certainly up there) but the amount of bugs on the PS3 version is really inexcusable. I had to hard reset my PS3 five times last night due to the game freezing at various points (usually at the very beginning of a mission). I've seen plenty of other bugs too, ranging from the completely wonky audio on the final cutscene of the game to enemies spawning randomly in the middle of my squad (not dropping, just appearing), to my units falling through the map and getting stuck. The performance of the game definitely got worse as I got farther into it as well.

Oh well, it's still a fantastic game and I had a blast with it, but it really feels like no one bothered play-testing the PS3 version past the first few hours or so.

Anyway, on to crazy story time! I was at the point in the game where I could do the final mission but I decided to do a terror mission first since I still had a unit injured and I wanted to buy some time to heal everyone up. The mission went fairly well until I decided to make a run towards a Sectopod Cannon to finish it off. The Sectopod had 3 health left so I decided to run and gun in with my assault (who also happened to be [end-game spoiler]
my volunteer, and the only psi unit I had
), thinking that there shouldn't be any issues since he has lightning reflexes. He did dodge the reaction shot as expected, but unfortunately running towards the Sectopod had put my directly in front of a van that was on the way there which the reaction shot conveniently nailed (of course, right?).

Little did I know, exploding vans hurt. A lot. The explosion was so violent it threw my unit a few spaces away and created a huge blood stain that followed his path. That part was admittedly pretty cool. Anyway, my unit went from full health (I'm thinking he had 25 or so) to bleeding out with 1. At that point I went into panic mode, and luckily I was able to clear out the remaining units and bring in a support to revive him before he kicked the bucket. Too close for comfort, my friends!

End-game question:
So what happens if you fail the final mission on ironman?

Only 6 to finish!

untitledsex21.png

Also I have no idea why ain't No Cavalry Coming didn't unlock. Does the soldier have to do every single mission?

I thought it was just that he couldn't die.

duckroll

Fuck. Some of the bugs in missions can be SO infuriating. My main assault got a panic attack from a Sectoid Commander, and then she got mindcontrolled the turn after that. I used a disabling shot on her while she was mindcontrolled, and she reloaded the next turn. After that, I found that I could control her again during my turn, but she still had panic mode on. She might or might not also still be "mindcontrolled", because I can only target my own units with her. The panic never wore off either, even after 3-4 turns. I said fuck it, and quit. Not going to continue the mission when it's totally bugged. >_<

Fuck. Some of the bugs in missions can be SO infuriating. My main assault got a panic attack from a Sectoid Commander, and then she got mindcontrolled the turn after that. I used a disabling shot on her while she was mindcontrolled, and she reloaded the next turn. After that, I found that I could control her again during my turn, but she still had panic mode on. She might or might not also still be "mindcontrolled", because I can only target my own units with her. The panic never wore off either, even after 3-4 turns. I said fuck it, and quit. Not going to continue the mission when it's totally bugged. >_<
Tell me about it... My ultimate breakdown moment came about a week ago.

Also, in that post I was wrong about it being the
alien base
mission. It was just a massive ship.

Sotha Sil

Only 6 to finish!

Also I have no idea why ain't No Cavalry Coming didn't unlock. Does the soldier have to do every single mission?

Yeah, I think (s)he has to be part of every single mission.

By the way, I wish I knew how to save all civilians during terror missions. The aliens always target them at some point, even when my squad's in full sight. I guess it's just dumb luck?

He has to participate in every single mission. If he gets injured, you can't do anything until he heals. I did it on my normal run, found it easiest to do with a Sniper class. I had to skip one mission due to him being injured and it was a terror mission: the only country I lost the entire game.

Yeah, I think (s)he has to be part of every single mission.

By the way, I wish I knew how to save all civilians during terror missions. The aliens always target them at some point, even when my squad's in full sight. I guess it's just dumb luck?

Don't need to save them all to get an excellent rating. I think I had 15/18 saved once and got Excellent.

LTWood12

Ok, so.....keep getting my ass handed to me at the first alien base. It's like April 9th. Using 5 squad members-

Support-w/ med kits, Assault Rifle, Body Armor
Assault-Shotgun, Body Armor, nano-fiber vest
Sniper-Sniper rifle, Body Armor, Grenade
Heavy-LMG, RPG, Grenade
Assault-Shotgun, Body Armor, Grendade

I've invested alot of research and resources into facilities and outfitting my interceptors; so admittedly my equipment is a little lacking. I've tried playing super aggressive, and super conservative. But if too many spider dudes show up at once i'm royally fucked.

Tried spreading out at first and got creamed. Seemed to fair a little better sticking together. Any GAF wisdom?

LTWood12

Also, talk about difficulty spike. did a abduction mission right before that was rated *Very Difficult and it was a breeze. Base is the first wall I've hit.

steadfast

Ok, so.....keep getting my ass handed to me at the first alien base. It's like April 9th. Using 5 squad members-

Heavy-LMG, RPG, Grenade

I've invested alot of research and resources into facilities and outfitting my interceptors; so admittedly my equipment is a little lacking. I've tried playing super aggressive, and super conservative. But if too many spider dudes show up at once i'm royally fucked.

Tried spreading out at first and got creamed. Seemed to fair a little better sticking together. Any GAF wisdom?

I would try for laser weapons and at least carapace armor, first.

Nope rockets are 90%.

You can definitely miss with rockets.

Painfully.
Mah gawd this is a lesson to be learned. Nothing like setting up a killshot of three Mutons, only to have the rocket hit my fucking Support medic in a wide arc to the left.

Thankfully, I've taken to repeating the maxim someone suggested in this thread: Dat's XCOM.

Hargenx

Grenades are 100%, but every once in a while, a rocket misfires wildly and fucks you over doggy-style.

I have heard reports of a heavy spinning 180 degrees and rocketing his own team in the face.

Actually, as I noted earlier in the thread, my first rocket launch with the review copy missed and hit the VIP in the tutorial mission and fucked me over instantly.

sv50206f02.jpg

Firebrand

Heavy-LMG, RPG, Grenade

Get better armor if you can, don't recall if I had lasers at that point. Also get a sixth guy. You don't have to go to the alien base the moment it becomes available, if you feel you need better gear.

Chryssalids can be a pain, but if you retreat back a bit when they appear you might be able to pick them off easily with the sniper and your two shotgunners on overwatch at a chokepoint (place them out of view so they can only take shot when the enemy comes up close). Don't recall exactly how chryssalids respond to suppression, but sometimes melee-only enemies will oddly enough stop moving when suppressed or overwatched outside of cover.

Do the progression based achievements track progress among all games? ie, do I have to shoot down 40 UFO's in a single playthrough, or collectively through all my playthroughs?

Heavy-LMG, RPG, Grenade

You definitely want to go in there with carapace armor and beam weapons. I recommend 6 man squad at this point, I have the same squad composition but add an extra heavy and give him a medkit, in case the support goes down. As stated, you can take the time you need to prep for that mission.

Do the progression based achievements track progress among all games? ie, do I have to shoot down 40 UFO's in a single playthrough, or collectively through all my playthroughs?

Unless it specifies to do it in one playthrough, you can do it over multiple games. I got the kill aliens with explosives achievement over two different playthroughs.

I hear people talking about putting off "story missions" and just grinding the side missions to get stronger, but how do you know what's a story mission? I had the council give me a mission with the option of "not now", so I figured it was a story mission and skipped it, but that pissed off a bunch of countries and I didn't see an option to do it afterwards.

Astery

Heavy-LMG, RPG, Grenade

On classic and below, use beam weapons and ideally with carapace armors. 4 people is doable. I would swap nano viber fest for scope, sniper uses scope all the way too.

Grimsen

I hear people talking about putting off "story missions" and just grinding the side missions to get stronger, but how do you know what's a story mission? I had the council give me a mission with the option of "not now", so I figured it was a story mission and skipped it, but that pissed off a bunch of countries and I didn't see an option to do it afterwards.

-''priority'' research, as it drives the story forward;

-Anything that isn't :

counsil mission
alien abduction
UFO landing
UFO Crash
except the obvious purple UFO, it comes back
Terror mission

Firebrand

Your current objective, like "Research this thing" or "Assault that place". If you go to the mission control it'll be in the corner of the screen.

What I meant is it doesn't matter for calculating overall hit percentages except the example of sniper rifles and shotguns.

Let me give you an example:

Colonel sniper with squad sight.

Alien away 15 tiles, partial cover, 100% hit chance.

Alien away 30 tiles, partial cover, 100% hit chance.

Range matters for primary weapons, not sure about pistols but I think they get a bonus like (heavy) rifles.

(Heavy) Rifles: you get an aim bonus when you are closer to a target, starting at a certain distance threshold. So point blank range will benefit these weapons. You don't get an extra penalty for 'long' range.

Shotguns: penalties for 'long' range, probably also bonuses for close range.

Snipers: Gets a penalty for close range. Dunno if you get a long range bonus, but it seems likely.

When can I customize the color of armor? I bought the soldier pack DLC and can't seem to customize the look(color) of my armor.

Go to customize and select Armour Tint. That should be the last option.

-''priority'' research, as it drives the story forward;

-Anything that isn't :

counsil mission
alien abduction
UFO landing
UFO Crash
except the obvious purple UFO, it comes back
Terror mission

Your current objective, like "Research this thing" or "Assault that place". If you go to the mission control it'll be in the corner of the screen.

Ah, very good. My current objective is
Capture live Alien
, so as long as I don't achieve that it won't drive the story forward, and presumable make me face harder enemies.

PS3 version you fight a war on Xrays AND bugs.

No other platform gets this exciting difficulty mode!

Beserker SPAWNED a few tiles behind a bunch of my soliders on Classic Ironman. It didn't roam, I had the area behind me cleared. No, I discovered the group of two Mutons and a Beserker but it decided that spawning behind me was a fair thing to happen.

I'm pretty confident I can beat the game on Classic Ironman mode against the Xrays. I'm pretty sure I can't beat bugs+Xrays.

This is after all the previous bugs I've posted.

Sigh.

McNum

Ah, very good. My current objective is
Capture live Alien
, so as long as I don't achieve that it won't drive the story forward, and presumable make me face harder enemies.
That's not how it works. Only two enemy types are locked behind story missions. And Mutons get a bigger gun, too. Plus, you really should capture some live aliens, nearly all of them give a research bonus. Grab a Sectoid and all your laser tech takes half the time, for instance.

You will face the more powerful aliens with only time progressing. Only the
Sectoid Commanders and Etherals
are story locked.

I though that if I bought the soldier pack shit off of steam I'd get access. Did I seriously waste $5 on extra colors and what not and cant have access to them?

It's there, in the unit customization menu the helmets are under the hair cuts and the the very bottom has a color and armour deco

Grimsen

That's not how it works. Only two enemy types are locked behind story missions. And Mutons get a bigger gun, too. Plus, you really should capture some live aliens, nearly all of them give a research bonus. Grab a Sectoid and all your laser tech takes half the time, for instance.

You will face the more powerful aliens with only time progressing. Only the
Sectoid Commanders and Etherals
are story locked.

I've been putting off the alien base for awhile now on Classic Ironman, and large UFOs have Outisders instead of Sectoid Commanders/Ethereals around the bridge, it's pretty funny. I'm in Titan/Archangel with plasma rifles, and the biggest enemies are berserkers and Cyberdisks, so I've finally got ahold of this playthrough.

I haven't met heavy Mutons or Sectopods either, Can anyone confirm that they aren't locked behind the alien base msision?

We need a spoiler thread.

PS3 version you fight a war on Xrays AND bugs.

No other platform gets this exciting difficulty mode!

Beserker SPAWNED a few tiles behind a bunch of my soliders on Classic Ironman. It didn't roam, I had the area behind me cleared. No, I discovered the group of two Mutons and a Beserker but it decided that spawning behind me was a fair thing to happen.

I'm pretty confident I can beat the game on Classic Ironman mode against the Xrays. I'm pretty sure I can't beat bugs+Xrays.

This is after all the previous bugs I've posted.

Sigh.

I've had that happen on the PC version as well.

I'm convinced not all monsters actually "walk" around the map, instead they just spawn in different places until you find them, except some times, they spawn near you.

You should have it. Does DLC1 show up under "DLC" if you rightclick -> Properties?

Yeah it showed up in the DLC properties. I guess I should have restarted my game. Will check when I get home. Thanks for clearing it up.
It's there, in the unit customization menu the helmets are under the hair cuts and the the very bottom has a color and armour deco
MickeyKnow II is still going strong, he Barely squeaked out a victory last night.

Wow, fucking wow. Completely decimated for a 3rd straight mission. Those fucking Thin Men, what I'm I even supposed to do? 9 crit damage through a half shield. Every. Fucking. Time!

edit: Ugh. End of month 2- 6 countries have bailed, I have 4 troops left, and a whopping $90 to spend.

Grimsen

-Full cover whenever possible.
-Blow them up. Explosives in early game are sooo useful
-lure aliens back into killzones. If you can make them use both actions to get there, even better.

Top Bottom