• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

TTG

BTW has anyone used a totally upgraded SHIV?? I wonder how good they are in late game... never really used them myself.

Yea, but I never got to use it, permanently borked because of bugs. I did use an alloy shiv with plasma for a while though(the best one flies around). I really like them, it's a breath of fresh air in terms of tactics and they are legitimately useful. They have a ton of range and firepower and they're expendable. The perfect scout. A veteran soldier with end game armor is gonna do more damage, but a lot of that is because those guys get the ability to fire twice.

Speaking of gadgets, anyone ever capture a drone via the foundry project? I had the ability, but it was late in the game and I never got to use it. Can they heal your guys? If it's just the equivalent of mind controlling a drone, that kind of sucks.

Can you still win "Ain't No Cavalry Comin'" if you pass on a mission because a soldier is wounded?

I don't mean the soldier pass on it, I mean ignore missions completely until the soldier is wounded. My 2 soldiers that did all missions so far got wounded and didn't recover in time for a UFO crash site.

Those people are expendable and army can handle them. I was supposed only to save a high value personnel for the council.
What about terror missions?
But those would just be ordinary people, not the VIP you are there to protect.
If normal people don't matter, then why are we bothering to defend Earth in the first place? To shoot aliens with neat science guns? Then we should still be cleaning up after extracting the VIP.

Aaron

If normal people don't matter, then why are we bothering to defend Earth in the first place? To shoot aliens with neat science guns? Then we should still be cleaning up after extracting the VIP.
You've got to pick your battles. Why don't you have three skyrangers to send out when there are three simultaneous attacks then? You can't save everyone.

TTG

Can you still win "Ain't No Cavalry Comin'" if you pass on a mission because a soldier is wounded?

I don't mean the soldier pass on it, I mean ignore missions completely until the soldier is wounded. My 2 soldiers that did all missions so far got wounded and didn't recover in time for a UFO crash site.

I don't know, but that achievement should have been handled differently. Something like, "take a starting soldier through at least 30 missions without losing" or "along for every mission he/she is available for, to the end".

I was looking through the list after my first run and that was annoying. Along with, win from all 5 continents and cure disease 5 times. That's just odd. I might clearing out a UFO site with just one guy though. I wonder if that's easier to do early or late in a game.

duckroll

I really don't see the issue with cleaning up after VIPs are extracted. It only makes sense to me. It seems like a bad idea to go back into the ship and take off when there are still hostile forces on the ground. Lots of bad things could happen, and your plane could get shot down too. Tactically, unless you're totally overwhelmed, you always want to clear the area before you complete an extraction!

Aaron

I really don't see the issue with cleaning up after VIPs are extracted. It only makes sense to me. It seems like a bad idea to go back into the ship and take off when there are still hostile forces on the ground. Lots of bad things could happen, and your plane could get shot down too. Tactically, unless you're totally overwhelmed, you always want to clear the area before you complete an extraction!
There are always more saucers and other threats. I think that with a VIP you want to get his ass to safety before more and more enemies show up. It would make a little more sense, but would be a very bad idea from a gameplay pov, that if this guy is so important the aliens would keep showing up to take him down.

Since you try to protect your own guys and wipe out all aliens in every other mission, VIP doesn't feel any different than anything else. Not having to wipe out all the aliens would change it up at least a little.

demidar

Terrible level control in action.

76A390A3AF85E49CCE95E91B55AAEDF6A7FCC7F6
Ground level

One level above

Note that there's a second level that is hidden underneath the ceiling with no clear way to see it. Sorry for the size.

duckroll

Terrible level control in action.

Ground level

One level above

Note that there's a second level that is hidden underneath the ceiling with no clear way to see it. Sorry for the size.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Those stages give me nightmares. Seriously, so fucking awful. That example isn't even the worst I've experienced in the game. Firaxis should really work to address these issues. >_<

You've got to pick your battles. Why don't you have three skyrangers to send out when there are three simultaneous attacks then? You can't save everyone.

Well actually this is kinda stupid - I had two-three teams in diffrent bases in previous games.

demidar

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Those stages give me nightmares. Seriously, so fucking awful. That example isn't even the worst I've experienced in the game. Firaxis should really work to address these issues. >_<

Not the worst?! The only levels that is could possibly be worse are those long, rectangular landed UFOs with a climbable roof and a completely open entrance way with nary a barricade in between.

TheKurgan

I am absolutely loving this game. Just taking it easy on my first play through on normal, finishing all my mission with an excellent rating and usually get a monthly rating of A or B. But I think I made a fatal mistake, I only have 2 satellites (US and Europe) and I am starting to lose countries every 2-3 weeks. I am scrambling to get more satellites up, but I went with a Sat Nexus which took a bunch of time and now I am waiting for my satellites to finish.

Is it too late for me, should i just start over and pump out 4+ satellites ASAP?

duckroll

Not the worst?! The only levels that is could possibly be worse are those long, rectangular landed UFOs with a climbable roof and a completely open entrance way with nary a barricade in between.

I did a mission which has a larger building than the one those screens. Inside the building there's a staircase leading upstairs, but the second floor is partly destroyed, so when you're looking at it sometimes the parts which are destroyed blend in with the first floor. There's also a roof, but it's a full flat roof (there were even civilians on it in the Terror mission!) and not a sloped one. So there are 3 full floors for the building (F1, F2, Roof) and it's impossible to see ANYTHING once you move the camera indoors. You can see outlines of civilians all over and it's impossible to tell which floor they are really on until you look really closely. Horrific.

Aaron

I have problem selecting ground at higher elevation in wilderness missions, even when there's nothing else on the same spot to confuse it.

demidar

I did a mission which has a larger building than the one those screens. Inside the building there's a staircase leading upstairs, but the second floor is partly destroyed, so when you're looking at it sometimes the parts which are destroyed blend in with the first floor. There's also a roof, but it's a full flat roof (there were even civilians on it in the Terror mission!) and not a sloped one. So there are 3 full floors for the building (F1, F2, Roof) and it's impossible to see ANYTHING once you move the camera indoors. You can see outlines of civilians all over and it's impossible to tell which floor they are really on until you look really closely. Horrific.

Terror mission? I think I know that one, does it have a staircase that bends at a 90 degree angle, an open-air restaurant on the second floor and a library on the first?

duckroll

Terror mission? I think I know that one, does it have a staircase that bends at a 90 degree angle, an open-air restaurant on the second floor and a library on the first?

Beats me. I couldn't make out enough to actually identify the functions of the areas lol. The area on the right side of the building through a normal door might have been a library though. Or maybe it was just a few bookcases.

xenist

And now I lost another guy because the game decided that instead of being in an elevated position with half cover I wanted him a level below with his ass exposed to two aliens.

Why do I love this game so much?

vidcons

Banned
I fucking hate the HUD. Instead of putting all those commands on the field of battle why not just pick a spot on the screen for them to clump up or something. I couldn't throw a grenade in a spot because the HUD was in the way so I move the camera a bit and then my grenade flies off in the wrong direction and blows up a car that blows up a teammate.

Game infuriates me but Normal is much more tolerable on the "bullshit" meter.

Any word on a map maker getting released? I heard rumors but beginning to expect them trying to horde maps for DLC purposes. Which is fucking annoying since 5 of them are like, assault the same gas station from the same side with different parked car layouts.

I fucking hate the HUD. Instead of putting all those commands on the field of battle why not just pick a spot on the screen for them to clump up or something. I couldn't throw a grenade in a spot because the HUD was in the way so I move the camera a bit and then my grenade flies off in the wrong direction and blows up a car that blows up a teammate.

Game infuriates me but Normal is much more tolerable on the "bullshit" meter.

Any word on a map maker getting released? I heard rumors but beginning to expect them trying to horde maps for DLC purposes. Which is fucking annoying since 5 of them are like, assault the same gas station from the same side with different parked car layouts.

I think it controls great with a controller. The only problem is you can't rotate the camera when you're in the action menu. So if you want to throw a grenade but you can't tell exactly where it's going to land, you have to exit the action menu, rotate the camera, then go back into the menu.

mrgone

I'm trying to complete a landed cargo ship mission and that enemy spawn bug is demolishing me. Doing nothing but moving up to the first bit of sparse cover inside the ship and the game's decided that 2 sectoid commanders, 6 heavy floaters, and a goddamned cyberdisk with its drones is what's I'm going to fight, no matter where they're supposed to be on the map at the time. Just plunking them all right down in the middle of things after the first round of shots. Second try it again scooped up three of the floaters and the cyberdisk and repositioned them way out of their movement range, behind what was left of my cover line right next to my sniper.

I found I can move around the edges of the ship up onto the roof without triggering anything, but then it's an overlong guerrilla slog of peeking over the edge and withdrawing to cover to bait the scattering of floaters from their non-buggy patrol positions. And on top of that I've spotted six mutons and two more sectoids in the mid-section of the ship. This fucking game.

demidar

A major died because I missed 2 shots at 80%. The chance of that happening is 4%. Sometimes I question how random this game is.

Yeah, the worst has to be the later/bigger alien vessels, drove me crazy. So much that I plugged in a 360 controller to mitigate the bullshit. I would like to see the k/m UI get an overhaul sooner rather than later.

ElFly

How many civilians out of 17 can i save without the council busting my balls?

I think I once saved 15 out of 18 and the council still said excellent -which gave me the cheevo for getting all excellents in a terror mission-.

So probably 14 or 15.

e:misread.

Still important I guess.

RM8

Rofl at the Spanish voice acting. This is why I always play games on English/Japanese even if I'm not a native speaker.

I missed a 90% stun earlier on an Outsider on my new Classic Ironman playthrough.

Rest in peace to the valiant support who died for the cause.

mewarmo990

Neo Member
BTW has anyone used a totally upgraded SHIV?? I wonder how good they are in late game... never really used them myself.

SHIVs are useful, but the downside is that you miss a chance to level someone up. Their weapon is closest to the light MGs used by the Heavy class, but with better aim. Suppression is useful, too. They are very powerful once upgraded to plasma.

Probably the best thing about SHIVs is that they can't be mind-controlled.

Rufus

And it doesn't sting as much when they get destroyed. They are buggy though, which is something to look out for if you're strapped for cash.

Wait, so rookies starting with 6HP on Classic is a bug?

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?151051-6-HP-Rookies-On-classic-ironman

Somebody here said that rookies you hire were supposed to start with 6. Well this kind of cheapens the experience, now it feels like I'm cheating. :(
I don't see any official there who confirms it, so they know about as much as we do. Some have speculated that it might be a reference to a difficulty bug in the original that would revert the game to 'easy'.

demidar

Wait, so rookies starting with 6HP on Classic is a bug?

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?151051-6-HP-Rookies-On-classic-ironman

Somebody here said that rookies you hire were supposed to start with 6. Well this kind of cheapens the experience, now it feels like I'm cheating. :(

That would make the game near impossible without a massive string of luck. The extra 2 health helps massively with not getting one-shotted and digging yourself out of the brutal early-game.

I'm thinking more and more that one of the big keys to the tactical layer on classic is the use of the AI's limited vision. I'm finding that when I have some High cover that blocks vision, I'll sneak a guy, and the AI often won't engage that guy/ pretends it doesn't exist, so I can often get easy flanks/overwatch shots. I can often put a guy on the side of a big truck, peek out, and if enemies come to say hi, I'll retreat where they can't see me, and often they'll ignore that unit entirely, giving me some easy flanks, or I can pull them back far enough to run into an overwatch cluster fuck.

Top Bottom