• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just realized that yes, there actually is a pipe that I can use to climb to the roof on the map I'm playing. That made flanking a helluva lot easier. Confined alleyway of death from above FTW.

Mupod

Just realized that yes, there actually is a pipe that I can use to climb to the roof on the map I'm playing. That made flanking a helluva lot easier. Confined alleyway of death from above FTW.

I tried to do this on a council mission once.

It dropped two Thin Men on overwatch right next to my sniper...he made it out the next turn with 1 hp, at least. But come on, what the hell do you do about that short of keeping an Assault around to be a bodyguard? Stuff like that is why I tend to avoid crazy tactics. Another reason I wanna do a non-ironman run soon.

Wow, fucking wow. Completely decimated for a 3rd straight mission. Those fucking Thin Men, what I'm I even supposed to do? 9 crit damage through a half shield. Every. Fucking. Time!

edit: Ugh. End of month 2- 6 countries have bailed, I have 4 troops left, and a whopping $90 to spend.

Be smart with Hunker down, if you hunker down you can't be critted, so a moderately upgraded troop can survive a single thin man.

I've been putting off the alien base for awhile now on Classic Ironman, and large UFOs have Outisders instead of Sectoid Commanders/Ethereals around the bridge, it's pretty funny. I'm in Titan/Archangel with plasma rifles, and the biggest enemies are berserkers and Cyberdisks, so I've finally got ahold of this playthrough.

I haven't met heavy Mutons or Sectopods either, Can anyone confirm that they aren't locked behind the alien base msision?

We need a spoiler thread.

I don't belive they are, the first time I met them was actually on the alien base mission.

OMG. I take 2 moves into a map- 2 thin man spawn. I move a unit 1 step to the corner of a small building to flank- 3 floaters spawn, I move another unit 1 step to get out of flank- 3 more more floaters appear, I proceed to miss 3 50% shots on 1 floater that has us flanked, all miss. I use my last unit with a 100% chance to hit it- it only does 2 damage. Aliens turn- dead. Everyone fucking dead. :\

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
OMG. I take 2 moves into a map- 2 thin man spawn. I move a unit 1 step to the corner of a small building to flank- 3 floaters spawn, I move another unit 1 step to get out of flank- 3 more more floaters appear, I proceed to miss 3 50% shots on 1 floater that has us flanked, all miss. I use my last unit with a 100% chance to hit it- it only does 2 damage. Aliens turn- dead. Everyone fucking dead. :\
Yeah, on small maps if I know there's a good chance a flanking attempt will aggro more spawns, I just retreat to a safer spot.

Yeah, on small maps if I know there's a good chance a flanking attempt will aggro more spawns, I just retreat to a safer spot.

I tend to be really, really agressive with explosives on small maps, Flanking is a big risk on those little maps. Smoke grenades, battle scanners, telekentic shields and ghost armor become pretty damn key here later on.

Then again, on some of those little maps, even if I don't flank, I'll immediately also get 3- patrols that stumble in on me.

Whelp, that's that. My first attempt at Classic Ironman has come to laughably quick end.

sNvJx.jpg

OUQcw.jpg

pringles

After about 6-7 early restarts cause of bad starts, I'm finally doing well on Classic Ironman. I'm right before the Alien Base assault, all countries still in, panic levels under control, and I haven't lost many soldiers.

Only problem is I've got a shitty soldier selection. 2 snipers (one really good squadsight guy) and 2 assaults, the rest are rookies. I had 2 Heavies but lost 'em both on the same mission :-/ Only had 1 support and she died too.. gotta train some rookies but afraid to do so..

My Classic Ironman run is going a lot better. Well the combat side at least. After a couple of messy missions and two wipes, no one has died so far. I got a nice selection of troops and everyone is ready for duty.

On the strategy side, it seems to be pretty bad atm. China, India and Australia have withdrawn, Germany and Egypt are at full panic. Europe, South America and Mexico are all in the danger zone.
But I have access to the enemy base. My carapace armour and OTS will be done 3 days before the next council report. I got a nice amount of cash due to some well timed UFO visits. So I can assault the base with armour, a bigger squad and better equipment. And if I win that, I'll be in a much better situation.
Also just got a Council mission that'll give me money and panic reduction. I'm thinking of taking it. But if I fail it and lose a lot of soldiers, I'm fucked.

What should I do?

Whelp, that's that. My first attempt at Classic Ironman has come to laughably quick end.

sNvJx.jpg

OUQcw.jpg

Wow. Well if you are going to fail, you might as well fail spectacularly.

McNum

sNvJx.jpg
Didn't want to scare the Canadians too much? I'm impressed, really. What happened that made it escalate that fast? I notice you don't have any satellites up. UFO shot them down?

EDIT: That sounded a bit harsh, but I am genuinely curious. The old game could escalate in a bad direction pretty fast, so I'm wondering how you made this one do it.

Didn't want to scare the Canadians too much? I'm impressed, really. What happened that made it escalate that fast? I notice you don't have any satellites up. UFO shot them down?

EDIT: That sounded a bit harsh, but I am genuinely curious. The old game could escalate in a bad direction pretty fast, so I'm wondering how you made this one do it.

I had 2 satellites up, the original over US and one over Russia. I guess the Russian one disappeared when they left, and the USA one was shot down after I moved the interceptor there to aid Europe, after the interceptor there was badly damaged. I meant to have more up but by the time I got the workshop up, and the power generator, and the uplink up, I didn't have enough money to buy satellites. Didn't help that I was got absolutely thrashed in the last 4 or 5 missions I did, so I wasn't earning money or units.

Classic Ironman, finally decided to do the
Alien Base
in October. They throw everything at me except Elite Mutons, I kill everything. Only one guy got shot for measly 10HP.

Final room, let's do it!

He's there, quickly, rush and stun him!

Ok, he
MC'ed
one of ours, no biggie, everyone is at full health.

Heavy shots, 4HP left.

NOW!

He panics another Heavy, he shots back at him. Dead.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

What's the general consensus on how to start a game on Classic?

I know to build two sats right off the bat... but in terms of research, engineers, etc. what is the optimal way to get going or stay ahead of the curve?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just got to the
Alien Base
mission. Such a good game, buggy but so good.

Bob White

OK, just beat it. Wonderful game. Never played anything like it. So, I have to ask, what other games are out that come close to this? The mix of turn based action and resource management was just awesome.

Realyn

I had that but began slipping slowly, I think I prioritize too many engineers.

Do you straight line it to laser weapons?

Hmm not really, much more for armor and the officer training school so I can bring a rookie with me to capture me some alien weapons.

OK, just beat it. Wonderful game. Never played anything like it. So, I have to ask, what other games are out that come close to this? The mix of turn based action and resource management was just awesome.
have you played civ5?

Bob White

Never played any of them, pretty new to pc gaming. Is it good? Will it fill the gap in my heart that beating xcom has left? I loved ages of empire 1 way back when though.

Realyn

Never played any of them, pretty new to pc gaming. Is it good? Will it fill the gap in my heart that beating xcom has left? I loved ages of empire 1 way back when though.

Well, it certainly won't get your heart beating. It is rather slow paced compared to xcom.

I did it a LP once for a fanforum, have a look if you want to. Sadly no commentary, sorry - but should give you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OetvsuTJbE&list=PLF9ACC30C7ADF2A9B&feature=mh_lolz

Firebrand

If you have access to a PS3, check out Valkyria Chronicles. It's more linear in its mission structure but you do get to mess around with squad selection, weapon upgrades etc between missions.

TTG

I'm gonna implement a new strategy next time I play classic ironman. For the first 3 missions, I send in all rookies. Since we know it's just sectoids, might as well level up as many guys as possible.

r1chard

what is this red Muton who just mauled my top notch squad?

I've never actually allowed one of those things to attack my squad. I still wonder what their attack is.

Don't spoil it - one of these days one of those suckers is going to be left standing long enough to show me ;-)

Unless I am interpreting it incorrectly that chart for flanking rules isn't entirely accurate.

C5E135285F7E679CE08685B5D0811A40CE96C117

This should absolutely be a flanking shot, the soldier steps out of cover to shoot the sectoid. But it seems like it still gets the half cover bonus.

Any impossible Ironman tips? I'm getting wrecked, at least 2 deaths per mission, most of the time more.

Overwatch traps and getting lucky with maps and promotions in the first month or so+being very skilled with the game.

You can't roll up an Impossible Ironman game like you can a Civ 5 Deity game and expect to win or be competitive every time. You need luck to carry you on top of tight play.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fuuuuuucking Thin Men on classic ironman, leaped up on a roof and one shot crit my sniper, then later jumped off a building to kill my VIP.

I need to Hunker Down more. I also need to stop putting snipers on roofs because it always ends terribly for me.

Realyn

Overwatch traps and getting lucky with maps and promotions in the first month or so+being very skilled with the game.

You can't roll up an Impossible Ironman game like you can a Civ 5 Deity game and expect to win or be competitive every time. You need luck to carry you on top of tight play.

Yeah that's still my major problem with Xcom on Impossible. Just like Classic, aim for alot Sats early and hope you get lucky playing missions. And with lucky I mean playing perfectly and hitting the important shots.

That's pretty much it ... :(

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unless I am interpreting it incorrectly that chart for flanking rules isn't entirely accurate.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576719343057746379/C5E135285F7E679CE08685B5D0811A40CE96C117/[img]

This should absolutely be a flanking shot, the soldier steps out of cover to shoot the sectoid. But it seems like it still gets the half cover bonus.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps full cover from the edge of a car is not the same as full cover from the edge of a building.

I think it's because you're behind the perpendicular line of cover. It doesn't matter it your guys pops out during the animation, the alien is still considered behind cover from that angle.

D1Lii.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think it's because you're behind the perpendicular line of cover. It doesn't matter it your guys pops out during the animation, the alien is still considered behind cover from that angle.

D1Lii.jpg

Nah, if that was you peeking around the corner of a building, that sectoid would have been totally flanked.

Rufus

Still bullshit. It should be flanked.
Echoing that.

Yeah that's still my major problem with Xcom on Impossible. Just like Classic, aim for alot Sats early and hope you get lucky playing missions. And with lucky I mean playing perfectly and hitting the important shots.

I'd do it if there were no animations whatsoever. Just super-snappy 2D. The eye-candy (if you can call it that) makes it laborious and I think hearing Dr. Vahlen be excited for the umpteenth time at discovering aliens or nag me about blowing aliens up is what drives me more insane than actually losing.

commissar

Perhaps I missed something in the tutorial, but as far as I could tell they never bother to explain what a red shield or yellow shield means.
I understand now that red means in direct line of fire. Yellow is still a mystery.

The core game is lots of fun, but it really feels unfinished to me.

Miletius

Just trying to get over the hump of the first month or two now. I've made it 4 missions in, but then a council mission wrecked my corporal sniper/corporal assault, and my heavy and other assault died in the next mission, game over after that.

Rufus

Perhaps I missed something in the tutorial, but as far as I could tell they never bother to explain what a red shield or yellow shield means.
I understand now that red means in direct line of fire. Yellow is still a mystery.

The core game is lots of fun, but it really feels unfinished to me.
Yellow means you are flanking or are being flanked.

Echoing that.

I'd do it if there were no animations whatsoever. Just super-snappy 2D. The eye-candy (if you can call it that) makes it laborious and I think hearing Dr. Vahlen be excited for the umpteenth time at discovering aliens or nag me about blowing aliens up is what drives me more insane than actually losing.
I hate how the game takes away control from you when dialogue is playing. It's a strategy game, I can do stuff while people are talking, let me keep control.

Top Bottom