• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Danj

Click down on the left stick while aiming at the enemy to see the breakdown of why your percent chance to hit is what it is. You're right about the visuals though, it's not at all obvious for a beginner and sometimes what you see on screen vs the percentage of the actual shot are inconsistent period. Wait 'till you magically shoot, or get shot at, through a wall... good times.

Is there an equivalent control for the PC version?

JJD

So I tried the demo for this game expecting it to play like Starcraft or something, but it's apparently a turn based war strategy game?

I am really looking for some sort of sim management game but I cant at all find a proper forum to ask advice. Like, I want something like Sim City or Civilization so bad at the moment.

That said, I enjoyed the demo, but I already have Valkyria Chronicles, and if its the same genre, as it seems, I should probably lay off XCOM until I beat that first. Still, I like this genre and want to support it, and I enjoyed the challenge/mental engagement the genre offers

Should I however, go for Civilization instead? Is Civilization more like what Im looking for? I know it's turn based and all that, but it's also more like a god/management game, right? (Talking Civ Rev for Consoles).

Anyways, hope u guys have fun with this game, please guide me if you can

Edit: Oh, multiplayer! How strong is the community on PS3?

Also, for those that played VC, how do you like XCOM in comparison? I enjoyed XCOM's demo a lot, and have lost the interest to finish VC, even though I'd like to.

Valkyria and Xcom share the same genre, but they are completely different beasts.

Both games are great, and if you have the slightest interest in strategy games you can't miss Xcom. I started playing it yesterday around midnight and when I stopped it was around 6:30AM. I just couldn't stop.

It is that good. So glad I bought this.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Click down on the left stick while aiming at the enemy to see the breakdown of why your percent chance to hit is what it is. You're right about the visuals though, it's not at all obvious for a beginner and sometimes what you see on screen vs the percentage of the actual shot are inconsistent period. Wait 'till you magically shoot, or get shot at, through a wall... good times.

Oh man, what a hot tip. I wish they would advertise that "push the left stick for info" feature a little harder. I can't wait to go find out the science behind why I never hit any god damned thing.

^Thanks for the responses, guys.

Is there only SP campaign and MP? Like, can you do a mode where you start off "fresh". What I mean is, games like Sims, Sim City, and Civ have you start off with a neutral map of some kind, and then you build up, is this game similar, or is it a bunch of scenarios? Does DLC add more?

I am really torn between choosing those sim/god management games and now XCOM, a demo of which I really enjoyed. I understand that it's a tactical turn based action (RPG?) and I really want it, but I think it might be best to wait for a pricedrop.

One thing that really bothered me about Valkyria Chronicles was that the AI Just was not smart. How is the AI in this? How long does it take to play a MP session, and is there a community on PSN that is dedicated to it? Is it as strong as the SP, I hear it's deathmatch only

Sorry for the annoying questions, thanks in advance

McNum

The game start out fairly open. XCOM is founded, you're the boss. Play a mission to teach you how things work, or just to get you some alien corpses to start off with if you play without the tutorial, and then you place your base on one of several continents.

From there the game starts proper. You build stuff, respond to alien attacks, build up air coverage, shoot down UFOs and raid them. Every game is different, so it won't be the exact same steps to win every time. There is a handful of story missions and objectives you'll have to hit to get to the win condition, though.

The aliens aren't idiots in the game. Okay, on Easy, they are. On Normal they're smarter and on Classic and Impossible they go all out in trying to make you lose. They will try to flank your men and attack the countries that are closest to leaving XCOM due to high panic.

Something that's not inherently apparent from the demo or even the full game at first is that the aliens have their own timetable. If you don't tech up fast enough, the aliens will start sending in Cyberdisks and Mutons before you've graduated beyond ballistic weapons. Same with UFO classes. Your basic Interceptor with Avalanche Missiles is a fine match for Scout UFOs, but when the bigger ones come a-flying, you'll want something better.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Something that's not inherently apparent from the demo or even the full game at first is that the aliens have their own timetable. If you don't tech up fast enough, the aliens will start sending in Cyberdisks and Mutons before you've graduated beyond ballistic weapons. Same with UFO classes. Your basic Interceptor with Avalanche Missiles is a fine match for Scout UFOs, but when the bigger ones come a-flying, you'll want something better.
Wow, really? I was fighting both mutons and cyberdisks for at least a month and a half before I finally upgraded to laser weapons. And by the time I made that upgrade, plasma weapons had just come available, lol. My second playthrough is going to be a lot less stressful. I haven't even looked at the achievements list, either. I like this game enough to actually go out of my way to get some of the achievements, heh.

McNum

Wow, really? I was fighting both mutons and cyberdisks for at least a month and a half before I finally upgraded to laser weapons. And by the time I made that upgrade, plasma weapons had just come available, lol. My second playthrough is going to be a lot less stressful. I haven't even looked at the achievements list, either. I like this game enough to actually go out of my way to get some of the achievements, heh.
Generally the game adds one or two new alien types each month. When you know it, it's actually kind of obvious that it happens. There are two exceptions to this rule, both are triggered through story missions. Either you know what two kinds of aliens I'm thinking of, or you'll find out.

daw840

Man. I started my first normal ironman run and it went horribly. Just started the second one and it seems to be going much better. No deaths yet. I'm pouring everything I can into satellites at first. And I have an interceptor on all four continents. I hope this goes better. Lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
How many missions/how long does it take to beat the campaign? Is MP good, or barebones?

Completely depends on you. If you are good enough you can keep the campaign going for a really long time. To get all the techs researched, build everything and fill out your base you are looking at probably and easy 30 hours of gameplay. If you go through on Classic Ironman mode, you could get a lot more time.

Multiplayer is barebones, but still good.

I've noticed way too many 80%-90% shots missing, its infuriating especially on a hard mission I think oh I can just run up to him and take the shot and teh shot misses from three spaces away with a shotgun....REALLY!? REALLY!?

McNum

How many missions/how long does it take to beat the campaign? Is MP good, or barebones?
I'd say you're looking at 30-40ish missions to win the game. Some are quick, some may take an hour or more. And that's IF you win, of course. Playing 20+ hours only to end with the Defeat screen is entirely possible. Especially on Classic and Impossible.

TTG

Unless you drag it out, you'll probably be at 35 missions or so. Don't know what that information is gonna do for you without having actually played the game.

The point is, it's one of the best paced games I've played in a long time. It never goes stale because the enemies, your gear and your soldiers ramp up. These appreciably change the tactics of the missions, it's not just a matter of shooting a stronger guy with the bigger weapon. The game is also built for multiple playthroughs, which means there are more levels than you'll see on the first go around as well as abilities/tech you won't get to try. Again, this also keeps the core gameplay fresh. Finally, the decision to advance the main story missions are always on the player, so you can control that as well.

If there was some magical stat tracking for this stuff, I would bet XCOM gets replayed more times, per player, than just about anything else out there with a comparable length for the campaign.

ShaneB

Just had my first mission where my team got decimated and I lost 3 good soldiers :(

Kinda thinking about just going to Ironman mode, since I hate the idea of reloading a save anyway. I want to live with my choices.

Nerix

My only missing field of research is the interrogation of the floater (normal one, not heavy).

Right now I am on a normal difficulty playthrough, just before activating the Gollop-Chamber. Is there any chance to meet a standard floater at this stage of the game?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
My only missing field of research is the interrogation of the floater (normal one, not heavy).

Right now I am on a normal difficulty playthrough, just before activating the Gollop-Chamber. Is there any chance to meet a standard floater at this stage of the game?

Nope, better luck next game. Not even kidding, I sat there shooting down UFOs for hours to try and get one and they just don't show up anymore.

Nerix

Nope, better luck next game. Not even kidding, I sat there shooting down UFOs for hours to try and get one and they just don't show up anymore.
Ah, that sucks... I would have tried the same strategy, thx for the info...

EDIT: at least for normal difficulty, you can still find standard floaters just before acitvating the gollop chamber. Just shooted down a barge with a strange mix of enemies: floaters, sectoids, ethereal, muton beserker/elite

AEREC

Just had my first mission where my team got decimated and I lost 3 good soldiers :(

Kinda thinking about just going to Ironman mode, since I hate the idea of reloading a save anyway. I want to live with my choices.

Only way to play IMO...Im new to the game, but Ironman mode is really what made me want it.

I've noticed way too many 80%-90% shots missing, its infuriating especially on a hard mission I think oh I can just run up to him and take the shot and teh shot misses from three spaces away with a shotgun....REALLY!? REALLY!?

That's xcom baby!

80% shots miss 1/5 times, 90% shots miss 1/10, exactly like they are supposed to ;). I've missed with two rockets in a row before, the chance of that happening? 1/100 that sucked some donkayyyy balls.

In Classic Ironman, Always have a backup plan. In Normal and Easy the game actually fudges the stats in your favor so that's less important.

Nerix

That's xcom baby!

80% shots miss 1/5 times, 90% shots miss 1/10, exactly like they are supposed to ;). I've missed with two rockets in a row before, the chance of that happening? 1/100 that sucked some donkayyyy balls.

In Classic Ironman, Always have a backup plan. In Normal and Easy the game actually fudges the stats in your favor so that's less important.
Recognised one strange thing: when you reload the game after a shot missed or one of your soldiers died, and you try to do the same shot, the result will be exactly the same (even if you retry it several times). Also the damage will stay the same.

The question is, when does the game calculate the shots etc.?

ShaneB

Only way to play IMO...Im new to the game, but Ironman mode is really what made me want it.

Heh... I think I'll stick with my normal playthrough for my first time, but I won't resort to any save reloading mid missions or anything like that.

I'm already thinking about my next playthrough for classic ironman.

A question as well about multiplayer, I know it's been said it's barebones, but just how barebones? Has there been any dev talk about updates? I do like the idea of X-com eventually being that sort of go-to multiplayer game I enjoy.

Recognised one strange thing: when you reload the game after a shot missed or one of your soldiers died, and you try to do the same shot, the result will be exactly the same (even if you retry it several times). Also the damage will stay the same.

The question is, when does the game calculate the shots etc.?

You get a single random seed at the start of a round, and all the random numbers proceed from that, Here's an article on it, http://techland.time.com/2012/10/12...metimes-arent-and-you-should-play-on-ironman/

Miletius

Heh... I think I'll stick with my normal playthrough for my first time, but I won't resort to any save reloading mid missions or anything like that.

I'm already thinking about my next playthrough for classic ironman.

A question as well about multiplayer, I know it's been said it's barebones, but just how barebones? Has there been any dev talk about updates? I do like the idea of X-com eventually being that sort of go-to multiplayer game I enjoy.

I don't think MP has been mentioned as a potential upgrade. It's basically a point based deathmatch system right now, it's fun if you play with people who want to mess around and try different combos.

The MP is pretty much dead, I don't think you can get many games out there anymore.

So, this is likely going to be my Christmas pick up :)

I just want to get balls deep in a strategic/tactical/thoughtful micro-managing game

I am curious, is there any word on DLC support? I know one already released, but we'll be seeing a lot more, right? Lots of potential here

Does anyone have images of all of the customization options that the slingshot DLC has? I'd rather not have the missions and Heavy, because I'd like my game to be more random, but more customization is always nice...

ShaneB

I don't think MP has been mentioned as a potential upgrade. It's basically a point based deathmatch system right now, it's fun if you play with people who want to mess around and try different combos.

The MP is pretty much dead, I don't think you can get many games out there anymore.

Aw man :(

Does anyone have images of all of the customization options that the slingshot DLC has? I'd rather not have the missions and Heavy, because I'd like my game to be more random, but more customization is always nice...

tyRIO.jpg

From Reddit

Quick question:

If one nation has level 5 panic and I choose not to do its abduction mission, will the country leave the council immediately after I finished the abduction mission or it will still stay until end of the month? I still have a satellite to spare but I'm tore between Argentina and Australia :(.

Rufus

No. Only ignoring terror missions will make countries leave immediately. You can agonize over the choice later. That said, it's not always guaranteed that countries with a full panic meter will leave, which is nice but not something to count on. So you might get lucky and end up keeping both.

I'm into the month of August and have managed to set up all 16 satellites throughout the world. I have 6 interceptors -- 2 in North America, and 1 each in S. America, Africa, Asia, and Europe. When should I begin upgrading my interceptors? I've only encountered 1 serious air battle that required an update (a laser cannon in this case), but I imagine things will ramp up as I advance further. Hangars can hold 4 aircrafts, but is it ever really necessary to fill them to capacity? I seem to be going quite well with what I have right now playing on classic. I have over 75 engineers, and around 45 scientists right now. Is it practical to begin investing in more scientists right now?

I've built a foundy right now, and I've begun using plasma rifles too. Is there anything I should really be beefing up on right now? I found myself at a disadvantage when the game started throwing cyberdiscs, berzerkers, and heavy floaters at me when I was still using laser equipment. Also, I'm still stuck on carapace armor, but I don't know how to begin unlocking more advanced body armor.

I know you can sack soldiers in the game, but can someone tell me when that option is ever warranted?

Rufus

I only keep two flyers in each hangar. Never had both shot down, though there's a first for anything, I suppose. I can imagine situations where you might want more (two plasma and two emp, for instance), but that's going overboard, I think.
Do you need more scientists, i.e. do you have research that you would like done sooner? If so, yes, if not, no.

Well, you answered your own question there: defense. Skeleton armor at least. Then ghost armor (has a grappling hook as well). Some titan armor to whoever doesn't need to be very mobile (typically heavies). Archangel armor for snipers, though I've never felt the need myself. Maybe screw around with a SHIV, too, they're the perfect scouts, especially for terror missions.

Low will makes soldiers a liability, especially later on. It doesn't rise consistently and I think getting critically injured lowers it as well. Considering there are 99 slots I don't know why anyone would ever need to dismiss someone, since you can just sacrifice retire anyone you don't need/want. I guess bad skill choices could make you decide to ditch someone too, but again, there's enough room. Iunno.

When should I expect more advanced alien spacecrafts to begin cropping up in the skies? I'm in the month of August right now, and most of the airborne ufo's are small to medium scouting crafts. I encountered 1 of the larger crafts, but it was ground based-detected before takeoff.

ShaneB

Had another real introduction to Xcom last night... mission where my entire squad got demolished. :( Real demotivating. lol

AEREC

Tried playing Ironman Classic for my first game and ended up getting wrecked on almost every mission and survived for 92 days. Playing on Ironman Normal now just so I can get the hang of it.

Really wish there was steam cloud for this game as it runs on both my gaming PC and laptop (i5, intel HD 3000).

Also they really need to release this on ipad... would be the perfect type for a touch screen device.

daw840

Man....I'm a button press away from the last thing, but I'm waiting until I have 6 Colonels to do it!

I'm close....very close....One of my 4 Colonels is a
Psionic
master too!

Oppo

Tried playing Ironman Classic for my first game and ended up getting wrecked on almost every mission and survived for 92 days. Playing on Ironman Normal now just so I can get the hang of it.

Really wish there was steam cloud for this game as it runs on both my gaming PC and laptop (i5, intel HD 3000).

Also they really need to release this on ipad... would be the perfect type for a touch screen device.

Yes. I would lurve to play it on iPad.

I too am attempting Classic Ironman and its really discouraging. I can usually win the mission (usually) but the attrition rate on my troops is such that i am constantly having to field rookies, undermanned squads, or both. Which leads to a ridiculous number of fuckups, because they are rookies, because they keep getting killed, because they are rookies, which leads to more rookies, more deaths ad nauseum. It's not fun. I have no attachment to these troops because they suck so fucking bad. I just end up yelling at them and telling them they deserve to die.

I can wreck the house on Normal but on 8th attempt at Classic Ironman now and I'm pretty close to just giving up on that idea altogether, which is a shame,I really love the game but the balance on Classic is just too fucked. A dozen missions in and all I have is scopes and medkits, all original gear with rooks, against chrysalids and cyberdisks, everyone is a one shot kill, can't hit for shit... It's just a brutal spiral. I'm looking for tips, maybe I just suck, but it feels like you can be the most brilliant tactician in the world and still watch your whole squad panic and blow each other away entirely in one round.

Yes. I would lurve to play it on iPad.

I too am attempting Classic Ironman and its really discouraging. I can usually win the mission (usually) but the attrition rate on my troops is such that i am constantly having to field rookies, undermanned squads, or both. Which leads to a ridiculous number of fuckups, because they are rookies, because they keep getting killed, because they are rookies, which leads to more rookies, more deaths ad nauseum. It's not fun. I have no attachment to these troops because they suck so fucking bad. I just end up yelling at them and telling them they deserve to die.

I can wreck the house on Normal but on 8th attempt at Classic Ironman now and I'm pretty close to just giving up on that idea altogether, which is a shame,I really love the game but the balance on Classic is just too fucked. A dozen missions in and all I have is scopes and medkits, all original gear with rooks, against chrysalids and cyberdisks, everyone is a one shot kill, can't hit for shit... It's just a brutal spiral. I'm looking for tips, maybe I just suck, but it feels like you can be the most brilliant tactician in the world and still watch your whole squad panic and blow each other away entirely in one round.

- If you find yourself losing a lot of troops you need to rethink your strategies, because losing them in Ironman is normal but it's not normal to be struck using rookies forever.
- Being struck with original gear against chrysalids and cyberdisks is not very correct. You should be beelining for the laser weapons for your research from the start, and you should have laser rifles and heavy laser ready before your first terror mission. Don't bother trying to capture aliens early on, it's not worth it to try getting the tech and an alien containment facility so early.
- Play more conservatively in battle. Approach slowly, always insist on looking for full cover instead of half cover and make sure you trigger the aliens one by one.
- Grenades are overrated, scopes are more useful
- VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure you get 5 satellites up by the end of the 2nd month. If you are lucky you should be able to get them up by the end of the 1st month
- Don't try to save all countries, South America is worthless and you should let the South America countries die.
- Always start your base in Africa
- The first 2 months are the most important part of the game. If you find yourself struggling at the end of that 2 months, in particularly not being able to get 5 satellites up by the end of the 2nd month, restart immediately
- Assaults are worthless, their usefulness is situational and you don't want to rush in with them early in the battle to trigger a whole bunch of enemies. Use a squad of 2 Snipers, 2 Support and 2 Heavies.

Thanks for the tips. Think I was rushing the alien containment thus triggering tougher baddies early.

Enemies are tripped by time mostly, only 2 enemies are story gated, the rest are on a schedule.

As for the other tips, assualts are amazing, grenades are crucial till lasers, and south america can be the best starting location, though its easy to pickup if you like Africa instead. Different strategies are valid ;)

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
- If you find yourself losing a lot of troops you need to rethink your strategies, because losing them in Ironman is normal but it's not normal to be struck using rookies forever.
- Being struck with original gear against chrysalids and cyberdisks is not very correct. You should be beelining for the laser weapons for your research from the start, and you should have laser rifles and heavy laser ready before your first terror mission. Don't bother trying to capture aliens early on, it's not worth it to try getting the tech and an alien containment facility so early.
- Play more conservatively in battle. Approach slowly, always insist on looking for full cover instead of half cover and make sure you trigger the aliens one by one.
- Grenades are overrated, scopes are more useful
- VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure you get 5 satellites up by the end of the 2nd month. If you are lucky you should be able to get them up by the end of the 1st month
- Don't try to save all countries, South America is worthless and you should let the South America countries die.
- Always start your base in Africa
- The first 2 months are the most important part of the game. If you find yourself struggling at the end of that 2 months, in particularly not being able to get 5 satellites up by the end of the 2nd month, restart immediately
- Assaults are worthless, their usefulness is situational and you don't want to rush in with them early in the battle to trigger a whole bunch of enemies. Use a squad of 2 Snipers, 2 Support and 2 Heavies.
Grenades are invaluable because they never miss and allow you to make better, more conservative decisions due to the fact that they are a "safety valve". They reliably change the environment while you're still using Tier 1 gear, and they act independently of whatever restrictions your weapon has (cooldown, move-and-shoot, reload, etc). SCOPEs are nice to have, but as anyone can tell you... those 90+% shots don't mean shit when you miss.

South America's ability is outstanding at every stage of the game because it'll shave down research times and because it has the fewest countries of all the continents. It's easy to lose, yeah, but its easier to defend. Its not a throwaway by any means... in Classic/Impossible though, just take what the game gives you. The only "must have" continent is Asia.

And Assault's being worthless? What in the fuck... Lightning Reflexes alone is worth the entire class. The Assaults are only bad if you have the habit of sending guys across the entire map and through windows like an idiot because you have run&gun. Their crit bonuses and ambient defensive skills are perfect for the risky yet conservative play that many have to play with on high difficulties. Also, Supports are hard to keep around in those difficulties because they simply do not have the damage output to keep up - and on top of that, medkits lose their value because guys will simply die instantly. You generally can't afford to keep that many supports around because they don't end fights fast enough.

TTG

There's no magic formula to the class load out you send on a mission. It's actually VERY well balanced in that regard. Some classes can be more valuable at certain stages in the game though and maybe even on certain mission types.

I would always bring a heavy along in the early stage because that rocket is the only way to erase some of the bad scenarios. There's nothing like already having 4-6 aliens on screen and then a pack of floaters wander into the fray, only to be taken out by a heavy's one turn. It's a life saver. Similarly, I always look to get 2 squad snipers leveled up as soon as possible, because they go from frustrating to absolutely devastating.

Speaking of the curve for how useful a class is at whatever time, I would think assaults are more useful early. Run and Gun with a shotgun has to be the most dependable shot at the beginning of the game. You just have to be judicious with it, like any normal dash.

Top Bottom