• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Grenades are invaluable because they never miss and allow you to make better, more conservative decisions due to the fact that they are a "safety valve". They reliably change the environment while you're still using Tier 1 gear, and they act independently of whatever restrictions your weapon has (cooldown, move-and-shoot, reload, etc). SCOPEs are nice to have, but as anyone can tell you... those 90+% shots don't mean shit when you miss.

South America's ability is outstanding at every stage of the game because it'll shave down research times and because it has the fewest countries of all the continents. It's easy to lose, yeah, but its easier to defend. Its not a throwaway by any means... in Classic/Impossible though, just take what the game gives you. The only "must have" continent is Asia.

And Assault's being worthless? What in the fuck... Lightning Reflexes alone is worth the entire class. The Assaults are only bad if you have the habit of sending guys across the entire map and through windows like an idiot because you have run&gun. Their crit bonuses and ambient defensive skills are perfect for the risky yet conservative play that many have to play with on high difficulties. Also, Supports are hard to keep around in those difficulties because they simply do not have the damage output to keep up - and on top of that, medkits lose their value because guys will simply die instantly. You generally can't afford to keep that many supports around because they don't end fights fast enough.

The way I see it, the best way to play battles in Ironman is to turtle, constantly retreat looking for full cover and shoot your enemies from as far away as possible. It's better to shoot at them from afar with 45% accuracy (boasted by the scope) than it is to attempt to rush in, risk triggering more enemies and risk getting killed when you fail to kill your enemies. You wouldn't want to even be in the range where you can throw grenades.

And Assaults are worthless, at least compared to other classes. Supports are more or less the best class in the game in Ironman because you can't win without their healing and they are the most versatile class with some really good skills. Trying to go for max "damage output" is a folly, what's the use of damage if your troops keep dying?

Rufus

The way I see it, the best way to play battles in Ironman is to turtle, constantly retreat looking for full cover and shoot your enemies from as far away as possible. It's better to shoot at them from afar with 45% accuracy (boasted by the scope) than it is to attempt to rush in, risk triggering more enemies and risk getting killed when you fail to kill your enemies. You wouldn't want to even be in the range where you can throw grenades.
Extended shootouts like that have always ended badly for me. All bets are off once Thinmen are involved. Their aim is better, and when they can't hit you they'll just poison you. Fuck those 45% shots.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

And Assaults are worthless, at least compared to other classes. Supports are more or less the best class in the game in Ironman because you can't win without their healing and they are the most versatile class with some really good skills. Trying to go for max "damage output" is a folly, what's the use of damage if your troops keep dying?

With Impossible, your best bet is to end fights as fast as possible and move as tightly and slowly as you can. If things pop off, you have the option to flank in any direction on the spot. The maps don't change, so most should know where the hot spots and likely contacts are. You can't afford to be shredded by Thin Men in prolonged encounters. Every class but the Support has the ability to one shot a tough enemy - that can't be overstated. Rapid Fire makes the late game enemies free at close range as well.

If you're getting into long range encounters frequently, then you're probably navigating in such a manner that you're seeing enemies before you're ready to deal with them. You're never going to be 100% prepared for every single encounter, but if you can make keep groups small and fights fast and close, then you'll run into much less randomized bullshit that Impossible/Classic throw at you.

Long range encounters work great when enemies don't hit you significantly more than you can hit them. Even with SCOPEs, you're fighting uphill trying to shoot it out like that.

Rufus

Long range encounters work great when enemies don't hit you significantly more than you can hit them. Even with SCOPEs, you're fighting uphill trying to shoot it out like that.
Yup. Even if they don't hit, your cover is going to be gone anyway. Very few spots are save from being shot to bits within one or two hits. Long shootouts are bad, bad, bad.

TTG

Well, having gone through it on ironman classic and plain vanilla impossible, that's not what I would recommend doing.

I always look to minimize the number of shots taken at my guys, unless there's some greater threat(like cryssalids in range or whatever). That means ending encounters quickly, which means avoiding long range encounters. Besides, not only do they have as good, if not better, aim as you do, they also only have to connect a couple of times to hurt you. Move carefully so that you always have the advantage of getting your turn in first, but once it's on, being aggressive is your best bet. As for a lot of retreat, it also means a lot of aliens out in the fog of war in overwatch mode, which really sucks ass. Here are some conditions for when I run away:

-The squad is in a position where only 1 or 2 soldiers can take a shot at the enemy(this is another side effect of a long range firefight. Not all of your squad will be able to get shots in consistently). Fall back and leave the rest of your squad in overwatch for them to walk into when that happens.

-There are way too many enemies on screen. Fall back, some will chase after you and others won't, effectively splitting them up into 2 groups.

The more I think about it, the less I want to be in a long distance encounter, especially early. Floaters can cover so much ground and have the elevation advantage. Thin men start out with 80 aim and get another 10 boost from the light plasma(assuming that bonus counts for both sides). That means a shot across the map and shooting at a guy in full cover is still a coin flip. Then the follow up shot at the now exposed target if the first misses... yeesh. And at that stage, one shot could be an instant kill. Then there is their poison, which is a certain hit.

Miletius

No way dude. Extended firefight is a surefire way to get yourself killed on classic and impossible. You should always be looking for a "1 turn plan" for each assault -- basically a way to eliminate all threats in 1 turn. That doesn't mean rushing in and triggering more enemies but often it means retreating and hunkering down so you don't get one-shot.

Because of that mentality assaults went from my least favorite to favorite class, since they are excellent closers and the guy to use when "x alien needs to die now" comes around.

Jintor

A hundred percent chance to hit with a 30 percent or higher critical chance while wasting enemy reaction fire is nothing to sneeze at.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
A hundred percent chance to hit with a 30 percent or higher critical chance while wasting enemy reaction fire is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus Rapid Fire when you get there?

Suppression > Run&Gun
Flush > Opportunist

My best friends in impossible.

I think Supports make the best Psionics though.

ShaneB

Can anyone link maybe some tutorial vids or a beginner's guide?

I realize my biggest folly is that I rush in far too often to get a kill, and need to slow down more and take advantage of overwatch, but I still feel like I'm getting my ass kicked, even on easy.

I got demolished during a civilian rescue mission, zombies turning into cryssalids, and all that good stuff, where it feels like being slow is a deathwish since they'll be zipping around the map killing civilians.

As I mentioned before, when I love this game, I really love it... but when I hate it, i've thrown my controller. lol

Rufus

I got demolished during a civilian rescue mission, zombies turning into cryssalids, and all that good stuff, where it feels like being slow is a deathwish since they'll be zipping around the map killing civilians.
Fuck the civilians. You're saving their entire country. Unless they're convenient to get to you should prioritize your troops' lives over theirs. Saving civilians doesn't win you the mission, it just gives you a better rating at the end. Failing the missions costs you the entire country. The choice is clear. Fuck the civilians.

As for general tips, some quick searching yields:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/08/xcom-enemy-unknown-guide/
http://www.oxm.co.uk/46682/features...ys-to-utterly-humiliate-enemy-unknown/?page=2
http://www.nowgamer.com/cheats/xcom...my_unknown_strategy_guide_how_to_survive.html
http://www.gamezone.com/products/xc...nating-the-alien-threat-in-xcom-enemy-unknown

There's more of course and I didn't even include GameFAQs or Youtube, so look around.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Yeah, terror missions are the WORST regardless of difficulty. On "easy" they were hard as hell and when I started playing on casual and I was getting mobbed by 3 cyberdiscs AT ONCE along with each's respective drones, AND a pack of crysallids I was like eff this nonsense...

ShaneB

Gotcha.. fuck civilians and fuck those missions. lol

I've decided that this game is basically a roguelike to me now. restarted on Easy ironman, and I'll work my way up eventually. lol

Still doesn't make dealing with soldier deaths any easier :(

I've seen that pcgamer link for ages since I regularly visit the site, I guess it's about time I check it out, thanks for the reminder and the other options. There's plenty of LP's as well, so no shortage of resources.

edit: Listening to the 3MA xcom review episode, and they definitely reiterate how I was feeling early on. The solider design definitely brings about a short of dudebro power that is the opposite of how things are. I want to rush in and be a badass killing machine, but that gets me blown up. lol

Jintor

Question: does Hunker Down actually stop critical hits yet? Did that get patched in?

Is anything else going to wreck my GAF run saves if I update XCOM besides the fucking DLC which would be awesome because god damn those helmets?

McNum

The savegame bug has been hotfixed, it seems. But you have to start a new game to do the DLC, don't know if that includes the helmets.

Miletius

New helmets are awesome! You should jack up to impossible if you haven't already, kind of seems like you're killing it on classic.

McNum

New helmets are awesome! You should jack up to impossible if you haven't already, kind of seems like you're killing it on classic.
It's what XCOM likes to call lulling people into a false sense of security. That and Jintor plays very cautiously. But the really nasty aliens haven't shown up yet in his LP.

ShaneB

The one I can wholeheartedly recommend (it's the only one I watch (sorry Jintor)) is Beaglerush's Impossible Ironman series. Informative and entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXctaw5JGF4LcidFVdkQMV1tc2DfC8x3D

Watch the entire thing. Worth it.

just watched the first episode and watching the second now. I find it rather hilarious. lol thanks for the recommendation.

I guess i've jumped my biggest hurdle in my games I played tonight, definitely need to slow down and abuse overwatch. Doing much better, granted I did revert to easy... but... baby steps!

Got a solider killed as well because I messed up going into wrong cover when I was trying to scope out elevation :(

Finished it last night. This was my first XCOM game, and I played on Normal. In hindsight, I probably should've played Classic mode, because I lost no one.

I also lost no countries, and by the end, everyone was wearing top-end gear. For reference, I used a Support, 2 Heavies, 2 Snipers and a 1 Assault.

Overall, I enjoyed the game, but I was burned out by the end. The missions and limited mission types just weren't different or unique enough to get me to replay it any time soon. Everything started to blur together by the end, and became a grind to the finish.

Truthfully, I felt the progression was almost too linear in the game. I wish there were actual reasons to choose laser weapons over plasma, interceptors over demons, etc. But, much of the game ends being a race to get the very obvious top-of-the-line thing. I will say the high-end armor does attempt to offer some options, but ultimately, Ghost Armor is simply beastly for anyone that's not Psi-gifted. I took out the "end boss" in one turn by running up to him with my assault and scoring a critical hit with the Alloy Cannon.

In short, awesome first effort by Firaxis. Hopefully, the next game addresses my very fixable issues.

ShaneB

Feel like I'm kicking ass on Easy now, after learning a bit more.

Which will come to a crashing halt when I get to a mission and a reality check and I get my ass whooped.
KuGsj.gif
just taking it slow certainly makes things much more manageable.

Blueblur1

I looked up this thread with the intent of asking for tips before I load up the game but I see that there's plenty already on this page. Did some ready so I'm about to jump in. Hope I don't suck. :p

Couple questions:

What's the micro management like? I see in the demo stuff like troops getting injured, I find that stuff to be pretty cool.

How long is the campaign if I play on the highest available difficulty? How extensive is the DLC supposed to be? Is it just more maps, or like new units/ways of playing?

What to you guys are the biggest negatives? What is this I hear about line of sight?

I am likely going to get this once a price drop hits after Xmas. Liked the demo, love what I'm hearing about it being challenging as well

Couple questions:

What's the micro management like? I see in the demo stuff like troops getting injured, I find that stuff to be pretty cool.
Not very complicated but you will have to make some tough choices over how to use the resources you get. You need to build facilities for upgrades/weapons/power/etc. You gather resources from combat.

How long is the campaign if I play on the highest available difficulty? How extensive is the DLC supposed to be? Is it just more maps, or like new units/ways of playing?
Around 30 hours. DLC so far has been pretty disapointing, mostly visual stuff, a new unique unit and just a few new missions/maps

What to you guys are the biggest negatives? What is this I hear about line of sight?
No negatives for me :p

I am likely going to get this once a price drop hits after Xmas. Liked the demo, love what I'm hearing about it being challenging as well

daw840

Couple questions:

Lol.....come back and talk to us when you play an hour or so on impossible! I eagerly await your impressions...

McNum

Is Ironman available from the getgo? I want to be punished. I've been a naughty boy.
I can't remember, but I believe you can do it. You're forced to do the tutorial first time through the game, as far as I remember. Which is good, since XCOM has a very... unique approach to its tutorial.
It demonstrates what NOT to do.

I can't remember, but I believe you can do it. You're forced to do the tutorial first time through the game, as far as I remember. Which is good, since XCOM has a very... unique approach to its tutorial.
It demonstrates what NOT to do.

Tutorial is not forced and I'm pretty sure Ironman is available from the beginning. On the PC anyway.

ShaneB

Yeah, confirming that you can jump into Ironman right away.

Still feels like I'm cheating by playing it on Easy, but still when I meet a pack of Sectoid Commanders I tremble!

Couple questions:

Not a lot, but you'll need to decide how to allocate resourses for things like research speed, troop equipment, and engineering.

~20-30 hours for a successful campaign. But you probably won't beat it your first go. And you definitely won't on ironman impossible.

Mildly bugging, which is only really concerning on ironman. Things like not having line off sight when you expected too, and enemies dropping in from nowhere.

No randomly generated maps. After about 80 hours and 10 campaigns you start seeing to same maps over and over and it takes a lot of the strategy out.

Balboa

Started playing this last night, loaded the game up this morning and I have no save data? What am I missing here? I thought the game used autosave and I saw no option to save game before I quit.

So, I'm a little late to the party, but, I got this for Christmas :)
What should I expect? Any tips?

There's a big jump between difficulty levels. The most rewarding way to play the game is Classic Ironman(CI) , it's hard, but beatable. You may not be able to get very far in that your first few times through (First three games, I couldn't get past the third month on CI). If you want, go back and save scum, replay conflicts in a few ways to see what works and what doesn't, then go back and play on CI.

In game, engineers and satelites are your most important resources early on. Labs are important too.

The most important structure early on is the officer training school, build it early since it lets you get 6 boots on the ground, which is pretty huge.

Babysit a sniper till he/she gets squadsight.

don't neglect the consumable buffs for your interceptors, the first one you get can dramatically improve your chances against larger UFOs even with the default interceptor.

The enemy AI is smart, but it doesn't cheat. If you can hide a unit out of view, the AI will make poor choices, and put units into easily flankable positions. Speaking of which, try to avoid situations where you can only have one angle. Flanking is key, but be judicious with it, don't just send your colonel assault into the darkness if you don't know what's there.

So, I'm a little late to the party, but, I got this for Christmas :)
What should I expect? Any tips?

You should expect to have a great time!

- Play on classic if you like a good challenge, play on normal if you're easily discouraged. Don't turn on Ironman (yet).

- Having satellites is the key to maintaining terror levels and making money. For satellites you need satellite uplinks, and for uplinks you need engineers. So always think ahead about not just what you need, but what you need for what you need.

- The key to success during the combat is slow and steady- use one turn for movement, use the next for overwatch/ shooting/ hunker down/ retreating.

- Watch the XCOM videos on Beaglerush's Youtube channel. They're funny and informative.

TTG

Saw this article in another thread:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-22-games-of-2012-xcom-enemy-unknown

Personally, I think he got bogged down a bit too much with the nitpicking(and differently sized weapons and the sometimes sucky class selection is just that, there are certainly bigger flaws). It also feels like he left out, or took for granted, some of things XCOM did so well. The depth and layers that enemy and player advancement through the tech and ability trees provide coupled with the impeccable timing of the pacing.

Nothing flagrant, just not the things that I will remember about the game.

Rufus

He's right about the things he mentions though. The fact that they seem nitpicky is testament to the overall quality of the game. I think. It is annoying that you can't pick up an unused medkit if whoever was carrying it got incapacitated. I've never had the game give me too many of any one class, but I can see why he would be annoyed getting so many snipers specifically. They are tricky to level up before you get squad sight.

Kard8p3

So, I'm only 4 hours in, and I can see why Ryan Davis of Giantbomb picked this as his GOTY. This game is crazy fun..and since I've never played an XCOM game before, I've never had this kind of experience, it's once in lifetime thing I do believe :)

edit: generally speaking, how long is the average length? I definitely don't want this to end anytime soon.

Is there a year or month the game ends?

I'm wondering how long I can safely grind a bit.

Also, even on normal, some of these scenarios feel way to fucking hard. I hate myself for reloading so often, but I can't help it. Especially without my srpg tactic of being able to cancel a move to check hit percentages.

edit: generally speaking, how long is the average length? I definitely don't want this to end anytime soon.

Probably average about 30 hours.

Is there a year or month the game ends?

I'm wondering how long I can safely grind a bit.

There are no time restrictions, the game only ends when you beat it, or 8 members of the council leave. You can grind all you want.

YES!

Deadman

Completed for the first time today. Definitely my favourite game of the year.

I think my sniper had 100 kills by the end. My next game i think ill go sniperless so i can explore the other classes more.

Top Bottom